Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Baltimore Show Starts Today...

ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't see any posts about the Baltimore show, so thought I would write something. Especially, since I made the trip myself - haven't been in Baltimore in a while due to other priorities.

Looking forward to a good show - seems like a lot of people are in town for it - going by who I saw in the hotel lobby late last night.

• Ian
Ian Russell
Owner/Founder GreatCollections
GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values

Comments

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭✭✭

One day I'll make this show. For now I'll read the reports.

• Options
    1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

any dealers at this show deal in Sample Slabs? I know one west coast dealer, but do not know of any on the East coast.

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,840 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll be there tomorrow around lunchtime...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    jerseybenjerseyben Posts: 114 ✭✭✭
    edited November 9, 2023 10:12AM

3, 2, 1... Until people start complaining about how this show is unsafe to attend. Yes, I well be there.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope reports have photos. Any exhibit photos will be appreciated.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    ApplejacksApplejacks Posts: 384 ✭✭✭

Yes would enjoy seeing some pics

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a show that I would attend.

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not attending, but need 1886 Liberty 5C PCGS MS64…..find one earn yourself $200!

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

I continue to be amazed by this "crime issue" - this is IMHO a complete non-entity. Common sense being the order of the day of course, but I have seen NOTHING of concern ever in more than 30 years...

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tell Kevin it’s too damn hard to join his website. Louis is great but they need to make it easy :-)

Awesome on the show. Based on my experience earlier this year I didn’t go back. The show was lacking collector traffic and had “no energy”. I never felt unsafe and still had fun, but Florida Sunmer Fun and Pittsburgh had an “awesome feel” and I’ll be returning to those if and when the time comes.

Next up Vegas and Floria Winter.

• Options

The November and March shows much better at Baltimore than the June shows...

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2023 11:48AM

Gerry Fortin reported very robust sales in this morning’s daily blog entry.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2023 12:13PM

Retail certainly seems strong, but dealer to dealer seemed very quiet. Caveat; I was only there yesterday.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone see JA there?

• Options

I thought the show was much quieter than years past. Did the early bird and no huge crowd and barely noticed the noon “surge” of public people getting in. 50 or more empty tables yesterday? My buddy there today said a lot of dealers were packing up late this afternoon.

• Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DeplorableDan said:
    Anyone see JA there?

Yes, he attended the show yesterday and today.

• Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values
  • Options

Was our friend Andy there?

• Options
    JimWJimW Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭

I'll be stopping by tomorrow morning to drop off some coins at GC and PCGS. Yes I know there will be many empty tables....

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

My buddy has a table at the show and just told me the following:

Very busy. Constantly busy. Barely have time to process new purchases. Haven't been able to venture out to walk the show. We still have to process coins to be slabbed that must be submitted by 11am tomorrow.

Looks like the show is a big success!😎

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars said:
    Was our friend Andy there?

Yes he is at the show!

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gerry Fortin had a very different show assessment in today’s blog, based on yesterday’s results.

There was a lack of collector attendance as the bourse never achieved a hum. After a great day on Thursday, there were reasonable expectations for Friday sales that never materialized. In quantitative terms, GFRC's Friday sales amounted to 6% of Thursday sales. I've never seen such a weak Friday at either a Fall or Spring show. Clearly the issue was lack of collector attendance as the bourse was close to empty by 1:30 PM. Usually, on a Friday, the PCGS and NGC submission booths will be five to ten people deep waiting for a seat to conduct their submission. At this show, there was never a queue. One could walk up to the any of the three booth, including CACG, immediately securing a seat. This is yet more corroboration of the lack of show attendance.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    Gerry Fortin had a very different show assessment in today’s blog, based on yesterday’s results.

Usually, on a Friday, the PCGS and NGC submission booths will be five to ten people deep waiting for a seat to conduct their submission. At this show, there was never a queue. One could walk up to the any of the three booth, including CACG, immediately securing a seat. This is yet more corroboration of the lack of show attendance._

The grading companies have almost gone out of their way to avoid/prevent show grading at Baltimore now. They either need to bring this back at all 3 Baltimore shows, or not bother showing up at all. This is a major reason I will not attend this show now.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

@P0CKETCHANGE said:

There was a lack of collector attendance as the bourse never achieved a hum. After a great day on Thursday, there were reasonable expectations for Friday sales that never materialized. In quantitative terms, GFRC's Friday sales amounted to 6% of Thursday sales. I've never seen such a weak Friday at either a Fall or Spring show. Clearly the issue was lack of collector attendance as the bourse was close to empty by 1:30 PM. Usually, on a Friday, the PCGS and NGC submission booths will be five to ten people deep waiting for a seat to conduct their submission. At this show, there was never a queue. One could walk up to the any of the three booth, including CACG, immediately securing a seat. This is yet more corroboration of the lack of show attendance.

