Not much Aaron Judge talk!

13»

Comments

• bgrbgr Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:

@bgr said:

@Basebal21 said:

@bgr said:
    He would have received a 9% advantage in his at bats at petco in 2009. At bats at coors were the furthest adjusted; down by 11%.

I’m not sure your data is right though because according to statcast right hand batters required an 11% adjustment up to the league mean.

Normalized stats really do take the parks into consideration though because they are specific to the performance of all players in that stadium. Gonzalez would have been hurting other players when he played on the road - assuming he was mashing there.

Anyways. Just to put this one through the hoop. If you include their walks in total bases Judge gets 35 more to reach 284 and surpass Ohtani by your latest metric, and your numbers. However I couldn’t make total sense of your math so I checked statmuse and it has Judge leading MlB with 322 total bases and Ohtani 3rd behind Witt with 301.

But sure. Ohtani is the best ever. Go dodgers. Meh

Othani has 68 walks 270 and 68 doesnt equal lower than 301

If you dont understand hitter total bases that dont depend on the team well

That needs to be understood before the rest an be talked about

I’m not sure what your numbers are being derived from. I can look up total bases multiple places. I just said statmuse had Judge at 332 and Ohtani at 301. It’s hard for me to derive your special “hitter total bases” equation. Why don’t you just share it. Perhaps it will change how everyone looks at baseball.

Single = 1 base
    Stolen base =1 base
    Walk=1 base
    Double =2 bases
    Triple=3 bases
    Homerun=4 bases

That shouldnt be hard math

I get 339 for Ohtani
    I get 423 for Judge

Ohtani has 69 singles (69), 29 doubles (58), 6 triples (18), 39 home runs (156), and 38 stolen bases (38). Maybec I should subtract the 4 CS but whatever.

69+58+18+156+38=339

I did it the same for Judge. Total bases on statmuse are the same minus the stolen bases.

I agree that it shouldn’t be tough. I just did it in my head.

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭✭

@bgr said:

@Basebal21 said:

@bgr said:

@Basebal21 said:

@bgr said:
    He would have received a 9% advantage in his at bats at petco in 2009. At bats at coors were the furthest adjusted; down by 11%.

I’m not sure your data is right though because according to statcast right hand batters required an 11% adjustment up to the league mean.

Normalized stats really do take the parks into consideration though because they are specific to the performance of all players in that stadium. Gonzalez would have been hurting other players when he played on the road - assuming he was mashing there.

Anyways. Just to put this one through the hoop. If you include their walks in total bases Judge gets 35 more to reach 284 and surpass Ohtani by your latest metric, and your numbers. However I couldn’t make total sense of your math so I checked statmuse and it has Judge leading MlB with 322 total bases and Ohtani 3rd behind Witt with 301.

I’m not sure what your numbers are being derived from. I can look up total bases multiple places. I just said statmuse had Judge at 332 and Ohtani at 301. It’s hard for me to derive your special “hitter total bases” equation. Why don’t you just share it. Perhaps it will change how everyone looks at baseball.

Single = 1 base
    Stolen base =1 base
    Walk=1 base
    Double =2 bases
    Triple=3 bases
    Homerun=4 bases

I get 339 for Ohtani
    I get 423 for Judge

Ohtani has 69 singles (69), 29 doubles (58), 6 triples (18), 39 home runs (156), and 38 stolen bases (38). Maybec I should subtract the 4 CS but whatever.

69+58+18+156+38=339

I did it the same for Judge. Total bases on statmuse are the same minus the stolen bases.

Remove walks since you said lineups dont matter which walks get in the conversation of walks with Stanton on deck and Soto in front

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Basebal21 said:

@bgr said:

@Basebal21 said:

@bgr said:

@Basebal21 said:

@bgr said:

Single = 1 base
    Stolen base =1 base
    Walk=1 base
    Double =2 bases
    Triple=3 bases
    Homerun=4 bases

I get 339 for Ohtani
    I get 423 for Judge

69+58+18+156+38=339

Remove walks since you said lineups dont matter which walks get in the conversation of walks with Stanton on deck and Soto in front

That’s a bit contrived. Not sure what I said about lineups not mattering.

