Home U.S. Coin Forum

Are you more likley to buy a coin if you see a quality video first?

PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I made a similar thread like a while ago, but I was curious why videos weren't more popular in numismatics and I wanted to take a poll. Whenever I'm buying a coin and I know the seller is familiar with technology, I ask for a video of the coin. Whenever I'm selling a coin, I get asked for videos as they know that I'm somewhat familiar with technology. I realize that the auction houses have done the "coins in motion" or something to that effect for a while, but they've never really been helpful for me. I have yet to see a dealer incorporate actual videos into their website, but I've begun testing the model on my website and I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble.

Some of the downsides for dealers including videos include the fact that they take up a ton of data and are hard to manage on a full scale basis. In addition to that, some coins might not present well on video, and it may well have the opposite effect on buyers. I'm leaning towards doing the videos for coins that have attractive attributes that you cant see in a picture, but not doing it for every coin. For context, I'm talking about videos in addition to quality photos, which obviously are non negotiable. What say you?

Founder- Peak Rarities
Website
Instagram
Facebook

Are you more likley to buy a coin if you see a quality video first?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• PeakRaritiesPeakRarities Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2024 5:54PM

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• tcollectstcollects Posts: 990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I like videos but I dont think its necessary for most coins.

in-hand videos, especially in sunlight, are very helpful

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would have voted yes on the first option except for the “every” coin part.

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,712 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2024 5:16PM

Anything that helps in the decision making process is a go.

peacockcoins

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meh, Im impartial as long as long as theres quality images.

I'm usually much better at interpreting images rather than a video, so I'm impartial.

Coin Photographer.

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be happy with a nice high grade photo
    I'd also be concerned about "deep fakes"

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,879 ✭✭✭✭✭

A high quality video is a nice extra for coins that really warrant it, but usually unnecessary if there's a high quality photo.

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I love seeing a video before I buy a coin and every coin should have one.

I just bought a Thermofisher instrument for the sole purpose of producing vids of coins rotating under the light. This is my summer project............

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/
    edited May 31, 2024 7:13PM

@spacehayduke said:
    I just bought a Thermofisher instrument for the sole purpose of producing vids of coins rotating under the light. This is my summer project............

You're my hero. I've been thinking about a way to do that, and I should have known considering the discussion we had at Central States.

I believe that same device that's able to tilt and rotate a coin under a light, consistently, will also be a quintessential component of the first successful AI coin grading software.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

my feeling is that : Yes, I love seeing a video before I buy a coin but also not every coin needs one.
    Obviously the coin itself will dictate whether a static image is sufficiently representative or if a video will bring the coin to life in a way that a picture just can't accurately capture. That may be hidden luster, great toning or some other important element to a buyer.

I can absolutely say that I have purchased coins that I would have otherwise been sitting on the fence had they not had a video to push me over to make the purchase.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

Quality images are sufficient. But, videos are useful, too.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Jacques_LoungecoqueJacques_Loungecoque Posts: 660 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really think this question needs a slight bit of perspective. We do not all collect/acquire coins of the same values. I’ve seen some of your treasures and for coins like those - yes, I would like a video.

I’m a much, much, MUCH more modest collector. At current my average value coin is probably around $200. In the near future that will expand to $500ish. Then to the $1-3k range for some final pieces. I can’t see me ever acquiring anything over $5k - and that would be a stretch. For everything in these ranges I would not expect a video.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t like it if there are just videos of a coin though

Mr_Spud

@Jacques_Loungecoque said:
    I really think this question needs a slight bit of perspective. We do not all collect/acquire coins of the same values. I’ve seen some of your treasures and for coins like those - yes, I would like a video.

I’m a much, much, MUCH more modest collector. At current my average value coin is probably around $200. In the near future that will expand to $500ish. Then to the $1-3k range for some final pieces. I can’t see me ever acquiring anything over $5k - and that would be a stretch. For everything in these ranges I would not expect a video.

That’s a very fair point, and I don’t know if it’s so much to do with the actual dollar amount as much as the premium over wholesale. For instance, buying common double eagle close to melt vs buying a $600 toner that would normally cost $150.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think videos are stupid and you're wasting your time. However, the coins I collect are pretty hard to come by, so if it is within my price range, has a CAC, and appears to have eye appeal. I'll buy it.

• TrickleChargeTrickleCharge Posts: 174 ✭✭✭

eBay of all places allows sellers to utilize short videos of coins. While I would not say a video is necessary, it can be a beneficial addition when on the fence about making a decision to buy a coin.

• JerseyBJerseyB Posts: 99 ✭✭✭

Videos can help you see hairlines better than photos.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would like some dealers to get better photos period.

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice website and best of luck.

Very good descriptions. I have no idea why some dealers don’t provide write ups when selling more expensive or special coins. If they can’t find someone who can.

• DCWDCW Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, videos are stupid and youre wasting your time.

I dont really think videos are "stupid," but I don't require them to buy a piece. Call me old fashioned, but photos are fine.

