Home U.S. Coin Forum

Does anyone collect commems?

SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems they are a redheaded step child. I personally started a 50 coin set, but find some of them insignificant to the theme and butt ugly. So, I buy what I like in them. Not to mention they're expensive inv65 and up , but 64s are noticeably inferior. Like they shouldn't be 64s. Thank you.

Comments

• edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some do, I do not. Coin budget funds better utilized in other areas. Good luck.

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not one of the things that ever peaked my interests

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

theres classic commems im looking at as well, maybe turn a few over fwiw

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed, some of them are crap mixed in with some awesome themes and beautiful coins. Maybe do a box of 20, or a themes set like ships, or Civil War etc.

• pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

@abbyme24 - that is the goal but as you say, some such as the Spanish Trail, are almost impossible to find but I have nothing but time....

Tim

• ndeaglesndeagles Posts: 380 ✭✭✭✭

I filed the extra holes in my WLH dansco with commem halves. Only the ones I liked, don't care for all of them.

• pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL, thanks @AZdavy and my apologies to the OP!

Tim

• goldengolden Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. So many of them are just ugly.

• MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2024 12:43PM

Every year or so I start a set of certified classic commems, get tired and sell them. I like the toned ones, but they can be lofty in price. Currently, I do not have a set in the works.

Thanksgiving National Battlefield Coin Show is November 29-30, 2024 at the Eisenhower Allstar Sportsplex, Gettysburg, PA. Tables are available. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 660 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used to be. Was about 90% into a type set. Then started making babies. They didn’t circulate so there’s no shortage of pretty much any of them, barring some of the lower mintage coins. Therefore, unless demand spikes significantly, prices won’t rise. Demand continues to just barely meet supply.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2024 2:22PM

Yes I do. PCGS graded lowball ones, raw circ ones and holed ones. I’m in it for the fun of collecting them and not to see how much money I can make. They are just so much fun to collect and they all have history behind them And you can check out my Lafayette grading set

• HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a 50 coin set, and am still in the market for an occasional upgrade. (where upgrade may be "numerical" or it may simply be a coin with special originality or toning)

Also, thanks to inspiration from @braddick and @pocketpiececommems, I have about 30 or so well circulated examples. At some point, I'd like to complete this set, but many are quite hard to find with a natural circulated look!

Higashiyama
  • Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭✭

I very much like the classics, for the most part. However, they did get carried away with the multi-year issues such as Texas, Daniel Boone, George Washington Carver, Booker T. Washington, and others. I like some of the moderns, but not many.

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

And 20+ years ago when I lost a circ commem on eBay it was usually to Faraway57 and that was how us circ commem guys got go to know each other

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

@telephoto1 said:
    Now's the time to try to pick some nice examples before this series starts getting pushed by market makers again.
    And it will happen.

People have been saying this for many years.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

Working on a gold commem set in "rare" holders - stymied by Lewis and Clark currently.

Have only owned a small number of silver ones.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 660 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    Working on a gold commem set in "rare" holders - stymied by Lewis and Clark currently.

Have only owned a small number of silver ones.

Including the slugs?

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• breakdownbreakdown Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

A thread like this makes me think I might start up again. I had 20 or so and got discouraged and sold all but two.

If I start again, it will be with no illusions. It’s a thin market with a deep and wide supply.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, that was fun. I too buy only the ones I like with no illusion of building a 50 coin type set. Too many uglies . So I have maybe 10-15 coins. Thanks guys/gals

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,071 ✭✭✭✭✭

@breakdown said:
    A thread like this makes me think I might start up again. I had 20 or so and got discouraged and sold all but two.

If I start again, it will be with no illusions. It’s a thin market with a deep and wide supply.

While there’s a large supply for most issues, I don’t consider the market to be thin, other than in the case of top-pop examples.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• breakdownbreakdown Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@breakdown said:

While there’s a large supply for most issues, I don’t consider the market to be thin, other than in the case of top-pop examples.

