Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

[Grade Revealed] Guess the Grade - 1809 50c

CircCamCircCam Posts: 236 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 17, 2024 12:34PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Note: The slab has scattered marks, the line through the corner of liberty’s eye is on the slab for example and scuffed areas above the eagle’s neck on the reverse and on the shield are also on the slab.

Comments

  • Options
    CircCamCircCam Posts: 236 ✭✭✭✭✭


    And a normal cell shot of the slab for reference. Note it is not white balanced like the mains.

  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

    30

    Mr_Spud

  • Options
    JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

    45

  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭✭✭

    30

  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Lovely looking coin. Looks like some nice soft luster remaining. If it grades what I think it grades, it's premium. I always have issues with 09's though.

    Put me down for 40 (or really, 43.2765). ;)


    “We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

    Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

    50, I see some luster.

    Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

  • Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2024 4:20PM

    🤐

    Edit: to be clear this means I know the grade already.

    BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

  • Options
    fluffy155fluffy155 Posts: 230 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 16, 2024 4:16PM

    I like it at 45, but I could see it as a 50 on the right day.

  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'm not a fan of those services. That said it probably straight graded as a xf40. Likely a net grade.

  • Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭✭

    40

    “The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

    PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

    Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

  • Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. The wear on the neck, left wing and talons can be very misleading but the surfaces looks really good.
  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'll say 50. Seems like a lot of luster for an EF coin.

    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

    I'll guess she got a 30 despite the EF+ luster.

    I was looking at an F12 1809 this morning in an anacs soapbox that has EF luster.

  • Options
    jdillanejdillane Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭

    It is a nice O-103. They typically have weak obverse centers.

  • Options
    AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 343 ✭✭✭

    XF. Or XF details. I don't know if the cleaning would get a pass, it's likely, since it wasn't an abrasive cleaning.

  • Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @pursuitofliberty said:
    Lovely looking coin. Looks like some nice soft luster remaining. If it grades what I think it grades, it's premium. I always have issues with 09's though.

    Put me down for 40 (or really, 43.2765). ;)

    I was gonna say 49.7 but I didn't know if it would be ok

  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I see it as a VF35.
    Jim


    When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I don't have a clue how to grade these but, since I've been playing "Guess That Grade" :)

    I'll go 53.

  • Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

    40

  • Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

    30

  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2024 7:52AM

    I’ll go with XF45 (edited to add: and I’d grade it 50 before I would 40 or lower).

    Based on the coin’s detail and apparent luster, I’m surprised that there are currently five VF guesses.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭

    AU-50. Bleeding luster!

    "For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

    45, and a lovely pc at that.

  • Options
    Davidk7Davidk7 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

    It SHOULD be like a 40 BUT I promise PCGS called this a 30, maybe a 35.

    Collector of Capped Bust Halves, SLQ's, Commems, and random cool stuff! @davidv_numismatics on Instagram

  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

    My thought was 40. Cool coin. 👍

  • Options
    CircCamCircCam Posts: 236 ✭✭✭✭✭

    For those who guessed VF30, could you please share your reasoning?

    Thanks for playing, all. :)

  • Options
    CircCamCircCam Posts: 236 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Davidk7 said:
    It SHOULD be like a 40 BUT I promise PCGS called this a 30, maybe a 35.

    In analyzing the grades on coins like this, what occurs to me is that on circulated coins struck with missing detail to begin with, it is impossible for the graders to say for sure what is wear vs. as-struck, and they have to draw the line somewhere.

    I have several coins like this, but I have to say this is the most dramatic instance of it on any coin I’ve owned.

  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Davidk7 said:
    It SHOULD be like a 40 BUT I promise PCGS called this a 30, maybe a 35.

    Very good call, as opposed to my very bad one.😬

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I guess they graded the coin according to the (lack of) sharpness of the bust detail on the obverse. The mint surfaces around the stars didn't mean anything to them.

    This is really market grading. If it had been called an AU because of the mint luster, it would have been a much less desirable AU than one which had been fully struck.

    Overall it's not something I would buy because of the color. It's obviously been dipped, and it's not the look you get with the normal AU coin that has been dipped, like this one.

    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Davidk7 said:
    It SHOULD be like a 40 BUT I promise PCGS called this a 30, maybe a 35.

    Heck of a call David @Davidk7

    I did not know the grade and was torn between 40 and 45, both of which would have seemed reasonable to me. Calling it a 30, even with the confirmation of a green bean, seems to show a lack of understanding for the series and some of the Die Marriages.


    “We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

    Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2024 1:32PM

    @CircCam said:

    @Davidk7 said:
    It SHOULD be like a 40 BUT I promise PCGS called this a 30, maybe a 35.

    In analyzing the grades on coins like this, what occurs to me is that on circulated coins struck with missing detail to begin with, it is impossible for the graders to say for sure what is wear vs. as-struck, and they have to draw the line somewhere.

    I have several coins like this, but I have to say this is the most dramatic instance of it on any coin I’ve owned.

    Frequently varieties of 1809 are softly struck in different areas like the chin and left wing. If the majority of coins of a particular variety are weakly struck for whatever reason, I wish they would not grade those coins based on that.

    This particular coin looks like the grade is attributed to wear. It looks fairly even, especially the feathers in the reverse. Now that I’m looking at all the photos, VF30-35 seems accurate despite the luster.

    BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @BillJones said:

    Overall it's not something I would buy because of the color. It's obviously been dipped, and it's not the look you get with the normal AU coin that has been dipped, like this one.

    My thought was it spent too long in acid. The surfaces are not good.

  • Options
    CircCamCircCam Posts: 236 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @BillJones said:
    I guess they graded the coin according to the (lack of) sharpness of the bust detail on the obverse. The mint surfaces around the stars didn't mean anything to them.

    This is really market grading. If it had been called an AU because of the mint luster, it would have been a much less desirable AU than one which had been fully struck.

    Overall it's not something I would buy because of the color. It's obviously been dipped, and it's not the look you get with the normal AU coin that has been dipped, like this one.

    Good point on the market grading aspect, thank you for sharing.

    In regard to the second, to each his own… I’ll gladly take any “dipped out VF30’s” that look like this though. :)

  • Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @CircCam said:

    @BillJones said:
    I guess they graded the coin according to the (lack of) sharpness of the bust detail on the obverse. The mint surfaces around the stars didn't mean anything to them.

    This is really market grading. If it had been called an AU because of the mint luster, it would have been a much less desirable AU than one which had been fully struck.

    Overall it's not something I would buy because of the color. It's obviously been dipped, and it's not the look you get with the normal AU coin that has been dipped, like this one.

    Good point on the market grading aspect, thank you for sharing.

    In regard to the second, to each his own… I’ll gladly take any “dipped out VF30’s” that look like this though. :)

    Very attractive coin, imo.

    BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

  • Options
    MapsOnFireMapsOnFire Posts: 195 ✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2024 2:04PM

    it is impossible for the graders to say for sure what is wear vs. as-struck

    Then they should not be grading.

  • Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I went with 30 because of the amount of wear on the cheek and the overall wear on the reverse. I was torn between 25 and 30, ultimately picking 30. Also the broach is rubbed pretty good where there are no longer lines on it on the obverse.

  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 17, 2024 3:34PM

    I went with 30 after comparing it to my 35 bust half and comparing Liberty’s hair details and wear in the eagles wings

    Mr_Spud

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file