Home U.S. Coin Forum

Has anyone cracked a coin from it’s holder to put in an album?

I am one coin from completing my 1916-1947 Walking liberty album. Of course it is a 1921 D, I bought a VG10 and am 99.9% sure I will crack it open and have a nice complete album, just wondering if anyone else had this same predicament

Best Answer

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tuck70 said:

I’m trying to show you the empty spot in my album that is now filled and complete

That coin looks right at home in that album, nice job. Tape the insert from the cracked holder onto the back cover and enjoy looking at that nice full page.

Sean Reynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Answers

• TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. 🤣 😂

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Getting ready to do exact same move. 1921D Walker. I have cracked out coins for albums many times. I use a band saw. A breeze with no damage to the coin and label safe from tearing.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Thanks for your response guys and gals
    I think I’ll try that, thanks jesbroken
    “Crack ‘em open!”

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

My seated quarter set used to be in an album. I started certifying it last year.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

No

But many buy problem (details) slabbed coins (per problem coin dealer) for that purpose.

Coins & Currency

Band Saw? Did someone say band saw? That's not Crack ‘em open, that's cutt 'em open! 🤣 😂

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• ndeaglesndeagles Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭

Yep, all the time. Most expensive crackout yet was my 1909S vdb cent in xF45. I'm an album collector who also collects slabs, but I don't leave empty holes in my albums.

@ndeagles said:
    Yep, all the time. Most expensive crackout yet was my 1909S vdb cent in xF45. I'm an album collector who also collects slabs, but I don't leave empty holes in my albums.

Now that one takes guts! I just don't have the kahunas to do that one, the 16-D or the 55DDO.

• I know, the 21D cost me a pretty good penny even in VG10 grade but the album looks awesome with no holes!! And I figure I can always get it graded again
    Thanks again for all the responses, it’s great hearing what others with the same “coin bug” have to say

You know what is said about coin posts w/o pics! Let's see them.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

@jesbroken said:
    Getting ready to do exact same move. 1921D Walker. I have cracked out coins for albums many times. I use a band saw. A breeze with no damage to the coin and label safe from tearing.
    Jim

I just use my bench vise to slowly crack them open.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I'm getting ready to do it now.

I went to my local dealer, the Lakeland show and the FUN show to build a BU short set of Walking Liberty Half Dollars, 1941 to '47. I found all but three of them raw. Those three are in holders, and I intend on cracking them. It will lower their value, but I'd like to have raw sets of the World War II area cents, nickels, Mercury Dimes and Walking Liberty Half Dollars.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am about to be a CHEATER and crack a 1922 "weak D" (Die 3) and put it in my 1922 "Plain" hole of my Dansco (ANACS F12). It was an impulse buy at a local auction, and really doesn't fit anywhere else in my collection. So, it will go downstairs to the workbench as soon as I get it. >:)

Besides - it will be much more fun in an album!

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• willywilly Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did on my BU Washington quarter set. I will never get that money back but I like the set.

Also I am going to crack a 21-D to finish my Walking Liberty set.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@jesbroken said:
    Jim

THIS is the way.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

@Jacques_Loungecoque said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@jesbroken said:
    Jim

THIS is the way.

Don't tell me, tell @jesbroken. 🤣 😂 😉

• AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 395 ✭✭✭✭

I just cracked out an ANACS AU55 1932 D for my Washington quarter set.

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    If you use a vice to crack out a coin, suggest that you wrap the slab in a small towel to prevent flying plastic shards.

Absolutely right! I always like to use one of those smaller microfiber towels. Also, if anyone does employ this method, make sure you crack it along the long edge. And turn the vice very slowly and methodically. Be prepared to repeatedly check the status of the cracking as you go along. Don’t just go for broke.

You don’t need to crack the whole slab 360 degrees. Usually if you get a good separation started to can finish with a flat screwdriver, working around the perimeter.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

edited July 30, 2024 2:17PM

@PerryHall said:
    If you use a vice to crack out a coin, suggest that you wrap the slab in a small towel to prevent flying plastic shards.

• JWPJWP Posts: 21,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, for both my 7070 and my Lincoln date set. In a couple of cases where I could not bring myself to crack a coin, I sold the one in the holder and bought another example in a lower grade that weas already raw or not as big a financial risk to liberate.