I bought this coin in 2010 from a good dealer who sold it to me at a fair price ($355):

Not sure I could get $355 for it today. That's what I mean by thin market although there may be a better term for it. The point is that supply outstrips demand and keeps prices depressed.

And yes, Mark, you were the one who sold it to me.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,071 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2024 9:02AM

@breakdown said:

@MFeld said:

@breakdown said:

I bought this coin in 2010 from a good dealer who sold it to me at a fair price ($355):

Not sure I could get $355 for it today. That's what I mean by thin market although there may be a better term for it. The point is that supply outstrips demand and keeps prices depressed.

And yes, Mark, you were the one who sold it to me.

I really like the look of that coin, even if I did sell it to you.😉

My reason for not considering the market to be thin is that I believe there are a large number of collectors and buyers of classic silver commemoratives. However, at the same time, for many issues, there’s also a fairly large supply - even in grades through MS67 - so not enough demand to drive prices noticeably higher.

I’ve always thought the series was very well suited for collectors, due to the large diversity in designs, general availability, and relative affordability. But, as price performance over a long period of time has shown, that’s not necessarily a recipe for a good investment.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 740 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2024 7:05AM

If there is one thing that could further interest in classic commemoratives, is the mint making modern versions of them. I think a modern Oregon Trail Memorial Half Dollar would be a hit, or Pan Pac restrikes, or a restrike of the Texas halves since the bicentennial of 2036 is approaching.

• DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

@breakdown said:

I started my Classic Commemoratives Set back in 2004 and prices have definitely gone down since then. Has the demand dropped off that significantly as new collectors have come on board since Covid? One wonders if the prices were supported by Market Makers who have since then moved on.

144 and even fifty slabs plus some golds take up a lot of room in the safe deposit box. The idea of a box of 20 makes a lot of sense. So I've been trying to think of which ones are keepers. So far I have come up with my TOP TWELVE COMMEMORATIVES
    LEWIS &CLARK 1905 GOLD DOLLAR
    GRANT NO STAR GOLD DOLLAR 
    HAWAIIAN
    SPANISH TRAIL
    PANAMA-PACIFIC
    OREGON 1939-D
    MISSOURI 2X4
    VANCOUVER
    HUDSON
    ARKANSAS 1938-S
    ISABELLA
    BOONE 1938-S

Which are the other eight that should be added?

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dabble in them a bit, but just in the designs I really love. Texas, Oregon Trail, Connecticut, for example. All of mine are original beautiful toned coins. Commems seem reasonably priced too, which is nice!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really like them picked up some offered me at recent show. Oregon Trail my fav.

Coins & Currency
  • SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WiscKau said:

MS64

• WiscKauWiscKau Posts: 110 ✭✭✭

@Soldi said:

@WiscKau said:

MS64

Thanks, but AU-58

• Dug13Dug13 Posts: 249 ✭✭✭

Currently only have 1 in collection,
    but might start chasing the mystical,
    seldom spoken of, sometimes controversial 1984 Denver Proof issue. The St Charles show is this weekend, maybe, just maybe one will show up.

Wall of HONOR transaction list:WonderCoin, CoinFlip, Masscrew, Travintiques, lordmarcovan, Jinx86, Gerard, ElKevvo

• GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't collect them but one of these days I'd like to acquire an Albany (NY is my home state), an Oregon Trail (magnificent rendering of a Native American) and a Hawaiian half dollar. I also wouldn't mind owning any of the Pan-Pac commemoratives, in any denomination, but this is financially unfeasible.

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too many of dubious intent and bad art to ever consider a full set. Have a few as type, birth sets (e.g. mom 1918).

• ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect them and am close to finishing the type set, just need one more kiddo to graduate college. Some of the designs I have multiples of such as the Bay Bridge (I like bears), Cali Jubilee (the bear again and I was born in California) and Rhode Islands (went to URI). I don't think I'll ever do the 144 piece set, too much room needed. I do like most of the designs and they all have interesting history IMO even if the goal of an issuance was to fleece the public!

K

ANA LM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file