Home Sports Talk

Does Brock Purdy suck?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

A lot of talk about Brock Purdy around here lately, what do you think?

Does Brock Purdy suck?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, he is a leader and the future of the 49ers

I will go first. from what I have seen, Purdy has some good arm talent, pretty good speed and has leadership skills as it seems that his teammates like him and play hard for him. He also seems to be a good decision maker and thinks pretty fast on his feet. His statistics bear this out. he had a great season.

Is he the next Dan Marino or Arod? probably not.

is he the next Tommy, definitely not. I will be watching his career with interest. while I wouldnt call myself a Purdvert, I am a fan.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2024 2:59PM

Ofcourse he doesn't

He is succeeding in leading his team to the Super Bowl, if he sucked they would not have made it this far.

I'm not a 49'er fan either way but they do have a good team obviously and that helps Purdy but you can't hold it against him

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no clue if he sucks.

The Sports Forum has opined that he is "not very good". To encourage discussion on the Sports Talk forum, my recent posts mostly have echoed this assessment.

45 years ago Joe Montana was assessed in the same way, "not very good". It turns out that Montana was not "not very good" and instead was and is among the greats.

Following Purdy's career may turn out to be very interesting.

• Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭✭

He doesnt suck, but he isnt elite either.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@perkdog said:
    Ofcourse he doesn't

He is succeeding in leading his team to the Super Bowl, if he sucked they would not have made it this far.

Trent Dilfer won a SB. Eli was terrible and lead the league in INTs in 2007 when he won his first SB. Making the SB is a team accomplishment

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember that during Elway's career he was criticized for not being able to win the big game (Superbowl) in 1987, 1988 and 1990 (when those Denver teams had less than stellar talent). In other words "Elway is not very good because he can not win the big one".

Then in 1998 and 1999 when Elway's Denver teams beat Green Bay and Atlanta in the Superbowl, Elway was criticized again as "not being very good" since the only reason he won the big one was that he had very talented players on the team.

I thought Mr. Ed was a great QB.

Elway criticisms for that were just silly. Rivers and Marino get criticized for that as well just like some QBs like Eli get elevated to a level they shouldnt be because of rings. A lot of people credit QBs for team success and blame them when they lose even with it being a 53 man roster that has 10 other offensive players on the field and defense and special teams exist as well

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2024 7:58PM

Purdy is better in his 2nd year than anyone who ever played qb for the Carolina Panthers ;) . As I have said all along with him the key word is poise. That is spelled P-O-I-S-E. Alot of doubters out there, he may not win this SB, he may not play great, but he might play great and win it. Either way, his future is pretty darn strong in the right system and the right team, and all qbs need those 2 ingredients to thrive. When SF needed to come back against Dee-troit, they needed some luck, got it, but then had to execute and have a qb direct the plays to come back. Purdy did so, 2 key runs, lotsa good passes, and commanded the team. I'll take him over any qb in the league at this time. (Okay once Harbaugh gets the Chargers straightened out, I might be sayin' that about Herbert).

DD you are just jealous bc Caronlina Panthers suck and pretty much always have and probably always will unless they start doing a better job with management and infrastructure ;)

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/
    edited January 30, 2024 8:05PM

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:
    Ofcourse he doesn't

Trent Dilfer won a SB. Eli was terrible and lead the league in INTs in 2007 when he won his first SB. Making the SB is a team accomplishment

Nice Foles played well enough to win a Super Bowl as well, Brad Johnson and Jeff Hostetler, oh and Doug Williams too.

So sure I see the flip side of it, but none of those guys mentioned played like crap during the playoffs then they all faded except for Eli maybe since he QB'ed another Super Bowl team.

