Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

After the passing of Willie May's, who is the greatest living player now?

Who is the greatest living player now that Willie Mays has passed away?

My vote is Albert Pujols. I know that most will say I am biased, but the impact, 3 MVPs (that should have been at least 5), 2 World Series Championships, and the numbers speak very loud!

There are only two players in history with over 600 home runs, 600 doubles, and 3000 hits.... and both guys actually hit over 700 home runs. Those two players are Hank Aaron and Albert Pujols.

He is 2nd all time in RBIs.

He is 4th all time in HR.

He is 2nd all time in total bases.

He is 9th all time in hits.

He is 1st in hitting a HR off of different pitchers.

I could go on. His WAR is over 101. Even though there are a few living players with more WAR, his playing 1st base and DH hurt him in that category a little more.

What say you?

Shane

Comments

• Options
    georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2024 10:41PM

Michael Jack Schmidt

Grew up in Philadelphia area in 70s, so I am biased.

That said, he led MLB in HRs 8 times with the least benefit from expansion and the largest ballparks in the era post 1950.

Edit - and not for nothing, his fancy stats are right up there, particularly his 162 game averages.

Anecdotally, I recall him hitting a crapload of warning track outs in all of those big multipurpose stadiums. His SF totals are really high compared to most of his contemporaries. I would think that may indicate a high correlation. (In other words, had he played in stadiums from 1950-1968 or 1993 to today, some of those warning track outs would have been homeruns, perhaps 5 to 10 per year.)

• Options
    ElMagoStrikeZoneElMagoStrikeZone Posts: 155 ✭✭✭

Nolan Ryan

Come on people now. Smile on your brothers.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Four people and four answers - thinking there may not be one anymore.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2024 7:28AM

When MLB put out their official list in ‘04 in was Aaron, Bench, Koufax, Mays

Bench and Koufax are only ones left

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bonds Rose Ryan AROD Clemens. These 5 alone are better than 99% of the current HOFers. And in just about all cases it's not even close.

Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2024 7:54AM

If we go by WAR it is easily Bonds. If you want to avoid the for sure PED players it is Henderson. There will be no consensus - Willie was great enough that both the don’t care about PEDs crowd and the sanctity of baseball crowd could agree.

Ohtani will have to recover from surgery and dominate as a pitcher for a decade to have a chance at a consensus.

• Options
    frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2024 9:14AM

As a Pujols proponent I can agree that if you simply go by the numbers it's Barry Bonds and it's not close. However, he is tainted. So is Clemens.

As great as Johnny Bench was there is no way that he was a better all-time great than Albert Pujols. Same amount of championships. Pujols has one more MVP. And the rest of the numbers speak for themselves.

Shane

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pujols, Bonds or Henderson. I wouldn't be mad at either of those.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2024 9:10AM

Koufax, Ryan, and yes Rose and Reggie.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sadaharu Oh.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2024 10:34AM

1) Bonds, 2) Pujols, 3) Clemens, 4) Arod, 5) Maddux, 6) Henderson, 7) Griffey, Jr., 8) Randy Johnson, 9) Ryan, 10) Schmidt.

Juice or not, these are the best living players in order. All of their numbers pre-juice even stand up against the all-time greats. Greenies were prolific in the 70s and 80s. PEDs were prolific in the 90s and 00s. True of the talent they faced as well as a few of them toward the later half of their careers. Regardless, these giants stood apart from everyone else…even the other All-Stars of their eras.

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭

I would tend to answer this question as "who is the greatest living legend," referring to old-timers. Like if we applied eras like they do to comic books, the Bonds, Pujols, Clemens are all modern guys. Who is the greatest silver or bronze-age players left? Like mentioned before, the Rose, Koufax, Bench, Schmidt, Yastrzemski group would be where I point toward. I would probably lean Koufax, but there's an argument for all of these guys.

• Options
    PatriotTradingPatriotTrading Posts: 251 ✭✭✭

@jordangretzkyfan said:
    1) Bonds, 2) Pujols, 3) Clemens, 4) Arod, 5) Maddux, 6) Henderson, 7) Griffey, Jr., 8) Randy Johnson, 9) Ryan, 10) Schmidt.

Juice or not, these are the best living players in order. All of their numbers pre-juice even stand up against the all-time greats. Greenies were prolific in the 70s and 80s. PEDs were prolific in the 90s and 00s. True of the talent they faced as well as a few of them toward the later half of their careers. Regardless, these giants stood apart from everyone else…even the other All-Stars of their eras.

You got all those pitchers ahead of Nolan Ryan and no Koufax?

• Options

Great question and because there's no clear answer (as the responses in this thread demonstrate) it'll be argued about for some time. As great as Bonds was it's hard to say the greatest living player is a guy who never won a ring. And that's not even accounting for the "other" reasons one might exclude him, ARod & Clemens. In addition, I love great pitching but in my mind the greatest living player has to have contributed offensively. Might be odd to some but that's the way I feel. So in light of all that my answer is...Pujols.

