Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Have 4 separate 1958 wheat pennies, need advice, pretty please

honeybunchesof6oatshoneybunchesof6oats Posts: 5
edited May 2, 2024 7:31AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Greetings! Opening a roll of wheat pennies I received as a gift, and so far have found 4 1958 wheat pennies. Two with no mint mark (one shiny copper, one more of a deep red color), and 2 rather similar ones, both with a D mint mark. Any thoughts on whether or not either of these is worth

more than face value?

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Constructive criticism is always welcome, I appreciate your advice, and bluntness. Thank you so much!

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please crop your photos

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am sorry to say that they coins you have shown are only worth face value.
    As stated above, way to many and uncropped pictures.
    Put your new found wheaties into a jar and you can add to it when you find more in your searches.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2024 9:06AM

Many non collectors are surprised to find that just because something is old it is not automatically valuable. But in numismatics the age of a coin is only one small factor in valuation, the condition, the survivability of that date/mm are much more important than the age of the coin. 1958 was the last year of the wheat back cent because of that many dealers and collectors horded this date by the bag and roll, it is an extremely common coin. So to have much of any value over the 3 cents of copper metal in the coin it needs to be in exceptional uncirculated condition, which your coins are not.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭✭✭

What other coins were in the wheat cent roll?

Cheers, and God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,570 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I find them to buy, I offer 1.5¢ each and most don't sell. That's fine with me!!

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,287 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    When I find them to buy, I offer 1.5¢ each and most don't sell. That's fine with me!!

bob :)

I buy all I can at 3 cents each because you can wholesale them at 4 cents

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good photos. I can confirm that those are the last year of the wheat cent.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steve_in_Tampa said:
    Please crop your photos

Looks like a clog "B"(diebreak) unless it is PMD. Clog letters in 50's wheats are numerous.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steve_in_Tampa said:
    Please crop your photos

This 1958 cent is bright and shiny because it has been cleaned. As such not in a collectable grade. A Mint State cent should look like this. The difference is subtle for a non collector, but it means everything to an experienced collector.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

you were shorted if you got a roll of wheat pennies and only found 4. What about the other 46?

• Options

Sorry to take so long to respond, I really appreciate all of your comments, it's nice to have straight answers to questions, because I know little in this area, and would really like to know more. I started getting into coins because my dad gets excited when he finds one he thinks to be worth something, but his vision isn't the best and he doesn't even use email, let alone go online to look into it...... he asks me to look up coins all the time, and I absolutely love doing it for him, but with all the contradicting information that comes up when I Google ANY coin, I was having a hard time trying to figure out what to tell him, because I didn't want to tell him something that would end up being false. I truly appreciate being able to ask about one here, and get fast, honest responses. I'll definitely crop the photos, and and keep the number of photos to a minimum. Also, the roll of wheat pennies is a complete roll, I just had something come up the other night, and had to postpone going through the rest of them until today, so I don't know yet what all else is in the roll yet. I'm sure I'll be back shortly, with at least a couple more questions 😆Thank you ALL, so much for your help! 💜💜

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hmmmmmm

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

Worth about 3 cents each.

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2024 12:12PM

I’m glad to read that you’re having fun!
    It sounds like a physical book might be of benefit to your father and help you both. The Redbook of US Coins covers it all very well. You can purchase it online or through most coin stores.

It actually called.
    A Guidebook to US Coins,
    though it’s loosely referred to be coin collectors as The Red Book.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree whole heartily.

Get the Whitman Book,

It's a great starting point.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spending money. Extremely common date wheat back cents.

All glory is fleeting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file