Home U.S. Coin Forum

New Copy Stands. Added Axial Pics!

in2Coinsin2Coins Posts: 320 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 24, 2024 5:05PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Here are my 2 new DIY Copy Stands. One for my computer desk and one for garage. I made extras and put it on eBay and was sold out. It weighs less than 7 and 6 pounds.

I like it 'cause it’s versatile. What do you guys think?

Comments

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like you have included bubble levels?

• Nice.

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks perfect

Mr_Spud

• in2Coinsin2Coins Posts: 320 ✭✭✭✭

@Raybo said:
    Looks like you have included bubble levels?

Yep. The Arca Clamp has a built-in level

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice, sleek and modern.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • abbyme24abbyme24 Posts: 122 ✭✭✭

DM me if you make more!! Would love to purchase one

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have you considered publishing or selling the design files? Ordering the parts from one of the contract manufacturing houses would allow us to scale up/down &c.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")

@abbyme24 said:

Sure will

@BStrauss3 said:
    Have you considered publishing or selling the design files? Ordering the parts from one of the contract manufacturing houses would allow us to scale up/down &c.

Something to think about 👍🏼

One of the feedback from eBay buyer. I’m going to post on buy and sell forum and if there are enough demand, I will definitely make more.

• shortnockshortnock Posts: 396 ✭✭✭

Nice work!

• DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are impressive! :)
    Legitimately high-end, rugged, professional copy stands have become a nightmare to find.

When in doubt, don't.
  • @abbyme24 said:

Me too!

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks nice! I'd make the base black so that you're not reflecting a lot of extra light back into the lens with shiny aluminum. I'd also make a taller option (80 cm - 1 m) for people with longer lenses, larger items like slabs or medals, and/or crop sensors.

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

So how about a slab picture?
    The stand looks impressive but the proof is in the picture which will probally be also impressive!
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

@Old_Collector said:

@abbyme24 said:

Me too!

Copy that!

edited August 18, 2024 3:40PM

@messydesk said:
    Looks nice! I'd make the base black so that you're not reflecting a lot of extra light back into the lens with shiny aluminum. I'd also make a taller option (80 cm - 1 m) for people with longer lenses, larger items like slabs or medals, and/or crop sensors.

I actually contacted a plater to have the plate black anodized but the costs is too much unless you send 100’s of them. Hence the thin adhesive pad that you can stick onto the plate. I only have cropped sensor camera and with 100mm macro lens and 600mm tall stand, you can take a photo of slabbed coin on landscape position as shown below (after rotation). These are just quick photos taken with ambient lighting for illustration purposes.

I don’t have a 180mm macro lens so I can’t test a slabbed coin on 600mm tall stand. I doubt it can, even in landscape position. Or, you can use a zoom lens if you have one. But I’m sure you can take a photo of an entire Morgan $.

The stand can be modified to a shorter or taller height with minimal effort.

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

@in2Coins said:

@messydesk said:

I actually contacted a plater to have the plate black anodized but the costs is too much unless you send 100’s of them. Hence the thin adhesive pad that you can stick onto the plate.

I figured cost would be the reason.

I only have cropped sensor camera and with 100mm macro lens and 600mm tall stand, you can take a photo of slabbed coin on landscape position as shown below (after rotation). These are just quick photos taken with ambient lighting for illustration purposes.

I don’t have a 180mm macro lens so I can’t test a slabbed coin on 600mm tall stand. I doubt it can, even in landscape position. Or, you can use a zoom lens if you have one. But I’m sure you can take a photo of an entire Morgan $.

For slabs, I set my camera to crop sensor size and use a 105 mm. The height on the copy stand is 62 cm when I do that, but I'm not sure we'd be measuring the same distances. Silver dollars with my 200 mm are a bit higher (70 cm, I think), but there's a tripod collar on the lens that also moves the camera farther away. A 180 mm on a crop sensor would pose a challenge, but I don't think that's a common setup. A 150 mm is closer to my 200 mm on a full frame.

As previously stated, there is now a post in Buy and Sell forum. Please PM if any of you are interested.

edited August 19, 2024 3:13PM

Link no longer works. Don’t know why. Please see buy and sell forum if interested

• lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

@in2Coins For the coating, I don't know what is to much $$ but for car parts I have done powder coating. I believe it is typically cheaper than anodize but not sure. The powder coat will be thicker than the anodize and not sure if that is a plus or minus for you.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

@lilolme said:
    @in2Coins For the coating, I don't know what is to much $$ but for car parts I have done powder coating. I believe it is typically cheaper than anodize but not sure. The powder coat will be thicker than the anodize and not sure if that is a plus or minus for you.

Thanks! I will definitely look into this. Since powder coating does not need for the alum substrate to be etched prior to coating, it makes sense that it will be cheaper. Although they will need to mask/plug the threaded holes due to its thick build-up. Pricing will again be based on quantity of plates to be coated.

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,553 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the pictures @in2Coins.
    I knew that they would look great.
    How about a flat black spray paint for the base?
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

Great idea! This could definitely be done at potential buyer’s end.

• BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 357 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is top notch! I bought a copy stand last year but if I hadn't, this would have moved to the top of my consideration list. One thing I really value in my stand: the base plate is 18% gray so I can take an extra shot of it and then set my white balance. That's something you might consider.

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

• redraiderredraider Posts: 171 ✭✭✭✭

I will buy one if you have one. Please message me when you have another available!!

Cube lights came in for Axial Photography test.

See below for setup. The black cylindrical piece is a Lens Hood. Quick shots shown below. Auto white balance and no editing done.

• RayboRaybo Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WAYNEAS said:
    Thanks for the pictures @in2Coins.
    I knew that they would look great.
    How about a flat black spray paint for the base?
    Wayne

How about neutral gray for the base?

• @Bikergeek said:
    This is top notch! I bought a copy stand last year but if I hadn't, this would have moved to the top of my consideration list. One thing I really value in my stand: the base plate is 18% gray so I can take an extra shot of it and then set my white balance. That's something you might consider.

Did you adhere an 18% gray card to the existing base, or is there another way to accomplish it?

@Old_Collector said:

@Bikergeek said:

Did you adhere an 18% gray card to the existing base, or is there another way to accomplish it?

The one I bought has what they call a "neutral gray" stand - so when I said "18% gray" I may have been making too specific of an assumption. But I do know that coin image white balance looks good to my eye. I'll experiment with a "true" 18% gray card vs. the gray of my copy stand and report back.

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

• @Bikergeek said:

@Old_Collector said:

@Bikergeek said:

The one I bought has what they call a "neutral gray" stand - so when I said "18% gray" I may have been making too specific of an assumption. But I do know that coin image white balance looks good to my eye. I'll experiment with a "true" 18% gray card vs. the gray of my copy stand and report back.

Does it seem reasonable to you that I am thinking about adhering a portion of a standard 18% card to a bright aluminum surface? I have a bunch of 8x10 cards. Or would you recommend attempting to find paint or some other option? I'm new at this and just putting my rig together. Thanks, I appreciate your help.

Oops, sorry for the delayed response, @Old_Collector. I haven't found my gray card and haven't had time to do my comparison test. But to answer your question - it sounds eminently reasonable to put a gray card down as your base. I wouldn't mess with paint - sounds complicated and messy to get it just right.

I bought a photo lightbox several years ago and it came with different colors of cloth that I could use as base, background, etc. Only thing I didn't like about that was the need to iron out the wrinkles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file