Purdy has been a starter for 2 Seasons and has 1.5 NFC Championship games under his belt as a full time starter, I say he is good

Like you said not Elite but 2 years and 2 NFC Championship games is pretty consistent, great team or not he is leading the team

Purdy has no Jerry Rice, has no John Taylor, yet he still surpassed both Montana and Young this year and have the Niners in the SB. His team-mates are pretty good, and of course McCaffrey, who was abandoned by the Carolina Panthers, is thriving as a Niner. Yet bc he wasn't the top draft pick like Mr. Young (who is totally dismal) for Carolina, folks are going to doubt him. No matter, he was number 1 this in in the NFL. Stats don't lie folks.

Er where is Bryce Young? Doh he is down at the bottom, #29, only Zach Wilson is beneath him. Nice job Carolina, Niners found the Gem picking last in the whole draft and you can't even compete with the #1 pick.

@spacehayduke I don't think DD is claiming Purdy sucks at all, a couple posters have been debating this and it looks like DD is just doing his job of starting threads that gain traction 🤷

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:
    Ofcourse he doesn't

Nice Foles played well enough to win a Super Bowl as well, Brad Johnson and Jeff Hostetler, oh and Doug Williams too.

So sure I see the flip side of it, but none of those guys mentioned played like crap during the playoffs then they all faded except for Eli maybe since he QB'ed another Super Bowl team.

Purdy has been a starter for 2 Seasons and has 1.5 NFC Championship games under his belt as a full time starter, I say he is good

Like you said not Elite but 2 years and 2 NFC Championship games is pretty consistent, great team or not he is leading the team

I agree that hes doing what he should be doing for the most part in the position that hes in. You certainly dont always need a QB to take over a game to win or try and carry a team. I had the 49ers in the SB last year until they had no QB at all against the Eagles. I would put the 49ers roster against anyones offensively other than the QB spot for skill positions and the Vikings for WRs when healthy.

My thing with Purdy discussions which has always been it is when people start saying hes elite or one of the best type things. I also dont like the whole QBs get all the credit and all the blame for team accomplishments things, but thats a different discussion.

The 49ers roster is for sure good enough to win it all. I think the Chiefs will win it, but the 49ers have several players that could just go off and put up a bunch of points.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

edited January 31, 2024 4:18AM

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:
    Ofcourse he doesn't

I agree that hes doing what he should be doing for the most part in the position that hes in. You certainly dont always need a QB to take over a game to win or try and carry a team. I had the 49ers in the SB last year until they had no QB at all against the Eagles. I would put the 49ers roster against anyones offensively other than the QB spot for skill positions and the Vikings for WRs when healthy.

My thing with Purdy discussions which has always been it is when people start saying hes elite or one of the best type things. I also dont like the whole QBs get all the credit and all the blame for team accomplishments things, but thats a different discussion.

The 49ers roster is for sure good enough to win it all. I think the Chiefs will win it, but the 49ers have several players that could just go off and put up a bunch of points.

Not a chance I would say he is elite, maybe he could be at some point but to your point it's unrealistic to say he is right now given the stacked team he is on.

But he doesn't suck though

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. Not sure if he’s all that. At the moment the film on him is limited. It’s too early to tell if he’s all that. Remember we’ve seen flashes of greatness from QB’s and all the sudden their weaknesses are exposed. Any one heard of Minshew Madness?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • 1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2024 7:16AM

He is getting the job done both individually and team wise, both in the regular season and the playoffs. Gotta give him some credit. Bradshaw and Aikman get a ton of credit and they had a better supporting cast than Purdy. Montana and Young both had better supporting casts too.

Kurt Warner was gifted with the greatest foursome of receivers ever combined on his teams in STL and ARZ(Bruce, Holt, Boldin, and Fitzgerald. Add Marshall Faulk too).

Tua has better receivers this year. So did Burrow last couple years. Mahomes did too when he had Hill and Kelce. Etc..

The kid Purdy is making the throws and even some key runs.

I am surprised Purdy isn't receiving more love being that he is a true underdog.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke, I am actually a fan of Brock Purdy, @perkdog is correct, I only started this thread because I've seen a lot of Brock Purdy talk lately, just trying to see what everyone's opinion is about him. As far as the Panthers are concerned, yes I know they suck, I am used to them being the worst team in the league, so you cannot hurt me with Panthers insults. But I will say this about my Panthers, Cam Newton was a pretty good quarterback for a while, and he starred in a mega blockbuster movie, so call me when Brock Purdy goes Hollywood!

