Home Sports Talk

could Ohtani have a 50/50 season?

2»

Comments

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ohtani achieved 40/40 last night. it is amazing this was accomplished on august 23rd. I think 50/50 definitely happens.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    Ohtani achieved 40/40 last night. it is amazing this was accomplished on august 23rd. I think 50/50 definitely happens.

I wish him luck and hope he stays healthy!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • bgrbgr Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭

You have to mention that he did it with a walk off grand slam too.

My initial thought though was surprisingly for the fan that had that money ball flop out of his glove.

For those on injury watch his slide into 2nd in the 4th was uneventful.

This is such a great MVP race in both leagues this year. I wonder how the voters might lean if Ohtani reached 50/50 and Ozuna won the triple crown.

I am not worried about an ohtani sliding injury. He seems to be a feet first slider. Most sb injuries i have seen are jammed fingers and wrists from head first sliders.

That said, watch him blow up his knee on the next slide!!!

@bgr said:
    This is such a great MVP race in both leagues this year. I wonder how the voters might lean if Ohtani reached 50/50 and Ozuna won the triple crown.

That would be quite an interesting series of events. I am doubtful ozuna gets the triple crown, but you never know. I think i would be on ohtani's side though as we have never seen 50/50 before.

Not a bad year for a guy rehabbing a big surgery!

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I am not worried about an ohtani sliding injury. He seems to be a feet first slider. Most sb injuries i have seen are jammed fingers and wrists from head first sliders.

Plus theres oven mitts now to prevent that. By the sliding logic he should be kept on the bench because he could get hit by a pitch and break his wrist while batting and he should walk the bases because he could roll an ankle even jogging making the turns

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

Plus theres oven mitts now to prevent that. By the sliding logic he should be kept on the bench because he could get hit by a pitch and break his wrist while batting and he should walk the bases because he could roll an ankle even jogging making the turns

I am not concerned about a sb injury. At all. I have always enjoyed the stolen base an am glad it is making a comeback. I think the most danger a position player is in is the risk of taking an inside pitch off the hands and breaking those small bones.

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

I am not concerned about a sb injury. At all. I have always enjoyed the stolen base an am glad it is making a comeback. I think the most danger a position player is in is the risk of taking an inside pitch off the hands and breaking those small bones.

Agreed. Cant played scared or not to get hurt, thats when you get hurt. Its really a no win situation for Othani. If he runs some people say he shouldnt, if he just starts jogging the bases than some people will say he got a big contract and got lazy

Missouri 14 OSU 3

I personally would value 50/50 higher than 60+ hr because it has never been done before. We have had, what, 8 60 home run seasons so far?

@craig44 said:
    I personally would value 50/50 higher than 60+ hr because it has never been done before. We have had, what, 8 60 home run seasons so far?

Theres been 9 with more than 60 homeruns two of those with McGwire and Bonds were over 70. Stanton and Ruth both had seasons with 59 and Ruth probably gets 60 with the longer season now. Four seasons have seen 58, two have seen 57 and three 56.

Only 6 seasons have ever seen a 40/40 and I would be shocked if this wasnt the fastest to it other than maybe Acuna as I cant remember when he got to 40 hrs. No one has ever gone 50 50

Missouri 14 OSU 3

I heard on the news that Ohtani got to 40/40 faster than any other player

Looks like Soriano did it September 16th, Acuna September 22nd, Sept 19th for Arod. Last day of the season for Bonds, September 23rd for Canseco. Othani beat everyone by almost a month and in some cases even a month

No ones ever had a 45 45 season either

Missouri 14 OSU 3

another home run and 2 sb puts Ohtani at 42/42 on the season and on pace for 51/51.

• MistlinMistlin Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    40-40, 50-50........ so what?

People get hung up on these oddball numbers.

In 1987 Canseco goes 43-40 and wins the MVP over Boggs and Puckett, who were both more deserving.

In 1951 Dimaggio hits in 56 straight games (so what) and bats .408 during that streak. Ted Williams hits .406 for the entire year and destroys Joe's OPS by 200 points and Dimaggio wins MVP.

I'm actually surprised they are letting Ohtani steal bases. The guy has some injury problems, him getting injured while stealing bases would be kind of stupid, wouldn't it?

Like Mantle said during the Canseco excitement; "if I'd have known it was such a big deal, I would have gone 50-50".

Yes, it's unusual for a HR hitter to steal bases, I don't see it as that big a deal and it could be pretty stupid if he gets hurt.

Canseco won the MVP in 1988.

The Padres missed the playoffs. The Red Sox won 89 games. The A's won 104. WAR was 8.7 for Boggs 7.6 for Canseco. Puckett 7.1.

Sure, Boggs had a better season, but the award is Most VALUABLE Player, not player with best stats. Puckett clearly was not more deserving and the A's were a 100+ win team. Canseco's win was not the travesty you make it out to be.

Joe D hit in 56 games in 1941, not 1951. OPS? Who cares about one metric. WAR shows them separated by 1. Again, not the travesty you want to make it out to be.

Why you aren't celebrating this run at history and instead dredging up (incorrect) past awards is beyond me.

another sb and hr for ohtani last night putting him at 43/43 through August.

• oilers99oilers99 Posts: 215 ✭✭✭

Ohtani #44 tonight

3 more SB's for Ohtani today. up to 44/46 on the season. I think he will have the steals down by the end of the weekend. I think home runs by next weeks.

Hes just breaking his own records with every homerun and SB at this point. No ones ever even gone 42 42 until now

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Basebal21 said:
    Hes just breaking his own records with every homerun and SB at this point. No ones ever even gone 42 42 until now

I expect everyone knows that.

I appreciate seeing the updates here and the excitement. We’re witnessing some amazing baseball this year.

It really is exciting to see. I am rooting for him

I am too as long as the Dodgers still lose. As dumb as it sounds at this point with how quick hes racking up things 60 60 is actually possible

Missouri 14 OSU 3

Ohtani has been remarkably efficient stealing this season. he is currently at 92%! He has not been caught stealing since july 22nd and has stolen 23 bases in a row since then.

He is only 10 steals from matching Ichiro for the most SB in a single season for a player born in Japan. At the pace he is going, he should be able to match or best that mark.

Ohtani #45 tonight - first to 45/45 club.

Ohtani is now at 46/46 B)

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

Am enjoying his run. So are my 2017 Bowman Mega boxes.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

I saw he hit 46 yesterday. only 4 away!!

47th steal for Ohtani last night.

sitting at 46/47 for the season

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Barry Bonds only player in the 500/500 club

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

@coolstanley said:

good point. that is an amazing achievement. the ultimate power/speed stat!

@craig44 said:

@coolstanley said:

Is that 500 injections in each butt cheek?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@coolstanley said:

For sure an amazing accomplishment. He stands alone.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,250 ✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

@coolstanley said:

250 in each cheek

@Mickey71 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

@coolstanley said:

250 in each cheek

Thank you.

another big night for Ohtani. a home run and a stolen base.

he is now at 47/48 on the season. getting close

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like 50/50 is definitely happening

I think Ohtani has the MVP in the bag at this point. will be his 3rd.

• MistlinMistlin Posts: 272 ✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

Don't let JoeBonzai hear you!

@craig44 said:

Lindor is probably his biggest threat. Some of the voters might vote for him being a SS over a DH but I agree I think Othani has it locked up at this point

Missouri 14 OSU 3

Ohtani has 48/48 now

very very close with 11 games left

another steal for Ohtani

currently at 48/49