Home U.S. Coin Forum

Local PBCC Coin Show Robbery

13»

Comments

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

@seatedlib3991 said:
    It has been my experience in life that crooks work harder at their "job', than regular people work at real jobs. I also would not be surprised if there were more people involved in the theft.
    5 years ago at the MN. Ren. Fest my family and me were sitting in a food court. I noticed a young lady who "acted' like she was in line(while talking on the phone), but she never got any food. Then I noticed there were 2 young men who over and over again passed through the line of people at that stand and "accidentally' bumped into the person just leaving with food. The young men would then go over to this old woman in a wheelchair and pat her on the back.
    We were 10 feet from a security booth so I pointed out what I thought was going on. both young men got away but they caught the girl on the phone and i was told later that the woman in the wheelchair had over 2 dozen wallets. Sometimes you have to pay attention in life, but having said that I repeat, The crooks often work harder than average people so be alert. James

How hard was the security in the booth working that day.
    You have to be your own security.

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 660 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PeakRarities said:

@AUandAG said:
    Tasers are legal in 45 States. Only illegal in Washington DC, Hawaii, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New York, and New Jersey. Might want to consider having on in hand when exiting, or entering a show. Just say'n.
    bob :)
    PS: pepper spray/mace is legal in all states.

Tasers? This is Florida, Bob. I carry a 9mm at the show lol.

Same here. Loaded up with bi-metallic Hornady Critical Duty.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

edited September 6, 2024 7:39PM

@AUandAG said:
    Tasers are legal in 45 States. Only illegal in Washington DC, Hawaii, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New York, and New Jersey. Might want to consider having on in hand when exiting, or entering a show. Just say'n.

Sir, I would highly suggest not attempting to deploy a taser for self-defense during a robbery as you are very likely to in-turn be shot with a real gun by the bad guy(s). I don’t write this to be funny, but deadly serious.

On another note, I’m pretty sure this thread will be kaput by 09:15 PST on Monday. It’s too bad. This is the kinda entertainment I’d pay admission for. Sorry, Dan! 😂

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 878 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PeakRarities said:

@air4mdc said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@seatedlib3991 said:
    Words can change but according to the book "Words and phrases by origin", nit picking refers to the tendency of buyers in early industrial England to denigrate the work of women working at home making knitted goods so they could pay less. James

That can't be accurate. "Nit" refers to the egg sac of a louse. Nit picking was literally the picking of nits from the hair of an infected person.

When slaves were brought over to America the floors of the ships were covered with lice {nits} and after the slaves were unloaded the ship's crew would nit-pick or delouse the flooring.

I reject your reality, and would like to substitute my own, in which the lice were actually part of the slaving crew (you know, since we’re now basing political correctness standards off of unsubstantiated claims and pretend history).

Ahhh……shucks, I sure didn’t mean for this thread to get this far out of hand. All I wanted to do was to help out someone I don’t even know, someone that was robbed and assaulted. Someone’s misfortune that was to be advertised on the internet. One of us. Go ahead and repost the photo. Let’s see how ethical you are amongst your peers. From what I’m reading here, your requesting peers( the many with private profiles) are requesting you to repost it. I will say that you will lose my respect if you do. But who am I? I’m just a nit picker from what I read here. Recently there was a well known dealer that was robbed in Spain. I don’t think he would have appreciated a photo taken by you of him providing a statement the to the authorities after the incident and posted to this site. Would you have posted the picture if it was that dealer?
    @jmlanzaf - I cannot recall where I read about the origins of “nit picking.”I really didn’t make it up, I assure you.

• DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭

@air4mdc said:

@PeakRarities said:

@air4mdc said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@seatedlib3991 said:
    Words can change but according to the book "Words and phrases by origin", nit picking refers to the tendency of buyers in early industrial England to denigrate the work of women working at home making knitted goods so they could pay less. James

That can't be accurate. "Nit" refers to the egg sac of a louse. Nit picking was literally the picking of nits from the hair of an infected person.

When slaves were brought over to America the floors of the ships were covered with lice {nits} and after the slaves were unloaded the ship's crew would nit-pick or delouse the flooring.

I reject your reality, and would like to substitute my own, in which the lice were actually part of the slaving crew (you know, since we’re now basing political correctness standards off of unsubstantiated claims and pretend history).