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

The new normal- - -excuse a QB’s talent and accomplishments by saying it’s all the talent around him that makes HIM so good.

It just needs to be said that for whatever reason, Brock Purdy flew under the radar and when his call came he answered it and performed to a very high level. His talent didn’t change or improve, those evaluating it pre-draft just missed it.

Don’t get all wadded up because I’m saying it, but the same thing happened with Tom Brady: didn’t have a standout College career, unimpressive at the combine/work outs, slipped to the bottom of the draft and proceeded to rewrite the history books.

I feel confident in saying that if Purdy hadn’t been injured in last seasons NFC Championship game that the subsequent Super Bowl LVII may have been different. Brock Purdy seems to have the intangible quality that Brady and Mahomes have: football charisma. It’s the quality that draws players to him and encouraged them to perform past there capabilities.

In short, Brock Purdy isn’t better because of the players around him, those players are better because of him.

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well he's been in the league two years and his TD to interception ratio is purdy good. And his QB rating is purdy good, and other stats are purdy good.

He led his team to a NFC title appearance last season before getting beat by a red hot Eagles team. And now he's going to the big show. Not sure how that meets the definition of "sucks."

Oh sorry, I misspelled pretty.

@perkdog said:
    @spacehayduke I don't think DD is claiming Purdy sucks at all, a couple posters have been debating this and it looks like DD is just doing his job of starting threads that gain traction 🤷

Ah, OK, Sorry DD thanks for starting the thread................

@doubledragon said:
    @spacehayduke, I am actually a fan of Brock Purdy, @perkdog is correct, I only started this thread because I've seen a lot of Brock Purdy talk lately, just trying to see what everyone's opinion is about him. As far as the Panthers are concerned, yes I know they suck, I am used to them being the worst team in the league, so you cannot hurt me with Panthers insults. But I will say this about my Panthers, Cam Newton was a pretty good quarterback for a while, and he starred in a mega blockbuster movie, so call me when Brock Purdy goes Hollywood!

Ok thanks - I thought you were making to poll to go after him sorry. Cam was good for a couple years I agree, but he did not sustain it and I think it was in part mental in part the system he was in.

But he can act! ;)

@Maywood said:
    The new normal- - -excuse a QB’s talent and accomplishments by saying it’s all the talent around him that makes HIM so good.

It just needs to be said that for whatever reason, Brock Purdy flew under the radar and when his call came he answered it and performed to a very high level. His talent didn’t change or improve, those evaluating it pre-draft just missed it.

Don’t get all wadded up because I’m saying it, but the same thing happened with Tom Brady: didn’t have a standout College career, unimpressive at the combine/work outs, slipped to the bottom of the draft and proceeded to rewrite the history books.

I feel confident in saying that if Purdy hadn’t been injured in last seasons NFC Championship game that the subsequent Super Bowl LVII may have been different. Brock Purdy seems to have the intangible quality that Brady and Mahomes have: football charisma. It’s the quality that draws players to him and encouraged them to perform past there capabilities.

In short, Brock Purdy isn’t better because of the players around him, those players are better because of him.

I remember it was noted in the scouting reports when he emerged last year that he was rated as having a weak arm and slow (at least at the NFL level). If that was the case he has seemed to correct those.

I recall Tom Brady saying that he gets paid for doing one thing - throwing the football.

Probably most have seen the video of his combine. Worst 40, worst vertical leap, worst arm, worst everything. It may have been the worst ever. However he turned out to be the best ever.

Yes, those "athletic" QB's are great in college. But many of them come to the NFL and they can't memorize the playbook, develop bad habits such as running instead of letting the play develop and throwing, they're more likely to sustain injuries, etc.

