Home Sports Talk

Not much Aaron Judge talk!

DarinDarin Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

What he’s doing so far this season is phenomenal. I think as long as he doesn’t get injured he’s the mvp although there’s a long way to go. I think we all agree Gunnar is having a spectacular season so far but look how he compares to Judge. 🤔

Comments

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Judge is an absolute monster when healthy. I agree, he is MVP at this point.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• 1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

Judge is playing in a different stratosphere right now. I was just about to post something similar.

Surprisingly, he has played 430 innings in centerfield too and has played in every game excpet one. Hopefully he stays healthy!

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope he stays healthy too.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • bgrbgr Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭✭

Those numbers are impressive. Even more so considering his rather slow start to the season.

Think he will get to 60 again?

• ElMagoStrikeZoneElMagoStrikeZone Posts: 322 ✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    I hope he stays healthy too.

He's safe for now. His big toe probably won't visit Dodger Stadium until late October.

My Dad can beat up your Dad.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

I hope so but I wish he wouldn’t hit any more the next 2 games against the Royals. 😫

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bgr said:
    Those numbers are impressive. Even more so considering his rather slow start to the season.

That's what I was going to post but you beat me to it

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

If he stays healthy probably. And MLB will probably give him special balls again when he gets close which is insanely sketchy

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

If he stays healthy probably. And MLB will probably give him special balls again when he gets close which is insanely sketchy

What are you talking about?

Never heard this, what's the deal?

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

When Judge was chasing the 60 hr year and Pujols was chasing 700 for about a month or so every at bat they had special balls were swapped in and out for their at bats. The rationale for it was the special invisible markings for authenticating the balls which makes sense

The problem is that the balls had a higher percentage of juiced balls from evidence that people have presented examining them. Players have long accused the league of messing with the balls where a ball will go further on a nationally televised game than a Wednesday noon game.

Theres always some variance of the manufacturing with some of the balls being dead and some being juiced but with exit velo and launch angle being tracked so much now its getting harder for the league to hide when major discrepancies happen or when fans let astrophysicists look at the foul balls and study them.

Its sketchy at best but the signs point to them being more hitter friendly balls than everyone else was getting

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@craig44 said:

When Judge was chasing the 60 hr year and Pujols was chasing 700 for about a month or so every at bat they had special balls were swapped in and out for their at bats. The rationale for it was the special invisible markings for authenticating the balls which makes sense

The problem is that the balls had a higher percentage of juiced balls from evidence that people have presented examining them. Players have long accused the league of messing with the balls where a ball will go further on a nationally televised game than a Wednesday noon game.

Theres always some variance of the manufacturing with some of the balls being dead and some being juiced but with exit velo and launch angle being tracked so much now its getting harder for the league to hide when major discrepancies happen or when fans let astrophysicists look at the foul balls and study them.

Its sketchy at best but the signs point to them being more hitter friendly balls than everyone else was getting

Interesting, thank you

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is impressive, if true, logistically.

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

The man is a joy to watch on a daily basis.

Daniel

the juiced ball thing was talked about during Judges run up to 60.

edited July 24, 2024 8:24PM

Just checking in on this thread I started. Yes, Judge is having a great year. Leading the AL in pretty much all the power hitting categories. The dude is a monster, he collects extra base hits like I collect baseball cards.

Oh, there is one thing before I go. As of tonight Little Bobby Witt Jr. is leading the Mighty Aaron Judge in total bases 243 to 242.
    They’re both on pace for around 380 total bases and if you’re not that familiar with what constitutes a high number, 400 total bases has been achieved only 29 times in the history of mlb.
    I know what you’re thinking, Judge could hit 3 dingers tomorrow and shoot past Bobby. That’s why I’m posting tonight, I’m nothing if not timely.
    BTW Ohtani has 246 Total bases not including tonight’s late Dodger game.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭✭✭

You know, I'm not sure that I should be impressed. Jim Rice had 406 total bases in 1978, and we all have learned from the experts here that he sucked! 😉

On a side note, I'm saddened that Trouty seems to have had another setback on the recovery from injury. Even after the long layoff, his bat was still game ready, but the knee just won't cooperate.

Count, I saw that Trout news earlier.
    He might as well retire if he can’t even get through a minor league rehab game.
    Meanwhile Witt is now 16-23 for a .696 batting avg. after the all star break and is starting to enter MVP conversations.

• MistlinMistlin Posts: 293 ✭✭✭

Aaron Judge leads all of baseball in WAR and is crushing Witt in OPS - 1.106 to .983, all with Witt going on a huge post-all star break run, Judge is still eating his lunch. Witt will force a trade to a team that knows how to get him coverage soon. KC is a joke.

