Home Sports Talk
Options

Eagles vs Chiefs - The rematch

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking forward to this, a rematch of last year's epic Super Bowl, how do you see this one playing out?

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

28-17 Chiefs

Going to be an epic game but KC will pull away late I'm thinking

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭✭

going to be a great game, i hope. i really dont know which way this one will go. KC for some reason, just hasnt looked the same to me this year. I guess I will go with Philly. I have no idea the point total, but i think it will be close.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a psychology, as a fan, that I applied to huge games like this (back when my team played huge games like this, LOL)

I used to want the Patriots to play well, but didn't stress them winning, and in fact almost preferred a loss. This was particularly true if I saw that other team as one that would stand in our way of a SB appearance

If I was a KC fan, I would alter that for this game. I feel as though playing well and getting the W is key. Particularly because it is a non-conference game, and the only potential rematch would be the SB.

Actually, scratch that. Now that I think about it, I will stick with my original idea. Why , you ask? Well, if KC beats them, that means they have beaten them twice in a row. And a SB rematch will be third time's a charm for a Philly win.

So, if I am a KC fan, I want to look good but lose. Playing well is the key though, as KC has been under performing. They want to come out of this game with improved confidence.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have to know if Taylor will be there before my choice. :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had absolutely no intention of reading the article, however I couldn't help but see the headline on some news and sports websites I follow, that Taylor and Travis were seen kissing.

My sincere apologizes for the visual, but I had to mention this to make my following point. There was no other choice.

I think this nauseating, repulsive, barf bag event may jinx the Chiefs for the upcoming game.

• Options

Eagles 24
    Chiefs 20

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Have to know if Taylor will be there before my choice. :)

Taylor will be doing the halftime show.

And the pre-game show, and the post-game show.

Also a short show in between the quarters.

Along with a very short show during the timeouts.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

Eagles vs Chiefs - The rematch....how do you see this one playing out?

I already feel the anxiety and panic attacks.... :)

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    There is a psychology, as a fan, that I applied to huge games like this (back when my team played huge games like this, LOL)

I used to want the Patriots to play well, but didn't stress them winning, and in fact almost preferred a loss. This was particularly true if I saw that other team as one that would stand in our way of a SB appearance

If I was a KC fan, I would alter that for this game. I feel as though playing well and getting the W is key. Particularly because it is a non-conference game, and the only potential rematch would be the SB.

Actually, scratch that. Now that I think about it, I will stick with my original idea. Why , you ask? Well, if KC beats them, that means they have beaten them twice in a row. And a SB rematch will be third time's a charm for a Philly win.

So, if I am a KC fan, I want to look good but lose. Playing well is the key though, as KC has been under performing. They want to come out of this game with improved confidence.

With all due respect, maybe go for a walk and get some fresh air.
    Because that was bizarre.
    I’m not even going to hope the chiefs lose even in the pats situation hoping to get a high draft pick.
    Sorry not wired that way.

Look good but lose?
    Now I’ve read it all! 😨

• Options

@Darin said:

@thisistheshow said:

I’m not even going to hope the chiefs lose even in the pats situation hoping to get a high draft pick.

Look good but lose?
    Now I’ve read it all! 😨

Ok, I am going to defend myself here. Even Galaxy gave you an agree, and I guess he is referring to you (I'm paraphrasing) calling me insane. But hear me out...

I came up with this philosophy at some point during the two decade time period known as the Patriots double dynasty.

As other Patriots fans will conquer, it eventually became SB or bust for the Patriots. At some point we had a very large sample size of seasons to work with. I watched the Giants beat the Patriots in the 07 SB. If anyone doesn't remember, that was the undefeated year. The Patriots and Giants played in the last week of the regular season. I had no way of knowing that they would meet in the SB. But I did feel like my team was SB bound. And I remember thinking that a loss would potentially be a good thing, to shake them into reality and prepare them for the more important things. They ended up beating the Giants, but the Giants came out of that game with the confidence that thy could beat the Pats. When the SB rolled around, the Giants were confident.

@darin, your team is in the midst of what (if we zoom out and take a macro view) is quite possibly a dynasty run. And you just might look back , like I do, and think like I do someday.

Or maybe you will still just think I am crazy.

et tu, @galaxy27?

• Options

I'm sorry, but it's my job to do everything possible to jinx the Chiefs in this game. So please don't knock me too hard, I'm just doing my job, okay?

