Home U.S. Coin Forum

Are there still many collectors who collect non-slabbed coins?

Comments

• Davidk7Davidk7 Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭

I buy pretty much every single coin raw.

Collector of Capped Bust Halves, SLQ's, Commems, and random cool stuff! @davidv_numismatics on Instagram

• 124Spider124Spider Posts: 907 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@124Spider said:
    A better question, I suspect, would be, "Are there still many collectors who collect expensive non-slabbed coins."

Many of us are, fundamentally, album-collectors. Speaking for myself, I would love to own no slabbed coins, and have my albums contain all my pretty coins that now are slabbed. The album would look better (no placeholder-coins).

But I buy all my expensive coins over the internet, based only on photographs and how much I trust the vendor. So I am unwilling to spend big bucks (defined as more than about $200) on a raw coin. I am also of the opinion that there is absolutely no reason for a professional vendor to be selling $1000 raw coins, when the same coin, slabbed by a reputable TPG, would be much easier to sell (translating almost certainly into a quicker sale for more money). So I make the negative inference that there must be some reason they chose not to get the coin certified/graded, and I don't like any of those reasons.

Also, of course, I am mindful that, when it comes time to sell my coins, they'll be easier to sell (quicker and higher sale price) if slabbed. So I have lots of slabbed coins. But I have far more raw coins, since most coins since about 1930 are not expensive.

I don't fully agree. However, at the very least you need to exempt coins whose price tag is predominantly bullion. For example, a circ $20 is around $2000 but for common dates there is zero benefit to getting them slabbed.

And there are legitimate reasons not to slab a moderately expensive coin:
    1. The price increase will not match the expense.
    2. You don't want to wait 3 or 4 months to recoup your costs.

I hear you, but (from the point of view of a collector who buys all his coins based on photos and trust), I'll say:

1. I would not buy an unslabbed double eagle (I'm assuming that that's what you're referring to by "circ $20") from a dealer with which I was unfamiliar as readily as I would buy one that is certified by a reputable TPG. $2000 is too much money for me to trust blindly, when I have no way of determining that it's genuine, even after I get the coin. And I doubt I'm the only one who feels that way. Maybe enough others don't care that the price is not affected; maybe not.

2. I submit that it's axiomatic that one would expect to get a substantial amount more for a $1000 coin that has been certified by a reputable TPG than the same coin that has not, if one's sales are very often through photos. I certainly would not even think about spending anything like $1000 on a coin that I was guessing as to its actual grade and authenticity based only on photos.

3. I grant the third point, but wonder about how long a $1000 raw coin would sit compared to the same coin certified by a reputable TPG, on average.

• GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭

All raw for me. The last slab I had I traded for a nice 20 cent piece.

imageimage

• rec78rec78 Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not an EAC person, but I hear that most EAC collectors don't like slabs (I don't know if this is true or not, just something I heard over the years). EAC= Early American Coppers.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2023 6:36AM

I haven’t collected raw coins, in 20 years. Only thing raw I would consider buying would be an ASE, or some other mint product, in original government packaging. Certification makes so much more sense from a financial standpoint and also as protection and authentication.

Sometimes, it’s better to be LUCKY than good. 🍀 🍺👍

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 32,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have Dansco albums from Lincoln cents to Kennedy halves. Everything from the late 50's came from broken out mint & proof sets. Rolls and rolls of Lincolns, Jeffersons and silver Roosevelts. Still buy raw but not on-line and not very often. About 1,800 slabs, the vast majority Roosevelt dimes. That being said, I'll never limit myself to one or the other. Reason for all the slabs ? Not the smartest way to collect but I initially wanted a ms65 set. Then noticed alot of ms66's were available for a slight increase in cost. Well, guess what ? ms67 now completed with alot of 67+ and a few 68's. Crap !!! This IS NOT the smart way to do it. Especially since I never sold the 65 & 66's.

• silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

i have many non slabbed coins in my collection

• bramn8rbramn8r Posts: 828 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have both slabbed and raw Morgan & Peace coins, but Dansco needs to make an album for 2021-? Morgan and Peace Dollars. I'd like to display my coins in an album to get toned and appreciated, Anyone else agree?

• DreamcrusherDreamcrusher Posts: 210 ✭✭✭✭

I am currently putting a set of Peace dollars together and am having so much more fun collecting what I like than worrying about what a grading company is going to say about it. With that being said, I am almost finished putting a set of commemoratives together and they are all slabbed so that when I pass away, my wife (who knows very little about coins) will have a starting point when she sells them.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

@124Spider said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@124Spider said:
    A better question, I suspect, would be, "Are there still many collectors who collect expensive non-slabbed coins."

