Home Precious Metals
Options

a very good argument for buying gold

Comments

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2024 12:57PM

@jmski52 said:
    i don't even understand why you would have such ideas based on my comment of you taxing yourself twice.

Tell me how I'm taxing myself twice.

I already did.

Also, explain how you plan to deal with the tax liability from your gains in gold, if it's true that you own so much gold. This should be real interesting.

I pay the tax due. Don't you?

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 30, 2024 1:54PM

Tell me how I'm taxing myself twice.

I already did.

You paid tax when you cashed in your IRA to buy PMs and now pay tax again when you sell them.

Maybe you're the one who should review the tax regs.

I'm realizing gains on the sale of gold bullion in order to capture the tax credit, so my tax liability is ZERO on the sale of assets. Better yet, the credit rolls over for the next 10 years.

And I get to re-invest (or spend) the nice pile of cash that comes from the sale of the gold bullion.

So easy to understand. Why is this hard for you? I'm trying to give you some good advice.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2024 6:29AM

You have to spend 80k on solar panels, that MIGHT, recoup your investment in 20 years, by which time you will most likely be dead. The new owner of your house when it is sold won't want those ugly and outdated panels resulting in a lower value to your heirs. Thanks Dad.

So in reality, and I know that's a foreign concept for your ilk, you traded gold for solar panels. LOL.

And... you're collecting a govt handout. See, America ain't so bad.

Your still welcome for my tax dollars and thank you again for helping to increase the national debt.

Please don't offer me your advice.

• Options
    edited March 31, 2024 11:18AM

Unlike you, all of my decisions aren’t motivated by the profit motive.

Truth be told, trading some gold profits for solar may be the best insurance I’ve ever bought.

Don’t be so bitter. You’ve got it much better than your kids will have it.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@jmski52 said:
    Unlike you, all of my decisions aren’t motivated by the profit motive.

Interesting comment.

Don’t be so bitter. You’ve got it much better than your kids will have it.

Bitter as Key Lime pie. Yummy.

"What about the children", is what your generation should have thought about these last 45 years. Now you see your screw-ups and want to fix it. Given past historical decisions, your grandkids don't want your advice either. If they fail, then they fail, which would be better than the bailing out they've seen given to yours time and time again.

Our kids and grandkids are stronger than you think. They will survive just fine.

• Options

Your dislike of your elders is palpable in many of your posts. Don't worry, your turn is coming. You can't even see what's in front of you. I'll be focused on the topic at hand after this post. No more taking your bait.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

The nature of a debt-based system requires ever-increasing levels of debt. We're going exponential now, so expect the same chart for money creation, gold prices and stock prices ----- until a "reset".

Jim Sinclair (and Bill Holter) both hypothesized that the first "reset" will fail because of loss of confidence in the system, and that the second "reset" will be a return to sound money based on physical assets, similar to what Germany had to do in order to quench hyperinflation.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2024 10:27AM

@jmski52 said:
    The nature of a debt-based system requires ever-increasing levels of debt. We're going exponential now, so expect >the same chart for money creation, gold prices and stock prices ----- until a "reset". Jim Sinclair (and Bill Holter) both >hypothesized that the first "reset" will fail because of loss of confidence in the system, and that the second "reset" >will be areturn to sound money based on physical assets, similar to what Germany had to do in order to quench >hyperinflation.

But the "reset" is not likely to ever happen -- or certainly not in YOUR lifetime -- because of the dowwnard stickiness of wages and prices. This was the conundrum and failed expectation that hit the supporters of the Gold Standard in the 1930's, expecting the populace and labor markets to act in the 1920's and 1930's like labor did prior to World War I.

Even if you are ultimately proven right -- and I doubt it -- are you willing to suffer lousy investment returns for a few decades waiting for the financial market equivalent of those waiting for California to fall into the Pacific after The Big One ? :)

• Options

@GoldFinger1969 said:

But the "reset" is not likely to ever happen -- or certainly not in YOUR lifetime -- because of the downward stickiness of wages and prices.

The Reset has been going on since crisis of 2008. By design it is a slow process, one that goes unnoticed by most. Every economic step taken by the FED and the Treasury Department has a completely different economic landscape as the goal.

Rampant currency debasement will be the most important investment trend of this decade, and it will devastate most people.
    - Nick Giambruno
    Buy dollar insurance now, because the policy will cost more as the dollar becomes worth less.

• Options

@derryb said:
    The Reset has been going on since crisis of 2008. By design it is a slow process, one that goes unnoticed by most. >Every economic step taken by the FED and the Treasury Department has a completely different economic landscape >as the goal.

What "reset" ? Where ?