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yaz is like Frank Robinson to me. One of the greatest players of all time but his card prices just don't seem to reflect that. So undervalued based on his career but I guess collectors just don't feel enough love for him.

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yaz is clearly the one!

(Kidding, everybody knows my bias).

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭

Bob Uecker, of course!

Proud of my 16x20 autographed and framed collection - all signed in person. Not big on modern - I'm stuck in the past!
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,286 ✭✭✭✭✭

Speaking for myself. If I have to think about it too hard, then there is no choice for me. Would of been an automatic selection without much thought. But I 'm a vintage thinker.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    tod41tod41 Posts: 88 ✭✭✭

Mariano Rivera. Most dominant at his position.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 5,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2024 6:31PM

Pete Rose he is the MLB hit king and has multiple World Series rings. He played hard EVERY game he ever played.

Coin collecting interests: Latin American early pillar 1 reales

Sports: NFL & NHL

Successful Transactions with the following board members: Pruebas & SimonW

• Options
    rbsalezmanrbsalezman Posts: 88 ✭✭✭

Hobby darlings division: Sandy Koufax, Ken Griffey Jr., Johnny Bench, George Brett, Derek Jeter, Nolan Ryan, Reggie Jackson
    Non-steroids division: Mike Schmidt, Ichiro, Rickey Henderson, Albert Pujols, Greg Maddux, Mike Trout, Randy Johnson
    Juiced and banned division: Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Alex Rodriguez, Pete Rose
    Never in a million years division: Harold Baines

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PillarDollarCollector said:
    Pete Rose he is the MLB hit king and has multiple World Series rings. He played hard EVERY game he ever played.

He's a .303 lifetime hitter with no power, lots of guys played just as hard.

The nickname "Charlie Hustle" was not a compliment. Mickey Mantle said about Rose; "If I hit like that, I'd wear a dress."

Using your logic. Paul Krause was the greatest free safety in the history of the NFL.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

In my opinion the greatest player was Griffey Jr., although his career numbers suffered some because of injuries. If PED players are included then it is easily Bonds. I prefer guys who could hit, field and run (at least in their prime).

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2024 8:29PM

It’s funny that the greatest living pitcher hasn’t even been mentioned but Nolan Ryan has been several times.
    Pedro Martinez is the greatest living pitcher and it’s probably not particularly close who is second, Randy Johnson maybe?
    I would actually put Kershaw second, Randy third.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options
    DoogsterDoogster Posts: 18 ✭✭

Nolan or Randy Johnson, I’d say

• Options
    Loyalty32Loyalty32 Posts: 499 ✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2024 7:30AM

Andre Dawson. 100% biased.

• Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 780 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2024 2:17PM

@dealer6871 said:
    Quote redacted

Good moderator work there.

I had to look around to see if there were cameras and to see if John Quiñones was lurking!

• Options

Three way tie; Joe Mauer, Kent Hrbek and Gary Gaetti.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20, 2024 12:50PM

@JoeBanzai said:

The nickname "Charlie Hustle" was not a compliment. Mickey Mantle said about Rose; "If I hit like that, I'd wear a dress."

Using your logic. Paul Krause was the greatest free safety in the history of the NFL.

You are insane! Of course it was a compliment. Pete went all out on every play. Mickey was one of the rare players that was just more gifted than others so he made it look easy. Most players like that cannot understand why other players struggle with certain things that they find easy. MJ was similar, he had a hard time understanding why other players couldn't do certain things as easy he could.

BTW it's easy to rule out longevity but it should be factored in. Rickey would not have the same stats without the extra 5 seasons but he stayed in great shape and added 671 more total bases. Pete added 800 more total bases in his extra 5 seasons because he also stayed in great shape.

I am sorry your Father never recovered from getting run over in the All Star game!

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

I do remember a Rose interview when he said that his greatest athletic gift was a durable body like his father's.

• Options

@Cakes said:

@JoeBanzai said:

You are insane! Of course it was a compliment. Pete went all out on every play. Mickey was one of the rare players that was just more gifted than others so he made it look easy. Most players like that cannot understand why other players struggle with certain things that they find easy. MJ was similar, he had a hard time understanding why other players couldn't do certain things as easy he could.

BTW it's easy to rule out longevity but it should factored in. Rickey would not have the same stats without the extra 5 seasons but he stayed in great shape and added 671 more total bases. Pete added 800 more total bases in his extra 5 seasons because he also stayed in great shape.

I am sorry your Father never recovered from getting run over in the All Star game

>
    >
    >
    Everything I stated was a fact.

Pete is simply the most over rated player in MLB history.

Top 100 player, probably not in the top 50 though.

• Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭

@Cakes said:

@JoeBanzai said:

BTW it's easy to rule out longevity but it should factored in. Rickey would not have the same stats without the extra 5 seasons but he stayed in great shape and added 671 more total bases. Pete added 800 more total bases in his extra 5 seasons because he also stayed in great shape.

I am sorry your Father never recovered from getting run over in the All Star game!

