Home Sports Talk
Options

Are the 11-5 Pittsburgh Pirates for real ?

1235»

Comments

• Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 759 ✭✭✭✭

I just read their financial reports. I’m sure the yahoo reporter in his PJs understands it perfectly but even the tweet numbers are showing the top line revenue and not much detail on the operating costs, ebitda, and realized profits. The financials are available. The only information you should trust is the GAAP numbers.

Yahoo had the revenue and income mixed up. They also got the per game revenue wrong.

Forbes mentioned double digit profit growth. They had double digit revenue growth. Oops. Close enough.

I didn’t look at the 3rd.

They would be profitable if they were not spending so much on facilities and carrying so much debt for liberty.

I don’t think your thesis is necessarily wrong. I don’t think it’s as bad as you make it seem for the Pirates. I think maybes there is $30MM/yr. That doesn’t mean they couldn’t afford some large contracts. Anyways. I do agree with you in principle here but your supporting data isn’t correct.

• Options
    Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭

@bgr said:

I just read their financial reports. I’m sure the yahoo reporter in his PJs understands it perfectly but even the tweet numbers are showing the top line revenue and not much detail on the operating costs, ebitda, and realized profits. The financials are available. The only information you should trust is the GAAP numbers.

Yahoo had the revenue and income mixed up. They also got the per game revenue wrong.

Forbes mentioned double digit profit growth. They had double digit revenue growth. Oops. Close enough.

I didn’t look at the 3rd.

They would be profitable if they were not spending so much on facilities and carrying so much debt for liberty.

I don’t think your thesis is necessarily wrong. I don’t think it’s as bad as you make it seem for the Pirates. I think maybes there is $30MM/yr. That doesn’t mean they couldn’t afford some large contracts. Anyways. I do agree with you in principle here but your supporting data isn’t correct.

Those werent all talking about the same years. Theres countless other articles and sources out there I just didnt want to post a 1000 links. Also keep in mind that the teams are allowed to use future contracts obligations to lower reported profits. Not to mention most of the teams have an ownership stake in their stadiums and own things around the stadium and their tv networks etc. Even the As leaving Oakland still own half the stadium and will get half of whatever revenue it generates or half of the sale price

Even if Jess Passan or Forbes didnt get the number exactly right down to the penny the point is that owning a MLB team is wildly profitable. If it wasnt the As, Cleveland, Pitt etc would all be sold immediately. Only a handful of owners currently are currently huge baseball fans that really want to win. Sadly most of the owners that were that way have passed away

The Pirates owner is one of the worst offenders of this despite having that amazing ball park and a market that absolutely loves their sports. If they got an owner that really cared about putting the best product out there theyd be a neutral team to me, until then though I do like seeing them not get rewarded

• Options

I agree with that for the most part. I was just trying to get an idea how how much money the pirates could spend on salary, while maintaining league average operating income, without going into the black.

Buying a MLB team in the past 20 years has been an amazing investment and a ATM at the same time.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rowdy Tellez?
    Okay this is a guy I would want on my slow pitch softball team because he would bring 5 cases of beer to every game.
    This is not a guy I would want on my mlb team because he’s 6’4”, 320 lbs., and has a career ops+ of 99.
    When you have this guy playing regularly on your team and especially at a traditional power position like first base he’s just hurting your team.
    And i thought the twins made a really bad move signing an aging Carlos Santana but he’s doing a lot better than Tellez.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

Milwaukee got a couple good seasons worth of both Tellez and Santana.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

34 - 37 - OH, Absolutely! :D

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bgr said:
    Milwaukee got a couple good seasons worth of both Tellez and Santana.

I have something against Santana because the Royals had him for 1 full year, and I could make an argument that he was the worst player in baseball that year, then they inexplicably brought him back for part of the next season before finally unloading him.

Stupid list…. Mistlin