Unless Judge falls off a cliff, he's the runaway MVP leader.

I do not have time for ignorant trolls.
    ignore list: 1948_Swell_Robinson, Darin, bgr, bronco2078, dallasactuary

• tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭

Evert Yankee fan holds their breath that Judge does not trip over his own feet and the rest of baseball hope he does. It will not matter as the Yankees have to beat the Orioles or the Dodgers to win the World Series this year and it is not going to happen.

@Mistlin said:
    Aaron Judge leads all of baseball in WAR and is crushing Witt in OPS - 1.106 to .983, all with Witt going on a huge post-all star break run, Judge is still eating his lunch. Witt will force a trade to a team that knows how to get him coverage soon. KC is a joke.

Unless Judge falls off a cliff, he's the runaway MVP leader.

Could you please do a little research on a player before making such ignorant comments? First of all Witt loves playing for KC and signed a multi year contract. Second, he’s hitting .414 at KC this year.
    So yeah, I’m sure all he has on his mind is forcing a trade.😂😂
    And quit pretending you have me on ignore. You read my post mentioning mvp talk and I was the only one who did mention it.

Either he wins MVP or he falls off a cliff - place your bets... place your bets...

This is how explosive Judge is. In a couple games he’s pulled ahead of Witt by 8 bases. And yes I agree with mistlin at this point he’s the runaway winner of AL MVP. And Juan Soto might be second. I’m just glad Judge has stayed injury free this year. I don’t like when the superstars miss time (Acuna, Betts etc.) I like seeing amazing numbers racked up. I like the stats. 🥳

I don’t think there’s much doubt now, as far as just hitting, Ohtani can’t hang with Judge.
    Remember I said just hitting. 😉

Othani is a lefty hitting, if he was on the Yankees his numbers would be astronomical

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Basebal21 said:
    Othani is a lefty hitting, if he was on the Yankees his numbers would be astronomical

What’s with the if?
    okay if Judge was on the Dodgers his numbers would be more astronomical than Ohtani’s are.
    I’m saying Judge is better than Ohtani, simple as that.
    The numbers prove it, there are no ifs’ in the numbers.

Before this season, Judge’s career OBP was below .400, his career slugging percentage was below .600, and his career OPS was below 1.000

As of today when you compute this season’s numbers, he is now above all of those numbers for his career.

@Darin said:

@Basebal21 said:

What’s with the if?
    okay if Judge was on the Dodgers his numbers would be more astronomical than Ohtani’s are.

The If is where the balls hit would land in different parks. Judge is having a great season no doubt, but warning track balls at Dodger stadium are homruns in Yankee stadium. Jazz Chisholm is a great example where he would have 13 more homeruns if he was with the Yankees all year (before getting hurt) than playing in Miami.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

edited August 16, 2024 9:17AM

@Darin said:

@Basebal21 said:

What’s with the if?

Judge is better. It isn't even a discussion at this point unless one is very bias.

This year Judge has 19 home runs at home and 24 on the road.

For Judge's career he has 151 at home and 149 on the road.

Yankee stadium is still harder for RH hitters than for LH.

So while it may give some HR it does take some in the deep LF for Judge...as you can see he does just the same on the road for HR.

While Chisholm is a lefty and might benefit more than Judge, he has three home runs at Yankee stadium this year.. Is someone really hanging their hat on that number, and then also using it from a left handed hitter and trying to impune Judge? lol.

That would be like saying the ball is juiced after scoring was up the first two days in MLB...oh wait that happened too.

Ohtani has 20 at home and 17 on the road. Ohtani might benefit at Yankee stadium more because he is a lefty, but Judge isn't really benefitting from that. So it is moot.

Judge currently has a 224 OPS+(which already factors in any of those park benefits that don't really affect him because he does just as good on the road).

Judge is the only batter in a full season in the last 20 years to have an OPS+ over 200, and he will do it again this year barring some major collapse.

That is impressive and should be talked about more. And he is playing CF to boot.

He is also the fastest player in history to 300 home runs, getting there in 132 games less than the next fastest.

Don’t back down Basebal21. You got this.

OPS+ isnt perfect and we dont need algorithms when we can simply put an overlay of where balls were caught or landed and transfer them to the parks.

If you simply put an overlay of where Otanis balls land and Judges Othani is right there with him if not passing him. Dodger stadium is obviously harder to hit in than Yankee stadium. Then for the road Judge gets to spend most of those games in Boston which is very lefty friendly, Baltimore which is a hitters park most days, Toronto and Tampa which are domes.

