Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Coins of 1874 ~ Official Thread

Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 18, 2024 8:57PM in U.S. Coin Forum

The coinage of 1874 isn't as interesting as preceding years. 1873 saw the elimination of the 2c piece, 3c silver, half dime, and standard dollar, and the introduction of the trade dollar, along with a weight standard change for minor silver coins resulting in arrows and no arrows varieties. The 1874 coinage is mundane by comparison. In my chosen collecting area, seated quarters, 1874 offers a respite from the super rarities of the series, since no Carson City quarters were coined. The 1874-cc dime is the key to the seated dime set however. Overall, 1874 has it's share of scarce coins and is often overlooked following in the footsteps of the 1873 issues.

Comments

• Options
    ChangeInHistoryChangeInHistory Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2024 7:36AM

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2024 8:20AM

Interesting mule.

Edited to add that I love the half dollar reverse. That's a choice Fine.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

No longer mine, and no longer raw, it went to a forum member last year:

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2024 3:44PM

Comparing WB2 (Obverse 2) with WB5 (Obverse 1) - note the location and orientation of the arrows relative to the date.

WB2 - right arrow even with "4," left arrow shaft points to serif of "1"

WB5 - right arrow below top of "4," left arrow shaft points to below serif of "1"

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    LJenkins11LJenkins11 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭✭✭

To say the 1874-S 50C is challenging is an understatement, especially in nice original circulated examples. ... I'm still in pursuit of one.

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 19, 2024 1:49PM

Dirty old gold 1874-CC $5 bugger in nose variety.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautifully toned 3* rated IHC

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread, and what an amazing group of coins!

• Options
    CrepidoderaCrepidodera Posts: 297 ✭✭✭✭✭

PCGS VF35 gold CAC

NGC AU58 CAC

• Options
    BloodManBloodMan Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

1874 $20 NGC AU58 CAC ex Eliasberg

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ex jesbroken 1874 w/arrows. ;)
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2024 4:39AM

@Walkerguy21D said:
    No longer mine, and no longer raw, it went to a forum member last year:

I think my 1874 is THIS coin (just look at the placement of the few tiny carbon flecks on the obverse).

I bought it from @Relaxn in May 2022. This was used to help complete my “Unique” Indian Head Cent set, where every coin merits both a CAC sticker AND an Eagle Eye Photo Seal! Redundant? Absolutely. But I learned that JA of CAC and Rick Snow put different “weights” on each of the various factors used to judge a coin. As such, that’s why CAC will not sticker some coins with a Photo Seal, and Rick will not PS some coins with a CAC sticker. Having each coin merit BOTH stickers is having the best of both worlds!

I asked for help on this forum in putting my set together. @Relaxn emailed me photos of this coin raw, and I let him know I would pay him handsomely if it graded at least MS65RB, AND got BOTH stickers. Sure enough, it did!

Rick Snow’s PDS Score for this coin is 14 (4,5,5), and Rick says it’s 85% Red (15 is the top PDS score). My set is currently ranked #6.

Thanks again for your help!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trade $'s
  • Options

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trade $'s