The old saying is everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the nose. Well a number of these QB's coming out of college have good stats, etc, until the first time a defensive killer flattens them. How they respond after that, whether they shake it off or can't handle it, goes a long way to determine a successful NFL QB. I mean a Mack truck could tackle Tom Brady, and he'd get up and be ready for the next play.

@Maywood said:

Nothing to.get amped up about, Brady was absolutely a fly under the radar player for sure

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2024 9:08AM

"Suck" is too strong of a word. I think that "overrated" would be more appropriate.

I expect that he will "underperform" in the just like Lamar Jackson did in the AFC playoff championship game.

Lamar Jackson is another guy who is overrated.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Another guy who "flew under the radar" with different circumstances is CJ Stroud. With him it was a little different, everything he did as a QB at Ohio State, all the film on him that was available was discounted because he scored poorly on a single, standardized cognitive test. The story out of that was he couldn't process information quickly enough to read NFL defenses. After that the campaign to describe him as a sure flop in the draft was underway. It was orchestrated to drop him in the draft and clear the way for Bryce Young to be the top prospect.

How'd that work out?? Certainly Stroud's body of work is only about 15 games but he shredded that test and the resulting narrative.

aside to @BillJones --- JMHO, but you should stick to coins(which you're good at) and leave QB assessment to the professionals!! :p

Just because you are fan of San Francisco and Brock Perdy does not make me wrong.

Baker Mayfield was good now and then with Tampa, and showed a lot guts last season with a lot less talent around him. Somebody will probably outbid Tampa for him, but that doesn't mean he'll take them to the Super Bowl.

Tampa, a team that could barely keep it's head above water last season, has lost its offensive coordinator who was hired away to Carolina, prematurely IMO, and will probably lose Mayfield and Mike Evans. The poor sometimes get poorer.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

@BillJones, I'm definitely not a "fan" of the 49ers although they have a spot in my heart as one of the transfers from the old AAFC in 1950. I'm pretty sure I'm on-record saying I thought the Lions game was a toss-up if Deebo Samuel didn't play and I had wrongly assumed that Baltimore would be the AFC SB LVIII representative and beat the 49ers. So no, I'm not a rah-rah supporter of them. However, I am a fan of Brock Purdy and think he's a little more than a short term Game Manager sort of guy. Barring injuries he'll be in place for awhile if the team keeps him. I don't see him as a flash-in-the-pan anomaly that will fail under pressure. But we shall see.

@Maywood said:
    @BillJones, I'm definitely not a "fan" of the 49ers although they have a spot in my heart as one of the transfers from the old AAFC in 1950. I'm pretty sure I'm on-record saying I thought the Lions game was a toss-up if Deebo Samuel didn't play and I had wrongly assumed that Baltimore would be the AFC SB LVIII representative and beat the 49ers. So no, I'm not a rah-rah supporter of them. However, I am a fan of Brock Purdy and think he's a little more than a short term Game Manager sort of guy. Barring injuries he'll be in place for awhile if the team keeps him. I don't see him as a flash-in-the-pan anomaly that will fail under pressure. But we shall see.

And San Francisco fans thought Colin Kaepernick would be a franchise player too. Of course Purdy is probably not a head case.

edited January 31, 2024 10:58AM

I'd call Kaepernick a man who believes in his principles and takes a stand on them. The fact that he was black-balled by the NFL, took them to court and won proves that he was correct, although in the long run it probably wasn't the best financial decision he could have made.

In hindsight, he could have compromised his principles, bowed down to the pressure and been financially enriched. Where I come from that's call sucking up/being bought/caving in. I personally admire Kaepernick more for his principles than anyone else for their money. Some things aren't for sale, just ask Colin. Another person you could ask resides over at the Coin Forum once as coinguy. He stood for his principles and got banned, an admirable stance. How do you view him??

FWIW, I think he was on track to be the 49ers franchise QB.

Kaepernick was dropped because he became a head case and could not longer play to professional football standards.

I'm not going to say any more because this has become political.

