Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anybody watching the SB Auction this week?

pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of cool Americana.

Any wins?

Comments

• Options
    Dug13Dug13 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭

:)

Wall of HONOR transaction list:WonderCoin, CoinFlip, Masscrew, Travintiques, lordmarcovan, Jinx86, Gerard, ElKevvo

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not yet but will be participating.

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Outbid, really nice stuff but expensive

• Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 875 ✭✭✭✭

ABSOLUTE INSANE PRICES;

I went after 3 lots in the Margolis (sp?) auction and was not even close... Not even in the ballpark. Now the items I wanted were historically significant but very esoteric to my collecting focus. The lots I bid on I capped at 1k and ended up selling many multiples of that.
    In the 2nd auction I went after the Cruickshank crosses and got crushed. The 2nd one meant a lot to me due to my heritage and I was in up until 5k but it ended up selling for 9k.

Strong strong prices for the exonumia... Absolutely incredible stuff though.

• Options
    MoparmonsterMoparmonster Posts: 135 ✭✭✭✭

Indeed! Lots of CAC keys on my watchlist. Hope to be able to grab a couple. Bid limit is only $5,000 though. Kind of a hassle to get it increased.

• Options
    QCCoinGuyQCCoinGuy Posts: 326 ✭✭✭✭

I got absolutely destroyed on the lots I bid on. Nuts.

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

Watching? Yes.
    Participating? No.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    TypekatTypekat Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2024 9:25AM

Yes, the Margolis exonumia went for moon money. I had a wishlist, but …..nada.

For instance: The sale had a number of nice copper 1836 US Mint First Steam Coinage medals. Looking to upgrade mine, I had 3 different in my sights.

The (rare but not unique) silver example in PCGS MS65 I can sort of understand at $21,600.

But copper examples going for $4320, $5000, and $6000 - I mean, really?

30+ years coin shop experience (ret.) Coins, bullion, currency, scrap & interesting folks. Loved every minute!

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Moparmonster said:
    Indeed! Lots of CAC keys on my watchlist. Hope to be able to grab a couple. Bid limit is only $5,000 though. Kind of a hassle to get it increased.

I just had mine increased fairly significantly this week in anticipation of this auction. It was very easy. I called in, they emailed me a 2 page form to fill out and sign, scanned it back and had the requested approval within a couple of hours.

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm usually deep into their Americana sales, but not this time...
    I'm having trouble with the search function, trying to narrow down what I'm interested in.
    To much trouble scrolling through so many lots.

• Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was fortunate to win an 1864 silver CWT (McClellan). Lost on 4 other silver examples that went for strong prices.

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    edited March 26, 2024 8:12AM

@Typekat said:
    Yes, the Margolis exonumia went for moon money. I had a wishlist, but …..nada.

For instance: The sale had a number of nice copper 1836 US Mint First Steam Coinage medals. Looking to upgrade mine, I had 3 different in my sights.

The (possibly unique) silver example in PCGS MS65 I can sort of understand at $21,600.

But copper examples going for $4320, $5000, and $6000 - I mean, really?

I was watching these as well.

The silver isn’t unique.

But all of them were finest known of their respective types. It was clear that the group was special and bidders acted accordingly.

The Cardinal/Eliasberg example sold over 11 years ago for more than $4k and it doesn’t even compare to the examples in this group in terms of quality.

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-2EPWQ/1836-first-steam-coinage-medal-bronze-27-mm-by-christian-gobrecht-julian-mt-23-ms-65-bn-ngc

• Options
    TimNHTimNH Posts: 128 ✭✭✭

There's another round in 4 hours (4PM eastern) with some early US stuff I am watching carefully, a chain cent and a couple old golds. The bids are already up around my limit so expect to get blown out, as I always do...

• Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Watching a number of them in session 4 (rarities night). Early bidding is crazy strong, meaning I’ll come up empty.

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Options
    TypekatTypekat Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

@pruebus

Thanks for correcting me on the silver issue.

My first choice among the copper was the ‘red’ one that brought $4320.

Somehow I had convinced myself that 3K would surely do the trick.

ha ha…

30+ years coin shop experience (ret.) Coins, bullion, currency, scrap & interesting folks. Loved every minute!

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pan Pacs and Humberts and Judds, oh my.......

Tim

• Options
    AllentramAllentram Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

Not my collecting area, and most way above my budget, but it's been fun to watch some of the more spirited bidding, and learning a little more about these medals.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m looking to buy three coins in one of their auctions this week. Without identifying them, they’re each “Classic” coins, PCGS w/CAC.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting thread on a Walking Liberty Half Fraser plaster in the same SB auction:

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1101764/likely-unique-walking-liberty-half-plaster-in-upcoming-stacksbowers-auction/p1

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options

@Byers said:

Rather low, don’t you think?

