Home U.S. Coin Forum

My First Show Report: CSNS

KliaoKliao Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 5, 2024 2:27PM in U.S. Coin Forum

This is my first attempt at writing a report, so please bear with me :).

For those who don't know, I'm originally from the Chicagoland area but currently studying at the University of Illinois, about three hours south. I didn't expect to be able to attend this show, but my end-of-semester schedule allowed me to attend. I booked my bus and show tickets just a couple of weeks ago.

I arrived at the show early on Thursday to collect my pass. There was already a long line of people waiting to purchase a pass. Luckily, those who bought them online could bypass the line and pick up their passes at the coat check. The crowd was allowed in right at 10 am. My first stop was to surprise the LCS I worked part-time. I had initially told him I probably wouldn't be able to attend the show when he asked me to help him set up.

After that, I began making my rounds at the show. I chatted with Ben the Coin Geek, Jon Sullivan, and the folks at Americana among others. I'm naturally more of an introvert, but I wanted to connect with more dealers. As a result, I found myself exhausted at the end of each day. I had intended to say hi to the forum members who had set up at the show, but it slipped my mind with all the excitement.

On Friday, I helped a friend who was looking for a flashy Morgan to add to his collection. Knowing that I had more knowledge about coins overall, he wanted my opinion on which coin would be the best fit for his set. We wandered around the entire show, comparing options. It came down to one at Northern Nevada and another at Rinkor. After going back and forth, we finally settled on a beautiful 1882-CC in 64DMPL with very deep mirrors and frosty devices. A special thanks to Mike Rinkor, who took the time to educate both of us more on DMPL Morgans. Rinkor also had a very impressive selection of 1921 PL Morgans.

Overall, this was the best show I've attended so far. I sold a few coins and saw many incredible pieces. I also dropped off my very first CAC stickering submission. It seemed like quality material was selling well, and many dealers I spoke with were very happy on both the selling and buying side.

My only NEWP was an original bust dime for my type set.

Collector
75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
instagram.com/klnumismatics

Comments

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perfect VF bust dime, I love them that way. Thanks for the show report!

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2024 2:21PM

Nice show report. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

Edited to add: Very nice Bust dime by the way. The detail is very nice on it.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the report!

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for your report. Very nice 1833 Dime.

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ken, Thanks for your report. Making the rounds was the right thing to do. Good to be seen cause you've got a great website too. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon, NickPatton, ProfLiz, Twobitcollector,Jesbroken

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report! Rinkor always seems to have a nice selection from what I’ve seen, so good choice there!

Coin Photographer.

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,510 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool report and cool dime.
    I’ll be attending my very first shows this month and next. It just happens to be two of them coming to town back to back.

• RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report, thanks for posting it, and congrats on your Bust dime purchase!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• rkprkp Posts: 443 ✭✭✭

Great report and awesome 1833 dime with that perfect original, circulated cameo look!

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where are the pictures of the food? But seriously, thanks for your report. Glad everything went well.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

ILL

INI

Excellent report

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report! Don’t be shy - continue to share your experiences and your thoughts/suggestions/advice!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a big Purdue fan so I guess I'll have to tolerate you! ;)

Seriously, that's a great coin you picked up. Really nice, and thank you for sharing your experience with us.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2024 10:21AM

Northwestern fan here. Do I have to tolerate both Purdue and Illini fans? Thanks, guys, for giving us our 6th and 7th wins of our rising Phoenix of a football season last year. You guys were so kind and generous to us. Thanks. And in basketball as well.

Your dime looks really choice. One question - Is there still a tiny coin shop in downtown Champaign? I used to read stories about former UI OL Nick Allegretti hanging out at that shop as his escape from the grind of school and football? It would be fun to stop in Champaign, find that shop and say "Hello."

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • KliaoKliao Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:

One question - Is there still a tiny coin shop in downtown Champaign? I used to read stories about former UI OL Nick Allegretti hanging out at that shop as his escape from the grind of school and football? It would be fun to stop in Champaign, find that shop and say "Hello."

There are actually 2 shops in downtown Champaign. One of them is very overpriced and I've only been in there once. The other, Specialty Coin ran by Mark is a nice little shop. Mark is nice to talk to and he has many regulars that stop into chat. Fair prices and ok inventory. I enjoy stopping in there every so often to talk coins and get my mind off school.

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great show report. I might add that’s about the most original VF Bust Dime I’ve ever seen!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kliao said:

@Barberian said:

One question - Is there still a tiny coin shop in downtown Champaign? I used to read stories about former UI OL Nick Allegretti hanging out at that shop as his escape from the grind of school and football? It would be fun to stop in Champaign, find that shop and say "Hello."

There are actually 2 shops in downtown Champaign. One of them is very overpriced and I've only been in there once. The other, Specialty Coin ran by Mark is a nice little shop. Mark is nice to talk to and he has many regulars that stop into chat. Fair prices and ok inventory. I enjoy stopping in there every so often to talk coins and get my mind off school.

That's it. His name is Mark Cortez.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks for the report, I enjoyed reading it. And your bust dime is perfect!

• lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good write up, keep it going. Rinkor is probably the dmpl dollar guy (or guys now) so probably did well. Years ago Legend would have some good dmpl's. Don Rinkor (the older one :) ) is also the recent and current president of the NSDR and seems to do a good job at that also. NSDR moved their annual dinner (I think post covid) to the CSNS show (from the winter FUN). An okay dinner that is better if sitting at the 'right' table.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report and awesome NEWP!

WTG!!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet '33, it has the "LOOK"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file