Home U.S. Coin Forum

What to do or say to eBay sellers who are slow in mailing your package.

leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

This has occurred twice in the last month. The last one, after 6 days of waiting I asked if there was a tracking number. Within 1 hour I had one. This 2nd round its been 7 days and now I'm thinking I'll just say nothing and see just how long it will take before the seller gets his head out of....... and get my coin in the mail. Has this ever happened to you? I'm sure it has. How do you deal with it? lol

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Comments

• jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 861 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give it another couple days while messaging the seller demanding an update, otherwise cancel the order.

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you" Matthew 6:33. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.
    BHNC #AN-10
    JRCS #1606

• SimonWSimonW Posts: 835 ✭✭✭✭✭

What does the seller list as the handling time? What I would do in this situation would depend on that. If they list a handling time of a week, you don’t really have a complaint. If it’s a day, you have every right to complain.

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭✭✭

If there's no stated delay in shipping (out of town, etc), I'll give them 5 business days before asking about any delays in shipping. I've had two where the seller creates a shipping label and USPS never gets the package...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 569 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always message the seller complimenting the coin and telling them I am really looking forward to receiving it. Then follow up with I know life is busy but I would really appreciate you getting the coin in the mail ASAP.

This approach seems to work very well.

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the other side of the coin, (to motivate the buyer) as a seller I say in my listings: "You Pay Fast, I Ship Fast"

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• DocBenjaminDocBenjamin Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ebay has used a carrot and stick to encourage sellers to be exemplary. But with 15% fees, many don't care much any more about quality service. Cannot blame them.

I just wait the 7 days and file if there is not tracking info showing the shipment in the carriers system.

@jmlanzaf said:

@DocBenjamin said:
    Ebay has used a carrot and stick to encourage sellers to be exemplary. But with 15% fees, many don't care much any more about quality service. Cannot blame them.

I just wait the 7 days and file if there is not tracking info showing the shipment in the carriers system.

Anyone paying 15% in fees is not a professional seller. So if joy deal with amateurs, expect them to behave like amateurs.

Level playing field was long, long time ago...

• Old_CollectorOld_Collector Posts: 122 ✭✭✭

While you have to wait a week to do it, give them a terrible review, that may motivate them with future buyers. And honestly, if they generate the label and then don't ship for days they are indeed amateurs. Same if they get an order and don't process it for an extended period. Just use the review process and don't buy from them again.

• ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing. Just leave an appropriate review.

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,988 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RLSnapper said:
    I always message the seller complimenting the coin and telling them I am really looking forward to receiving it. Then follow up with I know life is busy but I would really appreciate you getting the coin in the mail ASAP.

This approach seems to work very well.

That’s my suggestion too. Go with the friendly reminder after several days then the more strict follow up. If still no reply (and you are beyond the stated handling/delivery time), then go ahead and open a case with eBay for item not received.

• rte592rte592 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@DocBenjamin said:

Anyone paying 15% in fees is not a professional seller. So if joy deal with amateurs, expect them to behave like amateurs.

Should I take offense to your statement? :D
    I'm on thebay to sell some of my collected accumulated stuff.
    I'm not on there to run a business, what a PITA that would be.
    I think THEbay RAKES 13-15%
    Sometimes I'm just glad to clean out some things and then having to deal with low ball offerings and the public...thebay fee and 1099 tax implications are way to much.

What was the question again 😯
    I usually ship out every other day, but don't make a special trip to get it in the mail.
    Keep in mind some packages go out USPS, UPS and or FedEx.
    That makes 3 stops depending on how eBay decides you should ship.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2024 6:35PM

While it’s important monitor pct that is selling expense analyze sales there is no set standard. Show dealers would consider expenses of a show (table fee, travel cost, meals, lodging) that total 15 pct sales not too bad. Whatever it is just work your angle mark stuff up accordingly make positive P&L. If your in the green, it’s a win.

Run for the daylight (design playbook for the green, desired margin). Lean mean green selling machine. For online seller, Shipping cost, time &materials, taxes, fees, FOH costs can very easily eat up a lot more than 15 pct sales. Some areas can force a narrow markup so find lucrative areas that can provide markup needed make it.

Coins & Currency
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always send my stuff out next business am(including sat) if paid by 8am eastern that Morning.

But on the flip side, I get a few procratinating payers as well.

