Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is anyone else comparing their coins to CAC certified coins viewed online

starsandstripesstarsandstripes Posts: 74 ✭✭✭
edited July 20, 2024 5:03PM in U.S. Coin Forum

For me it's especially comparing my buffalo nickel collection to what I am seeing on coin dealer websites of CAC stickered
and CACG slabbed coins.

Stars&Stripes

Comments

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • MWallaceMWallace Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

No for me too. I have to like the coin, not CAC.

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• starsandstripesstarsandstripes Posts: 74 ✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2024 6:09PM

I agree with you guys, I'm just wondering what all the hoopla is about with stickered coins asking exorbitant prices.
    I also buy the coin not the sticker or the slab. I bought a lot of my buffalo nickels from the late great Norm Talbert.

Stars&Stripes

You might read a few threads here to satiate your thirst for the rationale behind the market pricing for CAC coins. The search bar can be your friend.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure I understand as to how it would benefit anyone. Certainly, in no way, would I be interested. You could start a book on comparing ICG, ANACS, NGC, PCGS, CACG and many others and still would not benefit anyone. JMO
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

Norm Talbert, there’s a blast from the past.
    I remember dealing with him when I still lived in Ohio, over 20 years ago.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2024 9:38PM

@starsandstripes said:
    I agree with you guys, I'm just wondering what all the hoopla is about with stickered coins asking exorbitant prices.
    I also buy the coin not the sticker or the slab. I bought a lot of my buffalo nickels from the late great Norm Talbert.

I've submitted to CAC on behalf of friends with old time Buffalo Nickel collections. These coins were in PCGS holders. Thirty six coins were submitted and 16 received green stickers. These coins were not prescreened. The biggest issues are they were either cleaned or had PVC. Both are difficult to evaluate based on pictures.

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 20, 2024 10:34PM

Yes. I do it all the time to try to understand and learn from CAC grading. It helps to have hi-res photos, though.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • LuxorLuxor Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Occasionally I like to compare my crescent toned dollars to ones that have been both professionally graded and then
    professionally re-examined and stickered to ensure they are of at least 'B' quality or better and not a problem coin. Here are a couple of stickered ones I compared one of mine to that were graded MS65+ and MS67+. What do you think, should I be taking this sticker thing seriously?

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• breakdownbreakdown Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I am considering purchasing a coin, I try to look at images of coins that give me the best sense of what a fair price will be. This includes looking at coins that are stickered.
    A slightly different reason to look at images of stickered coins than you pose but yes, I look at images of stickered coins. I then also try to lot view or ask a trusted pair of eyes to do so.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• EbeneezerEbeneezer Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

Absolutely not. I trust the grade of a coin for which I find appealing. So why bother with someone else's opinion. And that is all CAC is, an opinion. A very expensive one at that. I laugh when I see a coin which has less than ten known with a stupid sticker.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ebeneezer said:
    Absolutely not. I trust the grade of a coin for which I find appealing. So why bother with someone else's opinion. And that is all CAC is, an opinion. A very expensive one at that. I laugh when I see a coin which has less than ten known with a stupid sticker.

All grades, including those provided by NGC and PCGS, are opinions, and often, expensive ones, at that. So do you buy only ungraded coins that you find appealing, thereby saving a boatload of money?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

@jmlanzaf said:
    The responses here come under the category of biting your nose to spite your face

I suppose you people don't compare your coins to PCGS photograde either or study slabbed coins in auction catalogs. Why would anyone categorically refuse to look at images of coins to assess the market grade and market price of their coins?

I took his question to be generic (see thread title) and thus I have better things to do with my time. What should be obvious to an experienced collector/dealer ilike you s that "us people" do due research as necessary. However, my filter isn't about CAC, but about what I can learn about a coin and whether it is compelling to me.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    The responses here come under the category of biting your nose to spite your face

I suppose you people don't compare your coins to PCGS photograde either or study slabbed coins in auction catalogs. Why would anyone categorically refuse to look at images of coins to assess the market grade and market price of their coins?

I took his question to be generic (see thread title) and thus I have better things to do with my time. What should be obvious to an experienced collector/dealer ilike you s that "us people" do due research as necessary. However, my filter isn't about CAC, but about what I can learn about a coin and whether it is compelling to me.

I agree... which is why I find it hard to believe that any collector of slabbed material isn't also looking at CAC material.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

No 👎

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

There will always be outliers but at a major auction if lot viewing the coins with CAC stickers are going to look better than the non stickered coins in the same series in general.

• DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

@starsandstripes said:
    Here let me provide an example of why I look at CAC or CACG and other slabbed coins for that matter to get an understanding of how my coins compare to them when it comes to eye appeal, strike quality, etc. From this example I consider mine to be on the high end of the grade and the CAC stickered coin to be mediocre. BTW I bought this coin in 2003
    for $329.

Well, you won't know until you send it in. It could very well sticker or it could be cleaned or have PVC.

• starsandstripesstarsandstripes Posts: 74 ✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2024 5:01PM

No plans to send any coins to have yet another opinion. I'm happy with my opinion and that of PCGS and NGC graders.
    I am basically seeing what is out in the market and what they look like for comparison. I mostly look at AU55 and AU58
    Buffaloes. I know they are not re-grading the coin but It looks like they are disregarding soft strikes vs fully struck and
    validating based on is it indeed the grade stated on the slab which was based on wear and other factors. Depending on the condition of the dies, die pressure and other factors for a given year you could have mushy to fully struck all given the same grade. One of the main things I consider is strike and wear when determining where in the "solid for the grade" an AU58 coin slots. So far I am not impressed with CAC picking the creme de la creme of buffalo nickels.

Stars&Stripes
  • @ms71 said:
    Oh good! Another "collect the coin, not the plastic thread"!

This thread is not about that!

Stars&Stripes
  • FredSFredS Posts: 70 ✭✭✭

It feels like many of these folks sent their clunkers into CAC, and are mad that they were rejected. Now they are buried in those coins because they "bought the coin", (Their own opinion), rather than "the holder, with CAC", (John's opinion).

I'll take John and the 50% to 100% bump in value, ALL DAY LONG!

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@starsandstripes said:

@ms71 said:
    Oh good! Another "collect the coin, not the plastic thread"!

This thread is not about that!

Some people see CAC and just have a visceral response, regardless of the intent of the thread.

If this thread has any legs it will become that, like so many others. It happens at least every few weeks.

• pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it depends on the quality of the pictures. If you have a good selection of good photographs of coins graded by CAC it can give you some sense of how they establish a grade. If I can examine 20 photos of a 65 Franklin CAC has green sticker it should help giving me some idea of what they are looking for in strike, luster, distracting marks, etc. to characterize a Franklin as being a 65. Exact science? No, but what in grading is exact science.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FredS said:

Wow, really? No, actually. This is a woefully unqualified and misleading statement.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2024 4:16AM

No (I would go nuts) they are a different inventory class (CDN valuation). I have a few CACG - people will look at them at shows (curiosity). Will they pay the money for them - jury still out. Have sold a couple. One recent bourse customer said he likes the grading for them but was not a buyer. As far as paying double or more for CAC / CACG no thank you. Beyond 25 pct premium forget it lol. I just look at the ones I have and evaluate the grade (is this piece really high end, etc.).

Coins & Currency
  • @starsandstripes said:
    No plans to send any coins to have yet another opinion. I'm happy with my opinion and that of PCGS and NGC graders.
    I am basically seeing what is out in the market and what they look like for comparison. I mostly look at AU55 and AU58
    Buffaloes. I know they are not re-grading the coin but It looks like they are disregarding soft strikes vs fully struck and
    validating based on is it indeed the grade stated on the slab which was based on wear and other factors. Depending on the condition of the dies, die pressure and other factors for a given year you could have mushy to fully struck all given the same grade. One of the main things I consider is strike and wear when determining where in the "solid for the grade" an AU58 coin slots. So far, I am not impressed with CAC picking the creme de la creme of buffalo nickels to sticker.

Stars&Stripes

@Jacques_Loungecoque said:

@FredS said:

Wow, really? No, actually. This is a woefully unqualified and misleading statement.

Well, I went to eBay, randomly selected a date and grade. Scrolled down to the very first CAC-stickered coin, and this is what I found. Look at the coin directly above it! Then I scrolled down to the first CACG coin and the next coin is what I found. I see this all day and night. Case closed, buy the holder, not the coin!!!!

edited July 21, 2024 6:39PM

y

@FredS said:

@FredS said:

Well, I went to eBay, randomly selected a date and grade. Scrolled down to the very first CAC-stickered coin, and this is what I found. Look at the coin directly above it! Then I scrolled down to the first CACG coin and the next coin is what I found. I see this all day and night. Case closed, buy the holder, not the coin!!!!

>

You provided results for a grand total of three coins, and I’m sure you could find a lot more if you look long enough. That still wouldn’t validate your overly broad and exaggerated “50% to 100% bump in value” claim.
    I’m not basing my disagreement on a small sample size, as I look up hundreds, if not thousands of results as part of my work every week.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• TrickleChargeTrickleCharge Posts: 174 ✭✭✭

@FredS said:

@FredS said:

Comparing auction results to buy it now listings may not be the most accurate either.