Othani on the road spends most games in SF, SF, Colorado and Arizona. SD and SF are the two worst parks in the league for left handed hitters

All Im saying is that if Othani was a Yankee he would be better than Judge would be as a Dodger

Missouri 14 OSU 3

edited August 16, 2024 4:46PM

@Basebal21 said:
    OPS+ isnt perfect and we dont need algorithms when we can simply put an overlay of where balls were caught or landed and transfer them to the parks.

If you simply put an overlay of where Otanis balls land and Judges Othani is right there with him if not passing him. Dodger stadium is obviously harder to hit in than Yankee stadium. Then for the road Judge gets to spend most of those games in Boston which is very lefty friendly, Baltimore which is a hitters park most days, Toronto and Tampa which are domes.

Othani on the road spends most games in SF, SF, Colorado and Arizona. SD and SF are the two worst parks in the league for left handed hitters

All Im saying is that if Othani was a Yankee he would be better than Judge would be as a Dodger

Ohtani's non home run fly balls as seen below in his spray chart...he has maybe one, if hit in Yankee stadium right field, that would turn into a home run. He actually has more non home run fly balls to deep left center where Yankee stadium is bigger than Dodger stadium by a good amount. So good try.

Ohtanis loses about eight home runs in Yankee Stadium according to his actual home runs hit in deep left center and center.

Below is Aaron Judge's home run chart. He has one or two home runs that might not be home runs in a park short at that spot(THE ONE CLOSES TTO 314 IN RIGHT FIELD LINE AND THE ONE CLOSEST TO 318 LEFT FIELD LINE).

All his other home runs are home runs in Yellowstone(to steal a partial quote). So again, good try. Judge doesn't need Yankee stadium and look how far those home runs are.

Notice that bundle of red in RIGHT CENTER the number isn't visible well but that is 385 underneath it. 385 is bigger at that spot than Dodger Stadium where it is 375....and always has good weather ;)

Also notice that Judge has several doubles in deep center or left center that are home runs in most parks. So he certainly has lost some home runs. Also several in deep right center that are home runs in most park that are less than 385.

Dodger stadium is only 375 in right center and and left center and only 395 in CF.
    Yankee stadium is 385 in right center and 399 in left center and 409 iin CF

So nice try.

Judge is having one of the best seasons ever.

But Judge would be better than Ohtani if both were in the same lineup?

I agree. Judge is a better hitter but it’s Ohtani is great too. I agree with those who give Judge the edge.

@bgr said:

I agree. Judge is a better hitter but it’s Ohtani is great too. I agree with those who give Judge the edge.

You mean the Yankees two man lineup where Judge has no protection?

Or that Ohtani has Freeman batting behind him and Betts in front of him?

Edge? OPS+ 224 vs 178 isn't an edge. It is a canyon. Add that Judge is playing CF and Ohtani DH. Come on.

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:

@bgr said:

Edge? OPS+ 224 vs 178 isn't an edge. It is a canyon. Add that Judge is playing CF and Ohtani DH. Come on.

Come on? Where are we going?

Let me make my statement more clear.

I personally don’t think that there is a huge gap in hitting skill between Ohtani and Judge. I do think Judge is the better hitter.

I think ohtani has just as much, if not more with Betts back, protection in his lineup as judge. You misunderstood that comment. I was not speaking to who they are hitting ahead of. I was positioning them in the same place in the same lineup to remove that variable.

I agree with those who give judge the edge. You can assume what that means or you can ask. I’m not really interested in provoking anyone with hypotheticals.

@bgr said:

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:

@bgr said:

Come on? Where are we going?

Let me make my statement more clear.

I personally don’t think that there is a huge gap in hitting skill between Ohtani and Judge. I do think Judge is the better hitter.

I think ohtani has just as much, if not more with Betts back, protection in his lineup as judge. You misunderstood that comment. I was not speaking to who they are hitting ahead of. I was positioning them in the same place in the same lineup to remove that variable.

I agree with those who give judge the edge. You can assume what that means or you can ask. I’m not really interested in provoking anyone with hypotheticals.

Yes, you didn't really make clear what you meant. Unfortunately nobody will ever be in exact same lineup.

As for assuming, I'm not really assuming anything. 224 to 178 is pretty straightforward, whatever adjective you want to use to describe the lead.

The main thing was dispelling the ridiculous notions put forth by the other poster.

Basebal21… 48swellrobinson basically just said checkmate. 😂

Nice try though but you’re toast on this one.

I'm aware of the generic spray chart and that site it came from. Now do it for every road game and transfer Boston to SD, or SF etc.