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    While it’s important monitor pct that is selling expense analyze sales there is no set standard. Show dealers would consider expenses of a show (table fee, travel cost, meals, lodging) that total 15 pct sales not too bad. Whatever it is just work your angle mark stuff up accordingly make positive P&L. If your in the green, it’s a win.

Run for the daylight (design playbook for the green, desired margin). Lean mean green selling machine. For online seller, Shipping cost, time &materials, taxes, fees, FOH costs can very easily eat up a lot more than 15 pct sales. Some areas can force a narrow markup so find lucrative areas that can provide markup needed make it.

I'm truly curious... What in the world do you think this has to do with eBay sellers being slow to ship? Honestly, not trying to be difficult, I just want to understand.

• AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 395 ✭✭✭✭

If it's been about a week with no communication I'll politely ask for a tracking number or an ETA.

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awaiting shipment
    Order date:
    Jul 12, 2024
    Order total:
    US $31.84
    Est. delivery Wed, Jul 17 - Sat, Jul 20

Maybe I should send the seller this message; If package isn't delivered in 10 days, you get the item for free! lol

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rte592 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DocBenjamin said:

Should I take offense to your statement? :D
    I'm on thebay to sell some of my collected accumulated stuff.
    I'm not on there to run a business, what a PITA that would be.
    I think THEbay RAKES 13-15%
    Sometimes I'm just glad to clean out some things and then having to deal with low ball offerings and the public...thebay fee and 1099 tax implications are way to much.

What was the question again 😯
    I usually ship out every other day, but don't make a special trip to get it in the mail.
    Keep in mind some packages go out USPS, UPS and or FedEx.
    That makes 3 stops depending on how eBay decides you should ship.

No offense intended. But people who are selling a handful of things part time MAY not be even checking ebay daily. They may not go to the post office daily like "professional " sellers do.

That's not to say there aren't many reliable amateurs. But you are far more likely to encounter non-professional behavior from non-professionals.

edited July 20, 2024 12:33AM

@DocBenjamin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DocBenjamin said:

I don't know what that means exactly. Anyone can pay 8.35%. As long as you do $25,000 per year or so, the store pays for itself.

But even at 13%, they are still the best bargain in retail.

But the fees aren't what make people behave unprofessionally. It's the fact that they aren't trying to run a business.

@jmlanzaf said:

@DocBenjamin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DocBenjamin said:

I don't know what that means exactly. Anyone can pay 8.35%. As long as you do $25,000 per year or so, the store pays for itself.

But the fees aren't what make people behave unprofessionally. It's the fact that they aren't trying to run a business.

Tchotchkes can be profitably be sold at a 15% overhead, but straight graded PCGS coins coins, little if any margin is left for the seller. Original Ebay, all in was under 3% fvf plus 2.2% PP. That was without shelling out $20-28 a month for a store.

As the site double and tripled the non store vig, they offered up to 20% in discounts for the "professional" sellers to adhere to best practice metrics including next day shipping, even if the buyer took up to a week to pay for the auction win.

That worked. But then the discount eroded and the more casual, and I expect pros figured, a couple days to ship is no big deal.

Not an excuse to wait a week, but many buyers expect a same day tracking number and in the system in 24 hours.

No one is forced to use the site, but one can pack off the graded coins to an auction house for 10-15% and not have to worry about shipping times.

• TrickleChargeTrickleCharge Posts: 174 ✭✭✭

I had one instance where the seller hadn't shipped after a week. I sent a polite email and got no reply. It was a good score on a nice coin though, so I gave it some more time. Seller eventually reached out and said that they had been unexpectedly in the hospital and just got home. Shipped the coin the next day and it came with no issues, except for being about a month late at this point.

Was he in the hospital or on a week long bender? I don't care, was a nice coin at a great price and it came eventually which was all I wanted. Buying experiences vary, as of course they will when dealing with thousands of individual sellers on eBay. Communicate with sellers, have patience and try to be understanding.

• SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go to his brick and mortar and swipe his copy of Playboy

@DocBenjamin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DocBenjamin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DocBenjamin said:

Tchotchkes can be profitably be sold at a 15% overhead, but straight graded PCGS coins coins, little if any margin is left for the seller. Original Ebay, all in was under 3% fvf plus 2.2% PP. That was without shelling out $20-28 a month for a store.

As the site double and tripled the non store vig, they offered up to 20% in discounts for the "professional" sellers to adhere to best practice metrics including next day shipping, even if the buyer took up to a week to pay for the auction win.