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love a high quality video. It's secondary to pictures but adds a lot IMO. The videos on your site are great, they add a lot of depth.

I don't know how to embed the video here but I love this one -> https://www.peakrarities.com/product-page/1856-s-10-pcgs-58-cac (have to click through the pictures)

• KiwiNumiKiwiNumi Posts: 105 ✭✭✭

I've only ever bought bullion online. All my collectible coins have been in person purchases, so I voted for the first option. I really prefer being able to see a coin before buying it.

edited May 31, 2024 10:50PM

I think we’re starting to bring into focus the idea that videos would be a case by case basis. If a coin is a straight luster explosion or needs that movement to highlight colorful toning then videos are clearly a selling point and worth the time and money to make.

If a coin is just plain flat or “washed out,” has dull toning, or is generic, then I think a video would have the opposite effect and highlight less desirable traits. If I owned an online shop, and I most certainly do not, I’d use videos to highlight what I wanted to move the quickest. If a piece is tying up your capital, if a piece is just plain HOT in the current market, or if a coin has a potential high rate of return you want to move them quickly.

So, i guess what I’m trying to say is that giving those coins a video, but not others, says “hey look at me, I’m special and exclusive enough to get a video - come on you know you want me.” 😆

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• CoinbertCoinbert Posts: 83 ✭✭✭

HI Dan, I like videos but feel that they are not necessary for most coins as long as there are quality photos. Doug Winter has Jenna providing excellent photos of his coins. Great Collections has definitely improved their photo quality. I agree with you that the coins in motion at the auction companies do nothing for me.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerfan said:
    Quality images are sufficient. But, videos are useful, too.

This works for me as well

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,071 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:

In addition to that, some coins might not present well on video, and it may well have the opposite effect on buyers….

>

Dan, I’m curious, what types of coins might not present well on video, as compared to however they’d look in pictures?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only reason I would think a coin would benefit from a video would be if it was loaded with luster and the seller could not capture it with a photo. Not many of those in my opinion.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • KliaoKliao Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can typically determine what a coin will look like based on a set of good pictures but I will never refuse a video if offered.

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

@MFeld said:

@DeplorableDan said:

In addition to that, some coins might not present well on video, and it may well have the opposite effect on buyers….

>

Dan, I’m curious, what types of coins might not present well on video, as compared to however they’d look in pictures?

Mark, when I made that comment I was thinking of coins that were moderately abraded, or those with dull luster.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• ARCOARCO Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2024 7:38AM

The more visual images of a coin the better. I have noticed on some videos that they move the coin too fast, and often, the light source bounces off the holder in a way that detracts and makes it difficult to discern the coin luster from the light reflection.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,071 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:

@MFeld said:

@DeplorableDan said:

>

Mark, when I made that comment I was thinking of coins that were moderately abraded, or those with dull luster.

Thanks, Dan. I’d think those coins wouldn’t present well in pictures, either. So if a video would help show the coin accurately, I say go for it.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

After buying coins online since 1998 with pictures only, I now know what to look for. If the images are good no need for a video. I can see through the image in most cases. The only exception would be toned coins. Coins that some call tarnished and cannot see the beauty of vibrant color added over the many years of storage... A video of those would be nice..

• WCCWCC Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only been provided a video once, for an auction last year. It was helpful but I did not buy the coins. I was outbid.

I just took multiple videos of my collection earlier this morning (with my phone) where I store my coins. However, the lighting was poor. Somewhat but not much better than taking pictures.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a big fan of tarnish and that is the type of coin that benefits the most imo from a video. The other issue I see is that so many videos have poor lighting that ends up with massive reflections or all you see are the lights themselves shining off the plastic.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lustrous, attractively toned coins are basically begging for a video. It does add more perspective for sure. However, beware of people who like to turn up the saturation knobs on videos.

@ElmerFusterpuck said:
    Lustrous, attractively toned coins are basically begging for a video. It does add more perspective for sure. However, beware of people who like to turn up the saturation knobs on videos.

Just for the record, none of my videos will post-processed or have added saturation levels. I use very minor post processing on the images just to get them to appear true to the coin, but I don't see a need for that with videos.

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

@DeplorableDan said:

@ElmerFusterpuck said:

Just for the record, none of my videos will post-processed or have added saturation levels. I use very minor post processing on the images just to get them to appear true to the coin, but I don't see a need for that with videos.

Funny you say that because in my last reply I was going to say something about as long as a video is straight up and it is not processed as to embellish and falsify a coin’s presentation, then there’s nothing wrong with that. But I felt that would come off as accusatory and I’m pretty sure I can say with 100% certainty we all know you’re an honorable guy and it doesn’t need to be said!

• ShurkeShurke Posts: 313 ✭✭✭✭

I can think of 4 or 5 coins I wouldn’t have purchased if I’d seen videos of them first. Static pictures either didn’t fully show or actively hid their flaws.

So in that regard, I like videos because they can make it a bit easier to form an opinion of a coin when you can’t see it in person.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file