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

@TrickleCharge said:

@FredS said:

@FredS said:

Comparing auction results to buy it now listings may not be the most accurate either.

Especially for widgets...

Not to mention that he cherry picked the data. There are numerous $400 sales for the non-CAC.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2024 8:35AM

Hellz no! I buy both stickered and unstickered coins, but not CACG coins. I’m keeping it NGC and PCGS only! It simplifies my collecting a little bit more and I don’t believe they are worth the huge premium. I do respect his opinion, though.

@FredS said:
    It feels like many of these folks sent their clunkers into CAC, and are mad that they were rejected. Now they are buried in those coins because they "bought the coin", (Their own opinion), rather than "the holder, with CAC", (John's opinion).

So John is better than all of us combined? Ha! That is a ridiculous suggestion!

Sometimes, it’s better to be LUCKY than good. 🍀 🍺👍

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hfjacinto said:
    I buy coins not stickers. If I want stickers I’ll buy bananas.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

@Walkerfan said:

Hellz no! I buy both stickered and unstickered coins, but not CACG coins. I’m keeping it NGC and PCGS only! It simplifies my collecting a little bit more and I don’t believe they are worth the huge premium. I do respect his opinion, though.

@FredS said:

We don't "all" collectively grade all coins. We each make our own INDIVIDUAL assessment of the coin. If John has "the best eye in the business", as some say, his opinion could well be more valuable ("better") than all of us. It is not at all a ridiculous suggestion.

• hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 855 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tommy44 said:

@hfjacinto said:
    I buy coins not stickers. If I want stickers I’ll buy bananas.

Best collection so far!

edited July 22, 2024 11:20AM

@jmlanzaf said:

@Walkerfan said:

@FredS said:

We don't "all" collectively grade all coins. We each make our own INDIVIDUAL assessment of the coin. If John has "the best eye in the business", as some say, his opinion could well be more valuable ("better") than all of us. It is not at all a ridiculous suggestion.

You know what I mean….Many of us do grade well. And I think that collectively, we could make good grading decisions. Not just the ones who “CAN’T”.

@Walkerfan said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Walkerfan said:

@FredS said:

You know what I mean….Many of us do grade well. And I think that collectively, we could make good grading decisions. Not just the ones who “CAN’T”.

Except we don't ever do it collectively.

• ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. You can't compare a coin in hand to an image.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."

@jmlanzaf said:

@TrickleCharge said:

@FredS said:

@FredS said:

Especially for widgets...

Not to mention that he cherry picked the data. There are numerous $400 sales for the non-CAC.

edited July 22, 2024 2:12PM

@jmlanzaf I didn't cherry pick anything. You did, by only choosing PCGS, and old holders. The "best offer accepted" coins tell you nothing. I picked a lowly NGC coin, and the first coin with a CAC sticker. It sold for double the the exact coin, right above it.

If you really believe CAC-stickered and CACG coins do not sell for more, that is your right. I know mine have! Cheers!

@FredS said:
    @jmlanzaf I didn't cherry pick anything. You did, by only choosing PCGS, and old holders. The "best offer accepted" coins tell you nothing. I picked a lowly NGC coin, and the first coin with a CAC sticker. It sold for double the the exact coin, right above it.

If you really do not believe CAC-stickered and CACG coins do not sell for more, that is your right. I know mine have! Cheers!

@FredS said:

If you really do not believe CAC-stickered and CACG coins do not sell for more, that is your right. I know mine have! Cheers!

I showed MORE coins than you did. There are far more above $350 than under if you look at everything. And my point was NOT that $450 was the right number. It was just that your $276 to $500 comparison was total BS. Add them all up and you'll get a PCGS/NGC average of around $375. It is hard to get an average of the CAC because there aren't a lot of them.

I'm one of the biggest CAC cheerleaders on the forum. But I also believe in accuracy. And as @MFeld pointed out, 50 to 100% premiums are not the norm. Many coin types are only 10 to 20%.

@FredS said:

(Not so) nice try, there. No one’s disputed that CAC coins tend to sell for more. At the same time, no one's agreed with the highly exaggerated 50% to 100% premium you originally stated.

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:
    Norm Talbert, there’s a blast from the past.
    I remember dealing with him when I still lived in Ohio, over 20 years ago.

Norm was from Cleveland, right?

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

@jmlanzaf said:

@Walkerfan said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Walkerfan said:

@FredS said:

Except we don't ever do it collectively.

Once again, you’re missing the point. Let me rephrase it and say ‘on average’.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file