Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Counterfeit Detection Seminar at January 2024 FUN Convention

BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am scheduled to give a counterfeit detection seminar at the 2024 FUN show. It will be at 11:45 AM on Thursday, January 4.The emphasis will be on how to spot counterfeit coins in counterfeit slabs on-line. There will be handout so that you can use my tips on your computer, cell phone and iPad at home and at the shows.

I hope to meet you there!

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

Comments

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you know if anyone is taping it to upload on internet somewhere?

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would love to attend but unfortunately, I'm not going to FUN. Would be nice to have this recorded and uploaded to reach more people.

Collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great topic. I'll be there.

Larry

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    Do you know if anyone is taping it to upload on internet somewhere?

My thoughts exactly. Please let us know. This is an important issue. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall, coinsarefun, MichaelDixon

• Options

Hopefully someday I can attend to listen to this....very interested...maybe think about doing a webinar?

• Options
    burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone get the handouts?

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

Next time why not record it and post on YouTube?

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options

it might be recorded - here is a page and links to previous years seminars (there are some very good ones, if you have the time)

funtopics.com/Education.html

• Options

Cool link @davewesen ! May take a bit for the 2024 seminars.

• Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭

i recently visited a coin dealer to the north of me and he was mighty proud of his newly purchased walker collection ... all generally the same color, all generally the same grade ... i didnt have the heart to tell him ...

regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything
  • Options

Was the lecture recorded or added to youtube? I would love to hear that.

The substantial truth doctrine is an important defense in defamation law that allows individuals to avoid liability if the gist of their statement was true.

• Options

Thank you @BillJones .

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RiveraFamilyCollect said:

FUN has put up videos of the educational forums they have run in the past. I am sure they will do that again. My presentation was taped.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@RiveraFamilyCollect said:

FUN has put up videos of the educational forums they have run in the past. I am sure they will do that again. My presentation was taped.

Thanks Bill, I would have loved to make it down to FUN and your seminar. A real important topic! I'll definitely check out the video when/if it becomes available. Your insights and collection are always worth checking out.

Mark

• Options

recording showed up on Newman Numismatic Portal

https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/635307

• Options

Thanks @davewesen !

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bill, thanks for taking the time and trouble to do this.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options

@BillJones , really enjoyed watching the video. Thanks for the kind words as well.

Jack

• Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you @BillJones , really appreciate you taking the time to share your video link. I only wish I had the opportunity to see the live presentation and get the chance to meet you in person. You are an asset to the hobby and this forum as well.

Mark

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2024 7:16PM

@RichieURich said:
    I attended this presentation and I’m glad I did. Bill did an excellent job describing many different counterfeits. Thanks, Bill!

I also attended and was sitting close to Richie, I think we both really enjoyed Bill's professional presentation. Watch the vid, very informative.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking forward to viewing this.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file