Home U.S. Coin Forum

How about some Eagle photos?

Comments

• in2Coinsin2Coins Posts: 320 ✭✭✭✭

@PeakRarities said:
    My favorite iteration of an "Eagle" on U.S. Coin designs, though it looks more like a goose. This one is no longer with me, gone but never forgotten 😢.

Wow!

@jtlee321 said:
    @in2Coins you are doing a great job with your images. One suggestion if you don't mind a little feedback. Increase your exposure in your images above by around a full stop. I'd do this by adjusting your shutter speed. I'm not sure how long your shutter speed is currently, but if it's around 1/30 second adjust it to 1/15 - 1/13 second. This will give you an increase in exposure of a full stop to 1.3 stops. I've downloaded your first image above and made an adjustment in Photoshop of 1.35 stops to produce the resulting image.

Before:

After:

Here are some screen shots of the histograms of each image. The histogram is a graphical representation of the tonal range of an image. The left side represents shadow detail or darkest areas of the image, the lowest level is 0 or black/no shadow information. The right side represents highlight detail of the brightest areas of an image, the highest level is 255 or white/no highlight image information. Here are the histograms of the images above.

Before:

After:

If you notice in the before image the large spikes at the far left and the gentle hump in the middle that trails off to nothing at about the 80% mark before it reaches the right side? That indicates an underexposure with no highlights getting even remotely close to full values of 255.

The after image shows the large spike on the left reduced in height greatly and the hump that was in the middle has shifted towards the right. Again, it does not quite reach all the way to the right, but much more of the image information has been shifted towards the highlights producing a brighter image. This is getting very close to what you want. Having the right side of the hump end just before or right at the right edge is what you want to see in your images of most blast white silver coins.

Now what you don't want is the information shifted too far to the right as it will indicate an overexposure and blown out hightlights. Below is an example with a corresponding histogram. These images show an increase of the original by 2 full stops in exposure.

Notice the shift in that hump to the right that is now starting to become a spike? This is what you want to avoid.

Take this information and do some testing. I think you will start to get some great results that will take your photography to an even higher level. Keep it up and have some fun!

Not at all! Feedback from expert like you is always welcome. To be honest, I hardly ever pay attention to the histogram…. I will now.

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:
    In the “wine world”, here’s a representation of Napa Valley’s top Cult cabernet:

Steve

Steve -
    You know I love that one!
    Ken

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• @Mr_Spud said:
    In no particular order, here’s some of my favorite Eagles coin images from my collection

And here’s a few actual Eagle pictures I took from when I went to Alaska

@OAKSTAR said:

Gorgeous stuff gentlemen!!!

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 3, 2024 2:59PM

................and just like that, there goes a perfectly nice thread. 😢 😡

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,488 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 3, 2024 3:58PM

:|

Wow….just wow!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file