Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

When is ANA 's WFOM coming again to California? 11 years since last!

2»

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rexford said:
    I liked Denver, wish it could return there.

Me too, but it ain’t gonna happen. Once you get out of the Cheyenne-Pueblo axis it is several hundreds of miles of driving to any population centers .

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

@foodude said:

@Elcontador said:
    Rosemont is right at the doorstep of Chicago's O'Hare Airport.

I think there is still a sales tax exemption for businesses that are here for under a certain number of days per year. At the Los Angeles ANA in 2009, I saw one East Coast Dealer doing business not charging sales tax.

There is no number of days exemption for sales tax. The certain number if days per year regards nexus, which relates to another set of undesirable issues dealing in CA.

Some dealers perhaps do not collect sales tax at their peril. Some people build it into their price. For sales over $2000, the entire sale is sales tax exempt. And some sales are sales tax exempt because the buyer has given the dealer their sales tax ID; often it is on file from previous dealings.

Thanks. Nexus involves a requirement to file CA sales tax returns at least annually, possibly more frequently. I think there used to be a threshold sales amount under which CA would not go after vendors. Other states are like that.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Boosibri said:
    The 2016 ANA was not a good show.

I disagree with this. The 2016 show in Anaheim was pretty good, IMO. Maybe you are thinking of the 2009 ANA in Los Angeles which was terrible.

I was also at the 1995 ANA in Anaheim which was a great show as well.

Different POVs I guess.....

jom

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,967 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jom said:

@Boosibri said:
    The 2016 ANA was not a good show.

I disagree with this. The 2016 show in Anaheim was pretty good, IMO. Maybe you are thinking of the 2009 ANA in Los Angeles which was terrible.

I was also at the 1995 ANA in Anaheim which was a great show as well.

Different POVs I guess.....

jom

I was at the ANA in 2009

Prices were great and a lot to buy 🤓

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not surprised parts of this thread turned into the usual tired political diatribes on selected cities by some of the usual suspects.

Think it's actually safer to venture into said cities (I've actually been to some of them) then it is to venture into the forum town square here.

This political sh*t is getting old.

• Options
    EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remembered the Anaheim show wasn't well attended but I remember that the San Francisco ANA show some time ago was rockin' and rolling. That was a great location and it was a great show for dealer and collectors. I was coming from the east coast for that trip and while it was cross country, it was worth it. I wouldn't mind SF, Denver, Chicago, Nashville or Pittsburgh for locations for the show.

Easton Collection
  • Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EastonCollection:
    SF was a great show! Easy one for me as well as I live less than 30 minutes away. Went home after the day’s events & just drove back the next day.
    Unfortunately, though, I have to agree with many of the posters about the logistical & expense difficulties with future CA shows on the ANA level. While Rosemont & Pittsburgh aren’t great locations for me, I understand why they work for so many, especially Rosemont.
    But I can dream…..

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ElmerFusterpuck said:
    Not surprised parts of this thread turned into the usual tired political diatribes on selected cities by some of the usual suspects.

Think it's actually safer to venture into said cities (I've actually been to some of them) then it is to venture into the forum town square here.

This political sh*t is getting old.

I failed to see the political posts you speak of. Since when is talking about how safe a city is or is not, political. I never read why a place is unsafe only that statistically it is.

• Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Is California dying as a coin show location? Seems so to me.

East coast folks don't want to come to california because of inflationary cost rises. Perceived homeless and crime.
    Which is mostly not everywhere here.
    Same issues for us californias going east. 4 ,5 nights hotels pushing $300 per night if you want to be close.
    Last time I was at the ANA in chicago my car cost me $500 plus. Airfare way up too. I spend more going on the trip then I spend there on coins! So I've been skipping the ANA show for a number of years now. I have addended a couple of dozen in the past. The extra $3K can buy alot of coins at auction bidding from home. Costs vs success way up . Not to mention the big city crime back east
    In Pittsburg I had to RUN away from a mugger chasing me. In Philly street gangs hanging on corners were threatening a few of us in a cab at night coming back from dinner. You don't hear of such things from folks much.
    Times are a changing, and as a good baseball player would do we must adjust to the changing coin landscape.

• Options
    kruegerkrueger Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

To me it's not about variety of location just respect for collectiors in the state with the most ANA members.
    Is the ANA a collector organization or a dealer centric organization? Preferring their east of the Mississippi locations.
    More East -West show balance would be fairer to its members.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been to every ANA since 1970 and will go to the show no matter where it is held, but I really hope that is never in California again.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NewEnglandRarities said:
    OKC is a surprising choice, and I suspect will be a tough outcome from a tough decision for the board at ANA.

There have been two surprisingly successful shows in Oklahoma in the past month, OKC (Moore) in April and Tulsa in June. Frankly, it was nice not to see more than the usual Houston gangs.

Maybe the answer to the dilemma is to have super-regional shows.

There is a push to make the Tyler show a bigger deal. Last year it overlapped with ANA WFoM. This year it's the weekend after. They had a poster at Grapevine this weekend showcasing 100 tables (the five-times a year show at Grapevine is just 70 tables) and 51 dealers!

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file