Many of us are, fundamentally, album-collectors. Speaking for myself, I would love to own no slabbed coins, and have my albums contain all my pretty coins that now are slabbed. The album would look better (no placeholder-coins).

But I buy all my expensive coins over the internet, based only on photographs and how much I trust the vendor. So I am unwilling to spend big bucks (defined as more than about $200) on a raw coin. I am also of the opinion that there is absolutely no reason for a professional vendor to be selling $1000 raw coins, when the same coin, slabbed by a reputable TPG, would be much easier to sell (translating almost certainly into a quicker sale for more money). So I make the negative inference that there must be some reason they chose not to get the coin certified/graded, and I don't like any of those reasons.

Also, of course, I am mindful that, when it comes time to sell my coins, they'll be easier to sell (quicker and higher sale price) if slabbed. So I have lots of slabbed coins. But I have far more raw coins, since most coins since about 1930 are not expensive.

I don't fully agree. However, at the very least you need to exempt coins whose price tag is predominantly bullion. For example, a circ $20 is around $2000 but for common dates there is zero benefit to getting them slabbed.

And there are legitimate reasons not to slab a moderately expensive coin:
    1. The price increase will not match the expense.
    2. You don't want to wait 3 or 4 months to recoup your costs.

I hear you, but (from the point of view of a collector who buys all his coins based on photos and trust), I'll say:

1. I would not buy an unslabbed double eagle (I'm assuming that that's what you're referring to by "circ $20") from a dealer with which I was unfamiliar as readily as I would buy one that is certified by a reputable TPG. $2000 is too much money for me to trust blindly, when I have no way of determining that it's genuine, even after I get the coin. And I doubt I'm the only one who feels that way. Maybe enough others don't care that the price is not affected; maybe not.

2. I submit that it's axiomatic that one would expect to get a substantial amount more for a $1000 coin that has been certified by a reputable TPG than the same coin that has not, if one's sales are very often through photos. I certainly would not even think about spending anything like $1000 on a coin that I was guessing as to its actual grade and authenticity based only on photos.

3. I grant the third point, but wonder about how long a $1000 raw coin would sit compared to the same coin certified by a reputable TPG, on average.

You will get almost no price bump for a circ $20 (common date) from it being slabbed, certainly less than the cost of certification.

As for #3, it depends on what it is and what your customer base is. There are, for example, many $500 to $1000 Morgan dollars that could be sold raw fairly quickly in a BM. Key date coins would sell quickly if you have buyers looking.

I'm not telling you to ever buy a raw coin. I'm just saying that there are legitimate reasons why some coins, even some moderately expensive coins are still raw. The biggest one being bullion. Other than Cougar (see the other thread), most dealers don't make more than $75 or $100 on a $20, sometimes as low as $50. There is literally no profit in submitting them.

• OrlenaOrlena Posts: 305 ✭✭✭

I prefer all raw on modern (last 50 or so years) and I may buy slabbed if I don’t know the seller too well. My problem with the graded coins is people seem to believe a 70 is worth a fortune and a 69 is worth melt.

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm an album collector at heart. My complete seated quarter set was in a Dansco. I started slabbing them earlier this year to make it easier for my kids to sell. If I start another collection, it will be something much lower valued but will be in a Dansco.

• BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2023 9:31PM

There's a huge raw world out there to explore and cherrypick. For instance...

1845-O WB13 (R6)

1855/54
    It's gone! The seller took down the photo. Maybe he sold it out from under me. We'll see. If it still remains available, it looks to be a nice VG10 but a late die state.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2023 9:56PM

I used to crack out coins for my 7070 album but once that was completed, I stopped the practice. Most of the coins I'm after these days have been the subject of counterfeiters and having the authentication is a definite plus. My other area of collecting, Early Copper, is mostly traded raw but if I find a nice slabbed piece I'm not going to crack it...

Here's my 7070...
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1089350/my-completed-dansco-7070-type-set#latest

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@PillarDollarCollector said:
    Are there still many collectors who collect non-slabbed coins?

No, they're all gone. I'm the only one left! 😉

Such good eye appeal with these coins! Interesting dates too.

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2023 9:31AM

Thanks @semikeycollector

It just gives you a flavor of my interests with some raw coins. Although to be fair, I have broken some key dates out over the years to complete some albums/sets.

