Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I think UFFDAH needs to win this

Heritage auction I think.


«1

Comments

  • Seems not rare enough for his style. Maybe in 20 years.

    I'm sure some people with low pop high grades would hate to see those get ripped.

    Sure would be nice to see where those end up.

  • HidhoeHidhoe Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2024 4:32AM

    @JolleyWrencher said:
    Seems not rare enough for his style.

    A case of 1979 opc hockey isn’t rare ?
    Which planet are we referring to ? 😉

  • UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I saw that out on a Facebook group. Incredible find. Will be fun to watch and see what it goes for. Heritage Feb Platinum is loaded.

  • HidhoeHidhoe Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

    @Raptormaniacs said:
    If I was the seller, I would have slowly sold these boxes off (one at a time)….

    On the one hand now is not the best time to be selling wax boxes. A lot of guys who used to buy and rip are no longer doing that. Prices continue to tumble.
    On the other hand there could be a significant premium selling it as a full case.

  • HidhoeHidhoe Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

    with today’s grading standards that case has lost quite a bit of value

    Yesteryears 8’s and 9’s are now 6’s and 7’s with those rough cuts

  • coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

    Wow wow wow. What a find

  • HidhoeHidhoe Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2024 9:55AM

    They said $150,000 per box now.

    At best there’s a PSA 8 Gretzky per box. Odds are against a 2nd one.
    My guess is if you open that 150k box and grade the best cards you’ll get 20k in return at best. Grading fees, eBay fees, etc.

    I’m the high bidder on one of UFFDAH’s cards in the current auction.
    So far anyway.
    I would never purchase a 79 opc box.

  • HidhoeHidhoe Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

    @burghman said:
    Video attached to the HA listing showing Steve open and examine the case / boxes.

    https://youtu.be/5jNYyYZauko

    Thanks for sharing

  • UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2024 6:48AM
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @burghman said:
    Video attached to the HA listing showing Steve open and examine the case / boxes.

    https://youtu.be/5jNYyYZauko

    What,no armed guards?

    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @UFFDAH said:
    I saw that out on a Facebook group. Incredible find. Will be fun to watch and see what it goes for. Heritage Feb Platinum is loaded.

    There are some CRAZY unopened in that auction.

    Their estimated values seem inflated on a lot of items with current sales so it’ll be interesting to watch.

  • HidhoeHidhoe Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

    @BBBrkrr said:

    @UFFDAH said:
    I saw that out on a Facebook group. Incredible find. Will be fun to watch and see what it goes for. Heritage Feb Platinum is loaded.

    There are some CRAZY unopened in that auction.

    Their estimated values seem inflated on a lot of items with current sales so it’ll be interesting to watch.

    The 72 football from Fritsch has tremendous condition cards inside. Absolutely flawless with incredible centering.

  • AANVAANV Posts: 321 ✭✭✭
    edited January 28, 2024 10:32AM

    @JolleyWrencher said:
    Seems not rare enough for his style. Maybe in 20 years.

    I'm sure some people with low pop high grades would hate to see those get ripped.

    Sure would be nice to see where those end up.

    I wouldn't be worried about any low pop cards. I bought a 5,000 count box of 1979 singles from an O-Pee-Chee employee that went directly from packs into the box. I hit 1 PSA 10 and 4 PSA 9s.

    Cards out of the pack average PSA 6/7 and are off-center 80% of the time.

  • @Hidhoe said:

    @Raptormaniacs said:
    If I was the seller, I would have slowly sold these boxes off (one at a time)….

    On the one hand now is not the best time to be selling wax boxes. A lot of guys who used to buy and rip are no longer doing that. Prices continue to tumble.
    On the other hand there could be a significant premium selling it as a full case.

    For me, it’s 16 unopened boxes. Thats 16 mini lottery winners.

    To the collectors that’s an EXTRA 16 boxes. I will be surprised if it goes over 1.6million.

  • UFFDAHUFFDAH Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @80sOPC said:
    That’s ridiculous. If I had the resources I’d rip the living shit out of that case.

    I'm getting the sweats just dreaming about ripping that sum bee-och....that would epic.

  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @AANV said:

    @JolleyWrencher said:
    Seems not rare enough for his style. Maybe in 20 years.

    I'm sure some people with low pop high grades would hate to see those get ripped.

    Sure would be nice to see where those end up.

    I wouldn't be worried about any low pop cards. I bought a 5,000 count box of 1979 singles from an O-Pee-Chee employee that went directly from packs into the box. I hit 1 PSA 10 and 4 PSA 9s.

    Cards out of the pack average PSA 6/7 and are off-center 80% of the time.

    Good reason to leave them sealed.

    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • @UFFDAH said:

    @80sOPC said:
    That’s ridiculous. If I had the resources I’d rip the living shit out of that case.

