Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What Is Your Least Favorite Date In Your Collecting Series?

Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me, it's the 1840-o No Drapery. The odd transitional design, short dentils, and narrow rims look strange compared to the other coins in the set. I love the New Orleans mint and should like their first quarter issue, but I just can't seem to develop an appreciations for it.

Comments

• Options
    Zach98Zach98 Posts: 60 ✭✭✭

If nothing else it still is a gorgeous example! They can’t all be favorites though!

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe try the large O version at the right price. Do you collect varieties?

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Series? I have many being mostly a type collector. With that said I think for my Lincolns it would be 1909 for sure. Still way over priced as far as I'm concerned. It would probably be the last coins I add to that set

• Options

@fastfreddie said:
    Maybe try the large O version at the right price. Do you collect varieties?

I had that variety but sold it. I've narrowed things down to the 108 piece registry set. I did keep my 42-o small date though, and my 73 open 3.

• Options
    CrepidoderaCrepidodera Posts: 279 ✭✭✭✭✭

For me it's the 1873-CC no arrows quarter. I'll never own an example and it shouldn't be included in the PCGS everyman Liberty Seated Quarter set.

Doug

• Options

@Crepidodera said:
    For me it's the 1873-CC no arrows quarter. I'll never own an example and it shouldn't be included in the PCGS everyman Liberty Seated Quarter set.

Doug

I agree with you but it' is a coin that is part of the set.
    Like adding a 1792 dime to the Everyman type set, That's one coin that "everyman" will not own :/

• Options
    Married2CoinsMarried2Coins Posts: 238 ✭✭✭

1955/55 1c because I'll never own one to finish my Lincoln's in VF-XF.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. No Cameos.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

1921 Morgan dollar
    1904 Liberty double eagle
    1924 St. Gaudens double eagle
    1932 Indian eagle
    1909-D Indian half eagle
    All are extremely common. If you buy a "random date" gold coin from a major gold dealer, you will most likely get one of these dates.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

For Morgans, agree 1921. Besides common, do not like the redesign, esp the reverse Eagle bug eye, breast feathers, and fat legs.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 38D walker.
    It’s fairly common in all ms grades, but priced significantly higher than others that are scarcer.
    And many examples have heavy die polish lines that are unappealing.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does not compute! I like'em all!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2024 6:46AM

The '80-D is definitely an odd ball for me. The quarter which is my favorite series is very common in Gem so uninteresting while the half dollar is very scarce in Gem because it got shallow scrapes being placed in the mint set packaging. Curiously enough the dime which is very common in Gem is rare in superb Gem with FB. The SBA isn't too tough in high grade.

This makes '80-D one of my least favorite in every clad series. It's least favorite until I find a special one anyway.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    CrepidoderaCrepidodera Posts: 279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2024 7:27AM

@alaura22 said:

@Crepidodera said:

Doug

I agree with you but it' is a coin that is part of the set.
    Like adding a 1792 dime to the Everyman type set, That's one coin that "everyman" will not own :/

My point is that the 1873-CC no arrows quarter shouldn't be included in the everyman Liberty Seated Quarter set because there are 0 PCGS graded coins in the P1-AU58 grade range. For the 1792 half disme there are 80 grading events from P1-AU58 and certainly dozens of individual coins, so a dedicated collector could easily fill that slot if they had enough funds. The "everyman" moniker refers to a grade range, not affordability.

Doug

• Options

I don't consider the 73-cc NA quarter (5 known) to have been released for circulation and not necessary for a complete set. Same issue with the 73-cc NA dime (1 known) and 76-cc 20c (about 20 known).

For the dime, PCGS omits it altogether from the registry sets. For the 20c they have two registry sets, one with it and one without. They need to at least do the quarter set like the 20c set and have two different registry sets. There's no consistency with how they do these and it's annoying.

• Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭
     My opinion is probably not the popular one, but the date I like least is 1853.  I collect all the Seated denominations and I hate 1853 for a number of reasons.  The first one, is that there are so many 1853 coins I think a vast number of people think of 1853 as the "poster child" of Seated coins.  I think this makes many people take this over crowded second serving of Seated coins as the only version.
     My favorite coins in all the Seated series are from the early years.   My all time favorites are the no star half dime and dime.  Plus I love the early "Julia Roberts" profile coins way more than the "Aunt Bee" from the Andy Griffith show figure.  I love the small letter half dollars from 39-42.
     Once upon a time I tried to make a list of ALL the dealers on the internet that offered Seated coins or claimed to have them in their inventory.  I found over 150 dealers, but here is the thing, over 120 offered only one date. 1853.  James

• Options

Anyone know why my posts appear in a weird box?

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

1884 and 1885. Unattainable proof trade dollars...the set will never truly be complete.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love ALL Walkers BUT I'm not a big fan of the 1917, 1943 & 1946 Philadelphia coins.

This is only because they are soo common.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. I don’t like the small date and letters and there are no rarities or interesting varieties.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

1935-D Buffalo Nickels, because most of then are horribly struck

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2024 4:14PM

@seatedlib3991 said:

It is because you started the first line with 5 spaces.
    If you remove those spaces, it will look fine, although it will not have an indent.