Fortunately or unfortunately, all my albums have revolved around budget at the time of putting them together. Yes, eye appeal, a consistent look and problem free/straight graded coins have always motivated me. I like circulated sets. I never really liked the idea of a G-4 1921-D Walker on the same page with a Mint State 1935 Walker.

I tried to build a consistent looking set around the 1885 VF Liberty (Full Liberty) Nickel. I intentionally bought "down graded" coins to match the 85.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Oakstar - I like circulated sets. I never really liked the idea of a G-4 1921-D Walker on the same page with a Mint State 1935 Walker.

Haven't seen the Dansco WLH album setup. I have my WLH's in the LOC albums and page 2 of Book 1 goes from 1919 D to 29 D, so easy to have a nice circulated matched set of G4 - F12. Page 3 (29 S - 37 P) is almost all MS. Not sure if the Coin & Currency Institute had this in mind when they created the albums but I like the design since my set is a progressively improved grade.

• neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2023 11:42AM

For anything that's modern (past 50 years), I prefer original mint packaging over a slab. The coins are well enough protected and consistently high enough quality that I don't think the holder adds a ton of value. And I think the packaging in good condition will become more rare than the coins themselves fairly quickly.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭✭✭

Technically, I collect both. However, almost all of my raw coins are all low value. Today, everything I do is graded. I do not buy modern, Mint products (just not my area of focus).

It is much faster for me to find the quality I want in graded coins. Also, it will be much easier for my less-than-knowledgeable wife to sell my coins if they are graded, should something happen to me unexpectedly.

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 915 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer my coins raw, unless I can't expect to find the particular coin otherwise. I'm happy with filling albums and still am making custom books from scratch on request.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coastaljerseyguy said:
    @Oakstar - I like circulated sets. I never really liked the idea of a G-4 1921-D Walker on the same page with a Mint State 1935 Walker.

Haven't seen the Dansco WLH album setup. I have my WLH's in the LOC albums and page 2 of Book 1 goes from 1919 D to 29 D, so easy to have a nice circulated matched set of G4 - F12. Page 3 (29 S - 37 P) is almost all MS. Not sure if the Coin & Currency Institute had this in mind when they created the albums but I like the design since my set is a progressively improved grade.

Let's see them.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• bretsanbretsan Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

Most of my Buffalo Nickels are raw except for key dates. I did the same with Kennedy Half Dollars, Washington Quarters, Standing Liberty Quarters, Jefferson Nickels and Roosevelt Dimes. I’m still missing some key dates which I will only buy slabbed. More recently, I’ve been collecting Morgan and Peace dollars. I’ve learned the hard way to only buy these slabbed. I have a several rarer date AU sliders that are all cleaned.

• nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2023 10:49PM

Would love to see some of those raw albums!

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 848 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cent collection.
    Flying Eagle and Indian Head Cents

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rec78 said:
    I am not an EAC person, but I hear that most EAC collectors don't like slabs (I don't know if this is true or not, just something I heard over the years). EAC= Early American Coppers.

This area has been transitioning for awhile, especially for those doing higher grade date and/or major variety sets (like me). And the EAC dealers have followed suit, offering good mixes of raw and slabbed coins now.

The hard core Sheldon variety collectors have little use for slabs, as so many of the coins would only get Details grades anyway.

But to your point, I remember being at an EAC show held in conjunction with a regional show around 1995. I was showing one of the guys my 1819 in an ANACS MS60 holder and being admonished for keeping it that way, since there was a spot of gunk on the reverse. He offered to crack it for me and properly treat it before it got worse. I politely declined, still have the coin, and it hasn’t changed at all.

Successful BST transactions with 171 members. Ebeneezer, Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can you tell?
    Transactions from;
    Apr 2021; 81 PL or SPL
    38, 38D, 38S, (2) 39, 40, (2) 40D, 40S, (4) 41, 41D, 41S, (2)42, 42D, 42P, 42S, 43P, (2) 43D, 43S, 44P, 44S, 45P, (2) 45D, 45S, 46, 46S, 47, 48S, 49, 50, 51, 51S, 52, 52D, 52S, (2) 53D, (2) 53S, (4) 54D, 55, (2) 55D, (2) 56, (2) 58, 58D, (3) 59, (4) 59D, 60, 60D, (2) 61, (2) 61D, (3) 62D, (2) 63, (3)64D, (3) 65 SMS (81)

July 2021 Toned coins from a capital holder and a 2x2 box. 23 coins. 38, 38D, 39SR38, 42D, 43P and 38D, 39R38, 39SR38, 42P, 43P, 43S, 46D, 47P, 51P, 53P, 56P, 60P, 65, 68D, 69S, 77D, 79P, 91D. (104T)

Next; 22 PL coins. 43D, 43S, 44D, 46S, 48S, 2- 49S, 2- 52D, 52-S, 53D, 2- 54P, 55P, 56P. 2-57P, 57D, 62P (56 dates PL). 2- 80P and the 84P. (126T)

Some dates listed below are PL but left un-noted.

