Home Sports Talk

could Ohtani have a 50/50 season?

craig44craig44 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

currently on pace for 49 home runs and 49 stolen bases. never been done before.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• bgrbgr Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭

This year will probably be his best shot.

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭✭

If he stays healthy 40 40 should happen. Hes 3 Hrs and 3 SBs shy of 40 40

Hes got a little under 40 games left and just needs 13 SB and 13 homeruns for a 50 50

He has 2 SB in the game currently going on thats in the 4th inning while typing this. Would have been 5 SBs for 40 and 15 for 50 50 if he didnt steal two bags already tonight

Missouri 14 OSU 3

38 homeruns now too. Couldnt even click post before he hit a homerun lol

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think he does it. He is a pretty streaky hitter and could hit some HR's in bunches.

what do you think is more impressive, Acuna's 40/70 season or a 50/50 season? I think the 50/50 is more impressive. both amazing though

Id have to go the 50/50 if it happened. Acuna did 41/73 and even a 50 50 right on the nose is a couple more total bases

I do think Acuna probably steals 100+ at some point if hes healthy and they just turn him lose. Stolen bases have been devalued a bit historically with the rule changes but someones going to crack that 100 mark if theyre allowed to run at will

Missouri 14 OSU 3

I think that traditionally, the guys who could hit 50 home runs have not been the "type" to steal that many bases. Mantle and Mays had speed, but the stolen base was not valued highly when they played. by the time bonds was hitting over 50, he was not stealing either.

it would be another unicorn feat by Ohtani if he can accomplish it.

Would be even more impressive if he did it this year considering hes still rehabbing his second TJ surgery. Given that he throws right and bats left his bad arm is the dominate one in his swing

He just hit another homerun in the 5th inning. Hes up to 39 now

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

50/50 would be insane

I didn't realize he had that many stolen bases to be in the conversation for this

@perkdog said:
    50/50 would be insane

I didn't realize he had that many stolen bases to be in the conversation for this

I watched him swipe with ease against the Brewers this year. He doesn’t seem that fast but he gets to top speed in like 2 steps. Then in 4 more steps he’s on 2nd. It’s quite impressive.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think more impressive than acuna going 40/70 is that he scored 149 runs in 159 games.

Of course all those steals certainly helped tremendously in scoring all those runs.

@perkdog said:
    50/50 would be insane

I didnt realize it either until recently. I am really surprised this hasnt gotten much more play by the national media. Good grief, He should be 40/40 by the end of August. It really is amazing.

currently sits at 39/37!

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

40-40, 50-50........ so what?

People get hung up on these oddball numbers.

In 1987 Canseco goes 43-40 and wins the MVP over Boggs and Puckett, who were both more deserving.

In 1951 Dimaggio hits in 56 straight games (so what) and bats .408 during that streak. Ted Williams hits .406 for the entire year and destroys Joe's OPS by 200 points and Dimaggio wins MVP.

I'm actually surprised they are letting Ohtani steal bases. The guy has some injury problems, him getting injured while stealing bases would be kind of stupid, wouldn't it?

Like Mantle said during the Canseco excitement; "if I'd have known it was such a big deal, I would have gone 50-50".

Yes, it's unusual for a HR hitter to steal bases, I don't see it as that big a deal and it could be pretty stupid if he gets hurt.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

Because milestones are cool.

@JoeBanzai said:

In 1987 Canseco goes 43-40 and wins the MVP over Boggs and Puckett, who were both more deserving.

In 1951 Dimaggio hits in 56 straight games (so what) and bats .408 during that streak. Ted Williams hits .406 for the entire year and destroys Joe's OPS by 200 points and Dimaggio wins MVP.

I'm actually surprised they are letting Ohtani steal bases. The guy has some injury problems, him getting injured while stealing bases would be kind of stupid, wouldn't it?

Like Mantle said during the Canseco excitement; "if I'd have known it was such a big deal, I would have gone 50-50".

