Comments

• Options
    ShurkeShurke Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

@Jinx86 said:

That is awsome!

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Robot1010 said:

This appears to have been struck on a deeply scratched / defective planchet, rather than struck through something.

• Options
    heavymetalheavymetal Posts: 574 ✭✭✭✭

2008W MS68 Buffalo with a large strike through.

• Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here’s a few:

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Options
    Robot1010Robot1010 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭

@GoldenEgg Definitely not a scratch or defective planchet. The discoloration is most likely from a fiber with grease on it. Not that it matters but the coin is uncirculated

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe that the sideways "Y" on this Chain Cent is a struck through. Given the quality of the copper that the early mint rolled out at this time, it could also be a planchet defect.

The mark on the other side of the "Y" is a die break. It's the marker of a known die state. I have thought of the long mark through the portrait is a scratch, but it too could be a planchet rolling problem.

Yes, the reverse of this coin is my avatar.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

• Options

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here’s one that I found in circulation.

God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.

• Options

• Options

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2024 6:45PM

1880-CC PCGS ms64 struck though wood sliver in the 0. Wish I still had it.

theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭✭✭

A little help. Would this be considered a struck thru?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    A little help. Would this be considered a struck thru?

Looks more like a weak strike.

• Options
    edited May 24, 2024 7:44PM

@jtlee321 - Is this what these things look like under the surface? What is that stuff? It looks like drywall. It doesn't look like silver.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    jtlee321jtlee321 Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:
    @jtlee321 - Is this what these things look like under the surface? What is that stuff? It looks like drywall. It doesn't look like silver.

What you are seeing is not really under the surface, it's the surface texture of the object that was caught between the die and the planchet as the coin was struck. So in this case, the metal did not "flow" against the metal face of the die to create the typical luster found in the field. I don't know exactly what was struck thru, but my guess is a small piece of wood or something similar.

• Options

Thanks for that explanation @jtlee321

• Options

• Options

• Options

Sorry, not the best pictures but you get the idea. Two separate coins with similar "but not exact" grease filled strikes. It looks the grease (or whatever it was) was squirted outward from the strike.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file