14 coins 38P, 38S, 39P, 39S, 43D, 44D, 46S, 48S, 49S, 50P, 52D, 53S, 56D, 57P. (140)

Oct. 2021
    38D, 39S, 41P, 42S, 46P, 46D, 47P, 48D, 49P, 49S, 54P, 55P, 56P, 56D, 57P, 59P, 59D, 60P, 60D, 64P, 43P, 44D, 48, 52D, 53P, 53D, 54D. Nice grades w/FS. 27 (167)

Annotations; wk (weak), nk (nck)s, scrt(s) (scratch)s, mk (mark), ov. (obverse), rv. (reverse), DE (die erosion), lam (lamination), L (luster) S (semi), PL (prooflike), mky (marky), n (nick), b (bridge), t (toned), scp (scrapes), hvy (heavy), c/steps (compensated), abr (abrasion) S-T (strike thru), ck (cheek), dpl (die polish lines), E (EDS), f (full), w (weak), qrtr (quarter), QSC (quarter step count)

58 coins w/opinions Oct 2021;
    65 BS MS65 f/str steps, dpl, PL
    66 BS MS64 m 4.5 dpl, De in hair
    67 BS MS65 m+ QSC 3345 1 sm. nk, center str-thru, b's, almost FS, c spotting rv.
    68D MS64 m/f 6535 QSC nk, blemished fields, lt. scrt ov.
    69S MS63 f 6335 QSC n and ticks, lg mk on high ck bone.
    70D MS64+ f/str lg S-T left of steps, PL. lg mk ov. Chick scrths rv.
    70S MS63+ about 5 nks, nks ov. rv
    71 MS64/5 f 6 sm hit, nks ov
    71D MS63/5 w/E 6, flaw in hair
    72 MS64+ E 6 lt t
    72D MS65/4 E 5.25 mky rv
    73 MS65 E 5.25, minor spotting
    74 MS63 f 5, scrts on obv. and rev., marky.
    74D MS64/5 f 5, scrt on coat, hit on chin
    75 MS63/4 f 5, scrps on forehead and brow, scrth rv.
    75D MS65 E -5 nk, die crack rv.
    76 MS64+ f -5 str-thru and wk qrtr step under 3rd pillar, colorful
    76D MS65 E -5 tick, 3 minor scrps ov, lt scrt l-field ov.
    77 MS64+ E -5 wk quarter on 5th, L+, scrpe forehead, few mks.
    77D MS64+ E 5.25, scrt hair, nks forehead
    78 MS63/5 f 5.25, six sm scrps, deep scrt in field ov.
    78-D MS64/5 f 5.25 scrps on coat
    79 MS63/5 f 5 scrps on coat
    79D MS64 m/f 5, de hair, spotty, L-
    80P MS63/5 4.75 2 nks, wk quarter, scrps nks on ck and forehead
    80D MS64 f 5 mks on high ck & rv field, scrp in hair.
    81P MS63 w/f -5 b left side, long scrt in hair, de.
    81D MS65 f -5 b
    82P MS64 E 5.25, cuts, scrts
    83P MS64/5 E 5,25, minor scrp, hits hair, not L, lt t
    83D MS64/5 f 5
    84P MS65 f 5.25
    84D MS65 f 5.25 tick
    85P MS64+ f 5.50. Mks, spot rv.
    87P MS66 E 6
    88P MS65 E 6, minor lt scat'd mks ov., t rv.
    89P MS65+ E/str 6 PL
    89D MS64+ E 5.75
    90P MS65 E 6, scrt coat
    91-P MS64 E -6, scrts on ck
    91D MS65 E -6
    92P MS65 E 6, tiny spot on ck
    92D MS66 E 6
    93P MS64/5 E 6
    93D MS65/6 E 6
    94D MS64 E 6 rough rim
    95P MS65 E 6
    95D MS65 E 6
    96P MS65 E 6
    96P MS65 E 6 lt scrts, nks on ck
    96D MS66 E -6n
    97-P MS64 E 6
    98-D MS64 E 6 PL
    99-P MS64+ E 6 spotty ov.
    00D MS64 E 6 mky ov.
    01D MS66 E 6
    02P MS66 E 6
    02D MS66 E 6 (226)