Read Ambrose Evans-Pritchard's recent column:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/03/19/central-banks-face-horrible-choice-warns-bernard-connolly/

• Options

But the "reset" is not likely to ever happen -- or certainly not in YOUR lifetime -- because of the downward stickiness of wages and prices.

Okay then - what do Dimon and Powell and Fink mean when they say that the system is unsustainable? Even if they raise taxes and cut entitlements it's too late to fix anything.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@derryb said:
    The Reset has been going on since crisis of 2008. By design it is a slow process, one that goes unnoticed by most. >Every economic step taken by the FED and the Treasury Department has a completely different economic landscape >as the goal.

What "reset" ? Where ?

The Reset is politically driven. It involves reallocation of money to things like climate change: It dictates what you can and cannot have (a gas stove, or eventually your combustion engine car?). It outlaws gasoline powered lawn tools.

The FED is not independent. It's existence is to make money available to the wealthiest of us and more importantly to politicians and the lobbyist who own them. The FED makes its moves (interest rates, etc) to please the current residents of Washington.

The Reset is about to completely change your private bank accounts. With the coming Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC)
    ALL of your money goes through a single payment process. Your CBDC can be switched on and off. Do your purchases indicate your carbon footprint is a size 16? "No gas for you for the rest of the month." It is scary to think that every purchase your make and every amount of money your receive will be monitored and recorded. Endless political and corporate uses for this data, not to mention the end to your privacy.

The international power of the dollar is being intentional eroded by it's creators. One must ask, "Why?"

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2024 3:02PM

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@derryb said:

What "reset" ? Where ?

I think they both are referring to the tin foil reset experienced down in the bunker. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    edited April 2, 2024 5:39PM

@jmski52 said:
    Your dislike of your elders is palpable in many of your posts. Don't worry, your turn is coming. You can't even see what's in front of you. I'll be focused on the topic at hand after this post. No more taking your bait.

Any different than the dislike you extend to those generations after you? More of the same hypocrisy from your ilk.

Fact...debt has exploded the last 45 years. What has been the largest voting demographic during that time?

I'm not "disliking" anyone. Just showing you how it is. How those with blinders have benefitted from the massive debt build, then complain there is too much debt. So comical, so sad.

There's no bait. Just facts.

• Options

Thread is beginning to remind me of the Matrix. Think I'll go watch it again.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

Armstrong:

"Central banks are buying gold because the Neocons have weaponized the dollar. Central banks are buying gold because the USD is political."

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

@derryb said:
    Armstrong:

"Central banks are buying gold because the Neocons have weaponized the dollar. Central banks are buying gold because the USD is political."

Or maybe because the US economy is so much stronger than the rest of the world. This is creating a huge interest rate differential and a strong dollar, thus crushing other currencies.

Currency Angst Goes Global as Strong Dollar Vexes Officials https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-04-04/currency-angst-is-going-global-as-strong-dollar-vexes-markets

Unless there surely is no politics in other countries. Other central banks surely don't "print money out of thin air" or manipulate interest rates, or intervene directly in currency markets. Yup, no politics in other countries, and certainly no weapons. No way. Lol

• Options
    edited April 7, 2024 3:59PM

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:
    Armstrong:

Or maybe because the US economy is so much stronger than the rest of the world. This is creating a huge interest rate differential and a strong dollar, thus crushing other currencies.

Had a friend who tried to fix me up with his really, really, really ugly sister. When I was introduced to her she was with her friends who were all even uglier. Sorry, didn't make the sister any less ugly. And so goes the battle of which currency is "stronger," the prettiest one is still quite ugly.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:
    Armstrong:

Had a friend who tried to fix me up with his really, really, really ugly sister. When I was introduced to her she was with her friends who were all even uglier. Sorry, didn't make the sister any less ugly. And so goes the battle of which currency is "stronger," the prettiest one is still quite ugly.

So your story goes. Did you ever stop to think, perhaps it was you that was the ugliest one? RGDS!

• Options

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    csdotcsdot Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

Who says you need a reason? B)

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

Feb 28th I posted "you won't get an argument from me. I could think of a couple thousand reasons to buy."
    Fast forward 5 weeks

I can think of another 350 reasons. :blush:

• Options
    edited April 8, 2024 6:16AM

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:
    Armstrong:

And you turned away the most devoted, most loving, most caring and compassionate, intelligent and wise woman you'd ever meet. And she's a great cook.

No wonder you see despair everywhere.

• Options

Gold might be sniffing out a Trump victory. More tariffs mean continued inflation. Extention of current tax regime meaning larger deficits and "money printing out of thin air". Perhaps an increased influence over the Fed to lower rates thus blowing the bubble much larger.