The forum software uses something called Markdown format,
    which is a way of formatting things like

• bullet list items (line starts with - )

and block quotes (line starts with > )

But often this yields unexpected results for users that do not know about Markdown, like:

1 list item (line started with # )

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not looking to open up a new discussion here but being a Kennedy man, the 1964 SMS is my least favorite date coin as I will never own one in this lifetime or next. 😢
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1904 $20.

• Options

@yosclimber. thanks for that information. James

• Options
    MapsOnFireMapsOnFire Posts: 196 ✭✭✭

1835 half cent. Too many nice ones around, many of them pretty nice. Boooooooring!

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭

1796 Half Cent - Impossible for me to afford anything more that an ugly lump of copper.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

Middle Date Large Cents... 1821 and 1823 are difficult to find nice but they're out there, just expensive. I had a particularly tough time finding a nice VF/XF 1825...

Morgan Dollars... I have a disdain for the 1921. There's just too damn many of them and the earlier dates yield better specimens for Type if you're not collecting the whole series...

Lincoln Cents... 1922 "Plain". I never understood why this was a hole in the Date/MM set. It's an error coin and not a regular issue. But, using the same logic, the 1955 DDO would fall into the same category and it's just a cool coin with a storied history.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

1815...only 1 die marriage for the year and although considered scarce it is reasonably easily found in most grades if one has the funds.

Boring.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NeophyteNumismatist said:
    1796 Half Cent - Impossible for me to afford anything more that an ugly lump of copper.

I don't think there's ANY Liberty Cap Half Cent that's an easy score. I bought a scratched VG for my Type Set... yeah, I feel your pain...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkenefic said:

Lincoln Cents... 1922 "Plain". I never understood why this was a hole in the Date/MM set. It's an error coin and not a regular issue. But, using the same logic, the 1955 DDO would fall into the same category and it's just a cool coin with a storied history.

Imagine back in the 1950's finding a Lincoln cent dated 1922 and there was no space for it in your coin folder.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1913-S Barber quarter. In MS64 is the 20th scarcest Barber quarter and at $24,500 is the 3rd most expensive. Not that I will ever own one.

• Options

I see "never" said a lot on these forums,
    I'm the eternal optimist, never say never

• Options

@yosclimber said:

@seatedlib3991 said:

If you remove those spaces, it will look fine, although it will not have an indent.

But often this yields unexpected results for users that do not know about Markdown, like:

WOW
    You have waaaayyyy to much time on your hands :):)

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:

@yosclimber said:

@seatedlib3991 said:

WOW
    You have waaaayyyy to much time on your hands :):)

Only if you think the 5 minutes that took was really needed on something else. :)

• Options

Some people it takes 5 minutes, and some people it would take forever..................

• Options
    willywilly Posts: 285 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hate that my Type set needs both 1907 $10 Indians. Rolled Edged and Wired Edge. Both coins are expensive. Besides needing a 1907 No Motto which is reasonable.

• Options

@yosclimber. All I can say is thanks again. Not sure why anyone would be bothered you helped someone with poor computer skills. however I have had people yell at me for holding a door open for them. go figure. James

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

1942/41 and 1916D Mercury dimes. Both over hyped and over priced for coins that are not rare.

Ken

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1802 half dime. I have been fascinated with the early half dimes since I was a YN in the 1960s. I have built a “Red Book” set since the 1970s. The 1802 is the last one, and it’s pretty much out of my reach now.

There was a VG that Northeast Numismatics offered for over a year. It didn’t sell because the asking price was too high by $20 to $30 thousand. Finally it was consigned to action where it sold for a fair price, but I was not in the position to buy it.

The only thing about the coin is that’s a rare date. It has no great story surrounding it, like the 1792 half disme. It’s just rare, expensive and unobtainable.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    brianc1959brianc1959 Posts: 342 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20 said:
    1835. I don’t like the small date and letters and there are no rarities or interesting varieties.

:'(
    You've just insulted one of my chosen ones!
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/u-s-coins/mint-sets/1835-mint-set-gold-major-varieties/album/170960
    Now I'm going going to have a bad day for sure.

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brianc1959 said:

@Pnies20 said:
    1835. I don’t like the small date and letters and there are no rarities or interesting varieties.

You've just insulted one of my chosen ones!
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/u-s-coins/mint-sets/1835-mint-set-gold-major-varieties/album/170960
    Now I'm going going to have a bad day for sure.

JUST KIDDING

I love the 1835. I was just jealous everyone else’s are nicer than mine.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkenefic said:

The 1922 Plain Lincoln Cent is really a die state; it’s not an error coin. It’s made from worn die that was polished to help keep it going.

The 1955 doubled die is really a die variety. There was an error committed when the die was made, but the coin was struck as it should have been. Therefore it is not an error as coin collectors define them.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    renomedphysrenomedphys Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ll go with 1815. Insanely hard to find one cent coins in that date, Ive never even seen one that was worth a flip. 😜

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file