Feb 2022 21 coins
    38D MS64 E 6545 QSC, t, subtle L-, 4 ov. mks. spots
    39 r38 MS65/4 f 5445 QSC, lt. scrth hair, L, nice str.
    39D r38 MS64+ f/E 6544 QSC rough, nks. hvy t ov., colorful rv., L-, ov. lathe lines.
    39D r40 MS64 f -5.00 wk, hvy t, L-, nicely aged.
    39S r38 MS64+ f 5445 QSC, mks ov. L, gold t.
    40D MS65 f-/f 6, L, spots
    40S MS64 f/w strike oddity.
    41D MS65 f 5.25 T, L+
    41D MS65 f 6. L+, SPL, lt. scrts ov. and rv.
    41D MS64 f 6 L. De, possible D/D
    41D MS63+ w/str 6, de, L+
    41D MS65+ m+ -6 minor flaw and wkness, de, SPL
    41D MS65 f- 6, sm. scrt ov. field, SPL
    42D MS64 f 6, mky ck, fields. lt. scrt rv. De, SPL
    42D MS65 f 6 Colorful t, rough ck, nk, scrps ov., sevl scrts rv.
    42P MS65 f -5.25 nk, L+. lam, rim flaw
    42S 66/5 E steps b, L+ ov., t, rv.
    43P MS65+ E 5.50 lt marks on portrait, priphl t, L+.
    43P 64/5 f -6 tick b, mks portrait, lt. scrt coat, P/P
    43P 66/7 E/str 4.50 brs, L+. Minor mks chk, c spot nose
    43D 65+ E 6 L+, mks, scrts ov. rv., lt. spot chk (247)

April 2022 66 coins w/opinions
    44P 63+ f -6 nks, L, scrts ov. and rv. lt. mottle t, mky
    44D 66 E -5.25 2nks spot, L+, 3 nks rv.
    44D 65+ E 5.25 L+, 4-5 mks in hair, lg spot on UNITED
    44D 66/65+ E 5.25 L+, lg mk rv., lam. ov?
    45P 64+ f -5 wk/3rdP, L, lt T, mky
    45D 64+ f -6 6th wk, L, 2n 2 scrps ov. 3-4 n rv.
    47P 64/5 f -5nk lot of 6th, L, T, lg mks in hair
    47P 64+/65 f -5.00 b, L, t
    47D 65 f 5 L, minor mks
    47D 64 m+ -6nk, L- DE
    48D 64 f/m 5 L, lg mk ov
    48S 64 m+ -5nk b, L/L-
    48S 64 f -5 b, L, scrps/rub ov., minor mks DPL, SPL Dramatic S/S
    49P 64+ m+/f -5wk nk, L-, t
    49D 65 f -5 nks, L, nice t, spotty ov.
    50P 64 f steps nk wk, L-, flashy, hvy t
    51P 64+ m+/f steps rough, L+, very nice, lg cut on chk
    52P 63+ w/str c/steps nks, L-, t, mky
    52D 64+ f/m str -5nk b, L-,
    52S 63 m+ -5 nk, L, 9-10 hvy mks most on rv.
    54P 64 f -5 nks, L, mky, spotty
    55P 64+ f -5 n b, L-, mky
    55D 64+ m/w str c5544 QSC nks, L+, nice, wk details
    55D 64 w/f c5534 nks b's, flat ear
    58P 63w -5, nk, black
    58P 63+ m+/f str 5 minor nk, SPL, nice for the date, t
    58D 64+ f 5.50 L, t, hvy rv. nk, on nose, scp ov.
    59P 64 f 5 L-, t
    59D 64 m+/f 5 L
    62P 64 f -5nk, nice
    63 64+ f -5nk b, lt. t
    70S 65 f 5.50 b abr, PL S-T ck
    73d 65 E 5.25 L+
    75P 65 f 5 tick, L
    78D 64 f 5.50 mky, scrt, Raised spiral markings on coat
    85P 64+ f 5.25 HVY die polish lines ov. rv.
    85D 66 f 5 5th thin separation under 3rd & 4th pillar
    86D 65 f -5 tick/bump Lt scrat coat
    87D 65 f 5.50
    88P 64 spot, mky, minor scattered chicken flecks, PL
    88P 64 f/str unusual weak steps
    88P very worn dies, only 6th step shows.
    90D 64+ E -6 minor mks
    92D 63 E 6 PL scats, mky
    93P 64+ E 6 mky minor
    93P 65 E 6 PL mky minor
    93D 65 E 6
    94P 66 E 6
    94P 65 E 6 spot on ck
    94D 64 m/str 6 mky, less than full strike, planchet irregularities
    95P 65 E 6 PL
    95P 66 E 6 very nice
    95D 65+ E 6 PL
    96D 65+ E 6 PL
    97P 66 E/str 6
    98P 64 E 6 chicken scrts minor
    98D 65 E 6 minor lt. scrts
    99P 65 E 6 minor marks
    99D 65+ E 6
    00D 65 E 6 S-T rv.
    03D 65 E 6
    2-06P 65 planchet irregularities in fields
    06P 66
    06D 65 unusual weak steps
    2019D PF67? Explore & Disc.

