Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Best Storage For Those Thick 10 Ounce And Up Silver Bars

I have some 10 ounce and up silver bars that I want to keep nice. Some are from the 1960's. What is the best thing to store them in? Right now they are in glad sandwich bags lol.
Thank you,
appalachianjane

Comments

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@appalachianjane said:
    I have some 10 ounce and up silver bars that I want to keep nice. Some are from the 1960's. What is the best thing to store them in? Right now they are in glad sandwich bags lol.
    Thank you,
    appalachianjane

Could check at Wizard supply.
    At this link I see a 10 oz bar air-tite but don't know if it fits yours.
    Also there are bags for slabs that might work.

Capsule page with the 10 oz
    https://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/products/coin-capsules/

General holder page
    https://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/products/coin-holders/

or website
    https://www.wizardcoinsupply.com

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

That reminds me of the display cases (which can be found at crafts stores or similar). I have several and a past thread on them that contains ideas from others. But watch out for anything like felt as that can tone silver.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1083304/coin-slab-display-option#latest

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 6, 2024 3:43PM

There is a Precious metal sub forum.
    Feel free to show off pictures of the vintage bars.
    Ziploc Freezer bags are thicker plastic.
    That's all I use and a box capable of holding the weight.
    Monster Boxes work pretty good for storage.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 6, 2024 7:01PM

my source for zip storage bags

This particular size in 3x4 and is perfect for the 10 oz silver bar or slabbed coins. the 4 mil thickness is double what you find on a normal baggie.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Downtown1974 said:
    I took this 2 slab PCGS/NGC holder, removed the insert and used it for these 20 oz. bars. They fit perfect length wise and used foam to take up the space width wise. I think I bought this one at APMEX but you can find them on eBay cheaper.

While that may keep them from getting jostled around, are we sure it would "keep them nice"? Is the foam archival? Are they stored in a low humidity environment? Etc. The OP asked about long term storage, I'm not sure that display box is designed to do be archival.

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

For serious long term storage consider vacuum packing them like you might use for food.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    horseyridehorseyride Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

ziploc freezer bags. Made of food grade polypropylene

• Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

While that may keep them from getting jostled around, are we sure it would "keep them nice"? Is the foam archival? Are they stored in a low humidity environment? Etc. The OP asked about long term storage, I'm not sure that display box is designed to do be archival.

I can’t be certain if it is archival. The box was originally designed to house 2 coin slabs. The foam I added was from a case that housed expensive camera equipment. Without knowing for sure, I would lean towards it not being archival quality. The bars are stored in the same safe as my coins, so humidity is controlled.
    The OP stated he had bars from the 1960s. I’m assuming they look similar to mine with some patina and color. I’m not sure if they were pressing bars in the 60s. Most likely either poured or extruded, so they are already rough looking. If the purpose of the OP is to maintain bright, shiny bullion, this box may not be the answer.

• Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ziplock is fine IMO. You can use one of those hand warmers and activate them and it will suck all the oxygen out of the air.

• Options

@lcoopie said:
    For serious long term storage consider vacuum packing them like you might use for food.

I do have those metallic food bags used with oxygen absorbers. Would those work?

• Options
    SaamSaam Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

You should consider using a food vacuum sealer. My silver bars, rounds & coins have no toning even after being sealed for many years! I only seal the silver, not their container, box or display case.

• Options
    TypekatTypekat Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

I’ve been out of the bullion business for 11 years now, and this the most enlightening thread I’ve seen on this forum in a long time!

So, people don’t just cram as many bars as possible into an Army surplus ammo box anymore?

30+ years coin shop experience (ret.) Coins, bullion, currency, scrap & interesting folks. Loved every minute!

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

why, what is the end goal? I think silver that has naturally tarnished is more easily sold and at a bit more premium than non tarnished.
    On a side note I have an acquaintence that uses a 1,000 oz bar to keep his barn door open or closed as needed. Talk about tarnished and ugly....lol
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭✭

@appalachianjane said:
    Thank you,
    appalachianjane

My safe!!!

• Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rte592 said:
    There is a Precious metal sub forum.
    Feel free to show off pictures of the vintage bars.
    Ziploc Freezer bags are thicker plastic.
    That's all I use and a box capable of holding the weight.
    Monster Boxes work pretty good for storage.

I did not know about this sub forum. I'm going to check that out.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 7, 2024 4:11PM

@Typekat said:
    I’ve been out of the bullion business for 11 years now, and this the most enlightening thread I’ve seen on this forum in a long time!

So, people don’t just cram as many bars as possible into an Army surplus ammo box anymore?

We're not animals :D we have opposable thumbs ;) I'm not saying I'm old but at some point lugging around an ammo can has its draw backs :o

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file