Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just a rant.

I would like to share my thoughts on this entire forum, which will probably get me banned but it's not like anyone here really helps me anyway. I have bought 4 coin books that has Collectors Universe advertised as the go-to place for real professional help and advice. Yet every time I come here for advice or help all I ever get in return is uppity sarcasm! If I wasn't a true lover of this hobby, this place would make me hate everything about coins. And I have watched, I am not special, y'all treat everyone that is not part of the online click here the same way, like it is bothersome for us new people to post anything!! If this is the way you are going to treat people why advertise this in the coin books as the go-to place to come?? From where I sit all that the majority of you are doing is belittle new people trying to learn something new! And if this is what it has become then I personally don't want to be any part of it!!! Here is the perfect example of this happening to me again today. My post earlier about the 2024 quarter that I found, y'all Read the tread. Not one thing is mentioned about the coin, but yet I'm criticized for both incorrectly identifying the error, then again for the auto correction that I missed that caused the misspelling of her first name. And still no mention of the error that is obvious on the reverse of that coin. So in closing, I'll say thanks for all your help.

Comments

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭

Read the first dozen or so of the threads you started and think you have been treated exceptionally well Must be having a bad day.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most coins you find in your pocketbook or a parking lot are worth face value. There is a reason why some coins bring big premiums. First, and most importantly, collectors want them. Second, there are fewer coins available than collectors who want them. That is the most simple basis the basis for collectors value.

A 2024 quarter would have to be very special to be worth a premium.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

Okay, let’s start over, what is it that you want me to do?
    (This is your best opportunity to get banned.)

(It is a perfect rant, I remember nothing written, plenty of emotion.)
    (Many of us try to prevent new members from making the mistakes that we made when we joined)
    (The survivors wrote rants that were readable and logical.)

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2024 6:58PM

@Namvet69 said:
    The depth and breadth of knowledge here means one might not be prepared for the experience of a critique or opinion served with a scoop of reality. Me, I check my ego at the door, cause this place is definitely worth the price of admission. And the humor and irony makes me smile. Peace Roy

That's an excellent point. I'm smart enough to know, the knowledge level and experience here can chew me up and spit me out.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

In your other thread you identified the anomalies as cuds, and a few mentioned that they were die chips. That acknowledged the anomalies you saw.

You also asked if anyone had seen that quarter with those anomalies. Speaking for myself, I haven't seen any examples of that quarter design in circulation. Should we have answered "no"?

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think I’ve ever opened any of your threads until now, this must be your first interesting title. :D

You might be expecting too much or trying too hard. I’d say lighten up most of the natives are friendly and more than willing to help.

I would be interested in a 2024 Quarter if it graded 68 otherwise I no clickie.

Cheers

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

Invest in a few paragraph returns. Otherwise, many will simply skip over the wall of text.

Since you seem to appreciate sarcasm, do you want white or red whine with that cheese?

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello, welcome to our forum. You were told of the error in the person's name and you choose NOT to correct that simple error that would make your post title sensible.

I'll admit I opened that thread just to see what Pasty something you were even referring to.

Show respect and you may receive it back to you.

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Apparently member @Fraz was banned sometime after posting to this thread. That's odd.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 15,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maywood said:
    Apparently member @Fraz was banned sometime after posting to this thread. That's odd.

It was due to his spirited response to the Juneteenth thread. Those kinds of threads often bring down good members. That's one of the goals of the trolls who start them.

• Options

Bummer!

• Options
    RiveraFamilyCollectRiveraFamilyCollect Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2024 5:04PM

The moderators response to that thread was pretty strange. They pushed a message of tolerance, when the issue was blatant racism that riled up a lot of people.
    I get the impression Fraz got banned for calling their moderating bad while using a curse word.

The substantial truth doctrine is an important defense in defamation law that allows individuals to avoid liability if the gist of their statement was true.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2024 6:40PM

... I have bought 4 coin books that has Collectors Universe advertised as the go-to place for real professional help and advice.
    ... If this is the way you are going to treat people why advertise this in the coin books as the go-to place to come??

Is is really a paid advertisement in the books, or is it simply a recommendation?

If it is a recommendation by the book author,
    their incentive to be accurate was done when you paid money to buy the books.
    Maybe you should ask the book author why they made the recommendation.
    We had nothing to do with it. We are unpaid volunteers.

These authors prey on people who have the fantasy that their spare change is loaded with high value "error" coins.
    You are one of their victims.

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I had a website, I would get some of the most simpleton type of questions that could be easily answered through a search on the internet. I would direct them to get a certain numismatic book or tell them to search a term and for some reason, some would get pi$$ed and never return. Others would apologize. So it's really a mixed bag out there on how people respond and so life carries on, it's out of yours, my hands.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@emeraldATV said:

Again, a perfect 10 post.
    Emerald, with the late take off, sets up deep in the barrel, and emerges standing tall in a blast of spray.
    Outstanding!
    The GOAT.
    🐐

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2024 8:58AM

@Matt97932, that wasn’t “just a rant”. It was an uncalled-for and misguided rant.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

I came here to make friends with people who enjoyed coins and camaraderie. We just have to recognize those who are not in it for either of those. I feel ya.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    @Matt97932, that wasn’t “just a rant”. It was an uncalled-for and misguided rant.

We really don't know. Maybe it provided the OP therapeutic relief.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

@MFeld said:

We really don't know. Maybe it provided the OP therapeutic relief.

Even if so, it was still uncalled-for and misguided.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 564 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:

@Maywood said:

If I recall correctly, I believe @Fraz might have started a thread earlier today that perhaps wasn't exactly polite toward the PCGS moderation team and it appears that the thread is gone, too.

I must have missed all the excitement. Bummer about Fraz, I liked that guy.

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am disappointed that the OP feels this way. I believe this to be the absolute best coin forum available anywhere, ever!

I am always happy when I am able to help someone out on here whether it’s on a thread or in a Private message.

I love this hobby and enjoy when I can help someone else out.

I hope the OP sticks around and gets through this time of difficulty.

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 869 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting rant. I guess.

I came here after giving up on the forum run by the other guys, which I found to be an unpleasant place to hang out. I've been here for a couple of years now, and I find it to be, generally, a very hospitable place, with an astonishing amount of knowledge that people are generous in sharing.

I haven't seen any of OP's posts, so I cannot comment on them specifically. But I can infer a bit from what has been said on this thread. And the kind of post that is most likely to become unpleasant for an OP is when OP has a common coin that OP believes, dearly, is valuable, and argues with actual experts who assure him/her/them that the coin is not particularly valuable. Those never end well.

Anyway, if you want to have fun here, learn as much as you can, and don't take yourself so seriously.

• Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 23, 2024 6:36PM

%

• Options
    giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭✭

@Matt97932 . I have bought 4 coin books that has Collectors Universe advertised as the go-to place for real professional help and advice. you are going to treat people why advertise this in the coin books as the go-to place to come

Could you clarify what coin books you purchased and who mentioned to come here?

• Options
    edited June 23, 2024 7:57PM

:p

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file