Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1966 Kennedy Half Dollar First Day First Issue.....seeking info.

OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone have any information or knowledge on this issue? It looks like some type of after market product. It doesn't look like the envelope has ever been tampered with. The coin is embedded in cardboard, which makes the envelope thicker. I'm just wondering if there's any documentation in the envelope or who may have issued this.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2023 8:07PM

I've seen those covers. Whatever company made them issued them for lots of different coins, including foreign.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

At one time those covers and many like them were coin shop "bargain box" regulars. Perhaps they still are. Unfortunately, I can't recall the name of the company that made them.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@TomB said:
    This type of thing was really common in the 1960s when stamp collecting was far, far more popular in the US than it is today. I've never owned one of these, but these were issued to commemorate the first day of issue of the stamp and not the first day of issue of the dated coin. The coin was included so it would stand out from the crowded field of other first day of issue stamp products and to get folks to buy the product.

Damn! Really? Now that is interesting!! First day of issue of the stamp? I had know idea.. Thanks very much for that! 👍🏻 So this thing is probably worth more to stamp collectors then coin collectors. I should have posted it in the stamp forum. 🤣 😂

Thanks again Tom

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    This type of thing was really common in the 1960s when stamp collecting was far, far more popular in the US than it is today. I've never owned one of these, but these were issued to commemorate the first day of issue of the stamp and not the first day of issue of the dated coin. The coin was included so it would stand out from the crowded field of other first day of issue stamp products and to get folks to buy the product.

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not saying you're wrong, but here (link below) it says: "Beginning on August 1, 1966, the Mint began to strike 1966-dated pieces, and thereafter it resumed the normal practice of striking the current year's date on each piece."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennedy_half_dollar

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

FDC for the stamp was 1964. The OP's envelope is the FDC for the coin.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2023 3:43PM

Looks like I was wrong on this one.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    ELVIS1ELVIS1 Posts: 159 ✭✭✭

The amazing thing is that it's a nickel stamp.

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ELVIS1 said:

Not really. It was 60 years ago. What else cost 5 cents in 1964 and only costs 66 cents today?

• Options

@TomB said:
    Looks like I was wrong on this one.

You weren't completely wrong. I have seen exactly what you were describing, i.e. a coin in a FDC but the postmark is dated the first day the stamp was issued, not the coin. Before buying something like this item it pays to do a little research.

• Options

I now seem to remember that the company that made them was called the 99 Company. Correct me if I am wrong.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@291fifth said:
    I now seem to remember that the company that made them was called the 99 Company. Correct me if I am wrong.

You have any links or information on that 99 Company?

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NJCoin said:

@TomB said:

Not that stamp. That one was issued in 1964 after the assassination. That's definitely a First Day of Issue for the coin.

If that was a FDOI for the stamp, the postmark would say so.

This.
    We've owned a couple over time. I think the company that made the covers may have had them canceled to order.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2023 5:44PM

That's not a stamp FDC. The 1st day of issue must refer to the coin.

• Options

@NJCoin said:

@TomB said:

Not that stamp. That one was issued in 1964 after the assassination. That's definitely a First Day of Issue for the coin.

Slight correction for future reference. The postmark doesn't always say 1st Day of Issue unless you are the official release city (or cities). There are unofficial philatelic 1st days that don't say it in the postmark. You see this a lot if the marketer wants a city related to the coin or event. Not that this is what this is. This at least purports to be a coin release 1st day

• Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭✭

The amazing thing is that the envelope was mailed with the coin showing and they all made it to their destination back then.

The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options

@PhillyJoe said:
    The amazing thing is that the envelope was mailed with the coin showing and they all made it to their destination back then.

It was likely a courtesy cancel. It may have never gone through the mail, at least not with that as the external (unaddressed) envelope.

• Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe it's a legitimate first day of issue for the 1966 half dollar. The 1964 date was frozen on coins through most of 1965. 1965 dated coins weren't struck until late in the year, with the "new" clad quarters being released first in the fall of '65. I got my first 1965 cents and halves in January 1966. 1965-dated coins were produced during the first half of 1966 for the sake of continuity. If my memory is correct, most off the 1966 dated denominations were released in August. I hadn't read about the halves being available, but when I visited my local coin shop in the first week of August, they had them, and I got a PL specimen for 80 cents. By the end of the month, cents were available. Dimes and quarters were released about the same time, but for some reason nickels weren't available until later in the year.

Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@TomB said:

Slight correction for future reference. The postmark doesn't always say 1st Day of Issue unless you are the official release city (or cities). There are unofficial philatelic 1st days that don't say it in the postmark. You see this a lot if the marketer wants a city related to the coin or event. Not that this is what this is. This at least purports to be a coin release 1st day

Is that really a slight correction at all, or just an excuse to argue? I said "if that was a FDOI for the stamp, the postmark would say so." An "unofficial philatelic 1st day" isn't a FDOI for the stamp, is it? It's just an envelope postmarked somewhere other than where the stamp was issued on the same day.

• Options
    edited November 15, 2023 7:50PM

@NJCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@NJCoin said:

@TomB said:

Is that really a slight correction at all, or just an excuse to argue? I said "if that was a FDOI for the stamp, the postmark would say so." An "unofficial philatelic 1st day" isn't a FDOI for the stamp, is it? It's just an envelope postmarked somewhere other than where the stamp was issued on the same day.

It's not an invitation to argue, though you seem to want to. It was just to make sure the correct information was out there. They are still generally considered FDOI covers, even if not at the official city. What else would you call a stamp cancelled on its 1st day of issue?

Some price guides will list a price for the official city (cities) and an alternate price for "any city". This is less common, admittedly, for more modern covers. I think this is partly because the prices are simply so low and the official ones so common.

And while also not relevant here, prior to the late 1930s, even the official cities did not have special cancels. So, it is really only the date itself that matters to 1st day determination.

For early covers, unofficial cities might well be scarcer as the stamps had not gotten out to all post offices on the first day. The unofficial cities from the 1920s, for example, tend to be more valuable than the official cities.

There are even collectors who prefer unofficial covers as they eschew the FDOI cancels as being artificial and not representing actual postal usage.

Everyone join a stamp club near you!

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

Everyone join a stamp club near you!

Sure thing, and I'll ride my unicorn to the weekly meetings. :D

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

@291fifth said:

I looked online and couldn't find anything. They probably went out of business before there was an internet.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

@291fifth said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@291fifth said:

I looked online and couldn't find anything. They probably went out of business before there was an internet.

I look also and couldn't find anything. Thanks for checking.

• Options

There are some similar (different coins) on ebay, but no maker identified.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is some history of the company and some of its products in the Stamp Community Family thread below-

https://stampcommunity.org/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35628

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@TomB said:
    There is some history of the company and some of its products in the Stamp Community Family thread below-

https://stampcommunity.org/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35628

Yes, the envelope and displayed coin looks somewhat similar. And that thread went back to 2014.

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the Forum in 2003. It has an old link but I didn't go to it and a little information (similar to stamp link above).

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/214100/ever-heard-of-99-company

Apparently they did some online event back in 2021. Not much info other than that at this Facebook link.

https://www.facebook.com/events/d41d8cd9/john-miles-baker-and-the-magnificent-99-company/1259990854474352/

As noted above several of these pop up for sale (now or in the past) on a search.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kind of ironic this envelope. The JFK stamp/coin connection with the San Clemente post mark. San Clemente being Nixon's home and the intertwining of the 2 political figures and their historical backgrounds.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NJCoin said:

@ELVIS1 said:

Not really. It was 60 years ago. What else cost 5 cents in 1964 and only costs 66 cents today?

Well, a nickel still only costs a nickel.

B)

peacockcoins

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

@NJCoin said:

@ELVIS1 said:

B)

Not to the government. Costs the g'ment more than that to make it.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

The cancellation stamp is unusual in that San Clemente's PO back then was probably a whopping 500 sq. feet.

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@braddick said:

@NJCoin said:

@ELVIS1 said:

B)

True... but not 66 cents...yet

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@braddick said:

@NJCoin said:

@ELVIS1 said:

B)

And more for me to buy it, especially if it's a nice error or variety. :D

• Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,726 ✭✭✭✭✭

If my memory serves me correct, the 99 company in San Clemente was started and owned by a gentleman named Maurice Gould (his last name might be spelled differently)

A very nice guy who I met numerous times at Long Beach and other LA coin shows in the 1970s

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file