• Options

I probably shouldn't share a PM, so this is a first for me. But DD sent me a PM stating that if the Chiefs win this game, that he will then use a Taylor Swift pic for his avatar.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@Darin said:

@thisistheshow said:

Look good but lose?
    Now I’ve read it all! 😨

Ok, I am going to defend myself here. Even Galaxy gave you an agree, and I guess he is referring to you (I'm paraphrasing) calling me insane. But hear me out...

I came up with this philosophy at some point during the two decade time period known as the Patriots double dynasty.

As other Patriots fans will conquer, it eventually became SB or bust for the Patriots. At some point we had a very large sample size of seasons to work with. I watched the Giants beat the Patriots in the 07 SB. If anyone doesn't remember, that was the undefeated year. The Patriots and Giants played in the last week of the regular season. I had no way of knowing that they would meet in the SB. But I did feel like my team was SB bound. And I remember thinking that a loss would potentially be a good thing, to shake them into reality and prepare them for the more important things. They ended up beating the Giants, but the Giants came out of that game with the confidence that thy could beat the Pats. When the SB rolled around, the Giants were confident.

@darin, your team is in the midst of what (if we zoom out and take a macro view) is quite possibly a dynasty run. And you just might look back , like I do, and think like I do someday.

et tu, @galaxy27?

Showtime- I don’t think you’re crazy and I probably shouldn’t have said your post was bizarre so I apologize for that. But I still can’t think of a scenario where I would want KC to lose a game. The Chiefs beat the Broncos 16 times in a row so why couldn’t they beat the Eagles 16 times straight.
    As far as high draft picks, the Chiefs picked Todd Blackledge with a high pick when they could have had Marino. And they had a low draft pick, traded up a few spots and got Mahomes.

• Options

Pats fans, where did Brady go in the draft?
    So why the obsession with a high draft pick?

• Options
    edited November 14, 2023 1:26PM

@Darin said:

Well a 6th round Tom Brady Clone twice?

1000000000000% impossible

We got a much better chance with a high draft pick lol

• Options

@Darin said:

Of course it is folly to believe that a higher pick means future success.

But we are in territory not seen in decades. Relegated to the others.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Darin said:

Well a 7th round Tom Brady Clone twice?

Especially when you consider that Brady was drafted in the 6th.

😂 😜

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@Darin said:

😂 😜

I knew that and forgot to edit my post lol

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:
    I probably shouldn't share a PM, so this is a first for me. But DD sent me a PM stating that if the Chiefs win this game, that he will then use a Taylor Swift pic for his avatar.

No such PM was sent, just for that, when the Cowboys thrash the Eagles on December 10th, I'm going to make you use this as your avatar!

😄😄😄😄😄😄😄😄
    👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the perfect idea for game time dinner on Monday night in the making…

I’ll start with some fried bird…

and topped with…

:)

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

No such PM was sent, just for that, when the Cowboys thrash the Eagles on December 10th, I'm going to make you use this as your avatar!

Just for the record. I have not made that avatar bet yet. I'll have to see how both teams are playing at that time, and only then will i decide.

I take winning my avatar bets very seriously. I don't take kindly to losing, even when it's in fun for no money. If I'm remembering right, I've only over the years ever lost one avatar bet out of around 15 or so.

I only take risks in business or whatever when the odds are in my favor. So I'll see what the line is for that week, evaluate the situation, and make my executive decision accordingly. 😉

• Options

@GroceryRackPack said:
    I have the perfect idea for game time dinner on Monday night in the making…

I’ll start with some fried bird…

and topped with…

>

:)

Eagles are a protected species. 😉

• Options

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@Darin said:

😂 😜

I knew that and forgot to edit my post lol

I knew ya knew, I'm just bustin your b....😀

• Options
    edited November 14, 2023 4:08PM

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

Just for the record. I have not made that avatar bet yet. I'll have to see how both teams are playing at that time, and only then will i decide.

I take winning my avatar bets very seriously. I don't take kindly to losing, even when it's in fun for no money. If I'm remembering right, I've only over the years ever lost one avatar bet out of around 15 or so.

I only take risks in business or whatever when the odds are in my favor. So I'll see what the line is for that week, evaluate the situation, and make my executive decision accordingly. 😉

You're a very diabolical and calculating man, I'm impressed, but I can be just as diabolical. This isn't over by a long shot, we will meet again, you haven't heard the last of this fake Cowboys fan!

