Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1796 Draped Bust Half Dollar - Will it reach $1,000,000+ ? What's your guess!

Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

1796 Draped Bust Half Dollar 15 Stars Overton 101 PCGS SP-65 already at $710,000 with 2 days left!
https://www.greatcollections.com/Coin/1464625/

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

Comments

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. Not without a CAC sticker

• Options

Up another 100 grand to reach $810,000 - 1 day, 5 hours left. Bidder #16 and #17 duking it out.

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    Up another 100 grand to reach $810,000 - 1 day, 5 hours left. Bidder #16 and #17 duking it out.

With the buyer's premium it's at $891,000 now if paying cash.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2023 3:52PM

I think it will hit 1$ million + that is one special coin!!!

Coin collecting interests: Latin America

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:

Why on earth would they do that???
    I don't get it,

• Options

@tradedollarnut said:

It's the finest of 2 coins, does it even matter?
    Does the 1933 Double Eagle have a CAC sticker? Does IT matter

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:

@tradedollarnut said:

#
    Maybe not on the '33 $20., but on this coin (the 1796 15 Star Half), I think it actually does matter. Study the images and you may see why.

Way out of my collecting pool though, so what do I know.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

@pursuitofliberty said:

@alaura22 said:

@tradedollarnut said:

#
    Maybe not on the '33 $20., but on this coin (the 1796 15 Star Half), I think it actually does matter. Study the images and you may see why.

Todd, I get it. I looked at the pics too............ :o
    But the point is, there are only 2 of them, so if you want to own one here is your chance
    Waaaaayyyyy out of my range, but always nice to look at :)

• Options

@pursuitofliberty said:

@alaura22 said:

@tradedollarnut said:

#

Todd, I get it. I looked at the pics too............
    But the point is, there are only 2 of them, so if you want to own one here is your chance
    Waaaaayyyyy out of my range, but always

• Options

When will the next opportunity come for these buyers maybe never again in their entire lives.

• Options

As for the Ops question
    I think that bidder #16 & bidder #17 get outbid by bidder #18 at the end and over 1.2 million

• Options

Is it not already in a sens over 1$ million I mean with the buyer's fee then add taxes on top of that the buyer is paying that already.

• Options
    edited November 18, 2023 7:20PM

"But Sir, are you sure you want to bid that high? You do realize the slab doesn't have a CAC sticker! :)

Like stated - I think a few higher bids may come in at the end........we shall see.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's an impressive coin and I feel like it very well may get to that 7 figure mark.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 617 ✭✭✭✭

All I know is that a cac sticker would have made $1M more reachable faster and probably eclipse it definitively.

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

@Steven59 said:
    Up another 100 grand to reach $810,000 - 1 day, 5 hours left. Bidder #16 and #17 duking it out> @RobertScotLover said:
    All I know is that a cac sticker would have made $1M more reachable faster and probably eclipse it definitively.

Likely already made the trip for a try at a CAC sticker? .. didn't get it ?

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the drastic difference between the GC shots and the TrueView, the lack of a CAC bean, and some minor issues will hurt this one in the long run. Granted, it's way out of my league, but if it were in my league this would not be a coin I'd consider spending seven figures on.

As to those joking about the forum members saying that it won't go as high as it would with a bean... why are you joking? There is a reason this one didn't bean, and that's what probably is hurting the coin in the long run. If this coin didn't have those issues that precluded a bean, then I'd almost certainly guarantee it would go much, much, much higher than it will tomorrow. Buyers at this level aren't stupid, or they have advisors that aren't stupid. They know the exact reason this thing didn't sticker, and they're paying an amount knowing they'll have to live with that reason/issue on the coin. It's not about the sticker, it's about the issue with the coin.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it has a real good shot of hitting $1 million, b/c sticker or no it’s a really decent coin.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tradedollarnut said:

Did you start to sculpture as well?

• Options
    HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2023 12:01PM

At the current $810K bid, it’s a really good chance. And it could come flying in from an outside bidder(s) just waiting to see what they would probably have to actually pay at the end.
    As if it’s worth it, I have no idea. It wouldn’t be to me, my bid limit at GC would see to that!😉

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

You must have to be pre approved to bid on a coin like this…right ? Or not. I could afford 10% of the buyers premium.

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would it sell for more in a cacg holder a half or one point less?

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2023 8:59AM

First, I think that this coin has probably gone to CAC and didn't pass. The reason might be because of luster issues. I have not seen this coin in person, so this is all speculation. The photos don't make look it overly lustrous, but the design details are very sharp. For that reason I might question the SP-65. I might call it a point lower, but like I said, I have not seen it in person.

Many years ago, in the '70s, I saw one of these coins that blew my socks off at a coin show. The price was $45,000, but for me it may as well been $1 million. I also had 20 something year old less experienced eyes.

I'll present this piece from my collection which flunked at CAC. This is the finest known example of the Overton 120 die variety by a wide margin. It is PCGS graded AU-58. Here are some auction house and dealer photos of the piece.

Here are a couple of my photos.

All of these photos are accurate depending upon how the light hits the coin. If you use my photos, it's a flunk. If you use the dealer photos, I'd say it could pass CAC.

I liked the coin so I bought it knowing full well that it had flunked the test. If it had passed the test, I wouldn't own it because the price would have been even more.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2023 9:05AM

Bill is correct in that you gotta know WHY it didn’t pass at CAC to value the coin. If JA agreed it was a no brainer specimen but quibbled a bit on the solidness of the grade, well then $1M is within reach even without the sticker. On the other hand, if JA was mystified as to why it got graded a specimen, we are witnessing a real time financial burial.

Knoxville is one heck of a provenance so overall I suspect the quality for the grade is all there.

• Options
    ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭

This coin is way out of my league. That said, I find the Pogue coin far more appealing and an exceptional piece no matter what the stated “grade” is.

• Options
    HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 19, 2023 11:59AM

@JimTyler said:
    You must have to be pre approved to bid on a coin like this…right ? Or not. I could afford 10% of the buyers premium.

>
    Pre-approved only has to have a high enough bid limit. GC starts at 10k but with references that’s raised substantially. And then once you pay timely, you get another raise in limit. Don’t know about subsequent purchases, as I’ve only made one.👍

• Options

"Bidder 18" just joined the fray with a bid of $900,000...................

• Options

@Steven59 said:
    "Bidder 18" just joined the fray with a bid of $900,000...................

So it has passed 1$ million already with the 12.5% commission and so very close with the 10% commission.

• Options
    EliteCollectionEliteCollection Posts: 149 ✭✭✭✭

Just broke $1M

• Options

Closing in 1 hour.

• Options

Holding at $910,000 - 10 minutes left

• Options
    edited November 19, 2023 7:20PM

Make that $930 000 + the juice!!! I am sure the seller did well I wonder what he paid over 20 years ago for the coin.

• Options

@alaura22 said:
    As for the Ops question
    I think that bidder #16 & bidder #17 get outbid by bidder #18 at the end and over 1.2 million

Pretty Close I'd say....................... :)

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin, a hammered early strike on a new design:

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    GoBustGoBust Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a pretty amazing coin. Wish I had seen it in hand to understand it better. Congrats to the new owner!

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 617 ✭✭✭✭

What a gorgeous half, congratulations to the new caretaker

• Options
    privaterarecoincollectorprivaterarecoincollector Posts: 629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2023 3:14AM

I know the coin since 2003 when it was in a NGC SP 66 holder. Beautiful coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file