Quite the difference a day makes it would seem.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder if there was any other events occuring in the area to take away would be show goers.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 11, 2023 10:11AM

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Wonder if there was any other events occuring in the area to take away would be show goers.

Not on a Friday. It was just a miserable, cold, rainy day. Plus, it was still Baltimore.

Given how good Thursday apparently was, it seems as though people just planned ahead, and a lot of activity that normally takes place on Friday was pushed forward to Thursday in anticipation of the weather.

• Options

Just got back from today's show with the usual SAFE environment - unless you include a couple of 8 year olds on skateboards....PCGS was about 10 deep though left about 10 foreigns and some hopeful US coins. Couldn't get to ATS though as time ran out. Many dealers were gone but still a fair number of collectors milling about.
    I couldn't look at much on offer as I had to get home to take my son to football game.

• Options
    coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭

I was there on Thursday. It was not as busy as past years when I have gone. Did some lot viewing with Stacks and Bowers, co signed some things to gc, and bought 2 coins. It was a success for me in doing everything I wanted to do.

One thing I have noticed is APMEX has a table but they never seem to show up. Their table was empty again.

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• Options
    JimWJimW Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭

I went in right at 10am this morning, there were not many people entering at that time (i.e., not early birds). I went directly to the PCGS table and pulled up a seat. Took maybe 5 minutes to get someone and another 10 or so to fill out the submission form, etc. From there went to GC and dropped off a few coins. Was cruising the bourse by 1030, my rough guestimate was about 2/3 of tables were empty and there were definitely a noticeable number packing up their wares to head out. Having said that, there was still plenty of material to be had, so I actually enjoyed being able to walk up to just about any table without battling for space. Per @coinandcurrency242, one dealer told me there were some tables that were empty over the entire show. Although posted parking price was $28 for the time I spent, it only came up as $15 when I paid :)

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• Options
    dhikewhitneydhikewhitney Posts: 365 ✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    I used to attend this show regularly. Unfortunately the crime issue has made my wife hesitant to go, and travel is not what it used to be.

Yes, always nervous now in Baltimore; used to go for day trips, concerts, sports, and coin show but try to avoid now; I went to this show the previous two years but figure it is not worth the location risk.

• Options

@7Jaguars said:
    I continue to be amazed by this "crime issue" - this is IMHO a complete non-entity. Common sense being the order of the day of course, but I have seen NOTHING of concern ever in more than 30 years...

Perhaps you don't live in the area ...

• Options

@ianrussell said:
    I'm on my way back now from Baltimore - sitting next to the infamous Kevin Lipton. My team is still there doing the real work.

It was a very busy show yesterday. And I expect it to be busy today as well going by the number of collectors staying through Saturday.

Re: Safety. The show really does make everyone feel safe. There's a very large security presence in and around the show. Security include uniformed Baltimore police. A lot of them. That being said, I was not venturing around the city at night. How things have changed. When I first attended Baltimore 20 years ago, we would be walking around the city at night all over the place.

• Ian

Yes, there is a reason there are so many uniformed Baltimore police. Inside the show, there is safety. Not venturing around the city improves the odds.

• Options

@dhikewhitney said:

@BillJones said:
    I used to attend this show regularly. Unfortunately the crime issue has made my wife hesitant to go, and travel is not what it used to be.

Yes, always nervous now in Baltimore; used to go for day trips, concerts, sports, and coin show but try to avoid now; I went to this show the previous two years but figure it is not worth the location risk.

Give me a break. Of course you are entitled to not attend the show but I am getting tired of those who choose to use the excuse of criminal activity in Baltimore as the reason.🙄

The show is located at the Convention Center in a safer part of Baltimore with a strong police presence and is held during daylight hours. I have NEVER heard of anyone attending the coin show report they were harrassed, assaulted or robbed by anyone.