Othani bats leadoff, Betts hits second and Freeman 3rd. Judge bats 3rd with Soto in front of him and Stanton hitting fourth. Thats hardly no protection

Missouri 14 OSU 3

OPS+ is supposed to take the different parks into consideration already. I’m not clear on what you are suggesting with respect to considering other parks and transferring parks to other parks.

I would say that Ohtani has more protection in his lineup. You would think that with the wrist injury betts wouldn’t be slugging so much but he’s right around 0.900 which is his career average. FF is right there as well and both of those guys are usually behind Ohtani in the order. In NY Soto is 100 points over his career average hitting in front of Judge. Stanton isn’t hitting at the same level as Betts or Freeman. And after him who hits? Vertigo or Wells? Stanton doesn’t always hit cleanup either, including when he’s in the lineup. So obviously everyone has someone hitting after them… so there’s never no protection, but Judge has guys at or just above league average. League average overall — below league average for your four-hole basher usually.

OPS+ dpes a decent job. but its not perfect and none of them are. None can account for going into SD or SF as a lefty or getting excited to go into NY where you know its a hitters park.

Betts has played 4 games since June.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:
    I'm aware of the generic spray chart and that site it came from. Now do it for every road game and transfer Boston to SD, or SF etc.

Othani bats leadoff, Betts hits second and Freeman 3rd. Judge bats 3rd with Soto in front of him and Stanton hitting fourth. Thats hardly no protection

Lol, so you are now bias and blind? The chart is crystal clear. The reality is crystal clear....and you are just flat out wrong.
    Just own it instead of creating more ridiculous arguments.

You could have just said, 'Damn, I didn't realize judge was hitting consistent monster shots." Or, "I didn't realize Yankee stadium was that big in deep left center, center, and Right center, where Judge has actually lost home runs."

Just own it like you got owned.

BTW Ohtnai has 312 plate appearances batting second...the most in any spot.

@Basebal21

League leaders in "No Doubters" which are home runs in all 30 parks.

Judge 26
    Ohtani 25
    Soto 21
    Rooker 20
    Ozuna 18
    Santender 17

So there you go. Lay Judge's home runs over every park in MLB and he still hits the more home runs than anyone. Ohtani does well there too.

League leaders in "Mostly Gone" which are home runs in 8-29 of the parks
    Ozuna 26
    Judge 23
    Semien 23
    Westburg 22
    Then a bunch of guys
    Ohtani 13 way down on the list at 51st in the league.

There ya go again. Judge is second in MLB with mostly home runs and Ohtani is way down the list. Get outta here.

So yeah, that notion of laying his home runs over every park? Doesn't matter, it shows Judge is tops in the league in HR.

The kicker is Judge is the best HR hitter in MLB but he is also hitting .333 to boot with a .466 OB%, while leading the league in Intentional Walks

Judge is by far the best hitter in MLB right now.

League leaders in "Expected Home Runs" based on where the balls have been hit and in relation to all 30 MLB parks.

1. Judge 43
    2. Soto 38.6
    3. Ozuna 38.5
    4. Ohtani 34.4

So @Basebal21, per your inquiry, Ohtani is actually the one who 'loses' more home runs based on where his balls where hit and how many would be hit in all the parks.

And Judge is also hitting .333 with a .466 OB%...did I say that already?

2022 Leaderboard in expected home runs...just in case you try and claim this year is just a one year 'event'...

1.Judge 63.6
    2. Schwarber 49.6
    3. Alonso 38.9
    4. Trout 35

So the moral of the story is that Judge is not benefitting at all from his home park and Ohtani isn't being hurt by his home park.

In the end, the OPS+ is 'dead on balls accurate' for them.

Judge is having another historic season. Gotta give him his proper due.

You are correct, but you’re also being a bit of a jerk. You overplay your hand when you assert that OPS+ is “dead on balls accurate”. Along with your attitude of superiority you fail to hold yourself accountable enough in victory to win a debate. Sad trombone.

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭✭✭

edited August 17, 2024 12:13PM

@bgr said:
    You are correct, but you’re also being a bit of a jerk. You overplay your hand when you assert that OPS+ is “dead on balls accurate”. Along with your attitude of superiority you fail to hold yourself accountable enough in victory to win a debate. Sad trombone.

Jeez Louise, "dead on balls accurate" is a play on a quote from My Cousin Vinny...and I'm just having some sports talk fun with it. I don't have a hand I'm playing and I'm not trying to score debate points. Just using some fun sports talk banter to dispel a ridiculous claim using the exact information that he was trying to cite, lol. So I guess if I said, "Lighten up Frances," you would get even more in a tizzy?