Ahhh……shucks, I sure didn’t mean for this thread to get this far out of hand. All I wanted to do was to help out someone I don’t even know, someone that was robbed and assaulted. Someone’s misfortune that was to be advertised on the internet. One of us. Go ahead and repost the photo. Let’s see how ethical you are amongst your peers. From what I’m reading here, your requesting peers( the many with private profiles) are requesting you to repost it. I will say that you will lose my respect if you do. But who am I? I’m just a nit picker from what I read here. Recently there was a well known dealer that was robbed in Spain. I don’t think he would have appreciated a photo taken by you of him providing a statement the to the authorities after the incident and posted to this site. Would you have posted the picture if it was that dealer?
    @jmlanzaf - I cannot recall where I read about the origins of “nit picking.”I really didn’t make it up, I assure you.

2024 there is an unfortunate expectation of zero privacy once you exit the front door of your home. Hell, the phones are tapped by the damn carrier that you pay the monthly fee to.

Pull out the drive and the neighbor can document the time on their door cam.

Drop into Wal-Mart and smile 17 times as you cross the parking lot to get into the front door.

Stupidly we did this to ourselves.

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DocBenjamin said:

Yet it doesn't seem so stupid once video evidence of a crime is needed.

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

@hummingbird_coins said:

@DocBenjamin said:

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Ben Franklin

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2024 11:50PM

@DocBenjamin said:

@hummingbird_coins said:

@DocBenjamin said:

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Ben Franklin

Interesting article about the context of this quote

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PeakRarities said:

@AUandAG said:

Currently, 27 states have enacted "Constitutional carry" laws. If you can legally own a gun, you can legally carry it concealed on your person.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PeakRarities said:

@air4mdc said:

@PeakRarities said:

@air4mdc said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@seatedlib3991 said:

I was just ribbing you for the Lice/nits/slavery association of which there is no sources to back that up. I thought we had all moved past the photo thing. but now that you dredged it up, I want to make one thing clear.

YOU (and Jmlanzaf) overreacted, period. The photo showed nothing more than the back of an old man's head, with white hair, from a distance. It was impossible to identify him, he was standing in a parking lot next to a busy road, and in no way was it an invasion of his privacy. Youre the only one that sees it as some grave "misfortune". I talked to the collector after he had been assaulted, with blood dripping off of his knees, as he exclaimed to everyone in the room that he had just been robbed. He was not concerned with privacy, his concern was that the bastard be caught and he get his 3k in coins back.

I'm not going to repost the photo, because the issue was dead and the photos dont really add, nor detract, from the topic (which Jmlanzaf was right about), but as we said earlier, photos help paint a picture for readers. With that said, you're really reaching with the "ethics" argument of posting a picture, which again, I removed when two people who took umbrage for some reason asked that I remove it. Regardless, I have NOTHING to prove here. Those who know me and have dealt with me, know very well that my ethics are unimpeachable, and I'm one of the most honest dealers in this business, at least I feel that I am. If i had left the photo up, that would have no bearing on "ethics" whatsoever. I have no ill-will towards you and the fact that you took issue with the photo has no impact on me, its old news and everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, if you take note that your original comment has a single "lol", and my comments that followed have 10-15 "agrees", perhaps youll see that maybe, just maybe, that your take on this situation was, in fact, an overreaction.

Actually, I think everyone else overreacted. We both made a calm suggestion for a stated reason. Other people acted like we had killed Santa. If you had ignored the request, no one was raising a ruckus.

@air4mdc said:

@PeakRarities said:

@air4mdc said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@seatedlib3991 said:

Wherever you read it, i think it is fake news. You don't clean a ship by picking nits. They would sulfur the ship or another more holistic method. Sulfur was used going back to medieval times.

• tcollectstcollects Posts: 985 ✭✭✭✭✭

we need to set up enticing traps for show crooks and then have numismatic punishments like slabbing them whole or dunking them in a vat of dip or something

• SIowhandSIowhand Posts: 336 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish said:

@PeakRarities said:

@AUandAG said:

Typical for the weak Gen Z kids these days. What kind of stopping power is that? In my day we all carried .45s

😉😂

All tough guys carry 10mm now :)

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've lost track of who is nit-picking and who is being nit-picked. 🤔

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an OED in my library. Please don't make me look up the origin of "nit"! :s

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Why is the cotton pickin peanut gallery getting all uppity over nit picking?

@jmlanzaf said:

@air4mdc said:

@PeakRarities said:

@air4mdc said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@seatedlib3991 said:

Wherever you read it, i think it is fake news. You don't clean a ship by picking nits. They would sulfur the ship or another more holistic method. Sulfur was used going back to medieval times.