Low enough that I was tempted to bid (but held back).

• Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

One win of five I was bidding on (R9 silver). I feel very fortunate to get one with @Windycity provenance.

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    TimNHTimNH Posts: 128 ✭✭✭

I am just learning about the CMQ sticker in this auction, lots of these have them. Apparently added by SB themselves.

• Options
    edited March 26, 2024 4:02PM

@pruebas said:

@Byers said:

Rather low, don’t you think?

Low enough that I was tempted to bid (but held back).

Yes I agree!!

I was guessing $15,000. to $17,500. + BP

I would have bid but I am currently focused on the James and Laura Fraser’s clay, galvano, and plasters that I just purchased, as described in the other thread linked above.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you buy it Mike?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

@DCW said:
    Did you buy it Mike?

No. I just posted why in the above post.

But it was a bargain!

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks. Missed that. So why did the Buffalo sell for so much more?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    edited March 26, 2024 4:11PM

I knew several guys that wanted it at over $100k.

Including Jim Gately who bought my gold Buffalo Nickel for $400k.

It’s Fraser’s iconic Buffalo Nickel reverse design in a very very rare galvano.

It belongs in a museum!

• Options

@Byers said:

It belongs in a museum!

They both do!

That’s arguably the nicest rendition of the walking Liberty design. Such a classic.

• Options

@pruebas said:

@Byers said:

It belongs in a museum!

They both do!

That’s arguably the nicest rendition of the walking Liberty design. Such a classic.

Yes, that Walking Lib Half plaster design is amazing!

• Options

This belongs in the same museum as the Buffalo Nickel galvano:

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ProofCollection said:
    I just won this one. The most expensive coin I've ever purchased. Had to go a full $3700 over PCGS and Greysheet retail guide, almost 40% (Purchase price $13.2k). This one is top pop in PL (only 4 in MS62, total 14PL, 8 in DMPL with top DMPL being MS62 also), these are just exceedingly rare to come by (in PL/DMPL) so I figured I had to stretch and grab it or live with a non-PL/DMPL slot filler. Hope I didn't overpay but on the other hand with these condition rarities you probably can't go wrong. Must have been slabbed or reslabbed recently though, the TV is awful compared to the Stack's photo. I think it's solid for the grade but probably wouldn't (or didn't) CAC.

In my opinion, you did VERY well. I believe that for special coins like that, there’s nothing wrong with “paying up”. I truly believe that five or ten years from now, if not sooner, the market value will be noticeably higher than what you paid!

Enjoy it!!!!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrific looking rare coin but too rich for me

• Options
    KiwiNumiKiwiNumi Posts: 46 ✭✭

Where can I watch it? Anyone have a link to share?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Byers said:

Seems cheap.

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

This 1877 20c in PR64 CAC/CMQ hammered for $12k ($14.4k w/BP)—I didn't pursue it but was watching intently.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    This 1877 20c in PR64 CAC/CMQ hammered for $12k ($14.4k w/BP)—I didn't pursue it but was watching intently.

That’s a pretty coin!

• Options
    MoparmonsterMoparmonster Posts: 135 ✭✭✭✭

Strong prices all around today! Good to see the market doing well.

• Options

As expected, I got pummeled yesterday. What made it worse, I bid like a rookie (round $$ amount proxy bid that ended up matching a prior bidder - meaning LOSS). Plus, I passed on a lot that I thought would go too high for me (result: no live bids meaning I might have won at a good price if I did bid).
    Today was way better: 2 won, 3 lost but the wins were priced below my targets. Tomorrow’s another day & I’ll be hunting again!

Copperindian

Copperindian

• Options

We all lament the "high prices" but in reality, its just that inflation has just caught up with the coin market.

Almost all aspects of the economy have experienced 10-30% inflation over the past 2 years. And numismatics seems to be following suit.

To compensate, perhaps a 30% adjustment on your bids is in order? I have essentially done that. And while I have paid more, I have not lost as much.

As @winesteven said above, I suspect in a few years you will not regret having paid more.

• Options

OK - done! 3 wins on one’s that mattered most to me with 1 loss that hurt a bit. 6 losing bids on one’s that were mostly “larks”. All in all, a pretty good auction.

Copperindian

Copperindian

• Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was fortunate to win the only one I was after but it cost me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file