I'm not going to comment on Kaepernick's personal views. That being said, I think it's hilarious that he's still trying to get back into the NFL.

He bit the hand that was feeding him, he wasn't all that great to begin with, and he's already been out of the league a number of years.

The NFL bent over backwards by giving him an exclusive workout a few years ago. And then the guy doesn't even show-up for his own exclusive workout for crying out loud?

"head case" as BillJones stated - definitely! 😆

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭✭

"Another guy who "flew under the radar" with different circumstances is CJ Stroud"

Stroud was the #2 pick in the NFL draft...he did not fly under the radar in any shape or form.

Robb

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭✭

As for Purdy, he has had a great start to his career. Definitely in the right place with a QB friendly coach, exceptional defense, and lots of weapons around him.

The primary thing I don't like about him is how much he throws over the middle. I just don't think a lot of QBs are successful long term passing the way he does. Doesn't mean he won't continue to flourish but that is the red flag for me. He throws to open windows in the middle more frequently than any QB I have seen. Those throws are very susceptible to being intercepted if there is anything off with the throw (too high, short, late, etc) because there tend to be a lot of defenders around. It will be interesting to see how the 49ers offense evolves as the players around Purdy change.

Robb

edited January 31, 2024 2:44PM

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:

@Basebal21 said:

@perkdog said:
    Ofcourse he doesn't

Not a chance I would say he is elite, maybe he could be at some point but to your point it's unrealistic to say he is right now given the stacked team he is on.

But he doesn't suck though

For sure suck definitely isnt the right word for him, definitely not top 10 though. Late teens feels right for him

Wilson, Pickett, Riddler they suck, they dont have as much talent around them but they have enough they should be good and are just terrible.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:
    He is getting the job done both individually and team wise, both in the regular season and the playoffs. Gotta give him some credit. Bradshaw and Aikman get a ton of credit and they had a better supporting cast than Purdy. Montana and Young both had better supporting casts too.

Kurt Warner was gifted with the greatest foursome of receivers ever combined on his teams in STL and ARZ(Bruce, Holt, Boldin, and Fitzgerald. Add Marshall Faulk too).

Tua has better receivers this year. So did Burrow last couple years. Mahomes did too when he had Hill and Kelce. Etc..

I am surprised Purdy isn't receiving more love being that he is a true underdog.

You are vastly under estimating how talented the 49ers offense currently is. There are multiple HOF talented players on it. Williams could retire today and he would be in for sure. Theres at least 3 overall that should for sure make it barring some career ending injury and depending on how the HOF wants to treat a FB should be at least 4.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Maywood said:
    Another guy who "flew under the radar" with different circumstances is CJ Stroud. With him it was a little different, everything he did as a QB at Ohio State, all the film on him that was available was discounted because he scored poorly on a single, standardized cognitive test. The story out of that was he couldn't process information quickly enough to read NFL defenses. After that the campaign to describe him as a sure flop in the draft was underway. It was orchestrated to drop him in the draft and clear the way for Bryce Young to be the top prospect.

How'd that work out?? Certainly Stroud's body of work is only about 15 games but he shredded that test and the resulting narrative.

aside to @BillJones --- JMHO, but you should stick to coins(which you're good at) and leave QB assessment to the professionals!! :p

How is the 2nd overall pick a guy that flew under the radar?

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@fergie23 said:
    As for Purdy, he has had a great start to his career. Definitely in the right place with a QB friendly coach, exceptional defense, and lots of weapons around him.

The primary thing I don't like about him is how much he throws over the middle. I just don't think a lot of QBs are successful long term passing the way he does. Doesn't mean he won't continue to flourish but that is the red flag for me. He throws to open windows in the middle more frequently than any QB I have seen. Those throws are very susceptible to being intercepted if there is anything off with the throw (too high, short, late, etc) because there tend to be a lot of defenders around. It will be interesting to see how the 49ers offense evolves as the players around Purdy change.

