Home U.S. Coin Forum

GTG Kennedy (The plot Thickens)

CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 19, 2024 3:01PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I thought this one might slide by as a 66, plus I had vouchers to burn so I thought why not...

All I can say is good luck on this one.

Comments

• ShurkeShurke Posts: 313 ✭✭✭✭

Might just be the photo, but the obverse looks a little scuffy for a gem grade. 64?

• privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unc details

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Shurke said:
    Might just be the photo, but the obverse looks a little scuffy for a gem grade. 64?

The photos are another story and they definitely look worse than the coin in hand.

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2024 8:38AM

67 :)

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

Not even close :p

• FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:
    I thought this one might slide by as a 66 plus.….

All I can say is good luck on this one.

I give. AU?

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS66.

Very weird angle for a photo. It's going to accentuate and exaggerate every little tick and nick.

Coin Photographer.

@FlyingAl said:
    MS66.

Very weird angle for a photo. It's going to accentuate and exaggerate every little tick and nick.

Couldn't agree more with that statement. I'll shoot better ones once they arrive, especially for the ones that did hit but look like they didn't...

No one is even close yet 😂

• jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭✭✭

• raycycaraycyca Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭

No grade, environmental damage.

You only live life once, enjoy it like it's your last day. It just MIGHT be!

Keep digging!

You got screwed by an SMS.

• ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS64 for me.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS68?

peacockcoins

• FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭✭

My initial guess was going to be 65.
    Then I read “good luck with this one.”
    So my final answer will be UNC Details, environmental damage.

No, it has a real grade just not one you would typically guess for a coin with this appearance.

I mean it’s almost comical but I’m not going to say that they are wrong because they gave 4 others 67 including a 67+.

XF cause no one else has said it. lol
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

@jesbroken said:
    XF cause no one else has said it. lol
    Jim

Lower.

If that's a P01, I want it. lol
    Jim

• john_nyc1john_nyc1 Posts: 65 ✭✭

VF

Casual collector, mostly Morgans & Peace Dollars.

@john_nyc1 said:
    VF

Because I collect moderns I’m really not familiar with these grade level synonyms but I’m pretty sure it’s lower than that one too, lol.

I'm actually going to change mine to MS61. I don't see any wear, but there are significant hits on the devices and fields to result in a 61.

The fact the OP "LOL'ed" my guess I am going to go with MS60?

peacockcoins

@ProofCollection said:
    I'm actually going to change mine to MS61. I don't see any wear, but there are significant hits on the devices and fields to result in a 61.

I could see that scenario but no.
    The coin is straight graded and without a plus.

@braddick said:
    The fact the OP "LOL'ed" my guess I am going to go with MS60?

I’m laughing even harder now, not because you’re wrong but because you’re still not right, lol.

Guesses:
    "Not even close"
    AU
    still not close
    XF
    VF

Using this I think it is probably 62.

Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

OK, ok its VF
    Jim

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

wild guess of F15 (mechanical error that should have been a 65)

@U1chicago said:

Close enough apparently. VG-10 so there must be something seriously wrong. Can you get a gold sticker that cheap?

Here is a 67 from the same sub that I thought couldn't get past 66+ for the large planchet flaws. Go figure! So I assume the strike started the bar a little higher?

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2024 8:43PM

This is exactly the kind of coin that gets over graded the most.

MS 66

It is a very nice coin but not 66.

Tempus fugit.

3 gold stickers wouldn't be enough for this coin. Maybe CAC could make a new platinum sticker just for it.
    Jokes aside, that is the biggest grading error I have ever seen, and might command a hefty premium if there are people who collect that stuff.

@Coinscratch said:

@U1chicago said:

Close enough apparently. VG-10 so there must be something seriously wrong. Can you get a gold sticker that cheap?

Here is a 67 from the same sub that I thought couldn't get past 66+ for the large planchet flaws. Go figure! So I assume the strike started the bar a little higher?

It’s definitely a mechanical error. Someone typed in the wrong grade. CAC does not do moderns, so that’s not an option. Plus I’m not sure that they would sticker a mechanical error even on a coin they normally accept. Now there is a premium for mechanical errors like this and someone would pay up for the oddity (but I don’t think anyone would pay MS 67 prices).

@U1chicago said:

@Coinscratch said:

@U1chicago said:

It’s definitely a mechanical error. Someone typed in the wrong grade. CAC does not do moderns, so that’s not an option. Plus I’m not sure that they would sticker a mechanical error even on a coin they normally accept. Now there is a premium for mechanical errors like this and someone would pay up for the oddity (but I don’t think anyone would pay MS 67 prices).

I see, a human mechanical error. So CACG will slab moderns but still no CAC stickering for moderns? I may need to crack several and send them over if they can take better pics. I had a bad feeling when Mr. Hall left the building a while back.

• ShurkeShurke Posts: 313 ✭✭✭✭

@hummingbird_coins said:
    Jokes aside, that is the biggest grading error I have ever seen, and might command a hefty premium if there are people who collect that stuff.

There was a similarly large mechanical error posted in a fairly recent thread titled something like “When Grading Services Drink.” (I searched but couldn’t find the thread again). Someone in that thread posted a VG-ish coin in an UNC details holder.

edited June 19, 2024 7:36AM

@Coinscratch said:

@U1chicago said:

Wow! A lowball! It is the only one graded less than a 55 at PCGS! :+1::+1::+1:

Does the holder itself say VG10 or do you even have it back yet?

I'm curious what the "Quality Check" portion of the grading process is for? It seems they miss a lot obvious problems.

@CRHer700 said:
    Does the holder itself say VG10 or do you even have it back yet?

Expecting today via Fed Ex but the cert number shows the grade so I imagine it is.

@Coinscratch said:

@U1chicago said:

@Coinscratch said:

@U1chicago said:

I see, a human mechanical error. So CACG will slab moderns but still no CAC stickering for moderns? I may need to crack several and send them over if they can take better pics. I had a bad feeling when Mr. Hall left the building a while back.

CAC stickering has not done moderns and does not appear to want to go that route. But the grading service does do moderns (and they probably have to in order to keep the revenue flowing).

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

What’s the point of a
    GTG thread for a coin that’s an obvious mechanical error?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

@MFeld said:
    What’s the point of a

It wasn't obvious to me, I just assumed they had assigned the correct grade that they thought it was. Like I said earlier in the thread they graded several others that I'm very happy with. However, the point could have been to see what others thought and apparently it is a typo or mechanical error.

edited June 19, 2024 10:40AM

@MFeld said:
    What’s the point of a

We had fun, it made me think. It’s good, Le Roi.

Edit: much better than the usual whine about mislabeling.

@MFeld said:
    What’s the point of a

Hey, I received two 'LOLs' both from the OP for guessing MS68 and then guessing MS60, so there is that.
    :)

peacockcoins

The Sun King :D
    So it's worth more as a VG-10 than it would be as a MS66. I'll take that as a win and start the auction at .99 cents. Afterall the Price Guide is $1.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file