Post a coin you would never sell for say double what the coin is worth

2»

Comments

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2024 10:33AM

@hummingbird_coins said:

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    I only get offers for half of what I paid for everything. That's why if you want to be a millionaire in the coin business, you have to start with two million $s.

Or maybe you just overpaid for them. ;)

Selling is just like buying….You have to put in the work to succeed. Do NOT sell to the first or most convenient, obnoxious, lowball offer. 😠 Send the better stuff to auction. 👍

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:
    It would be this one. A common date coin in a PCGS 65 holder is no big deal. But, the way the coin presents itself is something quite different. Great strike, for the date, appealing colors with the underlying luster sets this coin off into another level. I have been offered 3 times the book value of this piece.
    I have many coins worth more than this one but this one is very attractive to me.

That is a gorgeous Buff!

imageimage

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 22, 2024 5:55PM

@pursuitofliberty said:
    I think there is always a point at which you have to say, "Someone want's that coin much more than I do, and so maybe it's time for them to be the next caretaker."

I'm not always sure what that point is, but it's always somewhere out there.

True story from this last Winter.

A board member had expressed interest in a Bust Quarter I'd had for about 12 years, after I showed it in a thread. I had recently had it graded by PCGS at that time and was showing off it's TV. A month or so later I had it stickered at CAC, and then I showed it again in a different thread he saw, and he asked again.

After a few back and forth PM's about the coin, the conversation took a turn when I said this;

"It probably does belong with you at some point, so I guess eventually you will make me some silly great offer and it will get in my head and (I will) lose sleep over why I am keeping her from you, and I might even have to accept. It's my only 1815 Bust, and so it helps ease my lack of a 15/2 Half, but alas, no one can own anything forever."

He asked for a video, and a couple days later he made a really strong (maybe even "silly") offer I couldn't get out of my head. And then, I had the difficult task of letting her go ... even though I knew his appreciation was greater than mine. I knew it had to be his, and he was thrilled.

In a fantastic twist, a couple months later, a lovely '15/2 CBH made itself available to me ... a perfect compliment to my set.

Maybe sometimes we do need to pass them forward ... to make room for what's next.

Buy only coins that someone else would covet as much or more than you do.

theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2024 4:08PM

@PillarDollarCollector said:
    I mean even if some one offered you say double what you paid but you know you would be hard pressed to find another.

What I paid is as irrelevant as what a dealer paid when they are buried in a coin. A coin is worth its current FMV, not a multiple or fraction of whatever anyone paid for it at some indeterminate time in the past.

That said, I'd sell anything at double current FMV, if given the opportunity, since I could presumably replace it at FMV. And, if I couldn't, then FMV doesn't represent true current FMV, does it?

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I could find a better red, white and blue coin.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lermish said:

@JonBrand83 said:
    I've learned to never say never, but this one has withstood outrageous offers..

That is absolutely gorgeous. What an amazing coin.

CAC retail is $3900. Highest reported price looks to be $5500. I think this one would fetch more than that. I take that back...I **know **it would sell for more than that.

Can confirm 😉.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options
    JonBrand83JonBrand83 Posts: 463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 25, 2024 10:23PM

5 years ago or so, I paid 2900 as a non cac, NGC 55. Crossed, downgraded and cac now, Much better combo. Ive been offered 5k three times over the years, and I also turned down 7 once.. Its just kind of a keeper! :) I think I could easily sell it for 6-7 but i'm too attached. Even for more then that.

But I know everything usually has its day. Who knows what will end up going to the grave with me. :)

Jbknifeandcoin.com
    IG: jb_rarities

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JonBrand83 said:
    5 years ago or so, I paid 2900 as a non cac, NGC 55. Crossed, downgraded and cac now, Much better combo. Ive been offered 5k three times over the years, and I also turned down 7 once.. Its just kinda of a keeper! :)

But I know everything usually has its day. Who knows what will end up going to the grave with me. :)

There’s a lot to be said financially about downgrading an NGC coin one point into a PCGS holder and getting a sticker.

• Options

I’ve had this 1962 D for a long time and don’t even know the value!

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 26, 2024 9:24PM

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2024 1:02AM

Mine are all "jump coins"
    Meaning...
    The next 1/2 grade up is over double the price.

Hansen or Brush may have started the term???
    Not sure.

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never fall in love with anything that cannot reciprocate. JMHO.

Vplite99
  • Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of my pillar collection.

I don't need the money now and I can't think of anything else I'd rather buy for the same (or anywhere close) money.

This even applies to better duplicates, of which I have many.

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 870 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone can have any coin in my collection for twice its current retail value. Any and every one.

It's conceivable that I could buy a coin that I've looked for for a long time (e.g., an 1861-O half dollar minted by the US, before taken by Louisiana), that would be special enough to me that I wouldn't sell it for "only" 100% premium. But I don't presently have any such coin.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I sold these four, I would sell everything. They are the core of my collection.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file