    I'm getting the sweats just dreaming about ripping that sum bee-och....that would epic.

    I clearly don't know the rareness of 1979 OPC Hockey and I'm struggling to get my foot out of my mouth. How many Gretzky rookies are you likely to get from a case? What's the worse grade you'll see if the cards don't stick...psa4 or never that low? Best you can expect (not hope for) is PSA8?

    I wonder what a case of 86 fleer basketball goes for?

    I'd love to see a case of 1979 hockey next to it in somebody's collection next to 52 baseball and not sure about the football.

  • mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

    A case of 1958 Topps Football...too!

    mint_only_pls
  • 80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I think 15 - 20 and they would all be exmt - NM I bet.

    @JolleyWrencher said:

    @UFFDAH said:

    @80sOPC said:
    That’s ridiculous. If I had the resources I’d rip the living shit out of that case.

    I'm getting the sweats just dreaming about ripping that sum bee-och....that would epic.

    I clearly don't know the rareness of 1979 OPC Hockey and I'm struggling to get my foot out of my mouth. How many Gretzky rookies are you likely to get from a case? What's the worse grade you'll see if the cards don't stick...psa4 or never that low? Best you can expect (not hope for) is PSA8?

    I wonder what a case of 86 fleer basketball goes for?

    I'd love to see a case of 1979 hockey next to it in somebody's collection next to 52 baseball and not sure about the football.

  • baz518baz518 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭✭

    @80sOPC said:
    I think 15 - 20 and they would all be exmt - NM I bet.

    @JolleyWrencher said:

    @UFFDAH said:

    @80sOPC said:
    That’s ridiculous. If I had the resources I’d rip the living shit out of that case.

    I'm getting the sweats just dreaming about ripping that sum bee-och....that would epic.

    I clearly don't know the rareness of 1979 OPC Hockey and I'm struggling to get my foot out of my mouth. How many Gretzky rookies are you likely to get from a case? What's the worse grade you'll see if the cards don't stick...psa4 or never that low? Best you can expect (not hope for) is PSA8?

    I wonder what a case of 86 fleer basketball goes for?

    I'd love to see a case of 1979 hockey next to it in somebody's collection next to 52 baseball and not sure about the football.

    Why not 27? 16 boxes of 48 packs, and 14 cards per pack... that's 10752 cards. For a 396 card set and a sealed case being the best chance of getting an even distribution of cards... I'd think 22-25 would be more likely.

  • 80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Yup that sounds right, was just swagging

  • HidhoeHidhoe Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2024 2:16AM

    Highlights from UFFDAH’s dream last night.

    https://youtu.be/qNruArbVB3A?si=_HPXVTTADnWJaEUU

  • PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jordangretzkyfan said:
    This 79/80 OPC hockey case and the 86/87 Fleer basketball case that Frisch sold about 3 years ago are my unopened fantasy. Simply amazing to see one of each surface!

    With your luck you would hit 2 psa 8 or 9 Gretzky's and the same for Jordan's rookie.

    Collecting interests: Mexico & Peru early milled 1 reales + 1796-1891 US dimes

    Sports: NHL & NFL

    Thank you Lord for another beautiful day!!!

  • brad31brad31 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2024 3:21PM

    We have long passed the point where breaking rare boxes has any chance of breaking even. The value has shifted from the contents to the value of the unopened box as an entity. I say free the cards of their uncomfortable wax prisons!!

  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 29, 2024 9:00PM

    There's a guy on You Tube who's been ripping extremely high dollar unopened packs (71 and 72 wax, 67 cello with MANTLE on top) if anyone needs a reminder as to why ripping is ill advised in this day and age. As an unopened collector, I winced while watching it, though it was interesting from a purely research perspective. .

    As my good friend cpamike once stated: "Unopened packs are our friends. We don't rip our friends."

    As for this case, I wouldn't be surprised to see it eclipse 4MM.



    Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • HidhoeHidhoe Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

    @grote15 said:

    As for this case, I wouldn't be surprised to see it eclipse 4MM.

    Interesting take.

    The buy and rip guys are out of the equation because this is a case that loses 100x worse then a 86 Fleer basketball case rip.

    So essentially your view is that this case will double the 2 million estimates solely on unopened collectors wanting the rarest of rare and will keep it unopened for following generations.

    Interesting. Time will tell .

  • How does Heritage derive the guide value / estimate?

    I'd be afraid to have the case in my possession for fear of a tornado, derecho, fire, or other disaster. Could you imagine if it stayed unopened for another 50 or 100 years and somebody eventually rips it only to find out the contents were swapped at some point.

    I think buying a limited Porsche or Ferrari would be a better investment because you'll never get less than sticker price if you don't drive it.

  • BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @JolleyWrencher said:
    How does Heritage derive the guide value / estimate?

    I'd be afraid to have the case in my possession for fear of a tornado, derecho, fire, or other disaster. Could you imagine if it stayed unopened for another 50 or 100 years and somebody eventually rips it only to find out the contents were swapped at some point.

    I think buying a limited Porsche or Ferrari would be a better investment because you'll never get less than sticker price if you don't drive it.

    And a LOT of people are going to know you have it which would make me as nervous as a tornado or fire.

  • PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2024 6:48PM

    If I was Wayne Gretzky I would buy it and state in my will no one in the future can sell the case and must remain in the family. Or donate the whole case to the hockey hall of fame.

    He is worth 250$ million I mean he can easily afford the 2-4$ million dollars.

    He is getting older again if it was me I would do it and make sure it was preserved.

    Collecting interests: Mexico & Peru early milled 1 reales + 1796-1891 US dimes

    Sports: NHL & NFL

    Thank you Lord for another beautiful day!!!

  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

    For those thinking unopened is dropping, that may be the case for some more common items. But not for the rare stuff. The $336k 1965 wax box that just sold is a prime example. The '66 wax box will probably sell for a couple hundred k as well.

  • mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2024 10:07PM

    @gemint said:
    For those thinking unopened is dropping, that may be the case for some more common items. But not for the rare stuff. The $336k 1965 wax box that just sold is a prime example. The '66 wax box will probably sell for a couple hundred k as well.

    1966 Wax Box is already at $99,000...just a few days into bidding.

    mint_only_pls
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Always wondered if some big lottery winner, like the recent Michigan winner of $850 million, before taxes, decided to dip into the unopened waters. Say for $50 million worth. Without any regard for spending that amount.Then proceeded to rip the lot completely via a public showing. I imagine any remaining stock would increase in value. Or would it? If the singles market was satisfied possibly the remaining sealed material might lose some allure. Would it go so high that only the ultra rich could afford it. Only trading amongst a few. Would it in all essence end the unopened market? What would be the effect on vintage singles with such an influx of opened material? A price crash? Seeing all that vintage "destroyed" may cause alot of consternation among collectors. Possibly sending some seeking CPR. Your views?

    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • HidhoeHidhoe Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2024 1:06AM

    @gemint said:
    For those thinking unopened is dropping, that may be the case for some more common items. But not for the rare stuff. The $336k 1965 wax box that just sold is a prime example. The '66 wax box will probably sell for a couple hundred k as well.

    That’s a good point .

    1985 opc hockey packs continue to drop (Lemieux rookie). One sold for $247 on eBay last night.
    They were $500+ 6 months ago.

    Gretzky rookie opc packs aren’t selling well either.

    This wax case transcends those individual packs for sure so this will be interesting. Gretzky opc rookie packs have been in a free fall

    There is Zero appetite in the hobby right now for 1979 opc hockey packs. An eBay search shows nothing has sold and prices still can’t fall low enough.

  • HidhoeHidhoe Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    edited January 31, 2024 2:28AM

    This is unreal this recent price from last night. From a solid seller. These were selling for $125 back in 2013.
    They were also selling for $ 500+ not too long ago.

    As was mentioned before, what’s inside those 79 opc packs is nothing to get excited about in todays grading environment.

    Buying that case could be like buying a Bugatti without any power train.
    Imagine spending millions on a vehicle with no motor etc, etc.
    Perhaps if you’re a billionaire.

  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭✭✭

    1979 OPC Hockey and 1985 OPC hockey are pretty common. The 1979 OPC case will get a huge premium due to the rarity of FASC boxes. Just like the rarity of the 1965 wax box. 1965 wax packs are scarce but they do come up a few times a year and sell for ~$3k in graded form. The wax box sold for $14k per pack!!

  • HidhoeHidhoe Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

    @gemint said:
    1979 OPC Hockey and 1985 OPC hockey are pretty common. The 1979 OPC case will get a huge premium due to the rarity of FASC boxes. Just like the rarity of the 1965 wax box. 1965 wax packs are scarce but they do come up a few times a year and sell for ~$3k in graded form.

    The 79 opc wax case only gets a premium if two big spenders decide to break the bank.
    I can’t emphasize enough that what’s inside those packs is worth very little. Perhaps 20,000 per box, and that’s including the one PSA 9 Gretzky in that case from a sharp blade (if changed), and if it’s centered.

    There is nothing exciting about opening a 1979 opc hockey pack or box except nostalgia for those who can afford to lose big money.

  • jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Hidhoe said:

    @gemint said:
    1979 OPC Hockey and 1985 OPC hockey are pretty common. The 1979 OPC case will get a huge premium due to the rarity of FASC boxes. Just like the rarity of the 1965 wax box. 1965 wax packs are scarce but they do come up a few times a year and sell for ~$3k in graded form.

