Home U.S. Coin Forum

Recalling stuff that you bought with a single coin.

No more no less.

Recall Archie comic books at a Dime. 4% Sales tax in my state did not kick in until about twenty cents, so you were good to go.

:)

Comments

• olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭

Still can purchase a bottle of water at a New York newsstand with one dollar coin.

• SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Phannemiller's drug store counter
    Paper cone cup in a metal holder
    Seltzer and a shot of coke syrup
    Cost a Buffalo or Jefferson nickel
    I'm talking '59-'60

The entertainment can never be overdressed....except in burlesque

• DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭

Mad Mad Mad Mad World at the Mai Kai.

Might of been after they raised the price to 30 cents, but I am sticking with the quarter.

Best movie ever made!!!

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a young boy, I could take a 1 cent coin and place it in a penny gumball machine and get 5 small gumballs. I remember when it changed to 2 gumballs, only a little larger in size. Then it went just a little larger and only one, and so on. Now the only gumball machine I have seen is a quarter dollar for one about the size of a quarter but thin.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would buy Bazooka Joe bubble gum for a nickel as a kid in the early 80's.

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a single pack of Topp's baseball cards for a nickel and a DC comic book for a dime.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    Bought three gallons of gas for my Bug, with three silver quarters in 1964.

bob :)

I had a 63 Morris Minor with an MG engine that got 48 mpg. It held 7 gallons of gas, I filled it up every week or so for $1.50 or so. Would go on a date with $10 and bring home several dollars. Unreal today.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

First class postage stamp for a nickel.
    Phone call from a pay phone for a dime.
    Coke from a vending machine for a nickel until around 1960 and then later raised to a dime.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

@PerryHall said:
    Phone call from a pay phone for a dime.
    Coke from a vending machine for a nickel until around 1960 and then later raised to a dime.

Was the postage higher for Pony Express?

:*

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

Devil dogs were 5 cents….

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• TypekatTypekat Posts: 317 ✭✭✭✭

Yep, 1962 Topps baseball cards, 5 in a pack plus a piece of gum, for 5c.

What would an unopened pack be worth today?

30+ years coin shop experience (ret.) Coins, bullion, currency, scrap & interesting folks. Loved every minute!

Any old timers here remember those gumball machines that took a penny for a gumball?

"Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DocBenjamin said:

@Typekat said:
    Yep, 1962 Topps baseball cards, 5 in a pack plus a piece of gum, for 5c.

What would an unopened pack be worth today?

Not sure...but the gum would be just as fresh.

North of $3k
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/266843541960?

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe cigarettes were a quarter. A quarter for all day cartoons at the movie theater. As a kid I didn’t buy groceries (or cigarettes) but bet many staples were 25c. Lots of penny candy. Recall all comics were 10c. I believe Mad was 25c. Don’t shoot me if I’m off, memory is a funny thing. I was a kid in the 50’s. An allowance of 50c a week wasn’t unusual. Required chores.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember nickel Cokes at the gas station up at the corner, but you had to drink it there and leave the bottle. Nickel candy bars in the vending machine.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought a 1943 war nickel for a quarter at Woolworth.

peacockcoins

• thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two of my favorites from the early 60's.
    Baseball Bucks .....small play money like pieces with a baseball player on the obverse and the team logo on the reverse. They measured about 3 1/2 by 1 1/2 inches. You got one baseball 'note' and a stick of gum, on a cardboard and in a wax wrapper....one cent.
    Chum Gum......two sticks of delicious bubble gum, in paper wrappers, with a little white paper band to keep them together....one cent.

• GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Chunky candy bar (5 cents), a Table Talk miniature pie (12 cents) a pack of Topps baseball cards (5 cents), with the remaining 3 cents in penny candy for a total of a quarter. And this was even after the quarter stopped being made of silver. Damn, somewhere along the line I got old...

• GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oldabeintx said:
    I believe cigarettes were a quarter. A quarter for all day cartoons at the movie theater. As a kid I didn’t buy groceries (or cigarettes) but bet many staples were 25c. Lots of penny candy. Recall all comics were 10c. I believe Mad was 25c. Don’t shoot me if I’m off, memory is a funny thing. I was a kid in the 50’s. An allowance of 50c a week wasn’t unusual. Required chores.

