Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Question for Penny People

Looks like a tiny spot of Verdigris. Any hope for this coin?

Comments

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

Give it an acetone bath, won't hurt the coin or change the color. If it comes off all good, if not then it will be a problem.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭

Use Verdi care, that will remove the spot.

• Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    Give it an acetone bath, won't hurt the coin or change the color. If it comes off all good, if not then it will be a problem.

Very much agree.

• Options

@hfjacinto said:

I was wondering if this is something that could be sent in for conservation, of it that would be a waste of time.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RonaldDay said:

@hfjacinto said:

I was wondering if this is something that could be sent in for conservation, of it that would be a waste of time.

1903 Indian - Waste of time.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hfjacinto said:

I have had very little success using that on large cents, though my spots were larger. Essentially no change after multiple applications. And at $20 for a tiny bottle, I was pretty disappointed.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭

I used Verdi Care on this coin which had some verdis, but I don't have a before picture.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like pvc, not verdigris. Acetone should work.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your Indian Cent is in great condition but not worth getting graded/slabbed.
    I found out that sometimes Verdi-Care works and other times it doesn't do a damn thing.

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    RonaldDayRonaldDay Posts: 30 ✭✭

The pictures don't do the coin justice, great cartwheels, and nice luster in hand. I won't be sending it in though.
    Want to thank everyone for their feedback!!! You guys are great.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

One last thing before you go. Call it a cent, not a penny. You'll fit in much better here. 👍 😉

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not a 'penny' :) type but might check that coin for more greenish spots. I think I could be seeing some scattered around on both the obverse and reverse but smaller and more difficult to determine. On the enlarged photo appears to be some at the bottom of the U. On obverse photo maybe at the bottom of the Liberty head band. Reverse maybe the shield or adjacent areas and around One Cent.. Other similar scattered areas that might be.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options

Wound up with this instead

• Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is PVC acetone will take care of it.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RonaldDay said:
    Wound up with this instead

Maybe it's just the lighting, but the fields of this 1903 looks off, looks whizzed to me.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

Maybe it's just the lighting, but the fields of this 1903 looks off, looks whizzed to me.

I sure hope not: This is another view of the coin:

• Options

Woops, I made a mistake. I posted the wrong picture of the coin I wound up in the first instance. The second picture is the one in my registry now.

I wish this forum had an edit feature, I realized the mistake soon after and had no way to correct it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file