Please just accept that I think Judge is outpacing Ohtani. You won’t convince me of your view because I don’t value your thought in the least.

@bgr said:

@Basebal21 said:

@bgr said:

@Basebal21 said:

@bgr said:

@Basebal21 said:

@bgr said:

Single = 1 base
    Stolen base =1 base
    Walk=1 base
    Double =2 bases
    Triple=3 bases
    Homerun=4 bases

I get 339 for Ohtani
    I get 423 for Judge

69+58+18+156+38=339

Please just accept that I think Judge is outpacing Ohtani. You won’t convince me of your view because I don’t value your thought in the least.

I do appreciate you admitting nothing I say will change what you say

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

2 more dingers for Judge last night. now on pace for 60. I love Ohtani, but Judge is outdoing him this season. It will be a different story next season when Ohtani is back on the mound though

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like how bb21 gives his own special total bases formula, bgr adds them up for both players, Judge is way ahead so then bb21 makes an amendment….. Judge has too many walks so let’s just don’t count them.

@Basebal21 said:

@bgr said:

@Basebal21 said:

@bgr said:

@Basebal21 said:

@bgr said:

Single = 1 base
    Stolen base =1 base
    Walk=1 base
    Double =2 bases
    Triple=3 bases
    Homerun=4 bases

I get 339 for Ohtani
    I get 423 for Judge

69+58+18+156+38=339

Thanks for putting it so clearly! 🤔

@Basebal21 said:

@bgr said:

@Basebal21 said:

@bgr said:

@Basebal21 said:

@bgr said:

@Basebal21 said:

@bgr said:

Single = 1 base
    Stolen base =1 base
    Walk=1 base
    Double =2 bases
    Triple=3 bases
    Homerun=4 bases

I get 339 for Ohtani
    I get 423 for Judge

69+58+18+156+38=339

Manipulating the numbers like this, in a seemingly arbitrary way, just doesn’t sit well with me or make much sense. At that point I’m only really hearing that you think Ohtani is better, which is FINE. I have no issue with that, but I do suspect that very few people would crawl out on that limb with you.

Personally, I don’t think you’ve even made a compelling argument that Ohtani is in the conversation with Judge. I still think he is but the more you’ve forced me to reevaluate the statistics and consider more and more situational variables…. Well. I’m agreeing with those who think the gap is bigger than I previously thought. For that, i appreciate this discussion, but every one of your comments should have a ‘check this on Google’ tag on in. I am starting to think you just say “something crazy” and then figure out if you can argue it into reality. GLWT

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 22, 2024 10:41AM

@Darin said:
    I like how bb21 gives his own special total bases formula, bgr adds them up for both players, Judge is way ahead so then bb21 makes an amendment….. Judge has too many walks so let’s just don’t countto them.

I don't have a side that I'm rooting for but I thought that was epic on the hilarious scale

I hope they continue, it's very enjoyable to read lol

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    2 more dingers for Judge last night. now on pace for 60. I love Ohtani, but Judge is outdoing him this season. It will be a different story next season when Ohtani is back on the mound though

Which would you prefer though 60 + HR's or a 50/50 guy?

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:

@bgr said:

@Basebal21 said:

@bgr said:

@Basebal21 said:

@bgr said:

@Basebal21 said:

@bgr said:

Single = 1 base
    Stolen base =1 base
    Walk=1 base
    Double =2 bases
    Triple=3 bases
    Homerun=4 bases

I get 339 for Ohtani
    I get 423 for Judge

69+58+18+156+38=339

Just curious, how often have you ever changed your viewpoint because of conflicting evidence/opinion?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@perkdog said:

@Darin said:
    I like how bb21 gives his own special total bases formula, bgr adds them up for both players, Judge is way ahead so then bb21 makes an amendment….. Judge has too many walks so let’s just don’t countto them.

