Home U.S. Coin Forum

GTG Kennedy (The plot Thickens)

2»

Comments

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,511 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

@MFeld said:
    What’s the point of a
    GTG thread for a coin that’s an obvious mechanical error?

Hey, I received two 'LOLs' both from the OP for guessing MS68 and then guessing MS60, so there is that.
    :)

Just let me know if you want it. I know you collect oddities as well.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:

@braddick said:

@MFeld said:
    What’s the point of a

Hey, I received two 'LOLs' both from the OP for guessing MS68 and then guessing MS60, so there is that.
    :)

Just let me know if you want it. I know you collect oddities as well.

I do.
    That is a neat Kennedy to own.
    PM sent...

peacockcoins

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great post Cs. Probably one of the more enjoyable ones. No time wasted here.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Well, I just got a good chuckle. The coins arrived including the one in question and look what Santa brought me :D
    (paperwork says VG-10 - Label says MS67)

Sorry @braddick price just jumped 10 fold if you still want it.

And I says they still need a new photographer or three.

@CRHer700 said:
    67 :)

Congratulations Sir! Your foresight is impeccable :)

• CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2024 7:18PM

@Coinscratch said:

@CRHer700 said:
    67 :)

Congratulations Sir! Your foresight is impeccable :)

Thank you. I can hardly believe that I got it right! I'm sure this is a fun one to own because of the slab error and the grade.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.
    Dubbed a "Committee Secret Agent" by @mr1931S on 7/23/24

• ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 19, 2024 8:10PM

@Coinscratch said:

@MFeld said:
    What’s the point of a

It wasn't obvious to me, I just assumed they had assigned the correct grade that they thought it was. Like I said earlier in the thread they graded several others that I'm very happy with. However, the point could have been to see what others thought and apparently it is a typo or mechanical error.

Not to be an insult, but if you can't distinguish VF from AU or even MS then you might want to study up a little on grading.

82-D is a tough date for halves but 67 is very generous for a shield/eagle with 2 significant marks and a Kennedy profile with 3 or 4 significant marks, a dinged up nose, and one significant mark in the field along with many smaller nicks and marks.

Edited to add: If you ask PCGS to fix the coin registration, they are likely to have you send it back at which point I believe they would regrade it.

@Coinscratch said:

And I says they still need a new photographer or three.

Only one would be great. I kind of dread my new submissions' photos. Luckily, they are still a month or so for one and 2 or so for the other and a single getting ready to send.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
    edited June 19, 2024 8:36PM

@ProofCollection said:

@Coinscratch said:

@MFeld said:
    What’s the point of a

It wasn't obvious to me, I just assumed they had assigned the correct grade that they thought it was. Like I said earlier in the thread they graded several others that I'm very happy with. However, the point could have been to see what others thought and apparently it is a typo or mechanical error.

Not to be an insult, but if you can't distinguish VF from AU or even MS then you might want to study up a little on grading.

82-D is a tough date for halves but 67 is very generous for a shield/eagle with 2 significant marks and a Kennedy profile with 3 or 4 significant marks, a dinged up nose, and one significant mark in the field along with many smaller nicks and marks.

Edited to add: If you ask PCGS to fix the coin registration, they are likely to have you send it back at which point I believe they would regrade it.

None taken as I agree that I need to learn more about grades other than MS. But you’re saying they need to as well? I would say strike, original skin, color, luster, the Halo, and overall eye appeal went into their final decision.

Edit.Of course you cannot see any of that from the TV.

Why would they have me send it back if the label is correct?

@ProofCollection said:
    MS64 for me

Maybe you need a class too :D

• hummingbird_coinshummingbird_coins Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ProofCollection said:

Don't forget the spotting below and to the right of the eagle.

Young Numismatist • My Toned Coins
    Life is roadblocks. Don't let nothing stop you, 'cause we ain't stopping. - DJ Khaled

@Coinscratch said:

@ProofCollection said:
    MS64 for me

Maybe you need a class too :D

I would love to take one and hear why this one got the grade it did. I have an almost complete collection of these and have submitted dozens for grading each year as they are issued and I thought I could tell. Obv there are limitations to grading from a photo but in my submission experience, if the coin isn't near-perfect you aren't getting a 67. Usually 67's have clean shields, faces, and very minimal (and only very light) marks in the fields. From the photo I can't tell that there's anything special about the color.

Maybe this will help. This is the P coin from the same souvenir set. I had it graded April last year so a truer TV with similiar colors.

It graded 66+ and has pretty deep hits on the cheek. And yes the reason I didn’t send the op coin with it was the one big hit above igwt. Which is also why I thought it would only go 66 at best.

So here are my 82-P & D, both in MS66. I can't take the same quality of photos. Mine appear to have a lot more light marks with no real heavy marks. Maybe I should go for a + on a regrade and to get a TV?

@ProofCollection You might get the upgrade but I wouldn’t expect much from a TV right now. Mine are down right embarrassing. I’m a complete amateur and still take better pics than the knucklehead they have right now.
    Poor guy must be overworked and underpaid.

This is the 67 you speak of and the one I’ll keep for my set and pretty sure it’ll cross should I decide.

• TrickleChargeTrickleCharge Posts: 174 ✭✭✭

Obvious mechanical error. Should be MS65 not MS67. These things happen ;)

My regrade sub results are back and the coins remain MS66. Now that I have the TVs I can see that my halves are baggier than the examples above and deserve their 66 grade.

@ProofCollection said:
    So here are my 82-P & D, both in MS66. I can't take the same quality of photos. Mine appear to have a lot more light marks with no real heavy marks. Maybe I should go for a + on a regrade and to get a TV?

Try pointing the light away from the subject that usually works better for me. Even so, this one is easier to shoot. Btw, let me know if you're looking for a specific year on these as I have some dupes and more coming.

@Coinscratch said:

@ProofCollection said:

Try pointing the light away from the subject that usually works better for me. Even so, this one is easier to shoot. Btw, let me know if you're looking for a specific year on these as I have some dupes and more coming.

Thanks, I'm probably good. The 67's are a bit out of my desired price range. My only hope would be to find myself an undergraded MS66.

@ProofCollection said:

@Coinscratch said:

@ProofCollection said:

Thanks, I'm probably good. The 67's are a bit out of my desired price range. My only hope would be to find myself an undergraded MS66.

I was talking to any particular year not just 82 but I will sell you this one at half price. It was recently graded 67 although you wouldn’t believe it by looking at the truview. And it has a reddish purple tone when tilted in the light, hard to capture I'll follow with some cell pics that show the toning.

DM sent

• MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 11, 2024 2:04PM

I took one look at this coin and knew immediately it was either VG10 or MS67. Looks like PCGS agreed.

image Respectfully, Mark

Does Braddick still get the coin for $2? :D
    Jim

@jesbroken said:
    Does Braddick still get the coin for $2? :D
    Jim

I wouldn’t rule it out completely anything is possible at this point.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file