Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

You've got half a million to buy a US coin.....

2»

Comments

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Floridafacelifter Well if you ever get tired of looking at it, just ask and I will gladly send you my address. I could never afford to buy it thou unless I won the lottery. Its STUNNING.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    FloridafacelifterFloridafacelifter Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:
    @Floridafacelifter Well if you ever get tired of looking at it, just ask and I will gladly send you my address. I could never afford to buy it thou unless I won the lottery. Its STUNNING.

Haha will do!

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would upgrade my Mercury Deme registry set!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

Land.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Floridafacelifter said:

@gumby1234 said:

@Floridafacelifter said:
    Nothing like a big flashy piece of proof gold!

Isn't that already your coin?

Yes indeed I was just thinking if I wanted to spend that much on a single coin a nice proof $20 just like this….

That’s how you know you made the right purchase!

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 774 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Most of you guys aren't playing along with the spirit of the OP's hypothetical question. It should have been "If you saved the life of a very wealthy person and they wanted to reward you by buying you a coin with a maximum value of $500,000, what coin would you want?"

I would ask for 7.8 Kilos of gold

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like a lot of frequent flier miles and working vacations searching for just that one prime example...that may cut into the half million dollar slush fund and it may take years, but I'm good with that. :D

• Options
    lsicalsica Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭✭

Btw if it was me it'd either be a high grade pre-closed collar (1834) proof or a high grade 19th century branch mint proof :smile:

Philately will get you nowhere....
  • Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭✭

I would think if it is in the Redbook it should be an option. therefore I would take a shot and see if any of the 4 owners of the Confederate Half Dollar have lost their job or something. James

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,791 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn’t spend all of it but I would like to buy as many PO01 gold coins as I could find and a PF30 Norse medal

• Options
    edited November 23, 2023 9:38PM

Realistically, I could own both of these for that sum. If I had to choose between the two, I'll take the 1910.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:
    Back from shopping at CoinFacts and found this lovely 1877 IHC in a 66+ for 345,000. That leaves me 155,000 to spend on reconsideration attempts.
    Once in a 67 I’ll have my half million dollar coin.

Yeah, but will it CAC again? :)

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:

@Coinscratch said:
    Back from shopping at CoinFacts and found this lovely 1877 IHC in a 66+ for 345,000. That leaves me 155,000 to spend on reconsideration attempts.
    Once in a 67 I’ll have my half million dollar coin.

Yeah, but will it CAC again? :)

Normally I would say I don’t care but at 500k I would definitely want that reassurance.

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭

Hmm, lots of possible choices; but I think a chain cent in "perfect" (for whatever grade that would get me for 500K) would be great, as would a "perfect" (again for the grade) 1794 dollar. Being as guilty as anyone of liking coins the bigger the better, I'd love to own a 500K 1794 dollar. :smile:

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭

(I see my response was a carbon copy of another's!) Basically though 500K, you figure you could get a stunning 1793 cent or a 1794 dollar, and either one would make for a great trophy coin. Many many other options, but wasn't sure if they'd reach 500K currently (but maybe in a high enough grade point they would.) Things like a gem matte proof Saint, etc etc. :smile:

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am with andy, the 1873-cc No Arrows Quarter, and if I am not mistaken, then BB coin did not sell quite that much(But I was at the BB sale and I loved it when i viewed it, may do more now, but I would take the xf just the same. Next choice would be the 1799 Large Cent in 61

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl said:
    Realistically, I could own both of these for that sum. If I had to choose between the two, I'll take the 1909.

I’ve never been a fan of the matte proof saints for some reason, but that 1910 with the Roman finish is stunning!

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be a Canadian coin, but I would still need a loan.......................

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2023 6:56PM

@FlyingAl said:
    Realistically, I could own both of these for that sum. If I had to choose between the two, I'll take the 1909.

Where is a 1909?

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:

@FlyingAl said:

Where is a 1909?

Better still whats a Roman finish?

• Options

@alaura22 said:

@FlyingAl said:

Where is a 1909?

My mistake. 1909 and 1910 Proof $20s were struck as Satin Proofs, which is why I accidentally typed 1909. They're similar, but I forgot I had put a '10 instead of an '09 in the post. I looked at the prices of both when I was making it.

Satin Proofs are sometimes referred to as "Roman Proofs". It's something Walter Breen made up, and I choose to use Satin Proofs as it actually describes the coins unlike the made up term.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:
    My first choice would actually be a pioneer issue, but if federal I’d go with this.

What pioneer issue?

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first thought was 1838-O half as that is a dream coin, but I doubt I could swing it for $500,000.
    So this would probably be the coin:

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:

@DeplorableDan said:
    My first choice would actually be a pioneer issue, but if federal I’d go with this.

What pioneer issue?

Founder- Peak Rarities
    Website
    Instagram
    Facebook

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,656 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:

@Zoins said:

@DeplorableDan said:

What pioneer issue?

There were commemorative restrikes of this coin made using the original die and gold recovered from the Central America and slabbed by PCGS graded "Gem Proof". They can be bought at a reasonable price over their melt value. APMEX has them among other sources.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Farmer1961Farmer1961 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

The one coin I spent my childhood looking through thousands of penny rolls was a 1943 copper Lincoln cent. So the highest grade I could purchase in an P, D or S mint.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

@johnny010 said:

This would be my choice as well.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unlike some others I'll assume that I want for nothing and $500K would be chump change. The title implies that you have that much for a coin purchase. I'd buy a high grade 93-S Morgan.

theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is a thread full of beautiful eye candy and great ideas. That kind of sum is so far out of my range I don't even know what to propose as a likely target, but I'm admiring all of yours.

mirabela
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fluffy155 said:
    It would be a toss up between the 1794 dollar and another coin that has always fascinated me, the 1796 no stars quarter eagle.

I think it would have to be the dollar though.

The 1796 No Stars Quarter Eagle is rarer, but cheaper. The survival estimate is under 100 for the quarter eagle and now around 150 for the dollar. Higher demand makes the dollar more expensive.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

Even if it didn't match the rest of my early halves.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    D808LFD808LF Posts: 421 ✭✭✭✭✭

1907 $10 Indian, Rolled Edge, MS65.

fka renman95, Sep 2005, 7,000 posts

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file