Robb

The test will be how he adapts his game if the middle closes up. Right now, for him, there are wide open lanes in the middle - for WR's, TEs, and RB's. He mostly accurately hits them with the ball where it has to be thrown which is why there have been so few interceptions this year.

What all of the skeptics seem to forget is that first, he had the best QBR and QB rating of any qb this year. This is fact. Second, every qb is imperfect, even Mahomes and clearly we saw that Lamar Jackson has shortcomings. Third, yes he is playing in a system that is conducive to his work and has talent around him. Every qb needs that to thrive, and SF has been doing this for decades which is why they are at the top for SB appearances and wins. That should not be held against Purdy for excelling this year. Fourth, he is no Kapernick. He uses poise and intelligence whereas Kaper tried to use talent over P and I. Long term that will never work as Brady showed, you have to be smart at qb to thrive long term. So Purdy likely has a long-term stellar future ahead of him if he stays at SF. They have no reason to get rid of him so probably will have and that is good for Niner fans............

No worries here, we will be having these same conversations on Purdy for the next decade as he continues to excel at SF. I am just not sure what the criticisms will be at that time if he keeps racking up top numbers and wins.

@Basebal21 said:

You are vastly under estimating how talented the 49ers offense currently is. There are multiple HOF talented players on it. Williams could retire today and he would be in for sure. Theres at least 3 overall that should for sure make it barring some career ending injury and depending on how the HOF wants to treat a FB should be at least 4.

And yet Purdy had to make the throws to them and did so. Great to have talent around but also great to put up the #1 stats as qb, not 'middle of the pack' as you suggest in one post. #1. There are a heck of alot of average starting NFL qbs, and also elite qb's who had comparable talent around them and are not starting in the SB, so................. Josh Allen rings a bell...............

• 1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Basebal21 said:

I recognize how good they are. They are going to beat KC. All those other examples i mentioned are still true and the 49ers still excellent and right there. Yet those QB's get all the credit in the world and Purdy's individual performance this year and last year are right there or better than some of those QB's on those teams.

Gotta give the kid his due.

edited January 31, 2024 6:14PM

@spacehayduke said:

@Basebal21 said:

And yet Purdy had to make the throws to them and did so. Great to have talent around but also great to put up the #1 stats as qb, not 'middle of the pack' as you suggest in one post. #1. There are a heck of alot of average starting NFL qbs, and also elite qb's who had comparable talent around them and are not starting in the SB, so................. Josh Allen rings a bell...............

The 49ers have the most loaded offense in the league at all positions. Some teams like the Vikings have a better WR core, but dont have the RB and linemen to go with it. Purdy made some throws, he wasnt anything special at all and a huge chunk of his stats were a throw that should have been an INT. If the Lions played even competent football in the 3rd quarter they win that game. There was nothing special that Purdy did to win the game and the 49ers should have lost to the Packers as well.

There was nothing special Purdy did in either game, McCaffery was the offensive star in both games and Kittle breaking tackles in the Packers game. Both games also had multiple big mistakes by their opponents

By the way the stat that you are referencing saying Purdy was the #1 QB has Dak 2 and Cousins 3 not far behind him. Lamar is 4. No one would agree that is the 1-4 best QBs in the NFL

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Basebal21 said:

I recognize how good they are. They are going to beat KC. All those other examples i mentioned are still true and the 49ers still excellent and right there. Yet those QB's get all the credit in the world and Purdy's individual performance this year and last year are right there or better than some of those QB's on those teams.

Gotta give the kid his due.

One of the QBs you mentioned I put in the exact same category but theres been a ton of posts about him already.

I saw Purdy in college, and Ive seen what hes done now and realize how loaded the 49ers are offensively at the moment. I dont believe that he can come close when their offense breaks up which it will from a combination of age and cost. I think hes an average QB thats doing what he needs to manage a loaded offense that has also gotten lucky this year given that SF should have lost both their playoffs games so far that required a ton of mistakes from their opponents to win

I havent checked the spread yet but I expect KC to win the SB

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@fergie23 said: Stroud was the #2 pick in the NFL draft...he did not fly under the radar in any shape or form

What I meant was that he flew under the radar of the Carolina Panthers.