Wow, you made big bucks if you received a fifty-cent allowance! I used to get fifty cents every two weeks and this was in the early to mid-sixties. All for mowing an acre's worth of lawn with a push mower, shoveling lake-effect snow from our 75' driveway, drying the dishes, taking out the trash and babysitting my sisters on bowling night.

• DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DocBenjamin said:

@PerryHall said:

Was the postage higher for Pony Express?

Back in the day (1847)

@CaptHenway said:
    I remember nickel Cokes at the gas station up at the corner, but you had to drink it there and leave the bottle.

There was a metal rack on the side of the machine where you left the bottle. The bottles were glass and they were collected, washed, and reused again by the bottling company. The bottom of the bottle showed the city of the original bottling company that created the bottle and it was fun see where the bottle originally came from. If you bought the coke from a grocery store, they charged a 2C refundable deposit. We would collect bottles from the side of the road and turn then in for the deposit. Of course, we would then spend the money at the store on candy. :D

@oldabeintx said:

In the mid-50's, cigarettes we 23c a pack and the vending machines would require a quarter but you would get back the 2c change which was packaged within the cellophane of the packs. This is how many of the 1955 DDO were initially put into circulation.

• gonzergonzer Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beatles trading cards from the Helm's bakery truck for a nickel or dime (?). Now there's some unopened stuff that'd be worth some major $$$.

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭✭✭

Of course PENNY CANDY, that's how it got it's name!! A roll of Lifesavers was just a nickel. A comic book was 12¢, just up from a dime, soon to become 15¢...but the Giant Size Comic Book was a quarter. Just checked, an Archie Digest is now ten bucks.

Pinball was a dime a game, and if you were decent, free games were not hard to win.

• VeepVeep Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭✭

For a dime, you could swim all day at the local pool, get stamped and come back after dinner.

"Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would eagerly go to the tiny tobacco/newspaper store near my grandmother's house and hope they still had a copy of Coin World left, I think it was 15 cents in the early 1960's

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • TypekatTypekat Posts: 317 ✭✭✭✭

Hershey bars were a dime, “Zero bars” plus some other crappy off-brands, were a nickel.

30+ years coin shop experience (ret.) Coins, bullion, currency, scrap & interesting folks. Loved every minute!

• seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭

I was way off in my head when I read this question. I was thinking of how I sold my 1872-S Seated dollar to put a transmission in my wife's Chevy. James
    P.S. I had a sour tooth instead of sweet. One giant pickle at the deli store 5 cents.

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember the old gumball machines. 1 cent got ya one 🥲

• goldengolden Posts: 9,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember Cokes for a Dime.

• ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anybody spent a Bitcoin lately?

• coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the local movie house, a truck outside sold Sabrett hot dogs for a dime or 3 for a quarter. The movies theater with 2 movies were a dime. At a White Castle you could get 10 hamburgers with onions for $1.00

@CaptHenway said:

@PerryHall said:

@oldabeintx said:

In the mid-50's, cigarettes we 23c a pack and the vending machines would require a quarter but you would get back the 2c change which was packaged within the cellophane of the packs. This is how many of the 1955 DDO were initially put into circulation.

Cable Channel MeTV has a show “Bugs Bunny and Friends” that shows every cartoon that Warner Brothers ever did, and in one episode Bugs bought a carrot out of a vending machine for a quarter, and it came wrapped in cellophane with two Lincoln cents inside the cellophane!!! Late 40’s or early 50’s.

That must have been in Albuquerque.

B)

Do any of you old guys remember those vending machines on the men's room wall at many gas stations? I remember they took a quarter. ;)

• DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DocBenjamin said:
    Pinball was a dime a game, and if you were decent, free games were not hard to win.

And after I quickly went through a dollar's worth of dimes, I said "no" to pinball machines. Afterwards I often wondered if a strong magnet would have controlled the balls ..

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Saturday morning movie small coke and popcorn for a quarter in the only place in town that was air conditioned.

• Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭✭

@oldabeintx said:

some packs would have two cents enclosed with them, net price, $0.23.

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crown bologna sandwich with tomato, snickers bar and a 16 oz. RC cola for a Kennedy half.

Single packs cards of all 4 sports were a dime each late 60's early 70's.

Gallon of leaded gas was a fifty cent piece.

Late 1960's at school, a cruddy hamburger was forty cents, but they would sell the bun for a dime.

A kid was short on money, bought the bun and filled it with mustard, ketchup, onions and relish. Said it tasted as good as a burger.

Guess I met the first vegan.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file