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

You're a very diabolical and calculating man, I'm impressed, but I can be just as diabolical. This isn't over by a long shot, we will meet again, you haven't heard the last of this fake Cowboys fan!

https://youtu.be/lTJj4wbmAhk?feature=shared

• Options

Next thing you know we may hear is Swift influencing the point spread of KC games.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

From a gambling standpoint I can't come up with a definitive choice for this game or the Balt/Cinn. game. They are seemingly evenly matched. So no bets. Just will sit back and hopefully enjoy 2 good football games with 4 quality teams. Which should be easier with no $ involved.

• Options

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

If I remember correctly I think I lost an avatar bet with you over the cursed Eagles victory over my Pats in the Super bowl or it was @Darin over a Pats Chiefs game I can't quite remember

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Next thing you know we may hear is Swift influencing the point spread of KC games.

Dam you just gave me a great idea. I'm gonna send the Eagles a fake note from Taylor saying something like, " You bad Eagles, don't you dare win this game against my Travis."

The Eagles coach will post it on their bulletin board, and the Eagles win by 40 points. 😂

• Options

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

If I remember correctly I think I lost an avatar bet with you over the cursed Eagles victory over my Pats in the Super bowl or it was @Darin over a Pats Chiefs game I can't quite remember

I'm sure you remember Lawnmowerman. Huge Cowboys fan with a premier collection of Emmitt Smith cards and memorabilia.

There were some seasons the Eagles were heads and tails better than the Cowboys. Sometimes the Cowboys were double digit dogs, but Matt would make the avatar bet anyway.

A few times we made the avatar bet the first game of the season for the Eagles/Cowboys matchup, and the avatar had to stay there until the next Eagles/Cowboys game. Well Matt would lose the bet of course with the Cowboys a hopeless dog, and then change his avatar to an Eagles avatar.

Well an unexpected consequence. Matt posted a lot in the Trading Cards forum, and some in the Trading Cards forum don't post or view here at Sports Talk. So they would notice Matt's new avatar there, they knew what a huge Cowboy's fan he was, and they would sincerely inquire in a post to Matt in a nice way, something like, "I always thought you were a Dallas Cowboys fan?"

That was hilarious, and of course Matt had to go into an explanation as to what happened. 🤣

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,489 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like bad week. The Eagles have to play Kansas City at home while the Cowboys go to play the last place Carolina Panthers. When do the Cowboys get to play Kansas City?

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@stevek said:

@perkdog said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

I'm sure you remember Lawnmowerman. Huge Cowboys fan with a premier collection of Emmitt Smith cards and memorabilia.

There were some seasons the Eagles were heads and tails better than the Cowboys. Sometimes the Cowboys were double digit dogs, but Matt would make the avatar bet anyway.

A few times we made the avatar bet the first game of the season for the Eagles/Cowboys matchup, and the avatar had to stay there until the next Eagles/Cowboys game. Well Matt would lose the bet of course with the Cowboys a hopeless dog, and then change his avatar to an Eagles avatar.

Well an unexpected consequence. Matt posted a lot in the Trading Cards forum, and some in the Trading Cards forum don't post or view here at Sports Talk. So they would notice Matt's new avatar there, they knew what a huge Cowboy's fan he was, and they would sincerely inquire in a post to Matt in a nice way, something like, "I always thought you were a Dallas Cowboys fan?"

That was hilarious, and of course Matt had to go into an explanation as to what happened. 🤣

@lawnmowerman was awesome, great guy

• Options

@BillJones said:
    Looks like bad week. The Eagles have to play Kansas City at home while the Cowboys go to play the last place Carolina Panthers. When do the Cowboys get to play Kansas City?

The Eagles are 2 1/2 point dogs in this upcoming game against the Chiefs. But the books normally give the home team an automatic 3 points when setting the lines. So on a neutral field, technically the Eagles are a 1/2 point favorite.

The Eagles have an impressive 4-1 record this season on the road. So hopefully the Chiefs fan's crowd noise won't bother the Eagles players all too much.

• Options

@Darin said:

@thisistheshow said:

@Darin said:

@thisistheshow said:

Look good but lose?
    Now I’ve read it all! 😨

et tu, @galaxy27?

Showtime- I don’t think you’re crazy and I probably shouldn’t have said your post was bizarre so I apologize for that. But I still can’t think of a scenario where I would want KC to lose a game. The Chiefs beat the Broncos 16 times in a row so why couldn’t they beat the Eagles 16 times straight.
    As far as high draft picks, the Chiefs picked Todd Blackledge with a high pick when they could have had Marino. And they had a low draft pick, traded up a few spots and got Mahomes.