There are also several social psychological issues that will profilerate and compound that I will not get into here.

• Options
    edited April 8, 2024 6:34AM

Gold sure isn’t going up because things are great and getting better, and it has nothing to do with Trump. It has to do with “here and now”.

Gold is going up in response to what’s already going on with the Fed’s behind-the-back massive money creation and Congress’s addiction to buying votes. It’s going up because of a global loss of confidence in fiat currencies.

Financial mismanagement at its finest, orchestrated by the US Fed.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 8, 2024 6:44AM

It's going up because it has never been properly valued.well circa 1933 it was close. For decades my own family tells me it's too expensive. For over a half century I've been wondering why.

• Options

Anything that goes from $20 to $35 to $800 is a great example of what results from price manipulation.

Now we’re seeing a similar reaction to another decades-long manipulation, only with much bigger numbers.

And it’s not over until the banking system rolls out their CBDC scam which is intended as a control system, on the same order as China’s social credit scoring system.

Get away from reliance on the banking system. They are nobody’s friend but themselves. Use Cash. Stack gold & silver for safekeeping. “Neither a borrower nor a lender be.” - Benjamin Franklin.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2024 5:05AM

@jmski52 said:
    Gold sure isn’t going up because things are great and getting better, and it has nothing to do with Trump. It has to do with “here and now”.

Asset prices never look at the here and now. Prices are influenced by investors looking to the future. The Trump tax cuts of 2017 expire in 2025 (except for those cuts that benefit the wealthy, interesting eh?). In any case, a non-continuation of those cuts will be seen as a tax-hike. And who wants to be known as the one who raised taxes? Also, tariffs are a tax on the consumer. They increase the costs of goods coming into the USA. YOU, pay for that. Biden continued the Trump tariffs. Trump wants to increase them. Bottom line is inflation will remain persistent, and depending on the next regime, has the potential to increase. PM investors may finally be sniffing this out.

This is not a political comment, just illustrating the effects of legislative policy on PM pricing.

• Options

CRE is certainly influenced by the here & now, considering that major properties are selling for a fraction of their purchase prices just a few years earlier.

Gold is currently rising now because of Asian (and BRICS) buying in recognition of US debt and spending mismanagement that has come home to roost.

Gold’s rise has little to do with tax policy but it does have to do with “money” created out of nothing by the Federal Reserve for spending by gov.com - on whatever idiotic ideas & wars that they want to waste it on.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited April 9, 2024 12:04PM

@jmski52 said:
    Gold is currently rising now because of Asian (and BRICS) buying in recognition of US debt and spending >mismanagement that has come home to roost.

You think the U.S. has "mismanaged" things compared to most of those countries ? The BRICs ?

Please. :D

Gold is being bought because it is underowned and "cheap" relative to other asset classes. And it's something CB's can buy, unlike NVDA or AMD stock.

Oh yeah....the supply/demand fundamentals I've talked about since last Summer are starting to exert their influence. :D

Gold’s rise has little to do with tax policy but it does have to do with “money” created out of nothing by the Federal
    Reserve for spending by gov.com - on whatever idiotic ideas & wars that they want to waste it on.

Both false, as we've had each for DECADES and gold SUCKED as an investment.

• Options

@cohodk said:
    The Trump tax cuts of 2017 expire in 2025 (except for those cuts that benefit the wealthy, interesting eh?).

They ALL expire. And since most benefit "the rich" -- a group that votes for the other party from Trump though you won't hear that from the financially ignorant media -- they hurt the upper income brackets.

And who wants to be known as the one who raised taxes? Also, tariffs are a tax on the consumer. They increase >the costs of goods coming into the USA. YOU, pay for that. Biden continued the Trump tariffs. Trump wants to >increase them. Bottom line is inflation will remain persistent, and depending on the next regime, has the potential >to increase. PM investors may finally be sniffing this out.
    This is not a political comment, just illustrating the effects of legislative policy on PM pricing.

You are correct on all those assertions...but it won't matter. Folks who value getting debt cancelled or other handouts and goodies (i.e, UAW, Teamsters, public employee unions) don't care about "tax cuts."

They care about PORK !! And not the beef or chicken substitute !! :D

• Options
    edited April 9, 2024 12:22PM

@GoldFinger1969 said:

Gold is being bought because it is underowned and "cheap" relative to other asset classes. And it's something CB's can buy, unlike NVDA or AMD stock.

gold has been under owned and cheap relative to other asset classes for decades. Something else is suddenly driving gold. Most likely fear of what is happening to the currencies it is priced in.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

@derryb said:

Most likely fear of what is happening to the currencies it is priced in.