Yes, it's unusual for a HR hitter to steal bases, I don't see it as that big a deal and it could be pretty stupid if he gets hurt.

because all milestone numbers are oddball. why is 500 home runs a big deal? why not 487 or 524? why 3000 hits? 300 wins? because they are big numbers, not often achieved. and usually nice round numbers. they are arbitrary, but are chosen as they are so rarely accomplished.

I have heard that Mantle quote before. it is a cool quote, and perhaps he could have, but he didnt. I have often thought that the best players from the 80s and 90s could have had better advanced statistics if walks would have been considered more important then. I think Puckett, Brett, ripken, molitor, murray etc. could have taken more walks than they did. it just was not valued as much. back then though, it was seen as more important to not strike out and get the bat on the ball than stand there and take a BB.

@bgr said:

That's fine, but why risk injury to achieve it?

His team is in 1st place, if I were managing him, I wouldn't get him hurt in meaningless games, but might let him run more in the playoffs.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@craig44 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

because all milestone numbers are oddball. why is 500 home runs a big deal? why not 487 or 524? why 3000 hits? 300 wins? because they are big numbers, not often achieved. and usually nice round numbers. they are arbitrary, but are chosen as they are so rarely accomplished.

I have heard that Mantle quote before. it is a cool quote, and perhaps he could have, but he didnt. I have often thought that the best players from the 80s and 90s could have had better advanced statistics if walks would have been considered more important then. I think Puckett, Brett, ripken, molitor, murray etc. could have taken more walks than they did. it just was not valued as much. back then though, it was seen as more important to not strike out and get the bat on the ball than stand there and take a BB.

Yes it's a cute thing if he goes 40-40 even cuter if he makes it to 50-50.

Big deal.

If Ohtani can continue at this pace (or close) for his entire career, THEN it will prove something.

Canseco never stole over 30 (other than the one time) and only over 20 twice, so whoopee, he did it once. Good for him.

@JoeBanzai said:

@bgr said:

His team is in 1st place, if I were managing him, I wouldn't get him hurt in meaningless games, but might let him run more in the playoffs.

I didn’t know they were injuring him.

@bgr said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@bgr said:

He's had 2 major surgeries because they want him to pitch and play everyday.

He's had one ankle surgery already.

There are so few guys that can hit the ball as well as him, why put all the added stress on his body when it's already breaking down?

Fine, have him go for 50-50. I just hope he doesn't get hurt doing it and cost his team wins going after an individual meaningless record.

It IS cool though.

Othanis injuries have really all been pitching related and specifically the two UCL surgeries. Basically no one has ever come back as an ace after the second TJ surgery so we will have to see what he looks like on the mound. Theres probably going to need to be some conversations about if he should remain a starter or not.

Even if they wanted to (which they might) the Dodgers cant stop him from running. If he wants to steal bags hes going to steal bags. Hes hitting leadoff and Mookie is hitting 2nd because as Mookie said himself whatever Othani wants he gets

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@JoeBanzai said:

@bgr said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@bgr said:

He's had 2 major surgeries because they want him to pitch and play everyday.

He's had one ankle surgery already.

There are so few guys that can hit the ball as well as him, why put all the added stress on his body when it's already breaking down?

Fine, have him go for 50-50. I just hope he doesn't get hurt doing it and cost his team wins going after an individual meaningless record.

It IS cool though.

I don’t know if we’re disagreeing. But if we were, I would say that I like when a player or a club reaches a milestone doing what they’re supposed to do - win. Or. At least try to win. When teams or players game the game for a record it’s not as interesting. So if he’s at 49/49 and he needs a steal to get into scoring position for Betts or needs to aim for the stars to tie the game.. cool. I wouldn’t have him running wild just to get a record. Or stealing bags when they’re up 5 runs in the 8th.

50-50 would be a great auto inscription.

I would sure hope it would take more than one or two 80 foot sprints to injure a player.

just saying

@craig44 said:
    I would sure hope it would take more than one or two 80 foot sprints to injure a player.

just saying

What?

Just sayin'

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

just saying

What?

Just sayin'

you had mentioned all of the added stress those extra 80 foot sprints were having on Ohtanis fragile body.

