Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Ever heard of 99 Company??

It was started in California in 1965 by a man named John Miles Baker. They put out coins in little sealed envelopes with a story and stamp on each one. Any idea of the value of these and what happened to the company?? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    My online search proved mostly fruitless other than a geneolgy chart. Seems he married a Jenkins girl.
    Thats all I could find.
  • Options
    Oops. Mine was on a J M Baker of the post-civil war era. Probably not your guy huh.image
  • Options
    searched on "99 Company John Miles Baker" and found this

Site hasn't been updated since May 2002. None of the buttons worked for me,
  • Options
    Well, I,ll be horn-swoggled. There ya go.

Good job Bo.
  • Options
    Okay, found a little info on this company. They were in the business of limited edition PNC's / first day issue coins....Philatelic-numismatic combinations. They needed a way to prove that the coins were first day issue, so they packaged them with a postmark stamp to prove that in fact they were first day issue. They put the coins in little white envelopes with a window to make the coins visible. They were then sealed with a stamp over the opening to prove that it wasn't previously opened, postmarked and then sealed again in a plastic envelope. I guess their whole idea was to combine stamp and coin collecting. They started out with U.S. coins and then went on to include foreign coins. My family has a few examples, but we have no further info on their value. Apparently some of these PNC's reside in the National Geographic museums and the Smithsonian Institute.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file