@Maywood said:
    @fergie23 said: Stroud was the #2 pick in the NFL draft...he did not fly under the radar in any shape or form

In what world would he have not been noticed by the Panthers?

They evaluated him and made a different pick. Had he gone there he would have been bad this year since the Panthers have nothing offensively and traded everything away to move up.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Maywood said:

Is that a surprise? Carolina management is the epitome of total ineptness - letting McCaffrey leave, qb after qb bad decisions, and on and on. Of course they would pick Young over Stroud, I was just hoping their dysfunction would cointinue and thankfully it did..........

edited January 31, 2024 9:05PM

Regarding the Panthers and Bryce Young, the consensus in most mock drafts was picking Young #1 so it wasn't just Carolina who was high on Young, they just had the 1st pick, I think most everyone had Young higher on their boards than Stroud

edited January 31, 2024 9:23PM

I said before the draft and stand by it whether it was Young or Stroud who ever went to Carolina was going to a very bad situation and whoever went to the Texans was probably going to do better.

Trading McCaffery to then trade up for a QB by Carolina in the same season makes no sense. Then in the trade up for the QB traded a bunch of draft picks and their only good WR as part of the trade up with Moore. Nothing about what that team did made any sense and whoever they drafted was set up to fail

Young was the right pick its just unfortunate he was the right pick and ended up in a dumpster fire

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@Basebal21 said:
    I said before the draft and stand by it whether it was Young or Stroud who ever went to Carolina was going to a very bad situation and whoever went to the Texans was probably going to do better.

Trading McCaffery to then trade up for a QB by Carolina in the same season makes no sense. Then in the trade up for the QB traded a bunch of draft picks and their only good WR as part of the trade up with Moore. Nothing about what that team did made any sense and whoever they drafted was set up to fail

Young was the right pick its just unfortunate he was the right pick and ended up in a dumpster fire

I don't know the Panthers situation as well as you seem to. However I do know that a bad team really should never trade their draft picks.

Of course the present bad teams GM's who do this are under a lot of pressure to win immediately. So they trade away their team's future for a remote possibility of winning next season with NFL retreads. The team's owner should realize all this, and nix the GM from trading draft picks. The owner should simply tell the GM to draft smart, and hire better coaches if necessary.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭✭✭

Generally a QB who is 17-4 in the regular season and 4-1 in the playoffs and is headed to the Super Bowl in his second season isn’t scrutinized like this.
    Where’s the why can’t Josh Allen get the Bills to the SB thread or why is Joe Burrow always injured thread? A thread that actually makes sense in other words.

@stevek said:

@Basebal21 said:

I don't know the Panthers situation as well as you seem to. However I do know that a bad team really should never trade their draft picks.

Of course the present bad teams GM's who do this are under a lot of pressure to win immediately. So they trade away their team's future for a remote possibility of winning next season with NFL retreads. The team's owner should realize all this, and nix the GM from trading draft picks. The owner should simply tell the GM to draft smart, and hire better coaches if necessary.

I get why GMs who may feel their job is on the line do it, but the Panthers have a bad owner too. Trading up paying a kings ransom really does seem to backfire a lot of the time if you dont already have a roster in place. It makes even less sense with how the Panthers were dumping talent and then moving up too.

If every trade up is going to bring as much as the Bears got in the Panthers trade every team with the first pick should just trade down.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

@perkdog said:
    Regarding the Panthers and Bryce Young, the consensus in most mock drafts was picking Young #1 so it wasn't just Carolina who was high on Young, they just had the 1st pick, I think most everyone had Young higher on their boards than Stroud.

I am not most, Young is too short to likely be a successful qb in the NFL. Normally it it is the bigger guys who will succeed, the Mahomes, Allen's, Herberts. I noted this then and was crossing my fingers that Young would go first so the Tejanos could get the taller, as as such, more potentially better, NFL qb. Glad it worked out that way................