That worked. But then the discount eroded and the more casual, and I expect pros figured, a couple days to ship is no big deal.

Not an excuse to wait a week, but many buyers expect a same day tracking number and in the system in 24 hours.

No one is forced to use the site, but one can pack off the graded coins to an auction house for 10-15% and not have to worry about shipping times.

Coin margins suck. Yes, there are a lot of coins that can't be sold on eBay. But you can't beat the eBay cost. No auction house is that cheap. You can go FB or IG but you don't get any of the services you get on eBay.

I'll repeat: ebay is the best bargain in retail

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to mention this.
    This week I received two seperate shipments of coins.

The first one only showed that a shipping label was created and was awaiting for the item to be received by USPS.
    Well several days latter, I was notified that the coin would be delivered "today" by my post office which it was within the hour.
    The coin still showed that only a shipping label was created.

The second one only showed that a shipping label had been created and it showed up in my mailbox with no notice that it shipped or it would be delivered today.
    Strange.

Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 22, 2024 11:25AM

Over 20 years on eBay longest I waited was maybe 3-4 days. If is was 6-7 days I would send a message to ask if the package has gone out. If no response I would wait out the clock and get a refund what else can you really do except that and leave feedback.

I know bad things can happen people can end up in hospitals, pass away or whatever else life can throw at someone it just never happened to me as a buyer.

• Old_CollectorOld_Collector Posts: 122 ✭✭✭

My experience other than buying slabbed coins on EBay is selling a few pinball machines and a tractor and those are all sold for local pickup or buyer arranges and pays for transport. That makes my life a lot easier. ;)

• TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some people are on summer vacation. But that should be stated as out of office till whatever date. Some people may forget to edit their account e when on vacation.

• AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@DocBenjamin said:

Anyone paying 15% in fees is not a professional seller. So if you deal with amateurs, expect them to behave like amateurs.

In my experience, the amateurs are often more responsive than the pros. The professional may, for instance, post only once per week whilst the one-offer jumps on it straight away.

Smitten with DBLCs.

edited July 20, 2024 1:29PM

@Aotearoa said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DocBenjamin said:

Anyone paying 15% in fees is not a professional seller. So if you deal with amateurs, expect them to behave like amateurs.

In my experience, the amateurs are often more responsive than the pros. The professional may, for instance, post only once per week whilst the one-offer jumps on it straight away.

Sometimes. Other times, the amateur will leave something listed for months after it already sold or fail to ship or pack sloppily.

Pros are building a business. Amateurs could be having a one time garage sale and don't care about negative reviews. They just change accounts and start again.

[Obviously, it's not 100% with either group.]

@jmlanzaf said:

@DocBenjamin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DocBenjamin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DocBenjamin said:

Coin margins suck. Yes, there are a lot of coins that can't be sold on eBay. But you can't beat the eBay cost. No auction house is that cheap. You can go FB or IG but you don't get any of the services you get on eBay.

But we are having this chat on the PCGS coin forum (about 70% of my online business was straight graded PCGS holdered coins.)

Meet on the vintage Pez dispenser forum and we can have a different conversation.

• Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭✭

Don"t tell them that, they will increase the cost.

@DocBenjamin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DocBenjamin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DocBenjamin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DocBenjamin said:

But we are having this chat on the PCGS coin forum (about 70% of my online business was straight graded PCGS holdered coins.)

Meet on the vintage Pez dispenser forum and we can have a different conversation.

It's the same point for coins. Sales have costs in any venue. You still can't beat ebay for online coin sales.

@jmlanzaf said:

@DocBenjamin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DocBenjamin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DocBenjamin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DocBenjamin said:

It's the same point for coins. Sales have costs in any venue. You still can't beat ebay for online coin sales.

There was a poster here that carried the torch for Ebay.
    Sold errors as I recall.

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 46,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DocBenjamin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DocBenjamin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DocBenjamin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DocBenjamin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DocBenjamin said:

Sold errors as I recall.

I forgot his name but I remember that he got banned.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

@PerryHall said:

@DocBenjamin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DocBenjamin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DocBenjamin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DocBenjamin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DocBenjamin said:

Sold errors as I recall.

I forgot his name but I remember that he got banned.