Everything revolves around fear, right derryb? Make 'em scared about them or the other guy or other country, and we can control and manipulate. What a brilliant plan most succumb to.

• Options

It's always doom and gloom down in the bunker. Sun, fresh air and a dose of reality is a wonderful place to be. The doomsdayers should give it a try. RGDS!

• Options

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

Everything revolves around fear, right derryb?

Well, obviously the price of gold revolves around fear

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

@blitzdude said:
    It's always doom and gloom down in the bunker. Sun, fresh air and a dose of reality is a wonderful place to be. The doomsdayers should give it a try. RGDS!

The rapid rise in gold price tells us the bunker is correct. LOL

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:

The price of everything has rapidly risen, not just goods and commodities but wages, bank accounts etc. Even the cost of your bunker. The Metal of Kings is simply playing catchup. RGDS!

• Options

@derryb said:
    gold has been under owned and cheap relative to other asset classes for decades. Something else is suddenly > driving gold. Most likely fear of what is happening to the currencies it is priced in.

Gold was NOT cheap in 1980. It sold for the same level as the DJIA.

Last I checked today, the DJIA was 38,000. :D

• Options

@derryb said:

It's not rapid. It's a small steady step-by-step move up.

Gold went up 20-fold in the 1970's. Gold went up 6-fold in 10 years in the 2000's.

You have NOTHING approaching those moves until gold is close to $5,000 an ounce. :o

• Options

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@derryb said:
    gold has been under owned and cheap relative to other asset classes for decades. Something else is suddenly > driving gold. Most likely fear of what is happening to the currencies it is priced in.

Have you considered that maybe the DJIA is overvalued? LOL

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@derryb said:

It's not rapid. It's a small steady step-by-step move up.

it has made a pretty impressive jump in just the last week. Rapid? yes.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

You are the one who sees every comment on here as "doomsday".
    Major shifts in financial flows are neither "doomsday" nor "conspiracy".
    They are inevitable.

• Options

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

Everything revolves around fear, right derryb?

Well, obviously the price of gold revolves around fear

• Options

@dcarr said:

@blitzdude said:

You are the one who sees every comment on here as "doomsday".
    Major shifts in financial flows are neither "doomsday" nor "conspiracy".
    They are inevitable.

If something is inevitable then why so scared?

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@derryb said:

Equities were grossly undervalued in 1980 and gold was grossly overvalued....as evidenced by the returns of each during the following 2 decades. Both have similar returns during the last 20 years.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:
    Everything revolves around fear, right derryb? Make 'em scared about them or the other guy or other country, and we can control and manipulate. What a brilliant plan most succumb to.

More doom and gloom. Sounds like you are afraid. Afraid of losing business.

• Options
    edited April 11, 2024 5:43AM

You think the U.S. has "mismanaged" things compared to most of those countries ? The BRICs ?

Please

Yeah, MISMANAGED. I don’t compare the currencies between countries in my analysis because in a currency war, they ALL go to zero when they are “managed” by a central bank.

Central Bank mismanagement in other countries is a poor gauge by which to measure mismanagement by the Fed or the ECB (and case in point - Japan).

Fact is that the BRICs are all motivated to step away from trading in dollars (especially for oil) and they’ve come to the realization that their holdings in US Treasuries have lost value in the same way that US banks are in trouble because they have lost so much money in 10-year T-bills after rates changed direction and went up. All without having to adhere to a reserve requirement. Why hedge when you know that taxpayers will always be compelled to bail you out? That takes arrogance and a special lack of talent!

Mismanaged.

We’re heading for $4 trillion more in the hole within a year and as money velocity picks up it will mostly get monetized, causing more “transitory” inflation. /sarc off . That is the main reason that gold is being bought.

Mismanaged.

The Fed will have a harder time now finding new debtors to suck into their system. Looks like US taxpayers will be backing even more Treasury issues. Should be interesting when interest rates keep going up & up so that “somebody” will buy them. Ouch! That’ll leave a mark on wage earners/savers/taxpayers!

Mismanaged.

All that usually happens is that every government departmental budget gets pumped up higher, tax burdens increase and the (special interest) spending numbers keep rising exponentially while the domestic (productive) economy shrivels up and normal middle class things get WAY more expensive while citizenship-type benefits of every kind start to disappear.

Mismanaged. Yes, very much so.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

More doom and gloom. Sounds like you are afraid. Afraid of losing business.

Really having trouble following (understanding) you anymore.

• Options

The FED is in the unique position of having its mismanagement directly affect other economies. Central Banks that follow the FED's lead are slowly learning not to.

- Nick Giambruno

• Options

You guys have no experience in monetary policy or Fed Watching.

You're like a guy who criticizes the medical establishment without an MD.