313 new coins that are slowly being implemented into my collection with Capital and IS holders. Others will get new Mylar flips.

But I buy certified coins as well, mainly PCGS or ANACS when they meet my standards in strike, condition and steps. Never had much luck with NGC. A few in the lists would grade higher by another standard.
    My latest, have two for this date.

Besides answering the OP's question, the above lists shows how busy I can get sometimes. But at $40 a pop, it would take 5 figures to get them graded and graded again.....so..... Likely the same reason why they're still in their raw state. Nonetheless, a few are of very high quality. Coins usually speak for themselves and having the ability to discern what they're saying, well.... Whenever the opportunity arises, it's always a joy going through a good box!

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• anablepanablep Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

Most of my coins are raw

Only my silver dollars and some select gold are certified

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭✭✭

@leothelyon said:
    Can you tell?
    Transactions from;
    Apr 2021; 81 PL or SPL
    38, 38D, 38S, (2) 39, 40, (2) 40D, 40S, (4) 41, 41D, 41S, (2)42, 42D, 42P, 42S, 43P, (2) 43D, 43S, 44P, 44S, 45P, (2) 45D, 45S, 46, 46S, 47, 48S, 49, 50, 51, 51S, 52, 52D, 52S, (2) 53D, (2) 53S, (4) 54D, 55, (2) 55D, (2) 56, (2) 58, 58D, (3) 59, (4) 59D, 60, 60D, (2) 61, (2) 61D, (3) 62D, (2) 63, (3)64D, (3) 65 SMS (81)

July 2021 Toned coins from a capital holder and a 2x2 box. 23 coins. 38, 38D, 39SR38, 42D, 43P and 38D, 39R38, 39SR38, 42P, 43P, 43S, 46D, 47P, 51P, 53P, 56P, 60P, 65, 68D, 69S, 77D, 79P, 91D. (104T)

Next; 22 PL coins. 43D, 43S, 44D, 46S, 48S, 2- 49S, 2- 52D, 52-S, 53D, 2- 54P, 55P, 56P. 2-57P, 57D, 62P (56 dates PL). 2- 80P and the 84P. (126T)

Some dates listed below are PL but left un-noted.

14 coins 38P, 38S, 39P, 39S, 43D, 44D, 46S, 48S, 49S, 50P, 52D, 53S, 56D, 57P. (140)

Oct. 2021
    38D, 39S, 41P, 42S, 46P, 46D, 47P, 48D, 49P, 49S, 54P, 55P, 56P, 56D, 57P, 59P, 59D, 60P, 60D, 64P, 43P, 44D, 48, 52D, 53P, 53D, 54D. Nice grades w/FS. 27 (167)

Annotations; wk (weak), nk (nck)s, scrt(s) (scratch)s, mk (mark), ov. (obverse), rv. (reverse), DE (die erosion), lam (lamination), L (luster) S (semi), PL (prooflike), mky (marky), n (nick), b (bridge), t (toned), scp (scrapes), hvy (heavy), c/steps (compensated), abr (abrasion) S-T (strike thru), ck (cheek), dpl (die polish lines), E (EDS), f (full), w (weak), qrtr (quarter), QSC (quarter step count)