Sean REynolds

Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor

Best luck with however you decide to crack open your slab. I would AdVise first timers to truly be careful, especially with expensive coins. Cracking the slab can possibly leave a nice resultant scratch that looks just like the crack. I did it many times and had a few close calls and I SAW a better method. ;)
    Jim

• PapiNEPapiNE Posts: 301 ✭✭✭

Yes and recently. PCGS MS66 51-S Roosevelt. Could not find a raw gem and won an auction for this one at half its retail value. Label is pasted to the inside cover as a reference for those that inherit.

USAF veteran 1984-2005

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2024 6:45PM

Before I got bored with and sold it, I cracked out all of my MS67 (misses) for this album.

Edit: zincs at 67 and coppers at 66.

• Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭✭

I generally leave them in the holder and put a different coin of the same denomination in the space with the reverse showing. This tells me that I have the coin in the slab and fills the hole. If the coin is labelled details, I might, but not necessarily always crack it out.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:
    Before I got bored with and sold it, I cracked out all of my MS67 (misses) for this album.

I ended up purchasing that album when you offered it on eBay.
    I was always wondering why you would crack such expensive coins when raw ones were available.

peacockcoins

• TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2024 7:30PM

Yes many but I keep my better graded coins in numerical AU or higher in their holders same for key date coins. The rest I break out I enjoy way more that way.

I have no intention of selling any coins I own so I do not care if most are raw. For me they are to be enjoyed. The better coins I own are in my banks vault and they never come out and I will continue to put the better coins I buy there. I have images of those coins and I am fine looking at those.

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

@Coinscratch said:

I ended up purchasing that album when you offered it on eBay.
    I was always wondering why you would crack such expensive coins when raw ones were available.

The initial idea was to have the best of both worlds in one plus they might’ve toned and popped to a plus one day.

They mostly came from bankrolls so really not that expensive aside from tuition costs. Then I had an epiphany one day and decided to sell everything and focus on building a set of Kennedys in MS67 and up.

So now I’m buying tons of mint sets, and the funny thing is the Lincoln‘s in these sets are never as good as what I found in bank rolls even circulated rolls.

• pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of the coins in my Capital holder of Franklin's were cracked out.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • ajaanajaan Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tuck70 said:
    I am one coin from completing my 1916-1947 Walking liberty album. Of course it is a 1921 D, I bought a VG10 and am 99.9% sure I will crack it open and have a nice complete album, just wondering if anyone else had this same predicament

Hope it isn't in a SEGS slab.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • oilers99oilers99 Posts: 218 ✭✭✭

I cracked open a 1909-S VDB (XF40) and 1922 no D (VF35) from PCGS holders to finish my Lincoln Dansco album - no regrets!

• anablepanablep Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I recently cracked out an NGC 1914-D cent & placed it into my Lincoln cent album with no regrets.

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cracked from an ANACS UDM MS64 holder.
    It's in my Morgan album. It looks just like a proof.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA
    Dantheman984 Toyz4geo SurfinxHI greencopper RWW bigjpst

• AllentramAllentram Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

I'm in the same situation as a couple of other posters. I'm 3 coins shy of completing my Walking Liberty Half album, and the 1921-D is in a PCGS G4 holder. For now I plan to just keep it in the holder, but it is tempting to crack/cut it out and fill the album hole.

• Well I did it, thanks to all who responded and gave me the balls (I was going to anyway) to do it. Here’s some pictures, I tried but the pictures will get better. Now I’m thinking of starting a Dansco 7070 or Barbers and Roosevelts , not sure yet

Good job but this scares me!

• I was apprehensive but if you have the snips in the right place it cracks nicely, this was my 2nd time, I also cracked out a 1919 S Walker but that one I used a hammer, it worked but I like the snips way - much better

• No predicament here... I would estimate conservatively that I've cracked out 300+ coins over the years to put into albums. That includes some valued at several thousand dollars.

James at EarlyUS.com

On the web: http://www.earlyus.com

@OldeTowneCoinShoppe said:
    No predicament here... I would estimate conservatively that I've cracked out 300+ coins over the years to put into albums. That includes some valued at several thousand dollars.

Do you take pictures of the coins in the slabs before you break them out or save the bar code labels?

• bramn8rbramn8r Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭

Crack em out with pliers or a vise.

• DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Snips are how the pros remove PCGS coins. Good work.

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

About 50% of these...

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file