Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Weird looking 1909-S Lincoln Cent

ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1909-S Lincoln Cent in this ebay listing does not look right to me - the “s” appears misshapen, and even the date looks a little funny (the “1” appears short). Is this a die struck counterfeit, perhaps from China?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/326133246816?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=rxHxJqSWQlC&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=bxjklrq3tfe&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

As-is, no refunds or exchanges... that is a deal breaker to me.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2024 7:11PM

Too late, someone bought it.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    edited May 26, 2024 7:33PM

@OAKSTAR said:

Holy crap, $206! The winning bidder sure thinks it is genuine.

My intent was more educational and not necessarily reporting the auction. Just would like some insight on the likely origin of the counterfeit.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Connecticoin said:

@OAKSTAR said:

My intent was more educational and not necessarily reporting the auction. Just would like some insight on the likely origin of the counterfeit.

I know. You're singing my song. I'm not in a position to attribute it. I would have been coming here first for answers.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,631 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw nothing wrong with it.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Connecticoin said:

@OAKSTAR said:

The US Mint.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2024 6:13AM

Here's the coin in question.

• Options
    Slade01Slade01 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

Hard to say from that picture, but doesn't look bad, although I would have studied a better image before bidding. They used the same S mintmark on both the Lincoln and Indian in 1909. And the price is in the ballpark for an AU 1909-S Lincoln raw.

• Options

@oih82w8 said:
    As-is, no refunds or exchanges... that is a deal breaker to me.

But if it is taken to a dealer and deemed counterfeit, the EBay guarantee would kick in and force a refund from seller.

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to tell whether counterfeit from image. Poor images with no return privilege gets no bid from me.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

All the no return does is prevent "I didn't like it" returns. I have returned coins for "not as pictured" and "different coin than pictured" to no return sellers and ebay refunded both. Photo inhand comparisons to ebay usually prevail.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭✭

So while I’m the furthest thing from an expert, the S mint mark to me looks suspicious. If the 1909s is the same S punch used for the ‘09s VDB, then it is not genuine imo.

• Options

@jfriedm56 said:
    So while I’m the furthest thing from an expert, the S mint mark to me looks suspicious. If the 1909s is the same S punch used for the ‘09s VDB, then it is not genuine imo.

That was my thought as well. The “S” looks mis-shapen and the date looks funny to me as well. Maybe some pixelation of the image makes it look that way.

• Options

@mr1931S said:
    Hard to tell whether counterfeit from image. Poor images with no return privilege gets no bid from me.

Well that and more important to me is that it's not at least a 65RD. ;)

• Options
    edited May 27, 2024 11:19AM

@jfriedm56 said:

There was only a single S mint mark punch used from the 1909 Indian through to the 1916 Lincoln -- one punch used for them all. So it is pretty easy to make comparisons, although they got punched at different angles and in slightly different locations. The problem here is the lousy picture through the 2x2, which was probably intentional. Typical EBay poor quality image from a sketchy seller.

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Slade01 said:

@mr1931S said:

None of my three 1909-S pennies are "65RD." One AU, one XF, one VF.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options

@mr1931S said:

@Slade01 said:

@mr1931S said:

None of my three 1909-S pennies are "65RD." One AU, one XF, one VF.

The first one that I ever had was a VG, found in searching change like my whole original set 60 years ago. Today, all of the Lincolns have been upgraded. While I have an 09-S 65RD, I really like nice toned chocolate browns better. They can be hard to find.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think it is genuine.

• Options

@dcarr said:
    I don't think it is genuine.

On a closeup analysis in Photoshop, the central curved portion is much thicker than any of my MS examples where that s punch was used and the top of the s is too damaged to compare, so I will have to agree with you.

I tried to match it to 09-S, 09-SVDB, 1910-S, 11-s, 12-S, 13-S, 14-S and 15-S (couldn't find my Indian 09-S or my Lincoln 16-S pictures) and the font is not quite right or has been somehow flattened and widened out, particularly through the upper into the central curve. Also, the terminus of the bottom of the s is too large and rounded that makes the entire letter look too flat and wide to a equal size genuine example.

• Options

If counterfeit (which I believe it is), do you think it is an added S or die-struck? Perhaps @CaptHenway can weigh in.

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Connecticoin said:
    If counterfeit (which I believe it is), do you think it is an added S or die-struck? Perhaps @CaptHenway can weigh in.

I could not prove anything from those pictures, but my gut feeling is no good.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

If memory is correct, the 's' is more boxy than what appears on that coin.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭✭

So here’s a 1909-S Indian cent for comparison. This one is PCGS graded 65RB CAC and the one in question-raw. Are the S punches all the same for all Indians and Lincoln’s?

• Options

Yes, there was a single S mint mark punch for 1909-S Indian through and including the 1916-S Lincoln according to NGC.

source: https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/5217/Counterfeit-1909-S-VDB-Lincoln-Cents/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file