58 coins w/opinions Oct 2021;
    65 BS MS65 f/str steps, dpl, PL
    66 BS MS64 m 4.5 dpl, De in hair
    67 BS MS65 m+ QSC 3345 1 sm. nk, center str-thru, b's, almost FS, c spotting rv.
    68D MS64 m/f 6535 QSC nk, blemished fields, lt. scrt ov.
    69S MS63 f 6335 QSC n and ticks, lg mk on high ck bone.
    70D MS64+ f/str lg S-T left of steps, PL. lg mk ov. Chick scrths rv.
    70S MS63+ about 5 nks, nks ov. rv
    71 MS64/5 f 6 sm hit, nks ov
    71D MS63/5 w/E 6, flaw in hair
    72 MS64+ E 6 lt t
    72D MS65/4 E 5.25 mky rv
    73 MS65 E 5.25, minor spotting
    74 MS63 f 5, scrts on obv. and rev., marky.
    74D MS64/5 f 5, scrt on coat, hit on chin
    75 MS63/4 f 5, scrps on forehead and brow, scrth rv.
    75D MS65 E -5 nk, die crack rv.
    76 MS64+ f -5 str-thru and wk qrtr step under 3rd pillar, colorful
    76D MS65 E -5 tick, 3 minor scrps ov, lt scrt l-field ov.
    77 MS64+ E -5 wk quarter on 5th, L+, scrpe forehead, few mks.
    77D MS64+ E 5.25, scrt hair, nks forehead
    78 MS63/5 f 5.25, six sm scrps, deep scrt in field ov.
    78-D MS64/5 f 5.25 scrps on coat
    79 MS63/5 f 5 scrps on coat
    79D MS64 m/f 5, de hair, spotty, L-
    80P MS63/5 4.75 2 nks, wk quarter, scrps nks on ck and forehead
    80D MS64 f 5 mks on high ck & rv field, scrp in hair.
    81P MS63 w/f -5 b left side, long scrt in hair, de.
    81D MS65 f -5 b
    82P MS64 E 5.25, cuts, scrts
    83P MS64/5 E 5,25, minor scrp, hits hair, not L, lt t
    83D MS64/5 f 5
    84P MS65 f 5.25
    84D MS65 f 5.25 tick
    85P MS64+ f 5.50. Mks, spot rv.
    87P MS66 E 6
    88P MS65 E 6, minor lt scat'd mks ov., t rv.
    89P MS65+ E/str 6 PL
    89D MS64+ E 5.75
    90P MS65 E 6, scrt coat
    91-P MS64 E -6, scrts on ck
    91D MS65 E -6
    92P MS65 E 6, tiny spot on ck
    92D MS66 E 6
    93P MS64/5 E 6
    93D MS65/6 E 6
    94D MS64 E 6 rough rim
    95P MS65 E 6
    95D MS65 E 6
    96P MS65 E 6
    96P MS65 E 6 lt scrts, nks on ck
    96D MS66 E -6n
    97-P MS64 E 6
    98-D MS64 E 6 PL
    99-P MS64+ E 6 spotty ov.
    00D MS64 E 6 mky ov.
    01D MS66 E 6
    02P MS66 E 6
    02D MS66 E 6 (226)

Feb 2022 21 coins
    38D MS64 E 6545 QSC, t, subtle L-, 4 ov. mks. spots
    39 r38 MS65/4 f 5445 QSC, lt. scrth hair, L, nice str.
    39D r38 MS64+ f/E 6544 QSC rough, nks. hvy t ov., colorful rv., L-, ov. lathe lines.
    39D r40 MS64 f -5.00 wk, hvy t, L-, nicely aged.
    39S r38 MS64+ f 5445 QSC, mks ov. L, gold t.
    40D MS65 f-/f 6, L, spots
    40S MS64 f/w strike oddity.
    41D MS65 f 5.25 T, L+
    41D MS65 f 6. L+, SPL, lt. scrts ov. and rv.
    41D MS64 f 6 L. De, possible D/D
    41D MS63+ w/str 6, de, L+
    41D MS65+ m+ -6 minor flaw and wkness, de, SPL
    41D MS65 f- 6, sm. scrt ov. field, SPL
    42D MS64 f 6, mky ck, fields. lt. scrt rv. De, SPL
    42D MS65 f 6 Colorful t, rough ck, nk, scrps ov., sevl scrts rv.
    42P MS65 f -5.25 nk, L+. lam, rim flaw
    42S 66/5 E steps b, L+ ov., t, rv.
    43P MS65+ E 5.50 lt marks on portrait, priphl t, L+.
    43P 64/5 f -6 tick b, mks portrait, lt. scrt coat, P/P
    43P 66/7 E/str 4.50 brs, L+. Minor mks chk, c spot nose
    43D 65+ E 6 L+, mks, scrts ov. rv., lt. spot chk (247)