I don't have a side that I'm rooting for but I thought that was epic on the hilarious scale

I hope they continue, it's very enjoyable to read lol

I don't know who I'm rooting for either. If I could have my statements not be misrepresented so ridiculously I don't think I would have any issue with his comments. I think the silly knowledge bombs, both true and false, are fun.

Judge already with another homer today. I just hope they beat Cleveland again today.

The only thing I don’t like with Judge being so hot is his batting avg. keeps climbing. Hoping Witt wins the batting title and he’s been hanging around .349-.352 and Judge is getting close now at .335 🫣

Judge is on pace for 61 home runs and 150 RBI’s 🥳

@JoeBanzai said:
    Just curious, how often have you ever changed your viewpoint because of conflicting evidence/opinion?

All the time its how I and others should learn from multiple sources. Theres a lot someone can learn even if they never played the game from players podcasts and things of that nature where the specifics of things are discussed . Some people just want to argue with me no matter what and some even use alts its nothing new.

I hated and still hate the Padres trade for Preller and still think Preller is a bad GM but as much as I hate it I have to give him a pass on the Soto trade. When it came out the majority owner at the time had cancer for like the 4th time it made sense trying to win a WS while he was still alive. Its still a terrible trade but it makes sense and had I known that at the time I would have given him a pass on it. Now that I know that I still dont like the trade, but understand it and its a shame it didnt work since he was a really good owner.

I have worked in professional baseball as everything from a player, to a scout, to a coach. Yes I do know some inside stuff that doesnt get found in an algorithm or on MLB TV but that never goes over well when I bring it up. I stand by that Othanis 40/40 is more impressive than Judges 49 Hrs especially since MLB wants someone to break Bonds single season record. They dont want him at the top but no one is close enough for his all time record

If someone values Judges more thats fine. Its okay to have debates and differing opinions without people getting upset by it, it should be anyways

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

All the time its how I and others should learn from multiple sources. Theres a lot someone can learn even if they never played the game from players podcasts and things of that nature where the specifics of things are discussed . Some people just want to argue with me no matter what and some even use alts its nothing new.

I hated and still hate the Padres trade for Preller and still think Preller is a bad GM but as much as I hate it I have to give him a pass on the Soto trade. When it came out the majority owner at the time had cancer for like the 4th time it made sense trying to win a WS while he was still alive. Its still a terrible trade but it makes sense and had I known that at the time I would have given him a pass on it. Now that I know that I still dont like the trade, but understand it and its a shame it didnt work since he was a really good owner.

I have worked in professional baseball as everything from a player, to a scout, to a coach. Yes I do know some inside stuff that doesnt get found in an algorithm or on MLB TV but that never goes over well when I bring it up. I stand by that Othanis 40/40 is more impressive than Judges 49 Hrs especially since MLB wants someone to break Bonds single season record. They dont want him at the top but no one is close enough for his all time record

If someone values Judges more thats fine. Its okay to have debates and differing opinions without people getting upset by it, it should be anyways

Wasnt there a rumor back in 2022 that during the last month when judge was going for 60 that they gave him "special" balls? As in wound tighter so they travel further. It seems i remember something like that at the time

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

@craig44 said:

@Basebal21 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Wasnt there a rumor back in 2022 that during the last month when judge was going for 60 that they gave him "special" balls? As in wound tighter so they travel further. It seems i remember something like that at the time

Yea Judge and Pujols both had special balls only for their at bats for a couple weeks to end the season when Judge got above 50 and Pujols was approaching 700 career. I would assume the special ones will come about again if Judge hits a couple more homeruns. Hopefully they give Othani the same treatment to level the playing field but would personally prefer that every players gets the same balls

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Basebal21 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

I guess I should have said here, on these boards.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set

@JoeBanzai said:

@Basebal21 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

I guess I should have said here, on these boards.

I get my information from multiple sources and draw conclusions from that. The whole point is to have discussions and debates its nothing personal for me at least. Sometimes its just a difference of opinion on things and play out. That just shouldnt be a reason for people to get upset or as one poster already admitted try and argue every single thing someone posts. Discussions and debates require more than one person and for more than one person to not just being going after someone else

Missouri 14 OSU 3

So.........never.