Home U.S. Coin Forum

I am Assigning This Bust Dime a Grade of Fine 15 - Do You Agree?

EddiEddi Posts: 439 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please let me know what you think.

Looking forward to your comments and opinions.

Thanks,

Comments

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

F15 sounds fair and would get no argument from me. It's close to VF and the little used F18 might be appropriate. Nice, wholesome looking example. I do wonder why the upper rims look a touch yellowish and assume it is the lighting?

• EddiEddi Posts: 439 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VanHalen , thank you for your input. I was thinking it is ever so close to VF20, but not quite. Therefore F15 would be appropriate. I was not aware that F18 is an official grade? (not that I know anything about about grading companies and their norms....)

I apologize for the tinge of yellow - I think it is due to the poor/dim natural lighting (daylight lighting conditions here in rainy Europe have not been the best lately.)

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it looks about right to me, good eye

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, a solid strong F15.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, Fine-15 with original surfaces, which is actually more important that the grade. Many of these pieces have been messed with.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very solid F15 and an easy sell at that grade.

All glory is fleeting.
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree. You chose the correct grade.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree also

• originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭✭

We're all in agreement, a nice coin!

• RYKRYK Posts: 35,753 ✭✭✭✭✭

+1 in agreement with the OP

"There are no called strikes in coin collecting."--Henry David Thoreau RYK
  • DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might be a gold sticker F15, if you ask me.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Farmer1961Farmer1961 Posts: 166 ✭✭✭

I actually think NGC and PCGS would grade it VF20. F15 is the minimum grade.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin. "Fine" indeed.

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it at VF20.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2024 5:34PM

Sure why not? Looks nice to me. Now put a price on it.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

great date - I feel its slightly better than a fine 15- Having said that, I would suggest getting it cac

Easton Collection
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could go either way ... 15 or 20 ... where 18 (as suggested) is probably spot on then (although I don't think this is a grade the TPG's use).

No matter what you call it though (of those grades), the coin is a premium example, as the surfaces are superior to most.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have literally invented several grades used today and I have never heard of 18 being used. Fine-15+ works for me.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 515 ✭✭✭✭

A very nice dime

• VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Eddi said:
    @VanHalen , thank you for your input. I was thinking it is ever so close to VF20, but not quite. Therefore F15 would be appropriate. I was not aware that F18 is an official grade? (not that I know anything about about grading companies and their norms....)

I apologize for the tinge of yellow - I think it is due to the poor/dim natural lighting (daylight lighting conditions here in rainy Europe have not been the best lately.)

F18 is not an official grade. I've seen it used informally in the past and it seems to apply here.

• marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, agreed a nice solid 15 indeed.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely more meat than a 12! I like to see a stronger delineation of the hair and the Bust to assign 20... F15 look about right...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file