Darin, if the Chiefs were 2-8 and not making the playoffs, why would you want them to win? I get that the draft is an inexact science, but I think we can all agree that higher draft choices are better than lower ones?

• Options

@Darin said:

yes, they did hit on the one in a million... we all know that will never happen again.

but higher draft picks are always better. more value as trade bait as well

• Options

Whatever happened to lawnmowerman?

• Options

@craig44 said:

@Darin said:

@thisistheshow said:

@Darin said:

@thisistheshow said:

Look good but lose?
    Now I’ve read it all! 😨

et tu, @galaxy27?

Darin, if the Chiefs were 2-8 and not making the playoffs, why would you want them to win? I get that the draft is an inexact science, but I think we can all agree that higher draft choices are better than lower ones?

Because 3-8 is better than 2-9.
    Nothing else enters into it.
    But I hope you get your wish and the pats end up at 2-15. 🥳

• Options

It would be cool to see Belechick post his worst regular season record this year. 5-11 is his worst so far with the Browns and Pats. I think he can beat that and at least go 3-14.
    Anything to tarnish Billy Boys overall record is a win. Meanwhile here comes Andy Reid to take the title of best current coach.

• Options
    edited November 15, 2023 10:11AM

@craig44 said:

He came back after a long absence but disappeared again.

I know all the PSA castaways had a pretty active private forum years ago, I was there for a bit but it was too much so I got away from it, not sure if it's still going or not

• Options

@stevek said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

Dam you just gave me a great idea. I'm gonna send the Eagles a fake note from Taylor saying something like, " You bad Eagles, don't you dare win this game against my Travis."

The Eagles coach will post it on their bulletin board, and the Eagles win by 40 points. 😂

I did a little looking around last night and found the perfect avatar for you the next time we make a bet. Here you go, be afraid Steve, be very afraid.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

I know all the PSA castaways had a pretty active private forum years ago, I was there for a bit but it was too much so I got away from it, not sure if it's still going or not

https://popforum.space/index.php

AKA "open forum refuge". Is that what you are referring to?

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

I did a little looking around last night and found the perfect avatar for you the next time we make a bet. Here you go, be afraid Steve, be very afraid.

I'll say this as nice as i can. You've got me very close to the tipping point whereby I may be forced to make an avatar bet in the next Eagles/Cowboys game. I may not care if the Cowboys are favored by 50 points. However I'm not there yet, and won't be if I can control my temper. But an Eagles fan can only stand so much abuse, before he has to act to defend himself and the Eagles.

😉

• Options

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

I was wondering the same thing, if it's still going or not. I can't recall the name of it. "Cardboard" something?

When Matt first opened it, I think almost every poster in Sports Talk and Trading Cards signed up. So did I. Not that there was anything wrong with the CU forum, of course not, but Matt allowed all sorts of discussion on there including politics, etc.

I got away from it as well, which had nothing to do with Matt or any poster on there.

• Options

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

I'll say this as nice as i can. You've got me very close to the tipping point whereby I may be forced to make an avatar bet in the next Eagles/Cowboys game. I may not care if the Cowboys are favored by 50 points. However I'm not there yet, and won't be if I can control my temper. But an Eagles fan can only stand so much abuse, before he has to act to defend himself and the Eagles.

😉

I'll ease up for now, I realize you have a lot to worry about this week with your Eagles going into a very tough Kansas City environment.

• Options
    edited November 15, 2023 10:59AM

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

No, it had a similar look but that's definitely not it

You had to have a specific invite with the link from Matt to join, it was years ago I can't remember the specifics

• Options

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

You had to have a specific invite with the link from Matt to join, it was years ago I can't remember the specifics

Ok. The place I linked has a lot of people from here, either banned or posting simultaneously.

• Options

@stevek, I'm just picking with you, in all honesty I think it's going to be a very hard fought game, the Eagles are going to have revenge on their minds and they'll be ready to play. It's probably going to come down to which team can make the fewest mistakes late in the game. I could see this one going either way.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

Ok. The place I linked has a lot of people from here, either banned or posting simultaneously.

Interesting, maybe it morphed into that from the previous forum idk like I said it's been years

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

No, the Open Forum Refuge, if that's the right name for it, I'm not sure, was started mostly by the coin guys, because the CU "Open Forum" as it was called back then, which allowed almost any sort of chat, got closed for various reasons.

Pondering it a little more, I think Matt's forum may have been called "Cardboard Talk", not 100% sure.