@jmlanzaf - The article I read actually went into more detail about the picking of nits, especially from heads and how deck floors were subject to infestation. I was just sparing all of us the TMI thing. I know there is more information on this subject, I just don't really care to delve into it. It could have been fake news for all I know, nothing is real anymore except my bank account balance. > @PeakRarities said:

@air4mdc said:

@PeakRarities said:

@air4mdc said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@seatedlib3991 said:

I was just ribbing you for the Lice/nits/slavery association of which there is no sources to back that up. I thought we had all moved past the photo thing. but now that you dredged it up, I want to make one thing clear.

YOU (and Jmlanzaf) overreacted, period. The photo showed nothing more than the back of an old man's head, with white hair, from a distance. It was impossible to identify him, he was standing in a parking lot next to a busy road, and in no way was it an invasion of his privacy. Youre the only one that sees it as some grave "misfortune". I talked to the collector after he had been assaulted, with blood dripping off of his knees, as he exclaimed to everyone in the room that he had just been robbed. He was not concerned with privacy, his concern was that the bastard be caught and he get his 3k in coins back.

I'm not going to repost the photo, because the issue was dead and the photos dont really add, nor detract, from the topic (which Jmlanzaf was right about), but as we said earlier, photos help paint a picture for readers. With that said, you're really reaching with the "ethics" argument of posting a picture, which again, I removed when two people who took umbrage for some reason asked that I remove it. Regardless, I have NOTHING to prove here. Those who know me and have dealt with me, know very well that my ethics are unimpeachable, and I'm one of the most honest dealers in this business, at least I feel that I am. If i had left the photo up, that would have no bearing on "ethics" whatsoever. I have no ill-will towards you and the fact that you took issue with the photo has no impact on me, its old news and everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, if you take note that your original comment has a single "lol", and my comments that followed have 10-15 "agrees", perhaps youll see that maybe, just maybe, that your take on this situation was, in fact, an overreaction.

I still feel you don't get the point of posting the photo. It's about dignity and respect for the victim. As far as privacy goes, if it was a witness (which you indicate it is not), bad guys go after witnesses, so they don't end up in prison. How is that overreacting? And heck yes, it's an ethical subject. Don't think for a minute that there aren't show dealers on here questioning why you would have posted such a photo of a fellow dealer/collector. Especially with all the incidents going on at and after shows. All I will say is the photo wasn't a good thing and did nothing but show someone at their worst moment.
    Also remember many of those "agrees" and "likes", are posters hiding behind hidden profiles. They do that for a reason.
    This subject is about one's ethical "character", not about the ethics of selling "quality" coins. Bottom line, you took the photo down, you did the right thing. I didn't overreact, I reacted.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I disagree. You overreacted. A picture of a person's back of the head does not reveal identity to those who don't know the victim.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • CregCreg Posts: 273 ✭✭✭

@JBK said:
    I've lost track of who is nit-picking and who is being nit-picked. 🤔

It’s a meta nitpick thread now.

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dictionaries and ammo 🧑🏻‍🦯…..
    Thars what coin shows need more of.

HE>I

@air4mdc said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@air4mdc said:

@PeakRarities said:

@air4mdc said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@seatedlib3991 said:

@jmlanzaf - The article I read actually went into more detail about the picking of nits, especially from heads and how deck floors were subject to infestation. I was just sparing all of us the TMI thing. I know there is more information on this subject, I just don't really care to delve into it. It could have been fake news for all I know, nothing is real anymore except my bank account balance. > @PeakRarities said:

@air4mdc said:

@PeakRarities said:

@air4mdc said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@seatedlib3991 said:

I still feel you don't get the point of posting the photo. It's about dignity and respect for the victim. As far as privacy goes, if it was a witness (which you indicate it is not), bad guys go after witnesses, so they don't end up in prison. How is that overreacting? And heck yes, it's an ethical subject. Don't think for a minute that there aren't show dealers on here questioning why you would have posted such a photo of a fellow dealer/collector. Especially with all the incidents going on at and after shows. All I will say is the photo wasn't a good thing and did nothing but show someone at their worst moment.
    Also remember many of those "agrees" and "likes", are posters hiding behind hidden profiles. They do that for a reason.
    This subject is about one's ethical "character", not about the ethics of selling "quality" coins. Bottom line, you took the photo down, you did the right thing. I didn't overreact, I reacted.

