Home U.S. Coin Forum

Ever Just Miss A Coin You Really Need?

M4MadnessM4Madness Posts: 225 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 1, 2024 7:25AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I know it's just a trivial, rather inexpensive coin, but I'm pretty desperate for a PCGS XF45 1884-CC Morgan dollar for my Carson City registry set -- I've decided that my new goal is the entire set in XF45. The 1884-CC is definitely a tough one in circulated grades! I am fortunate to own both an XF40 and an AU50, but the XF45 remains elusive.

I check eBay, Heritage, Great Collections, Collector's Corner, and various other coin shop sites numerous times a week. Imagine my angst this morning when I found a newly-listed one that was already marked "SOLD". How could I have missed it? Alas, it's not some six-figure coin, but it still stings nonetheless. LOL!

Comments

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crack and resubmit your 40 and 50 in hopes of that elusive 45.

• M4MadnessM4Madness Posts: 225 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2024 7:45AM

@Coinscratch said:

Oh, I've definitely thought of that option, but it's tough convincing myself to throw a lot of money at a $250 coin. Lol! My PCGS membership expires this month, so there's a minimum of $69 . Then two-way shipping and order and grading fees for coins that aren't guaranteed to upgrade/downgrade. It's frustrating, but it'll be that much more exciting when I do get one.

My set doesn't reflect it yet, but I have four incoming XF45 coins to replace some XF40s and one AU50, so I'm pretty close to my goal.

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's the pop in xf45?

theknowitalltroll;
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neat goal ... I hope you find them all in the grade and look you want. I looked and have to say if they all had the look of the 78, wow, what a set to behold. Good luck!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
    edited September 1, 2024 8:28AM

@BAJJERFAN said:
    What's the pop in xf45?

My AU50 is 9 and my XF40 is 19.

I know it sounds crazy, but I'd pay twice PCGS Price Guide for an XF45. I guess I'm just too OCD. Lol!

• The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 909 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bad advice you shouldn't listen to is cracking out the AU-50, carry it in your pocket for however long, and resubmit.

Stick to the hunt, it's always more rewarding.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2024 8:56AM

I missed an important SLQ one time. I spent too long debating over whether or not to purchase it, when I should’ve just pulled the trigger.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• BustDMsBustDMs Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes 😢

Q: When does a collector become a numismatist?

A: The year they spend more on their library than their coin collection.

A numismatist is judged more on the content of their library than the content of their cabinet.
  • BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many times.

3 rim nicks away from Good
    edited September 1, 2024 12:25PM

I wish someone would create a site where you could enter the coin you are looking for and it would scan all sites that sell coins numerous times a day and notify you if one comes up for sale. I know that the premise works, as I've seen it work with firearm parts and accessories. I remember when some stuff was hard to come by and I'd be on my laptop and a pop-up would show something in stock and I'd pounce before it sold out. Those were the days. Lol!

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

@M4Madness said:
    I wish someone would create a site where you could enter the coin you are looking for and it would scan all sites that sell coins numerous times a day and notify you if one comes up for sale. I know that the premise works, as I've seen it work with firearm parts and accessories. I remember when some stuff was hard to come by and be on my laptop and a pop-up would show something in stock and I'd pounce before it sold out. Those were the days. Lol!

Collectors corner sort of does that, with some exceptions. Have you tried it?

https://www.collectorscorner.com/Coins/

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

edited September 1, 2024 12:37PM

@PeakRarities said:

No, but I will. I simply just visit the site quite often and manually search. I do have a saved search on Heritage and eBay though. It's impossible to check online inventories of every coin shop out there, so I resort to Google searches as well. I've even checked the PCGS registry in the past looking for coins that someone may have and be willing to part with for a price. Lol!

Please keep your eyes open, Dan, in your travels. I was able to acquire four coins from a retired set after someone here saw it for sale in its entirety at a show and I was able to sleuth my way into finding where the set was located and cannibalize it last week. Lol!

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

@M4Madness said:

@PeakRarities said:

No, but I will. I simply just visit the site quite often and manually search. I do have a saved search on Heritage and eBay though. It's impossible to check online inventories of every coin shop out there, so I resort to Google searches as well. I've even checked the PCGS registry in the past looking for coins that someone may have and be willing to part with for a price. Lol!

Please keep your eyes open, Dan, in your travels. I was able to acquire four coins from a retired set after someone here saw it for sale in its entirety at a show and I was able to sleuth my way into finding where the set was located and cannibalize it last week. Lol!

I will certainly add it to my master want list, and keep an eye out for ya!

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PeakRarities said:

@M4Madness said:
    I wish someone would create a site where you could enter the coin you are looking for and it would scan all sites that sell coins numerous times a day and notify you if one comes up for sale. I know that the premise works, as I've seen it work with firearm parts and accessories. I remember when some stuff was hard to come by and be on my laptop and a pop-up would show something in stock and I'd pounce before it sold out. Those were the days. Lol!

I've used Collectorscorner,COM a few times, sometimes before a major show, and have found some items. The trouble is it seems like in this market that everything in the auctions and the dealers don't have that much. I pretty much hate auctions and avoid them when I can. I count on one hand the times I got a bargain. Mostly it's gulp and bid, sometimes way too much.

For some people, the buyers' fee means nothing. They just bid as if the 20% isn't there.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭

@M4Madness said:

@BAJJERFAN said:
    What's the pop in xf45?

I know it sounds crazy, but I'd pay twice PCGS Price Guide for an XF45. I guess I'm just too OCD. Lol!

Make that offer to the seller. He may be able to cut a deal with the buyer.

Seeing as how I'm very specific about the grade, and there are currently only 31 specimens to pick from, I'll definitely overpay if I find one to complete the set. I can't afford to be choosy. Lol! It's just one of those deals where there are thousands of MS versions available -- and probably the same price as an XF45.

edited September 1, 2024 1:04PM

@DocBenjamin said:

@M4Madness said:

@BAJJERFAN said:
    What's the pop in xf45?

Make that offer to the seller. He may be able to cut a deal with the buyer.

First thing I did this morning was contact the seller (who is a PCGS Authorized Dealer) and ask if he could email the buyer on my behalf and let them know that I have two coins with grades bookending theirs that I could trade or that I could even pay for it outright if they have a price in mind. (I have no idea what the sale price originally was.) Hopefully I'll hear back from the seller in a couple of days.

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

@M4Madness said:

@Coinscratch said:

Oh, I've definitely thought of that option, but it's tough convincing myself to throw a lot of money at a $250 coin. Lol! My PCGS membership expires this month, so there's a minimum of $69 . Then two-way shipping and order and grading fees for coins that aren't guaranteed to upgrade/downgrade. It's frustrating, but it'll be that much more exciting when I do get one.

My set doesn't reflect it yet, but I have four incoming XF45 coins to replace some XF40s and one AU50, so I'm pretty close to my goal.

OCD! You said it not me, send the 40 to NGC and the 50 to Cat. Oh, but wait a minute then the labels won’t match…

@DDR said:
    Years ago, I put together a circulated set of CC silver dollars. An 1884-CC in EF-45 is very tough to find! Mine is F-15, see below. (Coin in hand looks nicer than the photo.) Good luck with your search.

I prefer Morgans that look like yours as opposed to blast white ones (sorry RickO). I'd love to eventually branch out to other Carson City dollars like you have, but doubt I ever do. You've done a great job!

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've never "needed" a coin. I've "wanted" a few.

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Often, as underbidder in particular.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file