    The 79 opc wax case only gets a premium if two big spenders decide to break the bank.
    I can’t emphasize enough that what’s inside those packs is worth very little. Perhaps 20,000 per box, and that’s including the one PSA 9 Gretzky in that case from a sharp blade (if changed), and if it’s centered.

    There is nothing exciting about opening a 1979 opc hockey pack or box except nostalgia for those who can afford to lose big money.

    As an unopened collector, I can assure you the winner of this case will also be an unopened collector and not a breaker. The rarity of this case in unopened form cannot be emphasized enough. I have been collecting unopened for 40 years and this is the first and likely last 79/80 OPC case to ever surface. The beauty of this case is that it remains in its factory issued form. There is a beauty to the outer case, the design of the pristine unopened boxes, and the artwork on the packs. No one is proposing that this case be opened, as that would immediately destroy the value. This case is on the same magnitude as the 86/87 fleer basketball case that surfaced from the Fritsch vault three years ago. Only one person on the planet can own this pristine factory issued case, and that’s where the big hitters will want to play.

  • gemintgemint Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2024 9:48AM

    Rare unopened items are collectibles in and of themselves. Nobody is spending $250k for a 1956 or 1958 nickel baseball wax pack with the intention of opening it. They are commanding that price because you can easily count the population of those unopened packs on one hand.

  • coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

    I also think this case might go to the same person that bought 1958 and 1956 wax.

  • mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

    When I sold my 1960 wax packs in person at Hickory, North Carolina…he showed me his impressive unopened collection kept in a safe …but there were no hockey packs. I do not think he is into hockey.

    mint_only_pls
  • HidhoeHidhoe Posts: 310 ✭✭✭

    @jordangretzkyfan said:

    @Hidhoe said:

    @gemint said:
    1979 OPC Hockey and 1985 OPC hockey are pretty common. The 1979 OPC case will get a huge premium due to the rarity of FASC boxes. Just like the rarity of the 1965 wax box. 1965 wax packs are scarce but they do come up a few times a year and sell for ~$3k in graded form.

    The 79 opc wax case only gets a premium if two big spenders decide to break the bank.
    I can’t emphasize enough that what’s inside those packs is worth very little. Perhaps 20,000 per box, and that’s including the one PSA 9 Gretzky in that case from a sharp blade (if changed), and if it’s centered.

    There is nothing exciting about opening a 1979 opc hockey pack or box except nostalgia for those who can afford to lose big money.

    As an unopened collector, I can assure you the winner of this case will also be an unopened collector and not a breaker. The rarity of this case in unopened form cannot be emphasized enough. I have been collecting unopened for 40 years and this is the first and likely last 79/80 OPC case to ever surface. The beauty of this case is that it remains in its factory issued form. There is a beauty to the outer case, the design of the pristine unopened boxes, and the artwork on the packs. No one is proposing that this case be opened, as that would immediately destroy the value. This case is on the same magnitude as the 86/87 fleer basketball case that surfaced from the Fritsch vault three years ago. Only one person on the planet can own this pristine factory issued case, and that’s where the big hitters will want to play.

    This all makes perfect sense. I guess I will just never understand why someone would want to pay millions to look at this………………..

    When a lot less can be spent to look at this……………………………..

    When we were kids we saw packs and wax boxes at stores, and eventually saw the cards.

    Spending millions to look at something that brings back zero memories (a sealed case with writing on some wrapping 2024), would bring no joy to me, but lots of joy to others.

  • handymanhandyman Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2024 6:24AM

    Maybe it's a guy who owns a chain of convenient stores. Started out unloading the cases from the truck when he was 13. Never had enough to even buy 1 pack like all those rich kids did. Now he owns 343 stores and hopefully the last case he pulled out of that dirty truck.

    One can only dream

  • HidhoeHidhoe Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2024 6:27AM

    @handyman said:
    Maybe it's a guy who owns a chain of convenient stores. Started out unloading the cases from the truck when he was 13. Never had enough to even buy 1 pack like all those rich kids did. Now he owns 343 stores and hopefully the last case he pulled out of that dirty truck.

    One can only dream

    Now this makes sense also.
    What if a rich former OPC board member or CEO wants this, but they sold off all their vault belongings years ago.

  • handymanhandyman Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2024 9:30AM

    No. The rich opc guy knows exactly how many they made. He’s not interested. But we do need to find an underbidder I agree.

    And don’t say gretzky. If I’m gretzky I already have 20 of these that I forgot I bought after I sold the Wagner.

  • mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2024 9:22AM

    It’s a Mona Lisa to hockey sportscard collectors… the eye of the beholder!

    mint_only_pls
Sign In or Register to comment.