So Dan employs a basket of deplorables to beef up his "Like" profile?

Nah

• NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SIowhand said:

@lermish said:

@PeakRarities said:

@AUandAG said:

Typical for the weak Gen Z kids these days. What kind of stopping power is that? In my day we all carried .45s

😉😂

I go for the 40S&W. Almost the knockdown power of my .45 and a capacity of a 9mm.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• PizzamanPizzaman Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

@air4mdc said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@seatedlib3991 said:

Is that the etymology of the expression or a mere example of the application of the expression?

@Catbert said:
    I disagree. You overreacted. A picture of a person's back of the head does not reveal identity to those who don't know the

Then why hasn’t the picture been reposted? You should take this matter up with Dan, he is the one that pulled the picture.

@air4mdc said:

@Catbert said:
    I disagree. You overreacted. A picture of a person's back of the head does not reveal identity to those who don't know the

Then why hasn’t the picture been reposted? You should take this matter up with Dan, he is the one that pulled the picture.

Fortunately I saved the image.

• Russell12Russell12 Posts: 208 ✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a security company not to use ever again.

@PerryHall said:

@DocBenjamin said:

@air4mdc said:

@Catbert said:

I KNOW THAT GUY!!!!! :o

His background is sketchy.

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

Back by popular demand!

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

@SIowhand said:

@lermish said:

@PeakRarities said:

@AUandAG said:

😉😂

I was gonna say 10mm is a poor choice due to over penetration. But, I would never want to be accused of doing anything less. 😉

@NewEnglandNotes said:
    Why is the cotton pickin peanut gallery getting all uppity over nit picking?

Oh, boy. You’ve gone and done it now. 😂

edited September 8, 2024 11:12AM

@PeakRarities said:
    Back by popular demand!

That looks like Izzy Switt's elbow.

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@PeakRarities said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PeakRarities said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PeakRarities said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@PeakRarities said:

@air4mdc said:
    Terrible to hear this news. Please don’t post photos of victims or witnesses giving statements. This could could deter people from coming forward with witness accounts of a crime. Some people already don’t want to get involved and will literally walk right over a victim to get out away. It also jeopardizes their privacy and security. We need to also be considerate of the victims and their feelings as well. I would be willing to go out on a limb and say the bad guys are on this site. What better place to keep informed and find victims. Just my two cents, again.
    I think this thread should be pulled to protect the victims privacy.

He's right about the witness photo. You should delete that.

I calculated the odds. There is a 0.000000000001% chance that the thieves are on this site. There's also a 0% chance that they did any research on potential victims.

Would it make a difference if I told you that the victims wallet and ID was in the bag that was stolen?

A difference to what? That has nothing to do with the completely unnecessary witness/victim photo.

Oh for goodness sake, sure. Its a photo of the back of someone's head, white hair, from 100 yards away. What difference does it make when you can't identify the person? You guys are too much sometimes....

The person did not give permission for use of the photo. The photo is of zero benefit to the purpose of this thread. All we're asking for is a little respect for the privacy of that individual. If that seems "too much"...

In combination with @air4mdc's outlandish comment, yes it is too much. Are photos ever actually "necessary"? What about news reporters using photos of police presence? What about photos of dinners at a coin show? Sure theyre not "necessary", but they just go along with the thread.

My photos get posted without my permission all the time, and often its an unflattering photo where my gut is out and I look like a slob. You couldn't see the guys face, it was from all the way across the parking lot. All you could see was that it was a caucasian elderly man with white hair. Palm Beach county, FL so that really narrows it down....

It's not that bad.

How did you get that!? She told me she deleted that one!

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• MS66MS66 Posts: 233 ✭✭✭

@PeakRarities said:
    Back by popular demand!

In the distance: a COIN LAUNDRY!

Clearly a place that cleans coins!
    Call in the constabulary!

Oh. They're right there.

@PerryHall said:

@DocBenjamin said:

@air4mdc said:

@Catbert said:

I KNOW THAT GUY!!!!! :o

You are that guy.

• A reminder:

This is a community, as such, slightly off-topic threads are expected, however, topics such as politics or other "taboo" subjects are not permitted. Should the thread be deemed inflammatory, negative or violate any rules it will be deleted or closed at the moderator's discretion, without warning.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1009079/pcgs-forum-rules-and-guidelines-updated-4-19-2021

This discussion has been closed.