Chris, @ctf_error_coins

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

So.......I've noticed the seller hasn't received any feedback for 6 months.....maybe this guy has met his Maker or has lost his ability to function. But then again, the way some folks grade and sell coins......he likely just doesn't care and has left the farm.
    And, no, I haven't sent a reminder about his sale....hasn't ebay already done that?

Leo

• PROMETHIUS88PROMETHIUS88 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WAYNEAS said:
    I have to mention this.
    This week I received two seperate shipments of coins.

The first one only showed that a shipping label was created and was awaiting for the item to be received by USPS.
    Well several days latter, I was notified that the coin would be delivered "today" by my post office which it was within the hour.
    The coin still showed that only a shipping label was created.

The second one only showed that a shipping label had been created and it showed up in my mailbox with no notice that it shipped or it would be delivered today.
    Strange.

Wayne

I have this issue as a seller if I don't drop everything off at the counter to have them scan an item as received.

On 7/13, the lobby/counter closed early for some reason so I put the 2 items I had into the slot. One of them showed in possession by USPS by Monday morning and has been delivered. The other item(almost $400) still shows waiting to be received by USPS.

Anything I would put into the drive up box....well, that was a crapshoot if it would get scanned or delivered at all so I stopped using that a long time ago. I'm not sure why this is so difficult for USPS.

Promethius881969@yahoo.com
  • rec78rec78 Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2024 4:23AM

I have this issue as a seller if I don't drop everything off at the counter to have them scan an item as received.

On 7/13, the lobby/counter closed early for some reason so I put the 2 items I had into the slot. One of them showed in possession by USPS by Monday morning and has been delivered. The other item(almost $400) still shows waiting to be received by USPS.

Anything I would put into the drive up box....well, that was a crapshoot if it would get scanned or delivered at all so I stopped using that a long time ago. I'm not sure why this is so difficult for USPS.

Exactly what happened to me.
    I started this thread :smile:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1102171/ebay-coin-delivery-problem-solved-not#latest
    This was never resolved so I guess that I am out the $39.00

I used to use the drop box at the Bethlehem, Pa. PO until this happened. Now, I go inside to make sure my packages are scanned. They still do not scan the eBay standard envelopes right away. I am not going to list many coins valued at under $20 so as to not use the ebay standard envelope very much anymore. Also sometimes the tracking says "Out for delivery by ebay delivery service". Whatever "eBay delivery service" is I don't know . but a lot of these never get delivered.
    Still, eBay with all it's flaws is the best venue to sell. 15% is more then fair. Other venues will not have the audience that ebay gets.
    I do not sell any bullion on ebay and would adise against it. Better to just dump common constituional silver at my local coin shop. Everyone knows the price of silver. Why sell bullion stuff on ebay?, when I can sell it to my local coin shop at slightly below melt without the 15% fee.
    For instance my local shop pays $30.00 per ounce for silver rounds and sells them for $31.50 per ounce. Even if I get $34.00 per ounce on ebay the 15% free sucks up any profit and lets me a net loss.

@leothelyon said:
    @rec78 said:

Exactly what happened to me.
    I started this thread :smile:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1102171/ebay-coin-delivery-problem-solved-not#latest
    This was never resolved so I guess that I am out the $39.00

I used to use the drop box at the Bethlehem, Pa. PO until this happened. Now, I go inside to make sure my packages are scanned. They still do not scan the eBay standard envelopes right away. I am not going to list many coins valued at under $20 so as to not use the ebay standard envelope very much anymore. Also sometimes the tracking says "Out for delivery by ebay delivery service". Whatever "eBay delivery service" is I don't know . but a lot of these never get delivered.
    Still, eBay with all it's flaws is the best venue to sell. 15% is more then fair. Other venues will not have the audience that ebay gets.
    I do not sell any bullion on ebay and would adise against it. Better to just dump common constituional silver at my local coin shop. Everyone knows the price of silver. Why sell bullion stuff on ebay?, when I can sell it to my local coin shop at slightly below melt without the 15% fee.
    For instance my local shop pays $30.00 per ounce for silver rounds and sells them for $31.50 per ounce. Even if I get $34.00 per ounce on ebay the 15% free sucks up any profit and lets me a net loss.

All very good points.

If you have a basic store, you can get the fees down to under 5% on bullion (7.5% under $1500, 5% if over $1500, 4.5% if over $10k) but I still rarely sell bullion as you still have associated risks that don't exist if you just wholesale it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file