Poor Ray Fosse! I agree 100% with your commentary regarding Rose and Henderson.
    On a side note, about The Mick - I have a taped interview in my archives when he was asked about Jose Canseco's accomplishment of being the first member of the 40-40 club. Mantle laughs and says, "If I knew it was going to be such a big deal, I would have done it every year." He was probably a little tipsy, but I believe him! LOL

Proud of my 16x20 autographed and framed collection - all signed in person. Not big on modern - I'm stuck in the past!
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

ESPN did the top 100 at the end of 1999. It was a well done series and highly recommended if you are a fan of all sports. Their analysis took in the entire impact of the players career on the sport and society.

Willie was 8th on the list. The highest ranked living full time baseball player is Koufax at 42. Pete Rose is next at 56. The rest have passed.

I would probably choose another player that played longer but I could live with Koufax wearing the crown

Mike
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olb31 said:
    Bonds Rose Ryan AROD Clemens. These 5 alone are better than 99% of the current HOFers. And in just about all cases it's not even close.

Agreed, but they will not get the credit they deserve until after most of the current voters have died off.

I was shocked when Ortiz was voted in on his first try! That should breathe some life into their chance to be voted in.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

@ndleo said:
    ESPN did the top 100 at the end of 1999. It was a well done series and highly recommended if you are a fan of all sports. Their analysis took in the entire impact of the players career on the sport and society.

Willie was 8th on the list. The highest ranked living full time baseball player is Koufax at 42. Pete Rose is next at 56. The rest have passed.

I would probably choose another player that played longer but I could live with Koufax wearing the crown

That must have been all sports, not just baseball.

Koufax had 4 great years. He's up there with Rose in the over-rated category.

• Options

@bgr said:
    I do remember a Rose interview when he said that his greatest athletic gift was a durable body like his father's.

I would agree with that.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PatriotTrading said:

@jordangretzkyfan said:

You got all those pitchers ahead of Nolan Ryan and no Koufax?

all three of those pitchers were better than ryan. it probably isnt particularly close either.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@Darin said:
    It’s funny that the greatest living pitcher hasn’t even been mentioned but Nolan Ryan has been several times.
    Pedro Martinez is the greatest living pitcher and it’s probably not particularly close who is second, Randy Johnson maybe?

Pedro was as good as I have ever seen. and I watched his entire red sox career. My issue with having him as the greatest living pitcher is that he didnt sustain for long enough. If memory serves, his duration of dominance was from 1997-2002 or so. For those years, there has never been anyone better. he just burned out to fast.

Give me Roger for greatest living pitcher. nearly as high of a peak, but MUCH more sustained.

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@ndleo said:

people get all bent out of shape about comments like this, but you are correct. Koufax was fantastic. for about 5 years.
    Rose was very good, not great for 15-20 years. both overrated.

• Options

There is only one real answer to this question. It has to be Barry Bonds. In fact, he was probably the correct answer last Thursday as well. Bonds did stuff at the plate only a couple of other guys could do. and both of those guys have been dead for decades.

• Options

I would disagree with Koufax being overrated.

I'm going to side with Hank Aaron and Joe Morgan on that one... When I listen to some of the greatest hitters in MLB history sit around and talk about how dominant Koufax I think that says everything.

I don't have Nolan Ryan in my top 10, but I think his greatness is being overlooked a bit. He played on some pretty mediocre teams for the majority of his career. He was in the midst of his worst year in MLB when his arm finally fell apart... and he just walked off the mound, back to his ranch, and off to Cooperstown. But the guy also had WHIP of like 1.05 for 3 of his last 5 years when he was 40+. His strikeout total is the product of accumulation... sure, but he also led the league in SO/9 half his career. There may never be another Nolan Ryan. Plus I put him up there with Gibson and Pedro as one of the most intimidating pitchers all time.

• Options
    lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@Darin said:

Pedro was as good as I have ever seen. and I watched his entire red sox career. My issue with having him as the greatest living pitcher is that he didnt sustain for long enough. If memory serves, his duration of dominance was from 1997-2002 or so. For those years, there has never been anyone better. he just burned out to fast.

Give me Roger for greatest living pitcher. nearly as high of a peak, but MUCH more sustained.

Except that the people who would put an asterisk for the PEDs would say his sustained performance was aided. His age 30 to 33 years have the appearance of a pitcher whose abilities were starting to taper, but then a renaissance occurs after that. You don't see that with Pedro - he seems to taper off more naturally. Between the two, I would much rather have Pedro pitching in a critical spot, which for me, makes him better than Clemens. That's just me, though.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bonds is disqualified because of PEDs….cheaters should not be recognized because they chose to gain an unfair, illegal advantage. Bonds sucks!

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't want to open up another discussion about Ryan, but > @JoeBanzai said:

@ndleo said:

trout is over rated not rose. bonds and rose records will never be broken. and they surpassed all the 1880's stars with all their bogus stats. cy young threw 70 mph fast balls and holds a lot records because they were playing pick up games.

but koufax is overrated, mattingly = koufax.

Work hard and you will succeed!!