Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Bolivian Republic Minor Coinage (1827-1863) Master Thread

SimonWSimonW Posts: 634 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 26, 2024 3:27PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I would like to start a perpetual discussion about the Bolivian Republic Coinage (1827-1863.) The minor coinage doesn't get a lot of attention, which is good and bad in different ways, mostly good because I can pick-up really rare coins with very little competition, bad because there's not a whole lot of information about these coins. The 8 Soles are important too, and owing to the fact that most owners of Bolivian republic coinage have a single example and it's in the 8 sol category, I have decided to create a separate thread for just those coins, so as to not turn this thread into a 8 sol thread.

This thread is about education. Feel free to post pics, that's very welcome, but if you know anything about the coin, that's even better. I'm trying to expand my own knowledge and hopefully the knowledge of anyone who reads this also!

I fully realize this may turn into a thread that I alone post on, and that's ok, lol!

So here's my first pic. This is a coin from the La Paz mint. 1855 1/2 sol, it's a little guy, Graded AU50 by our host. This is frequently referred to as the "Ugly Head" because, well, it's ugly. This is deemed "rare" in Krause, but I don't think it's quite rare enough to deserve that appellation. It is certainly quite uncommon, this isn't the highest graded one out there, but it is quite a nice example. They don't come up all that often. There is a another version of this date from the La Paz mint, which is a little more common, sometimes referred to as the "Paz Head" (as seen below)

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

Comments

• Options
    edited February 27, 2024 11:48AM

@Coinlover101 said:
    I recently picked up this Paz 4 Soles.

It's an interesting series and one that I'm happy to learn more about. :)

Nice!

For anyone not familiar with this issue, it tends to come very well struck on the bust, as in this case, frequently it also has a healthy dose of die rust in front of Bolivar’s face, as seen here. A nice grade. An uncommon piece.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2024 10:20AM
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2024 9:49AM

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

1858/7 Sol, La Paz mint. This is the less common of the two major varieties. Both the overdate and the plain date carry the same assayer’s mark, FJ.

• Options
    Coinlover101Coinlover101 Posts: 12
    edited March 4, 2024 7:24AM

I just received this in the post and looks very nice in hand.

A little toned problem free 1 Sol 1828.

Peace

• Options

@Coinlover101 that’s a very attractive piece! One date I don’t have yet.

• Options
    edited March 6, 2024 7:52PM

This is the elusive 1827 2 soles. I’ve yet to find a really nice example, I have found two somewhat impaired pieces, however. One a straight grade despite some old toned over scratches , the other a VF details for tooling (I’d personally call it an XF.)

NGC census lists:
    Straight Graded: VG and an MS62
    Details: VF, AU and UNC

PCGS census lists:
    Straight Graded: F12 (shown below) VF35
    Details: VF (possibly more, they don’t seem to list details coins.)

A couple of these might be resubmissions, so we’re looking at 8 in TPG census, maybe as few as 6. A long time Bolivia collector I know thinks the survival rates are in the ten to twenty piece range, I think it’s more than that, but not by a lot, it’s a fairly rare coin.

• Options
    edited March 10, 2024 3:22PM

This is the little sister to the coin above. The only one I’ve been offered or seen for sale is the coin seen here. I’m not aware of any major varieties for this denomination and date, but studying the die varieties will be interesting, to see if anything major pops up.

Seemingly fairly rare, but there are some really nice high grade examples out there, which seems opposite from the 2 Sol version.

A very pretty example for the grade, PCGS VF30, I hope to upgrade eventually.

• Options
    edited March 17, 2024 2:34PM

These later date 1/2 Sol coins can be quite attractive. They seem to be available enough to satisfy current collector demand in grades up through choice uncirculated condition with a little patience. They tend to come with oodles of luster and, when toned are frequently quite charming. Strikes are kinda mushy, but I think that's just the design rather than the strike. Maybe some of both.

This one is an MS63 from the Dr. Parra collection. 1862. There's an overdate variety, an 1862/1, as well.

• Options
    edited April 5, 2024 11:50AM

This is another tough one. 1854 PAZ 2 Sol, F-VF in grade. Probably the most available of the 2 Sol coins from the Paz mint. Very tough though. A dozen or so certified between the two services.