Home U.S. Coin Forum

Does anyone collect commems?

2»

Comments

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn’t like them 35 years ago and don’t like them now.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

This post made me want to start another classic commemorative set!

Thanksgiving National Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024 at the Eisenhower Allstar Sportsplex, Gettysburg, PA. Tables are available. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 816 ✭✭✭✭✭

Used to think they were neat, but now realize they are far too common to appreciate for the price needed to invest. The supply is way too high, despite the "low" mintages (massive survival rates in high grades).

The only think that could get me excited is original packaging for raw classic halves and a frosty Gem Lafayette.

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you" Matthew 6:33. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.
    BHNC #AN-10
    JRCS #1606

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is with the lighting cranked up.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mrcommem said:
    I have had a set since 2000 and once ranked number 2. They are much more inexpensive then when I acquired most of them so I have lost money, but I didn't collect them for the profit. Still, they have risen a little over the last two years.
    One of my favorites and a key to the series.

Interesting toning

• DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jacrispies said:
    Used to think they were neat, but now realize they are far too common to appreciate for the price needed to invest. The supply is way too high, despite the "low" mintages (massive survival rates in high grades).

The only think that could get me excited is original packaging for raw classic halves and a frosty Gem Lafayette.

The CACs are not as common as many commemoratives were repeatedly dipped.

Frosty Gem Lafayettes are exceptional; but, Lafayettes themselves appear to be relatively overvalued when one compares their populations to other commemoratives. Of course, one can argue that an $1 commemorative is in a class by itself.

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a few exceptions but I find most commems to be dull, uninteresting coins.Odd denomination pieces like 2 cent and 3 cent pieces don't do anything for me either.Each to their own I guess. Somebody needs to collect the oddballs and homelies but it ain't going to be me.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dug13 said:
    Currently only have 1 in collection,
    but might start chasing the mystical,
    seldom spoken of, sometimes controversial 1984 Denver Proof issue. The St Charles show is this weekend, maybe, just maybe one will show up.

I wasn't looking for that in particular, but when I saw one at booth 1702, it reminded me of your post. Hopefully it is still there when you go.

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like some of the commems, but for me they suffer from Morgan syndrome. I just see too many of them to get excited about them.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file