I commented that I would hope a professional athlete could withstand one or two 80 foot sprints per game.

i felt my comment was pretty straight forward.

@craig44 said:

just saying

Aside from the freak accidents (hammy, knee, achilles etc) the real danger is the sliding. The biggest issues was head first ones breaking a wrist or finger which is why the oven mitts were invented. I dont get why everyone doesnt wear them since they also shorten the base paths by another inch or two which is often the difference between safe and out.

But yea its not really a big deal. He has to run anyways if hes on the bases and someone gets a hit. Theres really not anything you can really do to prevent freak accidents other than not play them

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@JoeBanzai said:

@bgr said:

I can see this argument, it makes sense for sure

I do hope he gets 50/50 though just to see that because it's never been done ever, its a phenomenal. accomplishment

@craig44 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

just saying

What?

Just sayin'

you had mentioned all of the added stress those extra 80 foot sprints were having on Ohtanis fragile body.

I commented that I would hope a professional athlete could withstand one or two 80 foot sprints per game.

Per game was not inferred.

If he's going for 50 steals that's (70?) Sprints down to 2nd. Too many?

All it takes is one bad slide and he's got a broken ankle.

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

just saying

What?

Just sayin'

Should he just go station to station if someone hits a double behind him? Hes currently 37-41 stealing bases this year

Missouri 14 OSU 3

He should wear a windbreaker. Like Fernando.

The guy is tremendously talented.

He started out as a pitcher and position player. Excellent at both!

Blown out his arm twice. Now he's a DH. I can't believe it, but he'll probably resume pitching at some point.

Right now he's one of the best sluggers in baseball. Why risk injury when the down side is so high?

@Basebal21 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

just saying

What?

Just sayin'

Should he just go station to station if someone hits a double behind him? Hes currently 37-41 stealing bases this year

Of course not. Don't be stupid.

• DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

Baseball is a game of statistics. That is why pulling a pitcher on a no hitter is insane.

@DocBenjamin said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Baseball is a game of statistics. That is why pulling a pitcher on a no hitter is insane.

That is a pretty weird conclusion to draw. One might inquire how any why those would be related at all. Are they?

@JoeBanzai said:

@Basebal21 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

just saying

What?

Just sayin'

Point was if he can run the bases he can steal them too. His rate shows hes making good decisions about it as well

They couldnt stop him if they wanted to anyways. Hes making 2 million a year for the next decade, was a major reason Yamamoto signed with them, and is the most valuable player by far revenue wise. Whether the front office or Roberts tried to play hardball with him they would be fired

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@bgr said:

@DocBenjamin said:

@JoeBanzai said:

That is a pretty weird conclusion to draw. One might inquire how any why those would be related at all. Are they?

Baseball is a dull game. That was good when the action was in the hot Summer sun. So yeah, the streaks and perfect games and hitting for the cycle brought some extra action during an impossibly long 6 month season.

Smartphone has replaced the program and the "fans" can order dreck on Amazon while waiting for the next hit. So to that extent, yeah, let the AI call the plays and hope for large market teams playing in late October.

@Basebal21 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@Basebal21 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

just saying

What?

Just sayin'

Point was if he can run the bases he can steal them too. His rate shows hes making good decisions about it as well

There's no point here for you. Stealing is an optional decision. Running the bases is not.

Why do you think Mantle didn't steal bases?
    Management didn't want to risk a premier hitter getting hurt going after meaningless numbers.

This year, he has been a great base stealer. I hope he gets 50-50, I think it's stupid, stupid, stupid.

You just (obviously) LOVE to argue. I'm not interested in debating this with you.

edited August 19, 2024 9:27PM

@JoeBanzai said:

@Basebal21 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@Basebal21 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

just saying

What?

Just sayin'

There's no point here for you. Stealing is an optional decision. Running the bases is not.

Management didn't want to risk a premier hitter getting hurt going after meaningless numbers.

This year, he has been a great base stealer. I hope he gets 50-50, I think it's stupid, stupid, stupid.

You just (obviously) LOVE to argue. I'm not interested in debating this with you.

