Home U.S. Coin Forum

Any one have any Sutler's Tokens they can show?

MWallaceMWallace Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have only begun learning about Sutler's tokens from the Civil War. At this point I know very little. Does anyone have one or some they can show?

Comments

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try searching it.

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    Here is my complete set of denominations for the 23rd Regiment of Massachusetts:

I knew you'd show up. Awesome set. Thanks for sharing.

• MWallaceMWallace Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    People know me. I have a little bit of everything.

I too collect a little bit of everything. Thanks for sharing your Sutler tokens.

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MWallace said:

@DCW said:
    Here is my complete set of denominations for the 23rd Regiment of Massachusetts:

I love military tokens in general, and if I had the money I'd move into collecting Sutlers. They can get prohibitively expensive.
    But seriously, what could be cooler regarding numismatics during the Civil War?
    These were in the hands of our soldiers!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 3, 2024 9:52AM

@DCW said:

@MWallace said:

@DCW said:

I love military tokens in general, and if I had the money I'd move into collecting Sutlers. They can get prohibitively expensive.
    But seriously, what could be cooler regarding numismatics during the Civil War?
    These were in the hands of our soldiers!

Given the state of preservation of many of the pieces offered sale, I doubt that they were used on the battlefield. A great many Civil War token varieties were made to sell to collectors. When you see pieces in Choice VF and EF, they are probably real, made for commerce, tokens. These pieces didn’t circulate for that long, so high end circulated pieces are not unusual. Some of the Mint State pieces were saved or were leftovers.

BUT off metals, and some of the more spectacular errors are suspect.

Civil War dog tags are much more credible, but they are also quite expensive.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file