Home U.S. Coin Forum

Are there still many collectors who collect non-slabbed coins?

13»

Comments

• TyrockTyrock Posts: 290 ✭✭✭

Yes, but they're all across the pond.

• OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6, 2024 3:52PM

Please excuse the dust. Some of these were slabbed before they ended up here.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • erscoloerscolo Posts: 574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. I have 3,116 coins in my collection, of which 495 are graded. 84% are not and 16% are graded. That being said, based on approximate monetary value, the percentage graded is much higher, some 45% of the collection value.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you collect ancient coins, the vast majority of them will be raw. I have purchased a few imperial Roman and hammered English coins that had been cracked out NGC holders. The slab tags were included with the flips.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 869 ✭✭✭✭✭

I buy my medals raw or holdered, and if holdered then I will crack them out and free them

• TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6, 2024 9:29PM

Just seems the older I get the less I care if a coin is graded or not. I prefer finding them graded but if not I simply do not care as much anymore. 2 by 2's are fine with me and I do not have to worry about damaging the NGC or PCGS holders.

My key dates are in my safety deposit box at the bank and are mostly all graded. I never take them out and I only go to my bank to add some new coins from time to time.

• OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sure, here's one I just paid a few hundred bucks for.

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn't matter to me - I trust my grading and authentication skills.

thefinn
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just about 99 percent of all coins submitted to PCGS by me since 2005 were raw. So, yes to the question. Since they all came from collectors, I'd have to say there are a great majority of unslabbed coins in collections vs graded.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,145 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 7, 2024 7:43AM

Absolutely

I take 2x2 raw collector coins along when setup at shows. From 1$ on up. They do well. One guy picked out 4 coins that added up to $14. He took a ten out of his wallet asked what I could do on them. I noticed he had no other bills in there. Told him $10 he took them giving me the $10 bill thanked me and walked off. At shows there to sell / move material.

Coins & Currency
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

To sell,graded. To collect and enjoy,raw/in folders.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • mikee999mikee999 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭✭

• MapsOnFireMapsOnFire Posts: 219 ✭✭✭

I'll buy a slabbed coin for $X if the coin itself is worth $X to me.

• TrampTramp Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like doing both raw and slabbed, however, the majority of my collection is raw. My slabbed coins are the more pricy keys.

I've completed Dansco collections of Lincoln cents, Merc dimes, Roosevelt dimes, Washington Qtr's, Eisenhower's, Sacagawea, etc. The more recent set I'm pulling together is a complete Dansco VF-AU chocolate BN Lincoln cent 1909-1958.

Below pics are of my completed Lincoln cent set that is 99.9% MS64 RD and RB (except the 22 no D is a MS 61BN) along with all RD Proofs; 1950 and up. The completed set is a mix of raw and slabbed (7 coins). Many in this Dansco 8100 are former slabbed coins.

Just something special to me to view all these on each page together. Maybe my next set will be all slabbed Lincoln's MS64 RD or RB.

Page 1

Page 2

Page 3

Page 4

Page 5

Page 6

Page 7

Page 8

Page 9

Page 1

Page 2

Holdered coins:
    1914-D MS64 RD PCGS
    1915-S MS64 RB PCGS
    1922 no D MS61 BN PCGS
    1924-D MS64 RB PCGS
    1924-S MS64 RB NGC
    1926-S MS64 RD PCGS
    1928-S MS64 RD PCGS

USAF (Ret.) 1985 - 2005. E-4B Aircraft Maintenance Crew Chief and Contracting Officer.
    My current Registry sets:
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Carson City Morgan Dollars (1878 – 1893)
    ✓ Everyman Mint State Lincoln Cents (1909 – 1958)
    ✓ Morgan Dollar GSA Hoard (1878 – 1891)

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mr_Spud

• mikee999mikee999 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭✭

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was raw in a collection for the past 30 years. Just submitted last month.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file