Home U.S. Coin Forum

Local PBCC Coin Show Robbery

Comments

• jkrkjkrk Posts: 980 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a couple of thoughts.

1)I briefly thought about getting a table to a local coin show. Then I considered the fact that I'm too old and brittle. I looked to my wife but I don't believe she can protect me?

2)If gold continues to rise from here and makes a few splashy headlines on local news channels, I can only imagine that the bad guys will come out in bigger numbers looking to strike gold?

Seriously, not trying to be a downer but I suspect that if gold prices continue to rise the costs of doing shows will rise as security will need to be ramped up.

• Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems like this is becoming a weekly event. I think it sucks. What kind of coward attacks an elderly man. I'll tell what kind, a junky who needs a fix. Way to many people like that around.
    My first thought is how does a scumbag like this even know their was a coins how. He had to do some research somehow.
    As far as the police, shame on them. I don't think they took their Jon to serious. It cost a lot of money to pay a law enforcement offer for a detail like this.
    Even with police presence this dude had the nuts to jump an elderly man.
    Scary stuff.
    When I go into shows I see dealers with an easy $100k of gold in their cases.
    This made me think of one person who has been dealing forever.
    He is now elderly and has alot of gold. What he also has is a big dude with a firearm I can see through his shirt with him. That's the way to travel. Even then there's risk but it goes down exponentially with a body guard.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA
    Dantheman984 Toyz4geo

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 28, 2024 5:56AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@winesteven said:

@Walkerguy21D said:

@IkesT said:

I think I can identify the species of palm tree in the parking lot from this photo... :#

Since there hasn’t been any large cents posted lately, I’ll go ahead and attribute this as a Royal Palm…..

@TrickleCharge said:

@Walkerguy21D said:

@IkesT said:

I think I can identify the species of palm tree in the parking lot from this photo... :#

Since there hasn’t been any large cents posted lately, I’ll go ahead and attribute this as a Royal Palm…..

Appears to have a nice original bark on it too. Slight bend near the top, but doesn't detract. Might be worth having someone come out to grade it.

OK, as the CAC fan, I’m jumping in. It’s NOT a Royal Palm, but a Foxtail (I have both on my property in South Florida). As for the grade, not good, as it’s been undernourished from too little fertilizer, lol.

Steve

I'm not sure what CAC has to do with it. The sticker you want is "Dole".

CAC separately evaluates the judgements made of others (TPG's). As such, I acted like CAC in disagreeing with the judgement that the palm tree in the photo was a Royal Palm. I then acted like CACG, when asked about the "grade", I said it was "not good", due to the undernourishment shown, caused by too little fertilization, lol. ;)

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@winesteven said:

@Walkerguy21D said:

@IkesT said:

@TrickleCharge said:

@Walkerguy21D said:

@IkesT said:

Appears to have a nice original bark on it too. Slight bend near the top, but doesn't detract. Might be worth having someone come out to grade it.

OK, as the CAC fan, I’m jumping in. It’s NOT a Royal Palm, but a Foxtail (I have both on my property in South Florida). As for the grade, not good, as it’s been undernourished from too little fertilizer, lol.

Steve

I'm not sure what CAC has to do with it. The sticker you want is "Dole".

Or Del Monte

• ADGADG Posts: 436 ✭✭✭

Any photo of a public location can be used without permission of anyone. No expectation of privacy. Public photography.

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ADG said:
    Any photo of a public location can be used without permission of anyone. No expectation of privacy. Public photography.

That doesn't mean you should.

"and the America polish club is going to get the security footage to the authorities as soon as they can."

If the alleged thieves are visible on the video, does forum ethos permit their images to be shown? They are of course innocent until proven guilty...but exposure may help solve the crime and get the coins back to the owner.

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DocBenjamin said:
    "and the America polish club is going to get the security footage to the authorities as soon as they can."

If the alleged thieves are visible on the video, does forum ethos permit their images to be shown? They are of course innocent until proven guilty...but exposure may help solve the crime and get the coins back to the owner.

Not sure, but I’ll happily post it on my website blog if I can get it.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:
    Since those monthly coin shows are held at the American Polish Club, does that mean the dealers polish their coins there before selling them? :D

Steve

Groan...

Smitten with DBLCs.

edited August 29, 2024 2:29AM

@Jacques_Loungecoque said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ADG said:

The same could be said for nit picking.
    And yet……

I wasn't even the first person to raise the issue in this thread. I sinply backed him up.

Many collectors value their privacy. If that is a nit in your mind, so be it. I think the actual nit you are picking is the fact that it is legal to post the picture. But, of course, there is no legal requirement that you actually be considerate of others. So, please carry on.

What do I owe you for the monthly rent of your cerebellum?

@air4mdc said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ADG said:

And yet……

The wording, "nit picking" can be perceived as a racist remark. Could you use more appropriate language. Thanks.

So is Labor Day. Glad that a 4 day vacation is ahead.

B)

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

@air4mdc said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ADG said:

And yet……

The wording, "nit picking" can be perceived as a racist remark. Could you use more appropriate language. Thanks.

No, he was just in a knit pique.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oy Vey!

• kazkaz Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very distressing to read about this. Things could have been so much worse, if the victim had hit his head... subdural bleed, fractured jaw... or a broken hip or shoulder.

• PizzamanPizzaman Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

@air4mdc said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ADG said:

And yet……

You can't be serious.

• seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭

Words can change but according to the book "Words and phrases by origin", nit picking refers to the tendency of buyers in early industrial England to denigrate the work of women working at home making knitted goods so they could pay less. James

@Pizzaman said:

@air4mdc said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ADG said:

And yet……

You can't be serious.

I don't think he knows what a nit is..

@jmlanzaf said:

@Pizzaman said:

@air4mdc said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ADG said:

And yet……

You can't be serious.

I don't think he knows what a nit is..

Oh, I think now you are being nit-picking :D

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • PizzamanPizzaman Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

@seatedlib3991 said:
    Words can change but according to the book "Words and phrases by origin", nit picking refers to the tendency of buyers in early industrial England to denigrate the work of women working at home making knitted goods so they could pay less. James

Well, while I certainly didn't know any of that about "nitpicking," how can one perceive "nitpicking" as racist? There's my question. I know what a "nitwit" is. Perhaps, I don't know, that's how.

• JCH22JCH22 Posts: 102 ✭✭✭

@Pizzaman said:

@seatedlib3991 said:

Well, while I certainly didn't know any of that about "nitpicking," how can one perceive "nitpicking" as racist? There's my question. I know what a "nitwit" is. Perhaps, I don't know, that's how.

Racial connation is a misnomer. Link contains probably more than anyone wants (or will ever need) to know about the phrase:
    https://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2017/07/nitpick.html

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JCH22: you’re right; still an interesting read (but only should be read once).

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

@Pizzaman said:

@air4mdc said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@ADG said:

And yet……

You can't be serious.

I thought he was joking….😬

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread has jumped the shark! :D

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.

Gold dropping a bit today. Takes some of the sting out of the loss.

@Pizzaman said:

@seatedlib3991 said:

I think he's confusing "nit picking" with "cotton picking" which has been suggested to be racial in origin due to the use of slaves.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@seatedlib3991 said:

That can't be accurate. "Nit" refers to the egg sac of a louse. Nit picking was literally the picking of nits from the hair of an infected person.

So if someone accuses you of nit picking here, they’re in essence, saying that another participant in this thread is infected and you’re picking nits from his or her hair? :o

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:

@Walkerguy21D said:

@IkesT said:

@TrickleCharge said:

@Walkerguy21D said:

@IkesT said:

Steve

I agree, too bleached looking. I don't like palm trees anyway.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@seatedlib3991 said:

That can't be accurate. "Nit" refers to the egg sac of a louse. Nit picking was literally the picking of nits from the hair of an infected person.

So if someone accuses you of nit picking here, they’re in essence, saying that another participant in this thread is infected and you’re picking nits from his or her hair? :o

For the handful that still have hair.

• seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭

lol. i didn't write the book. take your concerns to Simon & Schuster circa 1987. I read that on page 89 where they list it as knit(modern)/nit (archaic). I personally feel all grammar questions should be solved using MMA steel cage matches. If you are not willing to bleed then you really don't care. James

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 659 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good God! It appears as though we now have a battle of nit pickers. You can’t make this up.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@seatedlib3991 said:

Well, the literal origin, yes. The modern figurative usage means to pick at something small.

@seatedlib3991 said:
    lol. i didn't write the book. take your concerns to Simon & Schuster circa 1987. I read that on page 89 where they list it as knit(modern)/nit (archaic). I personally feel all grammar questions should be solved using MMA steel cage matches. If you are not willing to bleed then you really don't care. James

Every internet and dictionary source indicates the louse origin which also doesn't require a spelling change. They cite the first modern usage for its current meaning to an article in the Charleston Daily Mail in 1951.

Good God! It appears as though we now have a battle of nit pickers. You can’t make this up.

Seriously, all of the nit pickers are picking nits over the origin of the term nit picking. God bless America 😂.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 878 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@seatedlib3991 said:

When slaves were brought over to America the floors of the ships were covered with lice {nits} and after the slaves were unloaded the ship's crew would nit-pick or delouse the flooring.

@air4mdc said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@seatedlib3991 said:

When slaves were brought over to America the floors of the ships were covered with lice {nits} and after the slaves were unloaded the ship's crew would nit-pick or delouse the flooring.

So is the point being made that something that happened with slaves AND EVERYONE else is racist? If so, I guess I can’t say I used the toilet today, as I’d be accused of saying a racist comment.

Steve

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:

@air4mdc said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@seatedlib3991 said:

So is the point being made that something that happened with slaves AND EVERYONE else is racist? If so, I guess I can’t say I used the toilet today, as I’d be accused of saying a racist comment.

Steve

Or you need more fiber in your diet.

@air4mdc said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@seatedlib3991 said:

Please cite a source. I find none.

edited September 6, 2024 6:31PM

@PeakRarities said:

Seriously, all of the nit pickers are picking nits over the origin of the term nit picking. God bless America 😂.

Post a thread about a 67 and ask if it deserves a plus. That's a numismatic nit you can pick.

@air4mdc said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@seatedlib3991 said:

I reject your reality, and would like to substitute my own, in which the lice were actually part of the slaving crew (you know, since we’re now basing political correctness standards off of unsubstantiated claims and pretend history).

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

@jmlanzaf said:

@air4mdc said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@seatedlib3991 said:

Please cite a source. I find none.

Congrats JM. You are a third of the way to 100,000 posts.

*assuming that we don't all get banned on this thread.

o:)

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tasers are legal in 45 States. Only illegal in Washington DC, Hawaii, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, New York, and New Jersey. Might want to consider having on in hand when exiting, or entering a show. Just say'n.
    bob :)
    PS: pepper spray/mace is legal in all states.

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
This discussion has been closed.