Running hard to first is a decision. Tagging from third is a decision, first to third is a decision, scoring from 2nd is a derision just to name a few

Mantle got an infection in his hip from steroid use. There was a lot more going on with his health

Doesnt change the fact that the Dodgers have no power to top him if he wants to steal bases

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@JoeBanzai said:

@Basebal21 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@Basebal21 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

just saying

What?

Just sayin'

Well, players didn’t steal a lot of bases in the 50s. Remember mantle also tore his ACL in 51 tripping on a sprinkler head (or whatever it was) in the outfield. I don’t think “not stealing bases” then was about protecting players. Could be wrong but would be much safer to not have obstacles for your left fielder to trip over when DiMaggio takes a play off.

All this brings us to Disco Demolition night in Chicago.

edited August 19, 2024 10:54PM

No reason to even bring up players from 60 years ago. It really is as simple as if Othani wants to steal a base he will try if not he wont. He deferred 680 million in his contract for 10 years. No one can tell him what to do

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Basebal21 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@Basebal21 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@Basebal21 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@craig44 said:

just saying

What?

Just sayin'

Running hard to first is a decision. Tagging from third is a decision, first to third is a decision, scoring from 2nd is a derision just to name a few

Mantle got an infection in his hip from steroid use. There was a lot more going on with his health

Doesnt change the fact that the Dodgers have no power to top him if he wants to steal bases

I agree with everything in this post.

there are risks in everything an athlete does. Ohtani doesnt even play the field, so there are 50 % of his risks mitigated right there. If some people think an 80 foot sprint and slide is just too risky, then they should be all for players NEVER trying to take an extra base and simply playing station to station baseball. only proceed past first base on a home run or ground rule double.

• pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 616 ✭✭✭✭

I think Ohtani should not run as much as he does.
    If he feels like maybe the game is on the line and he needs to steal the base to make difference in the game then that might be the right call. If you have the very best player in the game you really don't want to chance losing him for the season . Many players get hurt running to 1st base. Base stealing is a risk. I can remember watching baseball years ago and can remember many players getting taken out on purpose stealing bases. If he was in a playoff series and he is stealing bases a team might decide to take him out .
    This is a great topic and I can easily see why you would want him to steal bases. I just feel the risk is not worth the possibility of a player like Ohtani having a career ending injury. Every time he runs he is increasing the odds of getting hurt.

• 1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

He is close enough where of course he could at this point. However, his base stealing success rate has been quite a bit above his head this year compared to his career rate and that isn't easy to maintain even for the next six weeks.

He is also a hair off pace with 36 games to go he is on pace for 48 SB(based on his per game steals) and that is if he plays in every remaining game.

Even though I'm not a fan of 'clubs' since ultimately it is the amount of runs you create and save that matter, it is still always neat seeing things like that occur.

It might take him doing what others are saying they are worried he does, which is taking meaningless chances just to get to the 50 mark. Those are chances that could be ill advised for his team and yes his health too(in a meaningless game). They are only up 3 games so padding the stats in meaningless game won't really be a factor until they clinch at the very end of the year.

another stolen base for Ohtani last night. up to 38 on the season. I would imagine he hits 40/40 very soon.

@craig44 said:
    another stolen base for Ohtani last night. up to 38 on the season. I would imagine he hits 40/40 very soon.

That's going to be easy, with more than a month to go 50/50 seems possible

• pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 616 ✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

I think some may get very worried if he gets to about 45,46 or maybe 47 and there is about a week or less left in the season and then he might start taking big chances where it might become more of a big risk.

@pdoidoi said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

I think some may get very worried if he gets to about 45,46 or maybe 47 and there is about a week or less left in the season and then he might start taking big chances where it might become more of a big risk.

That's when the Manager needs to step in and save him from himself

@perkdog said:

@pdoidoi said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

That's when the Manager needs to step in and save him from himself

Just like Lebron can get coaches fired Othani could if he wanted to as well. I dont think he would do that but Roberts doesnt have the power to discipline and stop him

Missouri 14 OSU 3

39th stolen base for Ohtani tonight. sitting at 39/39