April 2022 66 coins w/opinions
    44P 63+ f -6 nks, L, scrts ov. and rv. lt. mottle t, mky
    44D 66 E -5.25 2nks spot, L+, 3 nks rv.
    44D 65+ E 5.25 L+, 4-5 mks in hair, lg spot on UNITED
    44D 66/65+ E 5.25 L+, lg mk rv., lam. ov?
    45P 64+ f -5 wk/3rdP, L, lt T, mky
    45D 64+ f -6 6th wk, L, 2n 2 scrps ov. 3-4 n rv.
    47P 64/5 f -5nk lot of 6th, L, T, lg mks in hair
    47P 64+/65 f -5.00 b, L, t
    47D 65 f 5 L, minor mks
    47D 64 m+ -6nk, L- DE
    48D 64 f/m 5 L, lg mk ov
    48S 64 m+ -5nk b, L/L-
    48S 64 f -5 b, L, scrps/rub ov., minor mks DPL, SPL Dramatic S/S
    49P 64+ m+/f -5wk nk, L-, t
    49D 65 f -5 nks, L, nice t, spotty ov.
    50P 64 f steps nk wk, L-, flashy, hvy t
    51P 64+ m+/f steps rough, L+, very nice, lg cut on chk
    52P 63+ w/str c/steps nks, L-, t, mky
    52D 64+ f/m str -5nk b, L-,
    52S 63 m+ -5 nk, L, 9-10 hvy mks most on rv.
    54P 64 f -5 nks, L, mky, spotty
    55P 64+ f -5 n b, L-, mky
    55D 64+ m/w str c5544 QSC nks, L+, nice, wk details
    55D 64 w/f c5534 nks b's, flat ear
    58P 63w -5, nk, black
    58P 63+ m+/f str 5 minor nk, SPL, nice for the date, t
    58D 64+ f 5.50 L, t, hvy rv. nk, on nose, scp ov.
    59P 64 f 5 L-, t
    59D 64 m+/f 5 L
    62P 64 f -5nk, nice
    63 64+ f -5nk b, lt. t
    70S 65 f 5.50 b abr, PL S-T ck
    73d 65 E 5.25 L+
    75P 65 f 5 tick, L
    78D 64 f 5.50 mky, scrt, Raised spiral markings on coat
    85P 64+ f 5.25 HVY die polish lines ov. rv.
    85D 66 f 5 5th thin separation under 3rd & 4th pillar
    86D 65 f -5 tick/bump Lt scrat coat
    87D 65 f 5.50
    88P 64 spot, mky, minor scattered chicken flecks, PL
    88P 64 f/str unusual weak steps
    88P very worn dies, only 6th step shows.
    90D 64+ E -6 minor mks
    92D 63 E 6 PL scats, mky
    93P 64+ E 6 mky minor
    93P 65 E 6 PL mky minor
    93D 65 E 6
    94P 66 E 6
    94P 65 E 6 spot on ck
    94D 64 m/str 6 mky, less than full strike, planchet irregularities
    95P 65 E 6 PL
    95P 66 E 6 very nice
    95D 65+ E 6 PL
    96D 65+ E 6 PL
    97P 66 E/str 6
    98P 64 E 6 chicken scrts minor
    98D 65 E 6 minor lt. scrts
    99P 65 E 6 minor marks
    99D 65+ E 6
    00D 65 E 6 S-T rv.
    03D 65 E 6
    2-06P 65 planchet irregularities in fields
    06P 66
    06D 65 unusual weak steps
    2019D PF67? Explore & Disc.

313 new coins that are slowly being implemented into my collection with Capital and IS holders. Others will get new Mylar flips.

But I buy certified coins as well, mainly PCGS or ANACS when they meet my standards in strike, condition and steps. Never had much luck with NGC. A few in the lists would grade higher by another standard.
    My latest, have two for this date.

Besides answering the OP's question, the above lists shows how busy I can get sometimes. But at $40 a pop, it would take 5 figures to get them graded and graded again.....so..... Likely the same reason why they're still in their raw state. Nonetheless, a few are of very high quality. Coins usually speak for themselves and having the ability to discern what they're saying, well.... Whenever the opportunity arises, it's always a joy going through a good box!

Leo

Is this gonna be on the test?

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 7, 2023 5:23PM

Why.....certainly! 😏

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you guys get more joy in graded or raw coins? I seem to enjoy coins in 2 by 2's a whole lot more.

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

My local club (back when I attended) had 20 or so members. I brought some slabbed coins for show and tell and they looked at me like i was some sort of freak.

• HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a basically modern coin collector I prefer them raw as many of the Raw coins I have received look better than so called
    70 coins in slabs.

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file