However, I have heard and read numerous comments by members who actually ATTENDED shows the past few years report they were able to safely attend the shows.😎

I went in 2019 and 2020 during the W quarters release and never had or saw any issues. Also I recently attended baseball and now football games without incident. 😎

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2023 9:06AM

Baltimore is a dump! But don't feel bad, it's just like Philadelphia, Chicago, New York City, DC, San Francisco, LA and Seattle! Any questions?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@dhikewhitney said:

@BillJones said:

Give me a break. Of course you are entitled to not attend the show but I am getting tired of those who choose to use the excuse of criminal activity in Baltimore as the reason.🙄

The show is located at the Convention Center in a safer part of Baltimore with a strong police presence and is held during daylight hours. I have NEVER heard of anyone attending the coin show report they were harrassed, assaulted or robbed by anyone.

However, I have heard and read numerous comments by members who actually ATTENDED shows the past few years report they were able to safely attend the shows.😎

I went in 2019 and 2020 during the W quarters release and never had or saw any issues. Also I recently attended baseball and now football games without incident. 😎

Yes, whether to go or not due to increased risk from crime is a personal decision and the immediate consequences are personal; just not worth the risk to me (but I tend to park off premises and walk to the show). It's not like anyone else is going to help you if you are assaulted off premises. It would be fast and furious and then the police report.

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:
    Baltimore is a dump! But don't feel bad, it's just like Philadelphia, Chicago, New York City, DC, San Francisco, LA and Seattle! Any questions?

Yes. If attending the show is SO unsafe then why does Whitman continue to choose Baltimore for their shows? Not just one but THREE each year? More importantly, why does our host continue to support the shows?🤔

• Options

@dhikewhitney said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@dhikewhitney said:

@BillJones said:

Yes, whether to go or not due to increased risk from crime is a personal decision and the immediate consequences are personal; just not worth the risk to me (but I tend to park off premises and walk to the show). It's not like anyone else is going to help you if you are assaulted off premises. It would be fast and furious and then the police report.

My issue is not just with your post. There are many that are promoting fear of the unknown. What if?

Stuff happens everywhere. My point is don't let others scare you away from attending the show if you really want to attend.

I watch and read the news...there hasn't been any incidents with attending the show.😎

• Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2023 9:29AM

How many dealers/tables are we talking about at this big regional show ? 150-200 ?

So about 1/3rd the size of the big nationalshows ?

• Options

@1madman said:
    “I watch and read the news...there hasn't been any incidents with attending the show.😎”

You don’t truly understand what is happening in an area until you are an emergency room physician. The news organizations are oblivious to 80%+ of what actually happens.

My wife is an ER nurse at Hopkins. I understand what is happening in the city of Baltimore. My comments are directed to attending the Whitman coin show at the Convention Center. 😎

I welcome you to post any incidents regarding patients that you know of that were assaulted while walking to/from the coin show. I know HIPPA laws limit what you can say but you can provide general details.😉

• Options

@BillJones said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@dhikewhitney said:

@BillJones said:

The key date is 2020. That’s when the riots started. The bad guys got within the shadows of the convention center. They looted and burned down a CVS drug store. Before, you always had to deal with sometimes aggressive panhandlers and the like. But now even places like the Inner Harbor have crime issues.

If you are a local person who can come and go during the day, that’s one thing. When you are at a hotel, it’s another. My wife would like to go out and do things. She doesn’t feel safe. I can’t change her feelings. She’s not going to sit in the hotel room all day and night.

Agreed but the riots didn't happen during the coin show.🤣😂

• Options

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@OAKSTAR said:

Yes. If attending the show is SO unsafe then why does Whitman continue to choose Baltimore for their shows? Not just one but THREE each year? More importantly, why does our host continue to support the shows?🤔

You're kidding me, right?? BECAUSE THEY'RE PROTECTED BY GUNS THAT'S WHY!! Trust me, if there was no security with GUNS these shows would not be happening................anywhere!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

The high end market continues to be strong. Definitely a softening of common raw material, I stopped at a dealer's shop last week who was still pricing a lot of raw coins over Greysheet, I guess he hasn't gotten the memo yet.

• Options
    edited November 12, 2023 11:00AM

@1madman said:
    “I watch and read the news...there hasn't been any incidents with attending the show.😎”

You don’t truly understand what is happening in an area until you are an emergency room physician. The news organizations are oblivious to 80%+ of what actually happens.

News organizations are not oblivious. They know exactly what is happening. They refuse to report it!

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

@WQuarterFreddie said:

@OAKSTAR said:

You're kidding me, right?? BECAUSE THEY'RE PROTECTED BY GUNS THAT'S WHY!! Trust me, if there was no security with GUNS these shows would not be happening................anywhere!

You are supporting my opinion which is it is safe to attend the coin shows in Baltimore. Thank you.😎

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file