Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the largest grade increase you have received after…

AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

A crackout or reconsideration? Mine was a 3 grade increase from a small ANACS to a NGC slab.

Comments

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really, thats pretty significant

• Options

I had an old Irish guilt piece that went from AU58 (NGC) to MS64 (NGC). I expected a decent bump but not like that.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 617 ✭✭✭✭

So what does this tell you about grading companies

• Options
    AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RobertScotLover said:
    So what does this tell you about grading companies

It tells me different graders have different opinions. It might not necessarily be the companies themselves, but the graders since it’s my understanding you could get different graders each time.

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have several ANACS photo cert coins that I sent to PCGS that upgraded significantly. A few examples. 1818 Bust Half went from AU55/55 to MS62. 34 Washington quarter went from 65/65 to MS67 at PCGS. 1875 S double dime went from VF30/30 to AU50 at PCGS.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,449 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jacques_Loungecoque said:
    I had an old Irish guilt piece that went from AU58 (NGC) to MS64 (NGC). I expected a decent bump but not like that.

Not sure what a "guilt piece" is. Did you use the grocery or rent money to buy it? ;)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an ANACS photo certified coin that I resubmitted to them decades later. A 1982 no "P" strong strike Roosevelt dime. First time around, they graded it MS63, second time around it came back MS66.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not Authentic to MS62

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both my crackout grade jumps occurred with proofs. One from a PR 66 - PR 68 and the other from a details to a PR 62.

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

I once cracked out a CBH from an NGC VF-25 and got a PCGS XF-40

Trade $'s
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2024 6:39AM

Panama 1980 100 Balboa gold uncirculated (very rare) went from ANACS66 soapbox to PCGS69 PL. In hand it was a no-brainer. PCGS True view I could not get to post.

a

https://d1htnxwo4o0jhw.cloudfront.net/pcgs/cert/45217263/246355341.jpg

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those buff's are apparently the worst to grade. Congrats!! 👍

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a Carson City double eagle that went from PCGS 40 to PCGS 53. Twice before winding up in the 53 holder it was details graded.

• Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

SEGS VF-20 to PCGS VF-30 for a 1927-D Buffalo 3-1/2 legger.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    I've had a few go from details grades to straight-grades. How do you count that? 64 points??

The one that really mattered was a 1927-S Peace dollar that went from MS65 to MS65+. At the time, it made it a top 5 coin and represented something like a $20k jump in paper value.

I had one like that as well-UNC details to 69-I consider it 9 points (UNC details = 60) but others might disagree with that scoring.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have gone from "body bag" to MS-64. I've also gone from "body bag" to AU-55.

Both bags resulted in a loss of 100% of my grading and shipping fees, which does not make one happy with some third party graders.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

UNC details to MS66

• Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭✭

After reading these posts, it seems like my “best” isn’t much - a 1894/1894 Double Date IHC from PCGS 64RB to 65+RB. Still, a nice upgrade….

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Perryhall guilt is supposed to be gilt.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,449 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:
    @Perryhall guilt is supposed to be gilt.

I know. I was joking with you. Didn't you see the winky emoji?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@rnkmyer1 said:
    After reading these posts, it seems like my “best” isn’t much - a 1894/1894 Double Date IHC from PCGS 64RB to 65+RB. Still, a nice upgrade….

A half point on a tougher coin is more valuable than a multi-point gain on a common coin.
    It might be interesting to see the biggest increase with the smallest dollar value change (like a 1938 Buffalo nickel going from 60 to 65 would be a big jump but minor in terms of value difference).

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@asheland said:
    One can only imagine what this would do if sent back in.
    Although I have no interest in doing that, as I love the holder that it’s in. Plus the price increase for a grade or two up really isn’t enough to worry about.

I bet CAC would give that coin a gold sticker without hesitation. Beautiful coin.

If you sent the coin to CACG it would come back in a 58 holder.

Just kidding. Great looking coin.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

Morgan I bought went from 4 to 7. That was the biggest unc jump.

I took a VF30 to an AU50 with a type that was wildly undergraded by a TPG in the early 1990s. That's my biggest circ jump.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a PCGS coin go from 30 to 40.

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would love to participate in this thread...but need to wait until it's inverted to largest grade decrease .

• Options
    InditonkaInditonka Posts: 433 ✭✭✭

Had a SEGS MS61 1921 Peace crackout become PCGS 63, then later CACed.

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall i didn't see the winky emoji . Sorry

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

ANACS 66 to PCGS 69PL on a 1980 Panamanian gold 100 Balboas.

• Options
    TypekatTypekat Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2024 7:41AM

1889 Seated Lib 25c PCGS PR66 to PCGS PR67+ Cameo.

A stunning neon pastels coin that I paid double retail for in a Heritage sale, then cracked it out and sent it back to our host 4 years later.

(green CAC, before and after)

30+ years coin shop experience (ret.) Coins, bullion, currency, scrap & interesting folks. Loved every minute!

• Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 475 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭✭✭

2 points

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    VetterVetter Posts: 791 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went from a PCGS F12 CAC to a VF25 NGC 1918/7 D Buffalo Nickel

Members I have done business with:
    Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

^
    I know it is the same coin yet the date looks stronger in the PCGS photo rather than the NGC.
    The VF grade certainly looks appropriate too.

peacockcoins

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have had a $1 Panpac go from Anacs to P62. Also a $20 Lib. go N45 to P58.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

The only way I can respond to this thread is to say I have went from an ungraded coin (which some persons view negatively as they prefer graded coins) to:

1. MS67 (1943 P Cent);

2. SP68 (1965 SMS Dime); and

3. PF69CAM (1963 Quarter).

I have never (yet) submitted a graded coin for crossover or for reconsideration.

• Options
    CoinRaritiesOnlineCoinRaritiesOnline Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭✭

You wouldn't believe me if told you.

• Options

@CoinRaritiesOnline said:
    You wouldn't believe me if told you.

P1 to MS 70?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights