Home Sports Talk

Does Brock Purdy suck?

2»

Comments

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, he is a leader and the future of the 49ers

@Basebal21 said:

I get why GMs who may feel their job is on the line do it, but the Panthers have a bad owner too. Trading up paying a kings ransom really does seem to backfire a lot of the time if you dont already have a roster in place. It makes even less sense with how the Panthers were dumping talent and then moving up too.

If every trade up is going to bring as much as the Bears got in the Panthers trade every team with the first pick should just trade down.

Dang. BB we agree on this! Maybe I should listen to you sometimes............ ;)

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/
  • Basebal21Basebal21 Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:

@Basebal21 said:

I get why GMs who may feel their job is on the line do it, but the Panthers have a bad owner too. Trading up paying a kings ransom really does seem to backfire a lot of the time if you dont already have a roster in place. It makes even less sense with how the Panthers were dumping talent and then moving up too.

If every trade up is going to bring as much as the Bears got in the Panthers trade every team with the first pick should just trade down.

Dang. BB we agree on this! Maybe I should listen to you sometimes............ ;)

I know it sounds weird to feel bad for someone making millions of dollars but I do a little bit for the position Carolina put Young in. SEC linemen arent all NFL caliber but the average height is there where his height shouldn't be an issue and Carolina really just hung him out to dry especially starting him right away and they dont even get that first pick for being that bad either.

I never like when teams just ruin players asking the impossible

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bryce Young a 5' 10" QB drafted as the #1 overall pick?

This has all the makings of being the worst draft bust in NFL history. And it was totally preventable.

edited February 1, 2024 8:33PM

@stevek said:

This has all the makings of being the worst draft bust in NFL history. And it was totally preventable.

He went to a team with nothing. Pick any QB you want they would be bad on that Carolina team

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

JaMarcus Russell says "hold my beer"

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:

JaMarcus Russell says "hold my beer"

As Ryan Leaf quietly leaves the room

• stevekstevek Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just read where the Carolina Panthers have their eye on drafting a 190 pound left tackle, who was a stud on his community college football team.

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

I said before the draft and stand by it whether it was Young or Stroud who ever went to Carolina was going to a very bad situation and whoever went to the Texans was probably going to do better

Bryce Young looked good at Alabama, just like Mac Jones looked good at Alabama. I would suppose both end up next to each other(along with many others) on the scrap heap of winning college QB's who were flops.

@Maywood said:
    I said before the draft and stand by it whether it was Young or Stroud who ever went to Carolina was going to a very bad situation and whoever went to the Texans was probably going to do better

Bryce Young looked good at Alabama, just like Mac Jones looked good at Alabama. I would suppose both end up next to each other(along with many others) on the scrap heap of winning college QB's who were flops.

The list is very long

@Maywood said:

Jones had 3 first round WRs on his roster including one that won the Heisman over him with Devonta Smith. He also had Najee Harris as his RB.

Youngs senior year he had Gibbs and his best WR was Jermaine Burton who is nothing special at all. The Bama WR core fell off drastically in 2022 after everyone had been drafted away.

Who ever went to Carolina was going to fail. They traded all their offensive talent away and just threw them to the wolves immediately.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

Back to Brock,

Montana talks Purdy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCMPc9a27DA

Debate on Purdy on ESPN. Woody has the most rational argument:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X60aRaCBWoA

The Purdy reveal by Shanahan during training camp YEAR 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQywNQmRf1E

Niners, Purdy, and Bosa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxtNzXAWA9A

edited February 6, 2024 7:55AM

I'm calling it now, Purdy will torch the Chiefs

34-23

• craig44craig44 Posts: 11,017 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I'm calling it now, Purdy will touch the Chiefs

34-23

I dont have any insider knowledge, but I am getting that feeling too. I did read that the 9ers DC was very unhappy with the effort of the defense against the lions. even jon lynch came down and addressed the effort on defense. I have an idea we will see a more driven defense against KC.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭

Some deep trivia. As of the end of the 2022 season Brock Purdy had played in more games at Allegiant Stadium than any other NFL QB other than Derek Carr. I work there so I have now seen him all these times (not that I recall the first two especially, lol):

Iowa State at UNLV - 2021
    East West Shrine Game - Jan. 2022
    49ers at Raiders Jan 1 2023

49ers at Raiders preseason Aug. 2023 (actually I think he was still injured but he was probably there)

Super Bowl (yes, I'll be there for this one also as an employee and not a fan)

• larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,062 ✭✭✭

Not sure why the font size is all messed up. :(

• countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe Mahomes has played in 4 regular season games at Allegiant Stadium since it opened. 4-0, by the way.

Maholmes is also 13-1 in his NFL career in indoor stadiums.

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭✭

"Young was the right pick"

Thus far, the take above appears to be completely wrong. Doesn't mean Young won't rebound and Stroud won't hit a rough patch but only one of these QBs was actually ready for the NFL.

As everyone knows, thriving in college regardless of which conference has very little bearing on how a QB will do in the NFL. It is not simply coaching and the team around a QB. The most important job a QB has is to correctly diagnose the defense at the snap. Thus far, Young has been atrocious at doing that which absolutely contributed to the number of sacks he took. Doesn't mean he won't have a leap as a 2nd year QB (he showed some flashes against the Packers at the end of the season) but most of the knocks against him before the draft showed up in his play on Sundays.

It is pretty clear that Young needed to ride the pine for a year or two before playing whereas Stroud did not.

Robb

@fergie23 said:
    "Young was the right pick"

Thus far, the take above appears to be completely wrong. Doesn't mean Young won't rebound and Stroud won't hit a rough patch but only one of these QBs was actually ready for the NFL.

As everyone knows, thriving in college regardless of which conference has very little bearing on how a QB will do in the NFL. It is not simply coaching and the team around a QB. The most important job a QB has is to correctly diagnose the defense at the snap. Thus far, Young has been atrocious at doing that which absolutely contributed to the number of sacks he took. Doesn't mean he won't have a leap as a 2nd year QB (he showed some flashes against the Packers at the end of the season) but most of the knocks against him before the draft showed up in his play on Sundays.

It is pretty clear that Young needed to ride the pine for a year or two before playing whereas Stroud did not.

Robb

Its not wrong at all. He was the right pick. As Ive said countless times whoever went to Carolina was going to fail and whoever went to Texans was going to do better. Just because one went to a terrible situation and the other a good one doesnt mean Young wasn't the more talented player and unfortunately Carolina has absolutely nothing around him at all.

Stroud would be every bit as bad if he was drafted by the Panthers, Theyre the one team that makes the Patriots skill players look talented

Missouri 14 OSU 3

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 12,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6, 2024 9:17PM

With respect to quarterbacks (at all levels of play from youth football to professional football) is that the better/best ones are those who:

1. are gifted athletically (speed; quickness; strength; ability to run well; throw well; see well; and move about well [to avoid being tackled]); and

2. are mentally gifted (highly developed sensory input; very fast mental processing of information; very fast mental decision making; plus fast mental output from the brain to the body resulting in a person possessed of the ability to read defenses prior to and during an offensive play; with the ability to evaluate multiple options available in an offensive play as they present themselves; and with the ability to choose which option to pursue and implement during the time that an offensive play takes place).

Many quarterbacks have one but not both of these gifts. It is interesting to see quarterbacks that are gifted athletically struggle due to the absence of mental abilities. You do not often see quarterbacks on the field that are mentally gifted but who lack the athletic gifts required to play the position.